PDA

View Full Version : No Habla Espaņol.........

gridironherosandgreats
11-18-2010, 06:29 PM
For the second time in my life, I was behind a person today in a line, that had the following reply given to him after speaking in a foreign language:

"No Habla Espaņol"

The person in front of me (for the second time in my life) looked at the person he was speaking to in a very bewildered manor, and finally walked away.

The first time I experienced this, it was ACTUALLY IN ARIZONA, this time it was in FLORIDA.

BOTH TIMES - I was very proud to be an English speaking AMERICAN.

P.S. Before someone says - how is this "politics or religion", just look at the state our country........

jeeptrader
11-18-2010, 06:41 PM
I hate having to press 1 for English.........call me a jerk, but why do I(an English speaking American) have to do this? It is even an American phone line!

gatorboymike
11-18-2010, 06:43 PM
Me parece que aprender otro idioma es muy bueno para abrir la mente. Por supuesto, hay mucha gente que no se importa.

JesRey
11-18-2010, 06:48 PM
Everyone should learn... just like the Native Americans were forced to learn "English"

gridironherosandgreats
11-18-2010, 06:48 PM
Me parece que aprender otro idioma es muy bueno para abrir la mente. Por supuesto, hay mucha gente que no se importa.

I understand that it may be considered important to many (including myself) but you should at least be able to speak the language that you presently call home........

gridironherosandgreats
11-18-2010, 06:50 PM
Everyone should learn...

OUT OF RESPECT for the country that has taken you in..............

MadMan1978
11-18-2010, 07:44 PM
So ya'all can anyone tell the National Language of the USA?

duane1969
11-18-2010, 08:28 PM
English is the universal language. Students in many foreign countries are required to learn it in conjunction with their native language.

No, English in not the "national language", but to walk into a business in a country that predominantly speaks a language and speak in another language and be confused why they don't understand you is just ignorant. It would be stupid of me to move to Mexico and expect to exist there without ever learning Spanish, so the same can be said of people who move here.

With that said, it is also a bit backwards to take the "learn our language or get out" position too. I prefer to be an accomodating American rather than a redneckish one. A few years ago I formed a friendship with an immigrant worker who came in my store every day for lunch. Without speaking any of each other's languages we began formed a "partnership.". He would select an item in the store and say "Que Englais" and I would tell him the English word for it and then he would reciprocate by telling me how to say it in Spanish. So in a manner, we were teaching each other how to speak a new langauge. I found that much more fulfilling than refusing to work with him.

Oxxon
11-18-2010, 10:52 PM
I understand that it may be considered important to many (including myself) but you should at least be able to speak the language that you presently call home........

Get use to it and you should learn a second language if you already do not know one. Notice I did not say Spanish just that you learn one....

Funny story.... many times I have had white people talk to me in Spanish and I look at them and say "what?" Of course I can speak Spanish but why do they assume that I can't speak English.

Please don't worry. Its not like Mexican people are going to push you off your land, force on to a reservation and strip you of your culture.

hector234
11-19-2010, 12:07 AM

Though I agree with you to an extent, a lot of people that move here, especially the older ones, don't really take the time out to learn the language. They are still too caught up with sticking to their roots and therefore don't want to learn the new language. That's not to say all people who come live here don't, but there is a big portion.

Theodor Madison
11-19-2010, 12:15 AM
A estos dias la hente no queren aprender engless. Ni queren intended engless.

First time writing , or trying to write in Spanish.
To this day I am proud to be an American Spanglish speaking Hispanic, who knows English very well.

themanishere
11-19-2010, 02:45 AM
It seems too many people have a mentality of "English and nothing else" when said situations arise. Knowing more than one language is extremely useful today, and to say other languages/cultures do not have a significant impact in our society is misguided.

Of course English is necessary to be a functional individual in mainstream society - the idea is there are benefits to be reaped and connections to be made from knowing other languages.

Being Mexican (born here) I'm biliterate in English and Spanish. I learned French in high school/college and dabble in Italian since it is very similar to Spanish. You'd be surprised how often knowing a different language/culture is an awesome skill to have in the workplace, especially considering the trends in globalization.

MadMan1978
11-19-2010, 08:04 AM

Dude have you read any of the the posts in this thread?
there is no language of the place we all call home!

