PDA

View Full Version : People never cease to amaze me...just about sums it up!

OnePimpTiger
01-13-2011, 09:20 PM
Before I start, a disclaimer: This is a pointless rant, feel free to ignore...don't say I didn't warn ya!

I was already extremely peeved at Mr. Obama for ruining my Wednesday night tv watching...during Modern Family, seriously? Another speech late last year made me miss 30 Rock...Obama just does not like good television. :rant:

But anyway, I get on ye olde Facebook after the speech last night and a relative of the wifeypoo had this as her status:

"A man who can speak with such compassion, empathy, and reverance for the lives of others is surely worthy of respect by the public that he serves."

Has anyone seen the Lewis Black bit about overhearing something so mind-numbing that you can't stop thinking about it and it ends up giving you an aneurysm? "If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college.” Well this had that effect on me. Aside from the fact that an English teacher misspelled reverence. This is a perfect example of many of the Obama fanboys and girls out there (not everyone mind you!). It doesn't matter what is being said, the mere fact that compassion, empathy, and reverence are emoted so sublimely means they deserve respect. She basically just told the Facebook world (for whatever that's worth) that a smooth speech can win her over. And of course it was followed by a litany of "Amen sister"s and "You tell it girl"s.

I tried to forget about it, but almost a full 24 hours later it still has me fuming. And I'm not going to get into an argument on Facebook about it because a) it's Facebook and b) I try not to tick off the in-laws unless it's absolutely necessary.

/useless rant

tutall
01-13-2011, 10:15 PM
completely agree... i have told myself countless times to delete facebook and never get back on because half the crap i read that my own friends say irritate me to no end... cant believe someone would actually say some of it but i feel i am a little above getting into an argument like that...

habsheaven
01-13-2011, 10:23 PM
Personally, I think Obama is great but I don't believe how you speak is worthy of someone's respect on its own. I may be in the minority, but I think the POTUS deserves everyone's respect until such a time as they do something to lose it. Unfortunately, Obama has never been given that respect from the beginning by many who oppose his ideaology.

sanfran22
01-13-2011, 10:31 PM
There's a big difference in respecting the office and respecting the individual and what he is doing in it. Maybe Bill Clinton should take a respect the office lesson as well....

OnePimpTiger
01-13-2011, 10:59 PM
Personally, I think Obama is great but I don't believe how you speak is worthy of someone's respect on its own. I may be in the minority, but I think the POTUS deserves everyone's respect until such a time as they do something to lose it. Unfortunately, Obama has never been given that respect from the beginning by many who oppose his ideaology.

If you disagree with just about everything a person does and believes in on a fundamental level, how are you supposed to respect them?

I know many people have that same view, that the position of POTUS deserves respect, but in my opinion, respect is earned, not automatically granted until lost.

duane1969
01-13-2011, 11:30 PM
If you disagree with just about everything a person does and believes in on a fundamental level, how are you supposed to respect them?

I know many people have that same view, that the position of POTUS deserves respect, but in my opinion, respect is earned, not automatically granted until lost.

+1

We all know that the liberals respect (insert conservative politician's name) regardless of his/her political views, right? The liberals never label a conservative a bigot or racist simply because of their political beliefs, right?

It is the same old story. The libs expect thier ideas and "principals" to be respected while giving no respect in return. For years the left policy has been to attack the opposition without mercy. Now suddenly they cry foul when they get the same treatment. Suddenly the gander doesn't like the goose treatment.

gatorboymike
01-13-2011, 11:36 PM
It is the same old story. The libs expect thier ideas and "principals" to be respected while giving no respect in return. For years the left policy has been to attack the opposition without mercy. Now suddenly they cry foul when they get the same treatment. Suddenly the gander doesn't like the goose treatment.

http://thetmexperience.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/black-pot-kettle-obj058.jpg

ensbergcollector
01-14-2011, 12:15 AM
the beauty for me is all the people who love obama because of how well he speaks, when the majority of presidents don't write their own speech. So basically all you have to do is be able to read well to get everyone's respect.

