PDA

View Full Version : Bravo Gov. Robert Bentley

theonedru
01-20-2011, 02:35 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_alabama_governor_christians

During his speech, he remarked: "Anybody here today who has not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, I'm telling you, you're not my brother and you're not my sister....

Oops..... I'm actually speechless that he would be dumb enough to spew this in a public setting. he was just sworn in and now he should step down

habsheaven
01-20-2011, 08:33 AM
I find this line the MOST DISTURBING:

"I will never deny being a born-again Christian. I do have core beliefs (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_alabama_governor_christians#) and I will die with those core beliefs," Bentley said. "But I do not want to be harmful to others. And I will die if I have to to defend someone else's right to worship as they choose."

Gotta love the TOLERANCE being taught here.

duane1969
01-20-2011, 08:58 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_alabama_governor_christians

During his speech, he remarked: "Anybody here today who has not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, I'm telling you, you're not my brother and you're not my sister....

Oops..... I'm actually speechless that he would be dumb enough to spew this in a public setting. he was just sworn in and now he should step down

If you understand the Christian teachings then you see his logic in this statement. Being raised in a Baptist church I often heard the preacher speak of Christian belivers being "brothers and sisters in Christ". This is what he is referring to. Based on that concept, believers in other religions could not be his brother or sister.

With that said, he is bone-headed to say it in this manner with such a spiteful tone.

DaClyde
01-20-2011, 09:01 AM
Isn't it always nice how those who most loudly proclaim their being "born again" are often the ones spewing the most unChristian rhetoric you hear?

pghin08
01-20-2011, 09:04 AM
If you understand the Christian teachings then you see his logic in this statement. Being raised in a Baptist church I often heard the preacher speak of Christian belivers being "brothers and sisters in Christ". This is what he is referring to. Based on that concept, believers in other religions could not be his brother or sister.

With that said, he is bone-headed to say it in this manner with such a spiteful tone.

That was kind of what I was thinking too. I'm sure he'll be more careful now, though.

OnePimpTiger
01-20-2011, 12:28 PM
I find this line the MOST DISTURBING:

"I will never deny being a born-again Christian. I do have core beliefs (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_alabama_governor_christians#) and I will die with those core beliefs," Bentley said. "But I do not want to be harmful to others. And I will die if I have to to defend someone else's right to worship as they choose."

Gotta love the TOLERANCE being taught here.

How is that intolerant? Even if someone else isn't Christian, he will still die to defend their right to worship how they wish...isn't that the definition of tolerance?

Isn't it always nice how those who most loudly proclaim their being "born again" are often the ones spewing the most unChristian rhetoric you hear?

How is that unchristian? As duane said above, that is one of the most basic premises of Christianity, that other Christians are your brothers and sisters in Christ and non-Christians are not your brothers and sisters in Christ, obviously. And he follows it up by saying that even if someone isn't his brother or sister in Christ, he will still die to defend their right to worship as they choose. He is stating facts and saying he will treat others as he wants to be treated...sounds pretty Christian to me.

habsheaven
01-20-2011, 12:41 PM
How is that intolerant? Even if someone else isn't Christian, he will still die to defend their right to worship how they wish...isn't that the definition of tolerance?

How is that unchristian? As duane said above, that is one of the most basic premises of Christianity, that other Christians are your brothers and sisters in Christ and non-Christians are not your brothers and sisters in Christ, obviously. And he follows it up by saying that even if someone isn't his brother or sister in Christ, he will still die to defend their right to worship as they choose. He is stating facts and saying he will treat others as he wants to be treated...sounds pretty Christian to me.

I stand corrected. In attempting to make my point and copy and paste his quote again I just noticed the 2nd "to" in his statement. When I first read it, I missed that and it gave his statement a completely different meaning. :ashamed0001:

OnePimpTiger
01-20-2011, 12:46 PM
I stand corrected. In attempting to make my point and copy and paste his quote again I just noticed the 2nd "to" in his statement. When I first read it, I missed that and it gave his statement a completely different meaning. :ashamed0001:

No worries.

gatorboymike
01-20-2011, 02:31 PM
Ppbbphph...he's not sorry. Quasi-people like him are never sorry for any of their wrongdoings. And furthermore, everyone knows he's not sorry, both the people on his side of the fence and those of us who aren't. His supporters know he's not sorry, and they're saying "Don't apologize to them! They deserve it! I mean, we're just going to get rid of them pretty soon anyway!" And his detractors know he's not sorry, and they're saying "Don't insult our intelligence, we know exactly what you really think and what your real agenda is."

