PDA

View Full Version : Custom Card Contest - SCF's Race for the Trio 2010-2011 Leg 7

reoddai
11-01-2010, 01:13 PM
Custom Card Contest
SCF's Race for the Trio 2010-2011 Leg 7

How to win?
Submit a custom card of your own personal design. Submission will be judged on their originality, creativity and appeal

When submitting a card

You must MAIL your card to reoddai (http://www.sportscardforum.com/private.php?do=newpm&u=10980) (PM me for details)
The card must be hockey themed
The card can be a base, insert, oversized, game used, patch, cut auto or any type of card (even a new one never seen before!)
If you have submitted your card design for a previous SCF contest, you cannot submit that card again for this contest.
You can only submit one card for consideration

What can you win?
The First place winner will receive the top voter here!
http://www.sportscardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1267777

Vote on it here! (http://www.sportscardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1267777)

Rules to Enter
- Digg this contest!: http://digg.com/news/sports/sports_card_forum_sports_cards_community_6
- & Digg the main contest: http://digg.com/news/sports/Win_a_Cup_Triple_Autograph_of_Orr_Esposito_Bucyk_w ith_SCF
If you do not know how to DIGG, please have a look at this tutorial:
http://www.sportscardforum.com/showthread.php?t=578411
- Member must be in good standing, no major infractions or suspensions for the duration of this contest
- You allow SCF to display your entry in the SCF magazine
- Cards must be post marked by January 31st, 2011

How will points be scored?
- 1st place gets 10 Trio Points
- 2nd place gets 8 Trio Points
- 3rd place gets 6 Trio Points
- 4th place gets 5 Trio Points
- 5th place gets 4 Trio Points
- 6th place gets 3 Trio Points
- 7th place gets 2 Trio Points
- 8th place gets 1 Trio Points

Good luck everyone! We're looking forward to seeing some really great designs!

As the staff have to judge this contest, staffers are not be allowed to enter. That being said, please feel free to showcase your card, even if they aren't eligible to win, they are still works of art.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would you like to get in on this contest, but maybe don't know how to get started?

Tutorial on graphics editing. Its just the basics, but it'll get you started.
http://www.pixeldigest.com/custom_baseball_cards.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

List of users that have dugg. Once I receive your custom card, I will mark it next to your name.

Sumitted
zPens87z - Received
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff284/reoddai/zzz_Articles/20110303%20-%20CCC/zPenz87z.jpg

newfchef - Received
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff284/reoddai/zzz_Articles/20110303%20-%20CCC/Newfchef.jpg

Tha Penguin - Received
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff284/reoddai/zzz_Articles/20110303%20-%20CCC/ThaPenguin.jpg

wolf1bh - Received
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff284/reoddai/zzz_Articles/20110303%20-%20CCC/Wolf16h.jpg

gatesnapper - Received
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff284/reoddai/zzz_Articles/20110303%20-%20CCC/gatesnapper.jpg

Entry in the mail:
TMacfreak91

oilfan10
11-06-2010, 03:34 AM
Will joke cards be frowned upon?

xelloss1012
11-06-2010, 11:00 AM
Digg #2. Same username on digg.

TMacfreak91
11-07-2010, 07:08 PM
Well it's safe to say that I'll be entering this one boys lol

Steve

MasonRaymond0320
11-07-2010, 07:47 PM
:O

Definitely entering this contest. Gotta come up with a design...should be a fun project to work on :)

Andrew

Crater_Satori
11-07-2010, 08:43 PM
This should be interesting. :smokin:

CSSports
11-07-2010, 08:49 PM
I have a design - How do i make the card?

TMacfreak91
11-07-2010, 10:47 PM
Just outta curiosity...when it says you can only submit one card for consideration is that saying we can only submit one actual card, or one card DESIGN? Because if it's the latter, I'd probably send one of a couple different players.

Steve

oilfan10
11-07-2010, 11:03 PM
I have a few questions as well:

1. Can digitized/facsimile autographs can be included on the card?

2. Am i allowed to make a card that's comedic?

TMacfreak91
11-08-2010, 12:35 AM

You REALLY want to make something funny don't you Jordan? :sign0020:

Steve

reoddai
11-08-2010, 03:55 PM
G'ack, I haven't been getting e-mailed with updates to this thread!!!

