PDA

View Full Version : Obama Eyeing Internet ID for Americans

OnePimpTiger
01-08-2011, 06:29 PM
Obama Eyeing Internet ID for Americans (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_162-20027837-501465.html)

President Obama is planning to hand the U.S. Commerce Department authority over a forthcoming cybersecurity effort to create an Internet ID for Americans, a White House official said here today.

It's "the absolute perfect spot in the U.S. government" to centralize efforts toward creating an "identity ecosystem" for the Internet, White House Cybersecurity Coordinator Howard Schmidt said...

...The Obama administration is currently drafting what it's calling the National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace, which Locke said will be released by the president in the next few months. (An early version was publicly released last summer.)

"We are not talking about a national ID card," Locke said at the Stanford event. "We are not talking about a government-controlled system. What we are talking about is enhancing online security and privacy and reducing and perhaps even eliminating the need to memorize a dozen passwords, through creation and use of more trusted digital identities."

The Commerce Department will be setting up a national program office to work on this project, Locke said.

Details about the "trusted identity" project are unusually scarce. Last year's announcement referenced a possible forthcoming smart card or digital certificate that would prove that online users are who they say they are. These digital IDs would be offered to consumers by online vendors for financial transactions.

Schmidt stressed today that anonymity and pseudonymity will remain possible on the Internet. "I don't have to get a credential if I don't want to," he said. There's no chance that "a centralized database will emerge," and "we need the private sector to lead the implementation of this," he said.

andrewhoya
01-08-2011, 07:16 PM
Eh, I'm not a fan of this.

sanfran22
01-09-2011, 06:08 PM
I like how they had to say it's not a national ID card......This administration looks worse and worse by the hour.

INTIMADATOR2007
01-09-2011, 07:35 PM
So now they want acess to everybody's passwords ...If it anit broke don't fix it ..However the Adminisrtation is broke and needs fixin'..

theonedru
01-09-2011, 10:33 PM
If Americans were not such cowards this would not be an issue as there would have been an uprising along time ago.... Way too much complacency and not enough revolution. Makes me wonder what it will really take for us to finally shove back.

VIVA LA REVOLUTION

duane1969
01-10-2011, 08:58 AM
I see two issues with this:

1) This will give the govt. full access to our personal lives. Many will say "If you are not doing anything wrong then why hide it?" and my response will be "If I am not doing anything wrong then why do I have to be subjected to an invasion of my privacy and being treated like I am doing something wrong?"

Make no mistake. The govt. does not respect the rights of the individual. The 4th Amendment only applies if they are caught breaking it.

2) This is the first step in taxing internet usage. If you have to enter your I.D. number for every transaction (eBay, on-line shopping, etc.) then this will open the door for the Fed to start taxing your purchases. After that they will start taxing you for the amount of time you are on-line.

No matter what the Dems do, at the end of the day it is about taxation and control.

sanfran22
01-10-2011, 04:26 PM
I see two issues with this:

1) This will give the govt. full access to our personal lives. Many will say "If you are not doing anything wrong then why hide it?" and my response will be "If I am not doing anything wrong then why do I have to be subjected to an invasion of my privacy and being treated like I am doing something wrong?"

Make no mistake. The govt. does not respect the rights of the individual. The 4th Amendment only applies if they are caught breaking it.

2) This is the first step in taxing internet usage. If you have to enter your I.D. number for every transaction (eBay, on-line shopping, etc.) then this will open the door for the Fed to start taxing your purchases. After that they will start taxing you for the amount of time you are on-line.

No matter what the Dems do, at the end of the day it is about taxation and control.
There is more truth to that statement then you will ever know. They have been trying to implement a national tax for years, and a tax on internet purchases as well.
In Ohio, you are actually supposed to file your internet purchases with your tax return.
It's a joke. All you keep hearing is it's not for this , not for that. It's all a lie. It's to set up future intentions. Just like the Healthcare Bill isn't set for a single payer system or has rationing ect, ect.
As said before, it's all about control, and most of these ideas are coming out of one mindset.

shortking98
01-10-2011, 04:29 PM
There is more truth to that statement then you will ever know. They have been trying to implement a national tax for years, and a tax on internet purchases as well.
In Ohio, you are actually supposed to file your internet purchases with your tax return.
It's a joke. All you keep hearing is it's not for this , not for that. It's all a lie. It's to set up future intentions. Just like the Healthcare Bill isn't set for a single payer system or has rationing ect, ect.
As said before, it's all about control, and most of these ideas are coming out of one mindset.

I think that is for state sales tax, as CT does that with us as well.