Theodor Madison
11-19-2010, 08:21 AM
As a hispanic, spanish/ english speaking american. I get offended when someone from Texas, NY etc ask me if I speak english? in spanish. Not knowing that my English may be much better than their own. Why do not people grow up. And then there are these Spanish speaking people who do not think you understand, talking with every bad word you can think of. So much class.

duwal
11-19-2010, 02:58 PM
BOTH TIMES - I was very proud to be an English speaking AMERICAN.

really? you're proud of the fact that you only know English as a language. A proud American that is very limited in interacting with others from different countries or cultures :sign0020: I am a proud American that can speak English, French, Russian and Spanish.

also as you said "look at how the country is today", quite honestly with how bad the school systems are many proud English speaking Americans are not even speaking English properly

Star_Cards
11-19-2010, 03:52 PM
I don't have an issue with anyone that lives here and doesn't know the language. It's mainly just leaving themselves at a disadvantage. I don't understand why one wouldn't learn it when so many of the people around speak english, but they have the right to know or not know whatever they want.

gridironherosandgreats
11-19-2010, 05:31 PM
dude have you read any of the the posts in this thread?
There is no language of the place we all call home!

from wikipedia:

english is the most common language in the united states. Though the u.s. Federal government has no official language, english is considered the de facto language of the united states because of its widespread use. English has been given official status by 28 of the 50 state governments.

gridironherosandgreats
11-19-2010, 05:36 PM
really? you're proud of the fact that you only know English as a language.

I never stated that I can only speak English..... I actually know some Spanish, and (even though I was told it is a dead language) some Latin.

gridironherosandgreats
11-19-2010, 05:51 PM
I don't have an issue with anyone that lives here and doesn't know the language. It's mainly just leaving themselves at a disadvantage. I don't understand why one wouldn't learn it when so many of the people around speak english, but they have the right to know or not know whatever they want.

I can actually agree with much of what you have stated (the bold portion). I guess I'm a little 'old school'. If a country opens it's arms to me, I'm going to (at the VERY LEAST) try to reciprocate by learning the language of the country I presently call home.

Case in point: Should I (for some unknown reason) move to Ireland, Canada, Sumatra, China, India, etc....... TOMORROW - simply out of respect for those there (not to mention myself in regards to the language), I would attempt to learn their customs and LANGUAGE.

I feel that is the 'proper' thing to do. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd guess that most of my FELLOW AMERICANS (the legal one's anyway) would feel the same.

hector234
11-19-2010, 07:11 PM
As a hispanic, spanish/ english speaking american. I get offended when someone from Texas, NY etc ask me if I speak english? in spanish. Not knowing that my English may be much better than their own. Why do not people grow up. And then there are these Spanish speaking people who do not think you understand, talking with every bad word you can think of. So much class.

:sign0020: What part of Texas have you gone? I live in Texas, and there is a large hispanic community. When I went to Georgia though, people would ask me that. Funny story, one time I went to get my hair cut at the mall, i sat down on the chair. The lady that was going to cut my hair TRIED to ask me how I wanted my hair cut in spanish. I just responded in english, and she said "oh, sorry, didnt think you spoke english".

theonedru
11-19-2010, 07:27 PM
I can actually agree with much of what you have stated (the bold portion). I guess I'm a little 'old school'. If a country opens it's arms to me, I'm going to (at the VERY LEAST) try to reciprocate by learning the language of the country I presently call home.

Case in point: Should I (for some unknown reason) move to Ireland, Canada, Sumatra, China, India, etc....... TOMORROW - simply out of respect for those there (not to mention myself in regards to the language), I would attempt to learn their customs and LANGUAGE.

I feel that is the 'proper' thing to do. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd guess that most of my FELLOW AMERICANS (the legal one's anyway) would feel the same.

Me thinks if you were to move to Canada the language may not be much of barrier as you may be suprised to know that they speak English there as well.

Kadamscards
11-19-2010, 07:34 PM
soy un profesor de ESL...Oigo espanol todos los dias y muchas veces yo escribo mejor, en espanol, de mis estudiantes. Tambien tengo u vocabulario mas grande que ellos porque ellos llegaron aqui cunado estaban muy joven..jajajaja...

Honestly I like Spanish and understand I its importance... I wouldn't have a job without it. I wish my students would see the advantages they would have if they mastered english, but I still learn spanish and English vocab every day...hahahaha

duane1969
11-19-2010, 08:03 PM
Dude have you read any of the the posts in this thread?
there is no language of the place we all call home!