Here are some responses:

Will joke cards be frowned upon?
Submission will be judged on their originality, creativity and appeal

If its a "nice" joke, you'll get some smiles. If its a "nasty joke", then it would probably be frowned upon. Certainly, nothing profane. Remember, the people judging are collectors just like you. Poking fun is fine.

I have a design - How do i make the card?

There are a few ways to make the card. You can print on paper, cut carefully and glue it to some card stock (or a base card that you don't want). Some people like to print on labels that you can stick onto a card. You can also go to a local print store or copy center and ask them to print it directly onto card stock. There are lots of opportunities.

Just outta curiosity...when it says you can only submit one card for consideration is that saying we can only submit one actual card, or one card DESIGN? Because if it's the latter, I'd probably send one of a couple different players.

Steve

You can submit as many cards as you want, but only one will be in the "judging" for the prizes. Basically, you can't place first AND second. Your best work gets considered and the rest will be eye candy.

1. Can digitized/facsimile autographs can be included on the card?

1. Yes, digitized / facsimile autos can be included. really, you can do anything you want. Heck, you can cut up an old sock and make a "GU Sock" card. Go for it, be creative.

2. Answer above, but yes, comedic is fine.

reoddai
11-08-2010, 03:58 PM
oilfan10 & TMacfreak91

Please be sure to DIGG the contest! Link is in the first post.

TMacfreak91
11-08-2010, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the advice! I'll digg it later tonight when I get some more time...can't wait to get going on mine again...it's been far too long :)

Steve

claudehabs
11-08-2010, 10:46 PM
dugg both

reoddai
11-09-2010, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the advice! I'll digg it later tonight when I get some more time...can't wait to get going on mine again...it's been far too long :)

Steve

dugg both

I didn't see a comment in the dugg thread from either of you, so I can't tell who dugg the contest. Please be sure to comment on the digg as well.

Cheers,
reoddai

TMacfreak91
11-30-2010, 06:43 PM
Consider me DUGG! I think everyone will love my submission as it will have a REAL auto on it already :)

Steve

TMacfreak91
12-05-2010, 02:54 AM
Any update on what the prize is? Only a few more weeks left!

Steve

reoddai
12-05-2010, 04:15 PM
Any update on what the prize is? Only a few more weeks left!

Steve

Asked & answered:
http://www.sportscardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1267777

Since you are sending your cards to me, these prizes come from me. Hopefully, I made some tough choices to decide between

zPens87z
12-07-2010, 10:01 PM
"Dugg" both. PM Sent
I will send my submission out tomorrow, I hope to see some really cool customs and hope to see more of these kind of contests in the future.
(in my humble opinion, I think these kind of contests are the best)

newfchef
12-08-2010, 08:27 AM
i dugg and sent my terrible card to you last week. you should have it

KangoBass
12-08-2010, 04:59 PM
dugg both, and I'm currently in the concept stage. more to come.

Crater_Satori
12-27-2010, 11:25 AM
Any chance of getting a 2 week extension on this contest? How many entries have made it in?

KangoBass
12-28-2010, 05:23 PM
I'm mailing mine either tomorrow or the day after.

reoddai
12-30-2010, 11:17 PM
Any chance of getting a 2 week extension on this contest? How many entries have made it in?

I've got two in hand. I'll ask about the extension to the rest of the hockey team.

KangoBass
12-31-2010, 02:14 PM
I still need to finish the back of my card but the holidays have pushed me around. If we have an extension then I will be able to submit it, if not I will wait until next year.

reoddai
12-31-2010, 04:43 PM
We've decided to extend the deadline for the competition to allowed a couple more entrants.

All entries must be post-marked by Jan 31st. That's a 4 week extension. Last chance folks!

Cheers!

wolf1bh
12-31-2010, 05:10 PM
lol i was workin on mine all morning and just read this. oh well i guess i don't have to go to the post office today then! sounds good.

reoddai
12-31-2010, 05:15 PM
You can always mail it in early ;)

I didn't see any objections, so hopefully everyone is happy with this.

Crater_Satori
01-01-2011, 09:53 AM
Thank you for the extension. :thumb:

gatesnapper
01-06-2011, 12:26 PM
dug and dug.

got to get moving here. late entry!!!

Tha Penguin
01-13-2011, 01:10 PM
Digging now and will PM for address!