As for the internet ID or whatever they want to call it, I can't support something like this, it seems pointless and an invasion of privacy is likely to follow as has been stated.

sanfran22
01-10-2011, 04:32 PM
I think that is for state sales tax, as CT does that with us as well.

As for the internet ID or whatever they want to call it, I can't support something like this, it seems pointless and an invasion of privacy is likely to follow as has been stated.
It is for state sales tax, but they are doing the same thing on a state level. It's garbage.

Star_Cards
01-11-2011, 09:47 AM
it seems odd if one of the main reasons he gives is to eliminate having to remember multiple passwords. There are ways to log your passwords and still have them be secure if you can't remember them. I guess I'd have to read more about this, but at first glance it seems unneeded. If it does pertain to taxes and they are worried about it there are much better ways to make sure people pay taxes.

pwaldo
01-11-2011, 04:09 PM
Is there ANYBODY who thinks this is a good idea besides Obama? Really I'd like to hear a supporter of this because the reasoning is very weak and putting a social security like password on the Internet where the government can't even stop Wikileaks from obtaining data is just screaming for hackers to attack it around the world and ruin the lives of Americans.

This is either for controlling the Internet, shutting down an opposing voice, or taxing people. They aren't trying to help anybody at all and seeing as how they can't keep anything secure or safe I don't need their help because I'm a billion times safer with my data than the government would be.

limitedplay50
01-11-2011, 04:11 PM
So now they want acess to everybody's passwords ...If it anit broke don't fix it ..However the Adminisrtation is broke and needs fixin'..

I hear that couldnt have said it better myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cheer2:

RUgarte92
01-13-2011, 01:55 PM
Obama is an idiot!!

theonedru
01-13-2011, 02:29 PM
Obama is an idiot!!

He is not the idiot, The people are the idiots for letting this happen

sanfran22
01-13-2011, 02:37 PM
I would agree to an extent, those who voted to put this clown in office deserve the crap they are getting. Only problem is they are taking us with them.....

theonedru
01-13-2011, 05:10 PM
I tend to think of the saying <br />
<br />
&quot; If your not part of the solution then your part of the problem &quot; <br />
<br />
Harass everyone you can along with everyone you can think of to do the same, start an...

sanfran22
01-13-2011, 05:56 PM
I agree, the people need to make it explicitly clear that these bozos work for us. They have acted like dictators far to long and it's apparent we can no longer trust them to do what is in our best...

duane1969
01-13-2011, 06:09 PM

Obama was voted into office to represent the people. This does not represent the people. The people should not have to revolt to get his attention. There should not have to be civil war to get a president to stop shoving unwanted legislation down our throats.

The president should be intelligent enough to use a little common sense and realize that in the midst of a huge movement to minimize government that a government mandate giving access to all of our private information to the government is not what the people will want. Unfortunately he is either too stupid to realize this or to cuckolded by the far-left to do anything against it. Either way, he is a failure at representing what the people want.

sanfran22
01-13-2011, 09:33 PM
"What the people want"....that's a novel idea lol:)

theonedru
01-13-2011, 10:01 PM
Obama was voted into office to represent the people. This does not represent the people. The people should not have to revolt to get his attention. There should not have to be civil war to get a president to stop shoving unwanted legislation down our throats.

The president should be intelligent enough to use a little common sense and realize that in the midst of a huge movement to minimize government that a government mandate giving access to all of our private information to the government is not what the people will want. Unfortunately he is either too stupid to realize this or to cuckolded by the far-left to do anything against it. Either way, he is a failure at representing what the people want.

The people have been bullied into being complacent. Using the terrorism and other cards they force any and all possible threats down our throats to gain control of the masses and for 10 years it has worked efficiently. And anyone who has the nerve to speak up gets branded Anti-American by the masses who have forgotten what words like truth, justice, love, respect, honor really mean.... Can you blame them for doing what they do when the people sit by stupidly allowing them to do so.

habsheaven
01-14-2011, 09:39 AM
Did anyone read this part?

Schmidt stressed today that anonymity and pseudonymity will remain possible on the Internet. "I don't have to get a credential if I don't want to," he said. There's no chance that "a centralized database will emerge," and "we need the private sector to lead the implementation of this," he said.

Constant fear-mongoring from those on the right. It gets OLD fast. If you (the people) don't want it. DON'T GET IT!!

Theodor Madison
01-14-2011, 10:02 AM
These Kind things tend to happen when we do not get involved and them when we do It is to late. Obamacare should not have gone through. Paying off unions is another. On and on . We can not be followers in the world, we should no longer be pushovers. This administration is weak, in turn making the country weak. We the people should not be considered the weakest link. get involved. Keep your freedom.