I think an argument could be made to the contrary. In every school in America there is a required core subject called English where students are expected to learn how to properly speak, read and write the English language. In contrast, languages such as French, German, Chinese and Spanish are electives and not even offered until the secondary level in most school districts.

Is there a law designating English as the national language? No. But there are laws requiring that teachers, who are employees of the government, teach English to a mastery level and those students are subsequently tested every year with standardized test that are mandated by the government to see if they are mastering the language.

Government employees required to teach a language, students tested on their mastery of that language and the government employees facing reprimand and possibly even dismissal if they do not do a good enough job teaching the language...that is about as close to the government designating a national language as you can get without creating a law.

Theodor Madison
11-20-2010, 02:23 PM
Perhaps thats the problem, just because I am hispanic, they only think I know spanish. I can tell you I deal with People that still think New Mexico is a part of Mexico. I am 48 born here in the US and the fact that they think I do not know English bugs me.

:sign0020: What part of Texas have you gone? I live in Texas, and there is a large hispanic community. When I went to Georgia though, people would ask me that. Funny story, one time I went to get my hair cut at the mall, i sat down on the chair. The lady that was going to cut my hair TRIED to ask me how I wanted my hair cut in spanish. I just responded in english, and she said "oh, sorry, didnt think you spoke english".

mcgophers
07-05-2011, 11:40 PM
I'm nearly fluent in Spanish and whenever I am working with somebody who is Hispanic, I always speak English to them first. However, if he or she is having trouble understanding me, I will repeat myself in Spanish and it usually works out. By the way, I am very much Caucasian. I wouldn't mind at least dabbling in another language if I actually had the time to properly learn it though.

OnePimpTiger
07-05-2011, 11:50 PM
When Americans go to a foreign country and make no attempt to learn the language of that country, we are called rude, ignorant Americans.

When others come to America and do the same, we are called rude, ignorant, culturally insensitive Americans.

TheTGB
07-05-2011, 11:54 PM
When Americans go to a foreign country and make no attempt to learn the language of that country, we are called rude, ignorant Americans.

When others come to America and do the same, we are called rude, ignorant, culturally insensitive Americans.

Bingo.

theonedru
07-05-2011, 11:57 PM

"They came with a Bible and their religion, stole our land, crushed our spirit, and now they tell us we should be thankful to the Lord for being saved." - Chief Pontiac

You can't tell me this isn't rude, ignorant and culturally insensitive.

ensbergcollector
07-06-2011, 01:48 AM
my only issue is how what percentage of people need to speak a language before business' should have to cater to that language? What I mean is, I speak a little greek, but I would never get offended if a business didn't have someone on hand who could speak to me. That to me is the only issue with not having a national language. It opens the door to a lot of things.
And for the record, I do speak spanish as well (living in texas you pretty much need to)

andrewhoya
07-06-2011, 09:58 AM
If you're so worried about them learning another language, how about you do the same and learn their native one?

mrveggieman
07-06-2011, 10:04 AM
I don't have a problem with anyone speaking spanish or any other language they like. Unfortunately I only speak english so if anyone wants to have a conversation with me they have to speak in my language. Whenever I need to speak to someone who appears to be of hispanic decent I speak to them in english because that's all I know. If they can't speak english (or don't want to speak to me for that matter) they will simply say that they don't speak english. Funny thing is that I have many hispanic people and even an asian lady come up to me and try to speak to me in spanish. BTW I am Black. Mabey they think that I am dominican.

duane1969
07-06-2011, 10:09 AM
Get use to it and you should learn a second language if you already do not know one. Notice I did not say Spanish just that you learn one....

Funny story.... many times I have had white people talk to me in Spanish and I look at them and say "what?" Of course I can speak Spanish but why do they assume that I can't speak English.

Please don't worry. Its not like Mexican people are going to push you off your land, force on to a reservation and strip you of your culture.

I do this and I consider it to be a form of courteous greeting. I used to work for a few different gas stations and often had foreigner customers who did not speak English begin their attempts to speak with me by saying "Hello" or "Good Afternoon". They are trying to create a comfort zone. I often say "Que pasa" to Latino people in my area. It isn't because I think they don't speak English, it is just being friendly.