Tha Penguin
01-14-2011, 02:38 PM
Mailed the card this morning! Thanks for the contest!
Can't wait to see all of the submissions!

scottkoz20
01-14-2011, 02:46 PM
dugg this... I'm going to try my hand at this... pm incoming

cbrjunkie888
01-14-2011, 02:47 PM
Dugg
and entry Lucky #13

reoddai
01-14-2011, 03:07 PM
Dugg
and entry Lucky #13

You're #12.

I dugg it to get the ball rolling, but I can't enter, so nuts to me

Another may have dugg it, but hasn't posted their username. Probably another mod to help out. Thanks to Anon #13!

Keep em coming folks. The end of the month is fast approaching!

stankskunk
01-16-2011, 11:50 PM
If I get some extra time this week I'll send one in. Really neat idea!

reoddai
01-17-2011, 08:52 AM
If I get some extra time this week I'll send one in. Really neat idea!

Don't forget to digg the contest too!

Cheers,
reoddai

gatesnapper
01-20-2011, 09:17 AM
card design is done, just have to print now.

gatesnapper
01-21-2011, 11:18 AM
once the deadline passes. can we scan cards and post here? or should it wait till the magazine?

reoddai
01-21-2011, 12:47 PM
once the deadline passes. can we scan cards and post here? or should it wait till the magazine?

Deadline still isn't for 10 days. Once I get all the cards in, i'll post scans in this thread.

Feel free to post your own scans of cards, but only those I receive will be eligible for the contest prize.

Cheers!
reoddai

reoddai
01-26-2011, 04:30 PM
The cut-off date is fast approaching! Get your cards in the mail ASAP!

gatesnapper
01-29-2011, 07:42 PM
Mailing on Monday. The last day. Sorry.

gatesnapper
01-31-2011, 02:59 PM
Mailed. Sorry for waiting till the last day.

reoddai
01-31-2011, 03:15 PM
Mailed. Sorry for waiting till the last day.

No worries. last day is still as good as any other day to be involved in a contest. Just hope that I get it soon!

Cheers,
reoddai

zPens87z
02-03-2011, 12:26 AM
For those who got this in on time (the original due date)

The waiting is killing me.

reoddai
02-03-2011, 08:57 AM
For those who got this in on time (the original due date)

The waiting is killing me.

No more extensions, so its set now. I've got three in hand. Just hope the others come quickly.

Cheers,
reoddai

Tha Penguin
02-03-2011, 09:36 AM
Did mine arrive yet?

reoddai
02-03-2011, 09:46 AM
Did mine arrive yet?

Yes, I got it. To show that I have it without giving away the theme of the card I can say:

I don't remember him ever playing on a Stanley cup winning team:winking0071:

wolf1bh
02-03-2011, 03:20 PM
i sent mine about 6 days ago. did you get?

reoddai
02-03-2011, 04:55 PM
i sent mine about 6 days ago. did you get?

I haven't received anything in the last few days. That plus since you are from the US means and the recent snowstorm, that it won't be here any time soon.

Depending on how you shipped it it could take as little as 1-2 weeks or as long as 4

Tha Penguin
02-06-2011, 10:22 AM
Yes, I got it. To show that I have it without giving away the theme of the card I can say:

I don't remember him ever playing on a Stanley cup winning team:winking0071:

WHAT?!?!?!?! How could you forget the time he hoisted that fabled cup???
HAHAAHA, jokez

wolf1bh
02-11-2011, 12:52 PM
any new word yet, how many cards are you still waiting on?

zPens87z
02-11-2011, 05:04 PM

This. Would like to know

reoddai
02-11-2011, 08:42 PM

I'm going to do a tally on how many I have versus how many people signed up. I have 4 cards in hand, 12 registrants and one person saying they didn't send.

If the other members who signed up and whose card I haven't received don't contact me, I'll just close the contest, post the scans, get the judging done and... award the prize.

First off, I want to thank those who submitted on the first deadling for their patience. Its been a long road, but the end IS in sight.

Cheers,
reoddai

Tha Penguin
02-11-2011, 11:02 PM
Looking forward to seeing the outcome... even if it's only four cards...

Tha Penguin
02-15-2011, 01:46 AM
How many are we waiting on now then?

reoddai
02-15-2011, 09:56 AM
How many are we waiting on now then?

I've updated the first post to show how many responses I've gotten and what I'm still waiting on. Remember, I'm in Canada and many submitters are from the states. There are good days where it takes 2 weeks to arrive and bad days when it takes longer.