OnePimpTiger
01-14-2011, 12:33 AM
the beauty for me is all the people who love obama because of how well he speaks, when the majority of presidents don't write their own speech. So basically all you have to do is be able to read well to get everyone's respect.

I respect mad teleprompter skillz!

DunkingDurant35
01-14-2011, 01:42 AM
completely agree... i have told myself countless times to delete facebook and never get back on because half the crap i read that my own friends say irritate me to no end... cant believe someone would actually say some of it but i feel i am a little above getting into an argument like that...

I hear ya. Unfortunately, I got into a stupid political argument myself a couple of days ago with a longtime friend that ended up just totally useless and divisive. I regret it, have since made up with the friend, and am going to remember that incident so it serves as a reminder...a reminder that it's just not worth debating some things on Facebook, especially politics with friends who are very entrenched one way or the other. No matter how offensive something they post is, I just need to remember that politics can turn otherwise good people into blinded ranters. It's not something anyone should take personally so much.

duane1969
01-14-2011, 10:12 AM
http://thetmexperience.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/black-pot-kettle-obj058.jpg

I am not complaining about the libs being attackers. I can take it. I know exactly what I stand for, why I stand for it and can fully defend my position without being rude or insulting. I just think it is funny that for 8 years the left attacked and mocked Bush on everything from his policies to the way he pronounced words and now they want to cry a freakin' river because the right does the same thing to them.

Yeah, a quick Google search will produce some nice video clips of just how eloquent of a speaker Obama is once his teleprompter goes out...

pghin08
01-14-2011, 10:21 AM

I must admit, OPT, I'm surprised to hear you say something like that. Why should you have to believe in the same things in order to respect somebody? My best friend and I are POLAR opposites when it comes to political and religious views. But of course, I respect him. It's not about what you believe, it's about how you carry yourself and the way that you treat those around you.

I agree that respect is earned, and I'm not saying that you have to respect the POTUS, but to say that someone is not deserving of respect simply because they have a different belief structure seems a little shortsighted. I didn't agree with much of what Bush did, but I still respect the guy for having lead the country through an extremely difficult time and for sticking to his principles, though they may not have been my own.

habsheaven
01-14-2011, 10:25 AM
Apparently most of you have a different view of what RESPECTING someone means. Not surprising, I guess. I do not believe anyone needs to EARN my respect. As a fellow human being, they DESERVE my respect until they DO something to lose it. I respect John McCain, I respect George W Bush, I even respect Sarah Palin. Just because I disagree with their ideas does not cancel out my respect for them.

Star_Cards
01-14-2011, 02:35 PM
I agree that someone shouldn't like a politician just because they can speak well. I'd think there would be more substance than that to sway someone to give a person their vote. As far as respecting someone, I think one can respect someone even though they have different views. I know it's different when that person is a politician rather than a friend or relative, but think people should start out with a respect for a person and then a lack of respect can come about due to actions.

timber09
01-14-2011, 06:41 PM
There is a significant difference between agree with political or economical ideology and respect - I am liberal in most of my ideology however I still respect Regan, Bush, etc - I disagree vehemently with their point of view and polical theory however this takes away nothing from their personal integrity.

Now - facebook status updates and the like - man they are so full of concrete BS that there is nowhere to even begin. Throw inlaws into the mix and the only chance you have of survival is avoidance at all costs. I've gone down that road and lost badly. As Twain said - "Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

OnePimpTiger
01-15-2011, 01:33 AM
I must admit, OPT, I'm surprised to hear you say something like that. Why should you have to believe in the same things in order to respect somebody? My best friend and I are POLAR opposites when it comes to political and religious views. But of course, I respect him. It's not about what you believe, it's about how you carry yourself and the way that you treat those around you.

