PDA

View Full Version : Buying certified products (Steiner, UDA ect) off eBay

Klattsy
07-18-2010, 05:38 AM
Hi All,

Actually had this posted in Autographs Central but thought it belongs here...

In my endless quest to obtain sports memorabilia down here at a reasonable price, I have resorted to eBay auctions.

Can anyone tell me how hard it would be to forge a Steiner or UDA COA?

Are there any other reputable brands to be accepting COA's from? Obviously Joe Blows Card Shop COA is no good...

What kind of things should i be looking out for?

Thanks!
Mark.

Klattsy
07-20-2010, 02:51 AM
OK, here are 4 examples of why I am looking at eBay. Can anyone please tell me if there is something obvious in these that should alert me to being fake? As far as I can tell they all have decent COA's...

COLBY RASMUS AUTOGRAPHED OML BASEBALL STEINER COA! (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270607860665&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1154)

JIM PALMER "HOF 90" INSCRIPTION BASEBALL STEINER MLB (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140426706438&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1154)

CHIEN-MING WANG SIGNED JERSEY YANKEES MAJESTIC PSA (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220637576399&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1154)

BRETT GARDNER SIGNED YANKEES 8X10 ACTION PHOTO STEINER (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140425274843&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_726wt_1137)

Stretch
07-20-2010, 03:17 PM
All of them look good. The credit card size COA is the newest version.

I've seen very few steiner fakes.

Klattsy
07-21-2010, 12:37 AM
So would I be stupid to think that any item on eBay with a Stiener COA is legit?

Obviously getting IP autos are the ultimate goal, but if you where going to buy an auto, Steiner, UDA, Tristar (?), Mounted Memories...how often do you see fake versions of them?

Stretch
07-21-2010, 08:14 PM
UDA, Steiner, MLB/NFL/NBA authenticated would be your best bet if you want to feel safe about the item being legit. On Ebay I have seen a fake steiner baseball that someone removed the signature and signed Barack Obama & Michael Jordan on it. Well, MJ is signed with UDA, so to me it was an obvious fake, but when you put the COA code into the database it came up as the actual signed player that signed it.

IP autographs will only get you so far if you want to sale them in the future. Getting them authenticated by psa/dna would be an added bonus, but only if you want to sale them.

Klattsy
07-22-2010, 02:52 AM
OK. I couldn't find the Steiner COA database on their website, did you have a link? The UD one is outdated and I emailed them a query, took 3 days to get back to me. No good when you're watching an auction end.

So I guess, do people feel 100% secure buying a Steiner/UDA/MLB Authenticated item off eBay?

Mark.

saketm
07-22-2010, 08:50 AM
Klattsy. MLB and UDA have serial numbers where you can track them and UDA has the letter long authentication so there is really no question that they could be faked. Steiner is very legit too because of the credit card COA and sometimes there is a barcode so they can track the number. Its hard to make a fake auto with one of these companies hologram and LOA/COA because when I worked at Steiner they have some special machines for the credit card COA. With these companies your getting nothing but the real deal, hence the higher price.

edgerrin32
07-22-2010, 12:43 PM
Have to put my 2 cents in here! First them homemade COA's are junk and worthless! Also with UD, Stiener, Mounted Memories, etc. It not really that people fake the Coa's most times its a bait and switch. They have a cheap worthless item, they remove the sticker on the item and put it on the fake "say Jordan" auto and call it real because it has the COA! Also with like PSA/DNA or JSA etc. They are junk as well, I have seen tons of fake certified by them. Check out this video about them! lol

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/news/FBI_70_of_Autographs_Sold_OnLine_Are_Fake

Just because it has a COA doesn't mean its real. But many people think that that little COA makes it real and they buy fakes all the time! I have seen fakes sell for more than real one! Always do some homework on the auto you are buying!:winking0071::smokin:

saketm
07-22-2010, 05:18 PM
edgerrian- the thing is though, when you try to remove a hologram...the talc comes off the hologram is voided automatically. When working at Steiner if I messed up on a hologram I would try to take it off, but there would always be a leftover from the hologram so you would have to use a new one.

Klattsy
07-22-2010, 10:09 PM
I know that Steiner and UDA are reputable companies, i'm more worried about the people reselling them on eBay. Unfortunately I can't afford to purchase direct of Steiner which is why I was so tempted by the eBay prices.

