PDA

View Full Version : question about MLB Jerry Coleman

Riggs
12-14-2010, 10:21 PM
Seen on another site, a success from Mr Coleman, Guy got to Baseballs signed by him. He also wrote " HOF 05"

Question is, why did Mr Coleman write "HOF 05" on those balls? He's not in the HOF? In 2005, he was given the Ford C. Frick Award of the National Baseball Hall of Fame for broadcasting excellence? Is that the same as induction into the HOF?

also seen that the class of 05 included Wade Boggs & Ryne Sandberg? Didnt see Coleman on the list unless he was voted in by the verterans commitee & then still should be listed as a member correct?

Hope im missing something here but i didnt see him listed as a member of the HOF, just the ford flick award winner in 05?

REDANDGOLDPRIDE
12-15-2010, 01:47 AM
There's a few things on SCN with that same HOF inscription. My guess is that either people really wanted that inscription as they see it as a HOF award because it was presented by them or something.

mmalpedo01
12-15-2010, 05:22 AM
He is technically a member of the baseball HOF since he won the Ford Frick award. Depending who you have the discussion with, many people will say they are not Hall of famers. Either way, he is in Cooperstown. You see that inscription a ton on Harry Kalas signed stuff and Dave Niehaus to name a few Frick winners.

cyberer
12-15-2010, 09:09 AM
I though Harry kalas was literally inducted in the hof for his work in NFL films?

baseball123
12-15-2010, 08:26 PM
Of Course they are in the HOF, Same thing. It would be like saying managers even though inducted are not in HOF. Broadcasters as well as writers are HOF because they connect us with baseball just as much as Players, Managers, Owners, ect. Just imagine Vin Scully and Kalas, and Niehaus not in the HOF.

cyberer
12-15-2010, 08:35 PM
i dont think anyone was arguing about the validity of announcers going into the hall, we were arguing semantically are they actually in it or did they just receive and award? These are different issues.

Alceste606
12-15-2010, 09:26 PM
Of Course they are in the HOF, Same thing. It would be like saying managers even though inducted are not in HOF. Broadcasters as well as writers are HOF because they connect us with baseball just as much as Players, Managers, Owners, ect. Just imagine Vin Scully and Kalas, and Niehaus not in the HOF.

I'm being picky now, so please forgive me, but there is a difference between managers and announcers. In the hall of fame itself, not the museum or any other part of the building, is where the plaques are kept. It includes players, managers, umpires, and executives. In a different part of the building, where the library is, are basically pictures on the wall next to descriptions of Ford Frick award winners. Also, where hall of famers are elected by writers or by the Veterans Committee, Frick Awards are given to one person a year and they are decided by fan vote, columnists, baseball historians, and former award winners.

Incidentally, I agree with you about announcers connecting us with the game, maybe even more than anyone else, and I don't think it's really that misleading to add HOF to the sig of a Frick winner. I'm just saying they are not exactly the same thing.

Riggs
12-15-2010, 11:34 PM
well, it just throws me kinda when you see a great athlete like Coleman sign his autographs "HOF05" then do a quik search on MLB hof & he isnt listed at all?

I knew the frick award was a very prestigious honor, Just didnt realize it was the same as induction into the baseball hof? correct?

baseball123
12-16-2010, 12:36 AM
True but apparently it is. Vin Scully, Jaime Jarrin, Coleman, ect all sign HOF

REDANDGOLDPRIDE
12-16-2010, 12:51 AM
well, it just throws me kinda when you see a great athlete like Coleman sign his autographs "HOF05" then do a quik search on MLB hof & he isnt listed at all?

I knew the frick award was a very prestigious honor, Just didnt realize it was the same as induction into the baseball hof? correct?

I wouldn't consider it as far as HOF inscriptions, but I guess it's however you look at it.

mmalpedo01
12-16-2010, 04:01 AM
I wouldn't consider it as far as HOF inscriptions, but I guess it's however you look at it.

It is definitely a topic which people feel strongly about one way or another. I personally feel that it is a valid inscription. In fact there are way less Frick winners than actual HOF players. I guess what I am trying to say is that there really aren't a ton of announcers who have been inducted into the Hall so I think it is pretty cool to see the inscription. For example, Tony Kubek is a Frick winner but does not sign HOF.