I agree that respect is earned, and I'm not saying that you have to respect the POTUS, but to say that someone is not deserving of respect simply because they have a different belief structure seems a little shortsighted. I didn't agree with much of what Bush did, but I still respect the guy for having lead the country through an extremely difficult time and for sticking to his principles, though they may not have been my own.

There's a difference in respecting someone's opinions, respecting them as a person, and respecting them as they try to change the country into something you feel is wrong. Let me preface what I'm about to say by saying I am in no way comparing Obama to Hitler. I respect that Hitler had differing opinions than myself, he was free to believe what he wanted. But when he does things that are fundamentally against what I stand for and force those beliefs on others, my respect for his personal beliefs aside, I do not respect him because of his actions. Similarly, I respect the fact that Obama holds different beliefs than I do...he's entitled to those and I hold no ill will against him for that. But when he forces those ideals on me and millions others who fundamentally disagree with them, that cannot be respected. It's the same argument that people have about religion, that they respect a religious person's right to believe what they want, but they do not respect the act of forcing that belief on them.

Apparently most of you have a different view of what RESPECTING someone means. Not surprising, I guess. I do not believe anyone needs to EARN my respect. As a fellow human being, they DESERVE my respect until they DO something to lose it. I respect John McCain, I respect George W Bush, I even respect Sarah Palin. Just because I disagree with their ideas does not cancel out my respect for them.

Again, as mentioned above, I respect Obama as I respect any other human. I respect his right to live his life the way he wants, to believe what he wants, etc. But the President of the United States is expected to achieve and I respect very little that Obama has achieved. I can respect him as a fellow human, but I do not respect him as a President. I respect Matt Leinart as a human, but I don't respect him as a football player. People do deserve my respect as a fellow human being, but anything beyond that, ie my respect for you as POTUS, has to be earned.

Apparently a lot of people didn't get my statement about that. Yes, I respect Barrack Obama the human, I respect his rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. He deserves that respect from me as does every other human until they forfeit that right. But I have no interaction with Barrack Obama as a fellow human being...we're not pals, we're not co-workers, we're not neighbors. I do not interact with Barrack Obama as a fellow human. My only interaction with Mr. Obama is as Barrack Obama, President of the United States of America. I do not respect Barrack Obama in that capacity as he has beliefs that differ from my own on a fundamental level and he is trying to force his beliefs on me against my will. There is a major difference in the two concepts that several of you are overlooking.

pghin08
01-17-2011, 11:24 AM
There's a difference in respecting someone's opinions, respecting them as a person, and respecting them as they try to change the country into something you feel is wrong. Let me preface what I'm about to say by saying I am in no way comparing Obama to Hitler. I respect that Hitler had differing opinions than myself, he was free to believe what he wanted. But when he does things that are fundamentally against what I stand for and force those beliefs on others, my respect for his personal beliefs aside, I do not respect him because of his actions. Similarly, I respect the fact that Obama holds different beliefs than I do...he's entitled to those and I hold no ill will against him for that. But when he forces those ideals on me and millions others who fundamentally disagree with them, that cannot be respected. It's the same argument that people have about religion, that they respect a religious person's right to believe what they want, but they do not respect the act of forcing that belief on them.

Again, as mentioned above, I respect Obama as I respect any other human. I respect his right to live his life the way he wants, to believe what he wants, etc. But the President of the United States is expected to achieve and I respect very little that Obama has achieved. I can respect him as a fellow human, but I do not respect him as a President. I respect Matt Leinart as a human, but I don't respect him as a football player. People do deserve my respect as a fellow human being, but anything beyond that, ie my respect for you as POTUS, has to be earned.

Apparently a lot of people didn't get my statement about that. Yes, I respect Barrack Obama the human, I respect his rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. He deserves that respect from me as does every other human until they forfeit that right. But I have no interaction with Barrack Obama as a fellow human being...we're not pals, we're not co-workers, we're not neighbors. I do not interact with Barrack Obama as a fellow human. My only interaction with Mr. Obama is as Barrack Obama, President of the United States of America. I do not respect Barrack Obama in that capacity as he has beliefs that differ from my own on a fundamental level and he is trying to force his beliefs on me against my will. There is a major difference in the two concepts that several of you are overlooking.