It is a Catch22. If I refuse to speak Spanish then I am being close-minded. If I atempt to speak Spanish to someone who appears to be Latino then I am assuming they don't speak English.

Besides, considering the level of Latino immigration into the U.S., isn't it more logical to assume a Latino person will speak Spanish than to assume they speak English?

mrveggieman
07-06-2011, 10:14 AM
I do this and I consider it to be a form of courteous greeting. I used to work for a few different gas stations and often had foreigner customers who did not speak English begin their attempts to speak with me by saying "Hello" or "Good Afternoon". They are trying to create a comfort zone. I often say "Que pasa" to Latino people in my area. It isn't because I think they don't speak English, it is just being friendly.

It is a Catch22. If I refuse to speak Spanish then I am being close-minded. If I atempt to speak Spanish to someone who appears to be Latino then I am assuming they don't speak English.

Besides, considering the level of Latino immigration into the U.S., isn't it more logical to assume a Latino person will speak Spanish than to assume they speak English?

I would think that most people if the are in the united states regardless of what language they speak would understand if you nod their head and say hello to them. They can take the conversation from there if they need something.

duane1969
07-06-2011, 10:31 AM
Perhaps thats the problem, just because I am hispanic, they only think I know spanish. I can tell you I deal with People that still think New Mexico is a part of Mexico. I am 48 born here in the US and the fact that they think I do not know English bugs me.

Funny story. Last week I was in the DMV office with my son and overheard a lady say that she had just moived here from New Mexico and the DMV lady asked her if she had her Green card.

+1

"They came with a Bible and their religion, stole our land, crushed our spirit, and now they tell us we should be thankful to the Lord for being saved." - Chief Pontiac

Brace yourself buddy, the Spanish Conquistadores did the same thing in Central and South America. They forced them to accept Spanish as their language and Catholicism as their religion and killed millions of natives who refused to conform.

Spanish is no more their native language than English is the native language of the USA.

Zaccheus85
07-06-2011, 11:09 AM
Funny story. Last week I was in the DMV office with my son and overheard a lady say that she had just moived here from New Mexico and the DMV lady asked her if she had her Green card.

D'OH!!!!! Funny or sad!?!?!?!?

I am proud to be a natural born American citizen, proud that I live in the greatest country in the world, but perhaps Americans should grow as individuals instead of making immigrants drastically change to become American. While English might be the natural choice to be the national language of the United States of America (since it is the most oft-used language in America for business, education, etc...), would it be better (socially, economically, politically, educationally, etc...) for our nation if all immigrants learn English, or if all Americans to learn another language?

duane1969
07-06-2011, 11:25 AM
D'OH!!!!! Funny or sad!?!?!?!?

Probably more sad, but at the time it struck me funny considering she was a pale white lady with not the slightest of a Latino accent.

OnePimpTiger
07-06-2011, 12:12 PM

Yes, what happened 200-400 years ago was rude, ignorant and culturally insensitive....but it happened 200-400 years ago and has no bearing on the situation now. The fact that our ancestors acted that way back then does not forfeit our right to our opinions today. I guarantee native Americans felt the pioneers should have learned their language instead of asking them to speak English just as we feel foreigners should speak English instead of asking us to speak their language.

armyatc22
07-06-2011, 03:20 PM
Sorry if your in America you need to spit out some English nothing else...if not then take your happy butt back to where ever

theonedru
07-06-2011, 03:39 PM
Sorry if your in America you need to spit out some English nothing else...if not then take your happy butt back to where ever

That's quite the kick in the teeth to those whose languages were spoken here long before English ever was.

mrveggieman
07-06-2011, 04:17 PM
That's quite the kick in the teeth to those whose languages were spoken here long before English ever was.

+1:cheer2:

redsoxx11
07-06-2011, 04:41 PM

Sorry if your in America you need to spit out some English

Thats what she said

andrewhoya
07-06-2011, 04:43 PM
Sorry if your in America you need to spit out some English

Thats what she said

What are we in, 8th grade? Grow up.

lloydr04
07-06-2011, 04:43 PM

And you are exactly?

dherm360
07-06-2011, 04:51 PM
My daughter had a mandatory foreign language--French or Spanish
kind of a no brainer

andrewhoya
07-06-2011, 04:52 PM
My daughter had a mandatory foreign language--French or Spanish
kind of a no brainer

In most high schools, you are required to take a foreign language.

dherm360
07-06-2011, 05:13 PM
I agree, but the choice is really a no brainer

Zaccheus85
07-06-2011, 05:58 PM

1. Perhaps those immigrating to America should learn English, but perhaps Americans should also learn other languages. I am a proponent of immigrants speaking English but perhaps if the majority of Americans were bi/multi lingual the rest of the world would view us more as the land of opportunity and less like a land of ignorant snobs.