Cheers,
reoddai

Tha Penguin
02-16-2011, 09:43 AM
True enough!
I'm more excited to see everyones cards than I am about the outcome, haha!

gatesnapper
02-17-2011, 12:50 AM
Hey Matt. I definitely shipped before deadline. Sorry I did not get back to you sooner, I just landed from vacation.

zPens87z
02-17-2011, 12:53 AM
This one might last until march without a vote..
Since the time I sent mine in my card making skills have gotten better.
So. Yeah. Hoping to see how others approached this.

TMacfreak91
02-19-2011, 03:46 AM
Hey Matt, Sorry for not posting sooner! Sent my card the day you sent me your address back in either late December or early January I believe it was. Hope it didn't get lost :/

Steve

newfchef
02-19-2011, 12:13 PM
Little disgusted with this one to be honest. I rushed to get my card done and shipped by late november/early december with xmas shipping backlog so that it would be in on time. Had I know i could of held off and done a better job on the card. Not pleased at all

zPens87z
02-19-2011, 01:49 PM
Little disgusted with this one to be honest. I rushed to get my card done and shipped by late november/early december with xmas shipping backlog so that it would be in on time. Had I know i could of held off and done a better job on the card. Not pleased at all

I would say I'm saddened more than disgusted. I also rushed mine in. Would've changed the design had I known. But its for the fun of the hobby.

Tha Penguin
02-19-2011, 07:17 PM
I also rushed on mine due to the initial deadline but it's all in good fun anyway.
I just sent a digital copy of my card via PM to show the full potential.
It's not like anybody loses anything out of the contest, geez.

We getting close to close-time now?

TMacfreak91
02-20-2011, 08:29 AM
See I had my card designed and ready to ship just as early as you guys did, I had PMed Matt for his address but he was out of town I believe so I didn't get his address til the day he extended the contest. The moral of the story: This is something I'd like to think that we all did for fun. It's just a contest people.
It's looking like my entry got lost in the mail so I guess I'll send a digital copy of mine too, that was a pretty good idea Tha Penguin!

Steve

Tha Penguin
02-20-2011, 10:02 AM
Yea, not sure how a digital copy will help if he doesn't receive your post mail.
I just sent the digital copy to show the full potential of the card I made and shipped in. Anyway, like we both said, it's all in fun!

I just wanna see everyone's creations!!!!

TMacfreak91
02-20-2011, 04:59 PM
Now that the entry period is over, are we allowed to post designs here?

Steve

reoddai
02-20-2011, 05:45 PM
Now that the entry period is over, are we allowed to post designs here?

Steve

If people want to post images, I'm okay with that, but I won't post anything in the first thread until I get all the entries.

Cheers,
reoddai

Tha Penguin
02-21-2011, 04:10 PM
This is taking forever, haha

gatesnapper
02-22-2011, 01:29 PM
i also have a digital copy, that i could post if other are. I am curious to see other designs, and get feedback.

im not so sure mine ever got to Matt. I mailed mine over 3 weeks ago.

reoddai
02-22-2011, 03:14 PM
gatesnapper - PM sent

To everyone who has been a little disappointed with this contest, I want to apologize.

This is the first year that a custom card contest was run and there are a few kinks to work out. I had great hopes for this, so much so that I opted to spring for the cost of the box because I felt that whomever won deserved something better than just a card from my tradelist (http://www.sportscardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1267777). Obviously having a deadline for mailing in the middle of the Christmas Holidays was not the best choice. Prior to the extension though, I had two entries in hand. It really was necessary to open it up a little more.

If you have comments on how this can be run again in the future, I would love to hear them. When, how, etc. Even if you just want to vent, I'm happy to listen to non-abusive PMs.

In the meantime, I just beg for some patience please. The time to mail and receive the entries was always considered for time frame. I know that you all want it done right away, but if your entry was in the mail, you'd wish everyone else had waited too.

Cheers,
reoddai

TMacfreak91
02-22-2011, 03:41 PM
To be honest, the only things I'd recommend for future, are maybe making this a long-term contest where you can submit entries until the end of regular season perhaps? And as you already mentioned, that would help ensure less confusion/problems with having to mail around holiday time. Just my 2 cents.