OnePimpTiger
01-15-2011, 12:16 AM

Constant fear-mongoring from those on the right. It gets OLD fast. If you (the people) don't want it. DON'T GET IT!!

Constant naivety to reality from those on the left. A step in the wrong direction by the government never stops at one step.

The income tax was initiated as a temporary measure. I'm sure someone told the people who were against it "Did anyone read this part? It's a temporary measure. Constant fear-mongering gets old fast."

themanishere
01-15-2011, 01:15 AM
If this happens it will simply become a stepping stone for government.

Also, it seems this virtual identity thing would make people even more vulnerable since it would put everything a person does on one "account." No matter the supposed safety of the policy, there will always be a way around the security measures.

habsheaven
01-15-2011, 08:47 AM
Constant naivety to reality from those on the left. A step in the wrong direction by the government never stops at one step.

The income tax was initiated as a temporary measure. I'm sure someone told the people who were against it "Did anyone read this part? It's a temporary measure. Constant fear-mongering gets old fast."

You are grasping .... Income tax was a temporary measure but it was also MANDATORY. If you do not want to get these credentials, you do not have to. What next, they are going to FORCE you to USE THE INTERNET against your will. Give it a rest!!!:sign0020:

theonedru
01-15-2011, 02:42 PM

If you (the people) don't want it. DON'T GET IT!!

A little while ago it wasnt manditory to have insurance either, but now you will have to have it in order to be a legal American.......... People have good reason to be peeved over this.

habsheaven
01-15-2011, 05:20 PM
If you (the people) don't want it. DON'T GET IT!!

A little while ago it wasnt manditory to have insurance either, but now you will have to have it in order to be a legal American.......... People have good reason to be peeved over this.

And when they make it mandatory, by all means, complain. But making suppositions and complaining about them is weak.

OnePimpTiger
01-15-2011, 06:31 PM
And when they make it mandatory, by all means, complain. But making suppositions and complaining about them is weak.

Then by all means, turn a blind eye and drink the koolaid why the beloved government once again pulls the wool over your eyes. There are still some who believe the government is still actually "by the people, for the people"...but many of us see it for what it really is, only in it for self-preservation and opportunistic power grabs.

sanfran22
01-15-2011, 06:57 PM
I think most of us would rather not let the gov't have the opportunity to make it mandatory.

OnePimpTiger
01-15-2011, 10:31 PM
I think most of us would rather not let the gov't have the opportunity to make it mandatory.

Yahtzee!

duane1969
01-15-2011, 10:37 PM
A great analogy is cattle in a slaughter house. They line the cattle in columns that prevents them from seeing the front of the line because if they see the slaughter ahead they will stampede. By simply hiding the slaughter area around the corner the cattle blindly walk into the slaughter area and lose their life without even a whimper of protest.

I choose to not be blindly led into something. Telling me that the future will not be bad if I allow just this one small thing does not mean I am stupid enough to believe it.

I choose to stampede.

sanfran22
01-15-2011, 10:45 PM
A great analogy is cattle in a slaughter house. They line the cattle in columns that prevents them from seeing the front of the line because if they see the slaughter ahead they will stampede. By simply hiding the slaughter area around the corner the cattle blindly walk into the slaughter area and lose their life without even a whimper of protest.

I choose to not be blindly led into something. Telling me that the future will not be bad if I allow just this one small thing does not mean I am stupid enough to believe it.

I choose to stampede.

I'm with ya..... Just think back on all the Gov't programs that were not mandatory or that were to be temporary.....It boggles the mind of the honest people.

habsheaven
01-15-2011, 11:48 PM
Obviously us non-Americans have a different view of government and it's role. We lack the cynicism you guys have. If this board is indicitive of the populace at large, it is a wonder you guys even have a Federal government. I mean really, what's the point? It's obvious they are no benefit to any of you.:)

OnePimpTiger
01-16-2011, 12:17 AM
Obviously us non-Americans have a different view of government and it's role. We lack the cynicism you guys have. If this board is indicitive of the populace at large, it is a wonder you guys even have a Federal government. I mean really, what's the point? It's obvious they are no benefit to any of you.:)

At this point, it is much more of a hindrance than a benefit, that's for sure.

duane1969
01-16-2011, 08:36 PM
You are right. I benefit nothing from my government. <br />
<br />
My wife and I pay around $1000 a month in Fed taxes (not counting Social Security, state taxes, etc.). Yet my taxes benefit mostly people who...