2. What if their butts are happy here?

+Another 1

G MO
07-06-2011, 06:13 PM

Really? Ignorance is truly bliss; especially with people making comments like the aforesaid. And this is a testament to what is truly wrong in the United (get the word) States!

Very true! Thank you for further clarifying, and possibly educating those less fortunate.

I am a Latino and people don't understand the hardships we face on a day-to-day basis and its quite irratating. For instance, when I go back home to Arizona to visit family; I am constantly being pulled over by the Border Patrol and having to show my passport and I will NEVER entertain questions from them aside from showing my citizenship documentation. I absolutely hate them! Furthermore, when I am crossing the border back from Mexico; they immediately speak to me in Spanish, which is dumb seeing how they infer/assume that I speak Spanish because of my dark skin.

America is predicated upon freedom unless you are brown and are near a border town.

G

texansrangerfan73
07-06-2011, 06:23 PM
What are we in, 8th grade? Grow up.

Well actually I'm in 7th grade :rolleyes: but I only speak English & will die only speaking English. Call me a small person or whatever but that's my true feelings on it. I also live on the Southern border tip of Texas!!

lloydr04
07-06-2011, 06:29 PM
Well actually I'm in 7th grade :rolleyes: but I only speak English & will die only speaking English. Call me a small person or whatever but that's my true feelings on it. I also live on the Southern border tip of Texas!!

And thats your first language, as you should ... but why should someone have to speak the language you speak if its not their first... spoiler: they don't

andrewhoya
07-06-2011, 06:32 PM

It was towards the immature "sexual" joke that was made.

Once you get to HS, though, you'll probably HAVE to take another language in order to pass.

redsoxx11
07-06-2011, 06:47 PM
I can't wait for the head explosion from GOPers when caucasion the minority in this country

redsoxx11
07-06-2011, 06:48 PM
It was towards the immature "sexual" joke that was made.

Once you get to HS, though, you'll probably HAVE to take another language in order to pass.

it wasnt "sexual" it was geospacial

andrewhoya
07-06-2011, 06:50 PM
I can't wait for the head explosion from GOPers when caucasion the minority in this country

http://2010.census.gov/2010census/data/

It's gonna be awhile, if it ever even does happen.

andrewhoya
07-06-2011, 06:51 PM
it wasnt "sexual" it was geospacial

"That's what she said" jokes are meant to be sexual.

TheTGB
07-06-2011, 06:56 PM
When I went to Puerto Rico, technically part of the US but it feels like it's own country and culture, I spoke Spanish with as many people as I could. I did it out of respect to their heritage and the fact that many people there know more Spanish than English. If you want stats, I'll go get them for you because I have them.

While I took Spanish in school from 7th grade to 11th grade and 2 more years in college I am by no means comfortable using the language. But the people in Puerto Rico seemed pleased I was using a language they were more comfortable with since I was visiting them.

redsoxx11
07-06-2011, 07:15 PM
"That's what she said" jokes are meant to be sexual.

according to you

andrewhoya
07-06-2011, 07:17 PM
according to you

I can now honestly say you have no idea what you are talking about.

redsoxx11
07-06-2011, 07:18 PM
I can now honestly say you have no idea what you are talking about.

:party0053:............

MadMan1978
07-12-2011, 09:36 PM
When America adopts a national language I will listen to this arguments until then I see this as pointless and unproductive.

duane1969
07-12-2011, 09:52 PM
Technically English has been adopted but nobody recognizes it (or remembers it). My wife, who is a history teacher (now a principal), tells me that when the Constitution was written that English was adopted as the language of all legal documents for the new country. She says that German and Latin were considered but rejected because German was read and written by such a small percentage of people and Latin was considered a dying language.

While that is not an "official" mandate of what the national language is, if a legal document written in anything but English will be rejected then that stands as a pretty strong argument.

The wife is supposed to provide me with some documentation concerning this. Will provide it to all as soon as I have it.