I guess the trap would be the bait and switch because when looking at an ebay picture you never see the whole item to see if anything has been removed. I don't think i'd trust a 2nd hand sale of a PSA/DNA certified item as to get the PSA cert all you have to do is trick PSA into thinking it's real.

I'm trying to get rid of any doubt in my mind, at the moment my memorabilia collection is 100% IP or Certified by Australian Companies. I know 100% of my stuff is legit. My fear is if I buy any of this stuff of eBay i'll have doubts when I look at my collection :(

Mark.

CRJSr9
07-22-2010, 10:42 PM
pcmb-

CRJSr9
07-22-2010, 10:46 PM
if you think everthing is fake-then the only way to have piece of mind is by directly from stiener,uda.

Klattsy
07-22-2010, 11:37 PM
if you think everthing is fake-then the only way to have piece of mind is by directly from stiener,uda.

You're right, that's probably my only solution. Maybe I should just stick to my cards. Maybe i'm just to paranoid. But the prices are just so tempting :) I mean $130 for a Glavine ball off Steiner (http://www.steinersports.com/tom-glavine-autographed-game-used-baseball-phillies-at-mets-6-05-2007) or $40 of eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370409036608&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_928)...

I was just trying to gauge people's opinions on what they thought about eBay resellers...I think i've convinced myself out of it :(

Thanks all.

Mark.

CRJSr9
07-23-2010, 12:10 AM
oh-i know i just bought a uda alex rodriguez ball for 40.00 off of ebay.thats the chance we take as collectors-if you dont get everthing in person.

Klattsy
07-23-2010, 12:24 AM
Really, wow! See its temptation like that that makes me wanting it :) Got a link?

Are you concerned at all that it might not be real?

Mark.

CRJSr9
07-23-2010, 01:06 AM
i think its real-here check it out
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180527070461&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Klattsy
07-23-2010, 01:22 AM
Nice, i'd email UD the hologram number while you're waiting for it. They replied to me in about 3 days when I queried an item....http://cgi.ebay.com/ALEX-RODRIGUEZ-SIGNED-UDA-ALL-STAR-JERSEY-LE-103-RARE-/270608346895?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0183af0f#ht_500wt_928

And they said it was real...

Mark.

CRJSr9
07-23-2010, 02:13 AM
i called and they said its a old hologram because it wasn't on the site but it matched up in there computer.

Redman5006
07-23-2010, 09:58 PM

My thoughts also. I just use a little common sense when making a purchase. If the player has a very unique signature (Ken Griffey Jr.) it will be harder to fake. These type autos are a little safer to buy without a coa. For instance, Hank Aarons auto as he has gotten older is not the same as it once was. Sometimes his sig looks like a child signed his name and it would be easier to fake. Those type autos are the ones such as Aarons that I get concerned about and will go the Steiner route. I was lucky enough to get a steiner Aaron ball for my collection. As far as the holograms go, I am pretty sure they are tamper resistant. Always do plenty of homework before making a purchase. Just my 2 cents.

Klattsy
07-24-2010, 05:00 AM
My thoughts also. I just use a little common sense when making a purchase. If the player has a very unique signature (Ken Griffey Jr.) it will be harder to fake. These type autos are a little safer to buy without a coa. For instance, Hank Aarons auto as he has gotten older is not the same as it once was. Sometimes his sig looks like a child signed his name and it would be easier to fake. Those type autos are the ones such as Aarons that I get concerned about and will go the Steiner route. I was lucky enough to get a steiner Aaron ball for my collection. As far as the holograms go, I am pretty sure they are tamper resistant. Always do plenty of homework before making a purchase. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks Redman, I wasn't planing on buying autos WITHOUT COA's, it was just the reselling of UDA, Steiner Autos on eBay...

Vegas
07-27-2010, 05:34 PM
I have been buying certified memorabilia off eBay for years and have never had any problems. All of the major memorabilia companies (UDA, TriStar, Steiner, MM, etc) and authenticators (JSA, PSA/DNA) have tamper-proof hologram stickers that will fall apart if you try to remove them from the item. Most of the baseball memorabilia from Steiner and UDA also has the serial-numbered MLB hologram, which can be verfied on the MLB website.

The retail prices for Steiner, UDA, etc are pretty high, so I buy almost exclusively on eBay. My advice would be to buy from good dealers with lots of feedback. But eBay does a very good job of protecting buyers and if you ever receive an item that looks fishy, you can file a claim and get your money back (in most cases). I have had to file a few claims over the years and I have always been able to return the item and get my money back.