Here's a digital copy of one of my customs and a scan of a finished and signed version:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/TMacfreak91/miller-intl-inscrips4.gif
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/TMacfreak91/Trading/Hockey/PC/card384.jpg

The concept, as some of you may be familiar with, is the set called International Inscriptions. I wanted the set to have a really cool look, almost acetate-esque that would picture players in their international uniforms, with their country's flag/hockey logo as a watermark where players would sign and add an inscription relating to their international hockey experience. As you can see with the finished Parises, they look BEAUTIFUL when signed and are just plain sexy in person in my opinion anyways lol.

Feel free to leave any feedback or suggestions on how to improve the design. I LOVE hearing things that can be improved, this is a set I plan on working with for a long time.

Steve

TMacfreak91
02-22-2011, 03:42 PM
Oh and I apologize for the yellowish discoloration on the scan of the Parises, that's more of the scanner really, they have a much more blue hue to them just like the Miller design :)

Steve

Tha Penguin
02-22-2011, 05:23 PM
I don't think having the contest run all season is a good concept. I hate contests that take forever to be over...
reasonable time limits are good. Perhaps on the next one you should have these stipulations:

*Must be postamarked by said date
AND
*Must be received by said date

I've had mailers arrive with no postmark on them.
Mail not arriving in time due to PO issues is part of the contest, meaning the sooner you mail in the better.

The main downfall of this contest was the extended period of time.
At first it was more of a contest to see who could make a good card in limited time.
All of a sudden, certain people had way more time to concentrate on making a good finished product (-1).
At the same time, enabled more people to join (+1).

Like you said, it's the first contest of it's kind and should always be looked at as a fun thing anyway.
Once the kinks are ironed out, it should be really cool to see the turnouts.
Could een break the contest off in to categories (best insert set idea, best GU idea, etc.)

At the end of the day, thanks for the contest and thanks for taking the time to address us. Anticipation is still killing me though, HAHA!

by the way, nice card TMackfreak

gatesnapper
02-23-2011, 12:24 PM
I was the last entrant into this contest. I had the largest set of exams in my life in January, which pushed back any time I could use to make the card, so I got mine out just before the deadline. Unfortunately, Matt has yet to recieve my card, which sucks. I told Matt, that if he does not get it this week, just to proceed with the contest without my entry, and I could submit it for the next contest.

Tmac, I really like the ice effect. it looks great with the scrapes and cuts. One question though: did you try increasing the size of the country watermark to where it touches the blue borders and a layer underneath the player? it can get lost underneath a signature sometimes.

reoddai
02-25-2011, 09:50 PM
Just got gatesnapper's entry!

Only waiting on TMacfreak91's entry now.

Given the length of time its taking to reach here and that you mailed it Late Dec, we may have to assume that its lost. I'll wait for Monday's which will put it at a full two months and then close this up if it hasn't been received by then.

Tha Penguin
02-26-2011, 04:10 PM
Did all entried have a postmark on them?
I receive mail all the time without postmarks and so do others because they even re-use the stamps... perhaps the next contest should just be a "must receive by" instead of "postmarked by".

We're closing in on the outcome of this puppy though, can't wait to see people's entries! Good luck to all!!!

reoddai
02-28-2011, 10:09 PM
Did all entried have a postmark on them?
I receive mail all the time without postmarks and so do others because they even re-use the stamps... perhaps the next contest should just be a "must receive by" instead of "postmarked by".

We're closing in on the outcome of this puppy though, can't wait to see people's entries! Good luck to all!!!

All the entries were received in the appropriate time or had an appropriate post-mark.

Okay, still nothing from TMacfreak today. I'm going to have to get this underway. I know everyone is anxious to see the other works of art. If his pieces come in before the judging is finished, there's a chance to be included, but if not, it might be declared lost in the mail.

Just so you know what will happen, I have to:
Scan everyone's work & update to this thread
Get them judged by the Hockey staff
Tally points
Declare winner
Ship

I'll go as quickly as I can, but as I'm sure you know, there's also another contest I'm running:
http://www.sportscardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1335015

Be sure to check it out.

Tha Penguin
02-28-2011, 11:23 PM
Looking forward to the unveil!!!

I hope you don't mind when I make suggestions and whatnot about the contest...
not trying to come off like a d-bag, heh.

Just trying to give contstructive and observational suggestions for future contests like this.

Cheers

reoddai
03-01-2011, 08:51 AM
Looking forward to the unveil!!!

I hope you don't mind when I make suggestions and whatnot about the contest...

PLEASE make suggestions. I'm always looking for ways to make things better.