You say this as if it's uncommon. Come on, you've been around and you know what you're talking about. Every President we've had since I've been alive has done things or pushed forward with an agenda that (at least partially) I didn't agree with. What do you want Obama to do, run everything by each American, and if he gets a "nay" vote, then scrap it? Obama is not the first President to push forward with things that were unpopular with some people. He's also not the first President to do things that weren't supported by the majority of the country. Here's the bottom line:

The majority of Americans tend to dislike the party and agenda that is in power, because we always feel as if someone else could be doing it better. When Bush One was President, the American people thought we'd be better off with the Democrats in power. When Clinton was in office, they thought we'd be better with the Republicans, so on and so forth. Look at how often midterm elections swing the Congress from one party to another. Americans are an extremely fickle people.

In this sense, politics and religion are NOT interchangeable. Your religion and the way you practice it is your individual choice. You don't have to be influenced by anyone else, nor do your religious beliefs have any bearing on your neighbors. There never has to be religious consensus, no votes on where to take the Baptist church next, no adoption of a bill entitling all Catholics to affordable health care. Your religious beliefs simply are what they are. Politics and government however, does require consensus. It does require you and your neighbor to come up with some sort of compromise to an issue.

My point is that if you don't respect the President for the reasons that you've listed, then you probably have never respected any American President, because I'm sure they've all done the same thing in some capacity.

pr0phet
01-17-2011, 12:31 PM
I just read the OP. I should add that this isn't the first time Americans have felt so strong for a person based on their ability to speak.

I believe it was Kennedy that got elected because he knew how to speak to the camera while Nixon stumbled.

duane1969
01-17-2011, 01:36 PM

I respected the president. I gave him my full support because he is my country's leader and if my country is to succeed then so must he. But then he and his cronies started passing legislation that is in direct conflict with what the people want and the exact opposite of what he said he would do if he was elected. It became blatantly clear that he lied to get into office. I lost any respect that I had for him.

I do not have respect someone simply because they hold a position of power. Not only has Obama done nothing to earn additional respect from me, he has done nothing to keep the respect that I had for him.

My lack of respect for Obama is not a symbol of a flaw on my part, it is a representation of the type of president that he has been.

OnePimpTiger
01-17-2011, 01:50 PM
You say this as if it's uncommon. Come on, you've been around and you know what you're talking about. Every President we've had since I've been alive has done things or pushed forward with an agenda that (at least partially) I didn't agree with. What do you want Obama to do, run everything by each American, and if he gets a "nay" vote, then scrap it? Obama is not the first President to push forward with things that were unpopular with some people. He's also not the first President to do things that weren't supported by the majority of the country. Here's the bottom line:

The majority of Americans tend to dislike the party and agenda that is in power, because we always feel as if someone else could be doing it better. When Bush One was President, the American people thought we'd be better off with the Democrats in power. When Clinton was in office, they thought we'd be better with the Republicans, so on and so forth. Look at how often midterm elections swing the Congress from one party to another. Americans are an extremely fickle people.

In this sense, politics and religion are NOT interchangeable. Your religion and the way you practice it is your individual choice. You don't have to be influenced by anyone else, nor do your religious beliefs have any bearing on your neighbors. There never has to be religious consensus, no votes on where to take the Baptist church next, no adoption of a bill entitling all Catholics to affordable health care. Your religious beliefs simply are what they are. Politics and government however, does require consensus. It does require you and your neighbor to come up with some sort of compromise to an issue.

My point is that if you don't respect the President for the reasons that you've listed, then you probably have never respected any American President, because I'm sure they've all done the same thing in some capacity.

