PDA

View Full Version : Do you think this auto is good? Ripken Jr.

Sean1125
11-21-2010, 04:16 PM
So this was subbed at the sun times show, and it came back not authentic. I was pretty sure the guy I got this from got it in person (along with a huge collection, most of it had certs)... I don't see any reason one piece would be forged in the collection.

Any ideas?

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l540/sean11251/IMG_1038.jpg

aspoe093
11-21-2010, 05:35 PM
It looks pretty good to me from all the Ripken's I have seen-did they say why it wasn't authentic?

Sean1125
11-21-2010, 05:50 PM
No... It was "traded" to a member of the boards, and when he went to the Sun Times show he said it came back not authentic (like I said, I thought it was signed in person). Ended up just doing part of the trade because of that - I wanted to see if he could get a friend to resub it but he ended up not doing it.

jyosi
11-21-2010, 06:02 PM
It came back not authentic because PSA DNA screws stuff up all the time. What good would re-submitting it do besides prove PSA DNA is garbage? It wouldn't prove it was legit. I can't stand PSA DNA or JSA or any of those companies. It would be amazing to know how many forgeries are floating around as authentic because of these companies.

xpress34
11-21-2010, 07:13 PM
It came back not authentic because PSA DNA screws stuff up all the time. What good would re-submitting it do besides prove PSA DNA is garbage? It wouldn't prove it was legit. I can't stand PSA DNA or JSA or any of those companies. It would be amazing to know how many forgeries are floating around as authentic because of these companies.

I agree and I cannot stand the extraordinary faith people put into companies like PSA-DNA. If you do your research - especially on items from the players own companies:

Stan Musial - Stan the Man Inc
Cal Ripken Jr - Ironclad Authentics
Nolan Ryan - The Ryan Foundation
etc

You can do as well or better than most of these so called experts.

I sent two balls to them back in 2004 and have had nothing to do with them since...

One was an A-Rod ball my buddy got me at Spring Training which I have no doubt was authentic - BUT - I did not get the auto myself. They said they couldn't authenticate it.

The other I got IN PERSON while working for Nike - Albert Pujols w/ ROY Inscription - and they told me they couldn't authenticate it either.

BOTH balls came back with the EXACT same reasons (a form letter) for why they couldn't authenticate them - but they added a section for the Pujols stating that they had never seen a ROY inscription. I guess that means it doesn't exist if they hadn't seen it before?

So don't let PSA/DNA get you down.

All the best -

Smitty

Sean1125
11-21-2010, 07:18 PM
Yah, I had a huge ripken jr collector tell me to send it off to ironclad for authentication, that he was pretty sure it was authentic. I'm pretty sad.