Tha Penguin
03-02-2011, 10:34 AM
okay, just making sure you didn't get a wrong vibe from me. Cheers

reoddai
03-03-2011, 09:49 PM
No worries ;)

Images uploaded to first post. They all look great. I'll get voting done ASAP and let people know the results.

If any of the artists would like to have their images altered (like names removed), or have their presentation done a little differently, please contact me and changes will be made.

Cheers,
reoddai

Tha Penguin
03-03-2011, 10:38 PM
Awesome! Those are great!!

GRRRRRR, wish I knew I had more time to make the back and do a better print job though... lol, oh well!

Great job to all who entered!

johnbull86
03-03-2011, 11:06 PM
wish I'd seen this before.. do it again! right after this contest is over

gatesnapper
03-04-2011, 12:00 PM
hahahahaha. the ronald mcdonald card is soooo funny! carl, it certainly is a 1/1.

zPens87z & wolf1bh, those are nice. i really like them. the sketch cards are soo cool. There is an ebay user "stevieburks" who makes them and sells them. He sold a Brad Marchand for $7.50!!!! Look for him for inspiration. you both have got something there worth making more.

Tha Penguin
03-04-2011, 01:51 PM
Everyone did a bang on job with this contest!
The next round should be so much fun!

CHEERS TO ALL!

Here's what my card should have looked like:
http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr219/losthadon09/Digital%20Artwork/Custom%20Hockey%20Cards/RonaldCard.jpg

gatesnapper
03-05-2011, 01:31 PM
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z290/gatesnapper/9c061c6a.jpg
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z290/gatesnapper/2c7c2dbb.jpg

waf
03-05-2011, 01:43 PM
All entries look great. The McDonald card looks great. May be the last 1 I see for awhile. Gets my vote.

Only 6 contestants max with an extended deadline. Nobody will finish lower than 6th. Go figures

Looks as if you are taking the race for the trio out of the hands of the masses and putting them into the hands of the computer literate.

If it is a contest for the majority of people . You will need to keep it simple
Live and learn

Tha Penguin
03-05-2011, 02:45 PM
Haha, glad you liked the Ronald card!

In defence of the contest, computer literacy these days is as important as basic reading and writing skills were in the 60s to 80s. It's like saying we shouldn't have a hockey spelling B because not everyone knows how to spell.

Computers are the new age and if people choose not to learn, then it's just that... their choice. Besides, nobody said it had to be a computer generated card.

waf
03-05-2011, 02:55 PM
Haha, glad you liked the Ronald card!

In defence of the contest, computer literacy these days is as important as basic reading and writing skills were in the 60s to 80s. It's like saying we shouldn't have a hockey spelling B because not everyone knows how to spell.

Computers are the new age and if people choose not to learn, then it's just that... their choice. Besides, nobody said it had to be a computer generated card.

I am becoming 1 of the old dudes. 50+ not everyone including the young have the skills/knowledge to make their own cards.

Have some great ideas for the video show and tell leg but no camera or idea how to upload it if I do get it filmed!

On a side note isn't that Mike Camellaria lifting the cup when Carolina
won it?

Tha Penguin
03-05-2011, 03:18 PM
It's all good, perhaps a suggestion in the Contest Section for some contests you'd be able to participate in would be beneficial.

Nope, I kept it close and used Lanny MacDonald's body when Calgary won it ;)

waf
03-05-2011, 03:20 PM
It's all good, perhaps a suggestion in the Contest Section for some contests you'd be able to participate in would be beneficial.

Nope, I kept it close and used Lanny MacDonald's body when Calgary won it ;)

AHA Lanny and the Stash

reoddai
03-05-2011, 04:25 PM
All entries look great. The McDonald card looks great. May be the last 1 I see for awhile. Gets my vote.

Only 6 contestants max with an extended deadline. Nobody will finish lower than 6th. Go figures

Looks as if you are taking the race for the trio out of the hands of the masses and putting them into the hands of the computer literate.

If it is a contest for the majority of people . You will need to keep it simple
Live and learn

I do have to respond to that one.

Computer generated images were not a pre-requisite. That's why we asked that people mail in their entries.