Actually, there is a difference even in pushing an agenda. Pushing an agenda of less government interference is not forcing me to do anything, it is giving me more freedom. Take the health care issue: Obama is forcing me to have health insurance whether I want it or not...the opposition is not forcing me to do anything, but rather giving me the choice to do what I want. Another example is the global warming issue: Obama wants to enact a program that will cost me more money based on his beliefs on the issue. Similarly with gun control, the internet ID, stimulus programs, etc, etc. All are forcing me to do something or preventing me from doing something rather than allowing me to choose what I do. He is pushing his beliefs on me rather than allowing me to live by my own beliefs. And I will be the first to admit that Republicans do that from time to time as well, but many more times than not, they support (or at least say they support) reducing government interference...or at least not increasing it.

Voting to repeal Obamacare is not forcing beliefs on me, it is allowing me to make my own decision. Stricter gun control laws is preventing me from making my own choice to own a gun or not. Abolishing SS would not be forcing a belief on me, it would be allowing me to make my own decisions on my retirement. Increasing welfare and government assistance programs forces me to support people whether I agree with it or not...while reducing welfare and government assistance would allow me to make the decision on who, if anyone, I want to support.

Many liberal policies very much force everyone to abide by their beliefs and do not allow people to choose. That is why I support libertarianism, which is all about the idea that a person should be free to live how they want as long as it doesn't harm another. I respect a President that allows me to choose how to live my life...I do not respect one that tells me how I must live my life.

And all of this, and specifically what you mention about consensus, is why I support states' rights over larger federal government. Why should the federal government force everyone to have health insurance? Allow the states to choose whether to require it or not. Then, if you feel it should be required, you can live in a state that requires it. If you are against it, you can live in a state that doesn't. Same thing with just about everything else. Most states are traditional either liberal or conservative...why force them all to follow the same rules, why not allow the states themselves to decide? After all, that is how the Constitution was set up in the first place...

pghin08
01-17-2011, 02:20 PM
Actually, there is a difference even in pushing an agenda. Pushing an agenda of less government interference is not forcing me to do anything, it is giving me more freedom. Take the health care issue: Obama is forcing me to have health insurance whether I want it or not...the opposition is not forcing me to do anything, but rather giving me the choice to do what I want. Another example is the global warming issue: Obama wants to enact a program that will cost me more money based on his beliefs on the issue. Similarly with gun control, the internet ID, stimulus programs, etc, etc. All are forcing me to do something or preventing me from doing something rather than allowing me to choose what I do. He is pushing his beliefs on me rather than allowing me to live by my own beliefs. And I will be the first to admit that Republicans do that from time to time as well, but many more times than not, they support (or at least say they support) reducing government interference...or at least not increasing it.

Voting to repeal Obamacare is not forcing beliefs on me, it is allowing me to make my own decision. Stricter gun control laws is preventing me from making my own choice to own a gun or not. Abolishing SS would not be forcing a belief on me, it would be allowing me to make my own decisions on my retirement. Increasing welfare and government assistance programs forces me to support people whether I agree with it or not...while reducing welfare and government assistance would allow me to make the decision on who, if anyone, I want to support.

Many liberal policies very much force everyone to abide by their beliefs and do not allow people to choose. That is why I support libertarianism, which is all about the idea that a person should be free to live how they want as long as it doesn't harm another. I respect a President that allows me to choose how to live my life...I do not respect one that tells me how I must live my life.

And all of this, and specifically what you mention about consensus, is why I support states' rights over larger federal government. Why should the federal government force everyone to have health insurance? Allow the states to choose whether to require it or not. Then, if you feel it should be required, you can live in a state that requires it. If you are against it, you can live in a state that doesn't. Same thing with just about everything else. Most states are traditional either liberal or conservative...why force them all to follow the same rules, why not allow the states themselves to decide? After all, that is how the Constitution was set up in the first place...

Okay, now I think I have a better idea of where you're coming from. I wasn't really considering ideological differences within agendas. As a pretty liberal person, I like most of Obama's policies, so you and I will always differ with that, but I can definitely see your point. I can always count on lucid, well-thought out responses from OPT.