You can see that some were generated in a computer. Another was sketched by hand. While none were submitted, collages are gaining prominence (http://jockpost.com/check-out-awesome-baseball-cards-collages/). Even a creative pop-up, or a carboard cut-out card would have been accepted. For those without a lot of computer knowledge, but with desire to do it, I even included a link to a a simple method of creating a card. A perfect example of a good looking card without needing much computer or artistic skill is Upper Deck series 1 and 2. Its a great photo with sometimes just a name and a colour slash.

There was plenty of time and plenty of opportunity for anyone to submit an entry. The only limitation was the desire to enter.

Tha Penguin
03-05-2011, 04:53 PM
well said

gatesnapper
03-05-2011, 06:43 PM
I used a computer, and felt everyone else would be too. Guess I was wrong...

Tha Penguin
03-05-2011, 11:27 PM
I probably would have done a sketch card also if I knew I had more time.
That could be a seperate contest altogether though!!!

zPens87z
03-06-2011, 10:54 PM
From the entries submitted the variety shows creativity

I say we try this contest again. With a longer buildup.
Just to see some more ideas and possibilities of customs.

reoddai
03-07-2011, 04:49 PM
Okay, the voting is in. It was very close. Just so everyone knows, voting was out of 10 for the three categories: Originality, creativity and appeal. All of the SCF hockey staff was involved and voted each entry on a scale of 1-10. I added all the scores together and the person with the highest score, won!

First place was extremely tight with only two points separating the winner from the runner up.

First place goes to....
gatesnapper!

gatesnapper entered a classy box top, which, if you haven't already seen the first post, you can look at here:
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff284/reoddai/zzz_Articles/20110303%20-%20CCC/gatesnapper.jpg

A very, VERY close Second place goes to...
zPenz87z

Who submitted a stunning quad GU complete with stick, skate, glove & Jersey
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff284/reoddai/zzz_Articles/20110303%20-%20CCC/zPenz87z.jpg

Third place goes to:
wolf16h

With his personalized sketch card of Jonathan Toews
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff284/reoddai/zzz_Articles/20110303%20-%20CCC/Wolf16h.jpg

Follow into fourth place (by only a single point):
ThaPenguin

With R. McDonald's Stanley Cup winning game
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff284/reoddai/zzz_Articles/20110303%20-%20CCC/ThaPenguin.jpg

With Fifth place going to:
Newfchef

For his "Drop the Mitts" fight card:
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff284/reoddai/zzz_Articles/20110303%20-%20CCC/Newfchef.jpg

I want to say that all of the entries are spectacular in person and each and everyone one of you showed some great artistic talents here.

I'll get the grand prize shipped to our winner ASAP and update the 'Race for the trio' with all of your points.

Cheers,
reoddai

wolf1bh
03-07-2011, 05:32 PM
congrats gatesnapper

zPens87z
03-07-2011, 10:20 PM
sigh.

edit: hopefully if this contest is run again it is run with some real regulations and guidelines and not changing deadlines
that makes people who are on time not benefit

wolf1bh
03-08-2011, 12:11 AM
sigh.

edit: hopefully if this contest is run again it is run with some real regulations and guidelines and not changing deadlines
that makes people who are on time not benefit

don't let it get you down so much it's just a fun contest not serious business. ya first place is nice but the prize is just box of score which you can buy for 30 bucks (i mean its still nice of the scf to give away). you still got some nice points for the big contest and showed off a very nice card that got 2nd.

zPens87z
03-08-2011, 12:16 AM
don't let it get you down so much it's just a fun contest not serious business. ya first place is nice but the prize is just box of score which you can buy for 30 bucks (i mean its still nice of the scf to give away). you still got some nice points for the big contest and showed off a very nice card that got 2nd.

It is a little get down. But such is life.
And, it was an awesome concept of a contest for SCF, and I hope that they do this more frequently. And the points for the race for the trio mean nothing to me as this was the only contest I wanted to be in. So what was in it for me was opening product.

But I'll try again next year, new design, fresh concept, newly learned skills.

wolf1bh
03-08-2011, 12:31 AM
yeah but theres still 2 or 3 legs of the trio left. win one of those and youre right in the running for the big prize.

gatesnapper
03-08-2011, 12:12 PM
oh nice. thanks for the votes!

This is the only monthly contest I am participaing in too. The others require too much time and logging in every single day. I also suggest we do another custom card contest. It was very fun. I have some ideas that I want to put to work.

Tha Penguin
03-08-2011, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the contest SCF and congrats to gatesnapper for the win!

lol... I got second last... ouch...