Pretty soon Alabama will try to kick all the non-Christians out and never let any in again, like how non-Muslims aren't allowed in Mecca. And in the same token, pretty soon a pilgrimage to Alabama will be retroactively written into Christian dogma.

And oh yes, I completely agree with you, OPT...a black-and-white us-versus-them mentality is most definitely the very core of Christianity. You are absolutely, 100% right about that.

ensbergcollector
01-20-2011, 02:47 PM
Ppbbphph...he's not sorry. Quasi-people like him are never sorry for any of their wrongdoings. And furthermore, everyone knows he's not sorry, both the people on his side of the fence and those of us who aren't. His supporters know he's not sorry, and they're saying "Don't apologize to them! They deserve it! I mean, we're just going to get rid of them pretty soon anyway!" And his detractors know he's not sorry, and they're saying "Don't insult our intelligence, we know exactly what you really think and what your real agenda is."

Pretty soon Alabama will try to kick all the non-Christians out and never let any in again, like how non-Muslims aren't allowed in Mecca. And in the same token, pretty soon a pilgrimage to Alabama will be retroactively written into Christian dogma.

And oh yes, I completely agree with you, OPT...a black-and-white us-versus-them mentality is most definitely the very core of Christianity. You are absolutely, 100% right about that.

same old blind hatred, short sighted, wrong opinions that we come to expect from you gatorboy.

you can't honestly think anyone is kicking anyone out of alabama. I hear a lot more us-versus-them rhetoric from you towards christians than the other way around.

sanfran22
01-20-2011, 02:59 PM
same old blind hatred, short sighted, wrong opinions that we come to expect from you gatorboy.

You can't honestly think anyone is kicking anyone out of alabama. I hear a lot more us-versus-them rhetoric from you towards christians than the other way around.
+1

Star_Cards
01-20-2011, 03:37 PM
I don't know anything about people wanting to kick people out of Alabama or if it would even come about if someone did, but I will say I hear plenty of us-versus-them rhetoric from christians and wanting it to be treated like the official religion of the US.

As for the original topic of the post, I'd hope he didn't mean that negatively towards representing people that don't follow is faith, but it does seem a bit confrontational. Seems like he could have worded what he wanted to say in a much better way.

gatorboymike
01-20-2011, 03:48 PM

Well, you know what they say, you have to give to get. So it's OK when you or your hero Bentley do it, but not OK when I do it?

you can't honestly think anyone is kicking anyone out of alabama. I hear a lot more us-versus-them rhetoric from you towards christians than the other way around.

Then obviously you didn't read the article, because I'm just responding to what he said, and what OPT said, and what everyone who agreed with him about "non-Christians can't be my brothers and sisters" said. If I said "theists can't be my brothers and sisters," you and all your buddies would descend upon me like starving hyenas on a quadriplegic bunny rabbit and you know it.

And as for kicking non-Christians out of Alabama, he'd do that if he could get away with it, and you know that too.

OnePimpTiger
01-20-2011, 04:46 PM
Well, you know what they say, you have to give to get. So it's OK when you or your hero Bentley do it, but not OK when I do it?

Then obviously you didn't read the article, because I'm just responding to what he said, and what OPT said, and what everyone who agreed with him about "non-Christians can't be my brothers and sisters" said. If I said "theists can't be my brothers and sisters," you and all your buddies would descend upon me like starving hyenas on a quadriplegic bunny rabbit and you know it.

And as for kicking non-Christians out of Alabama, he'd do that if he could get away with it, and you know that too.

Do you want to be my brother in Christ? Because that's what he's referring to. If you said I was not your brother in atheism, I would not descend upon you in any size, shape, or fashion, I would completely agree with you.

gatorboymike
01-20-2011, 07:38 PM
Do you want to be my brother in Christ? Because that's what he's referring to. If you said I was not your brother in atheism, I would not descend upon you in any size, shape, or fashion, I would completely agree with you.

Of course I don't want to be. But if you accept Christian doctrine, and you actually care about the well-being of anyone else, you should want me to be. Assuming you do accept Christian doctrine, you must think that if I died right now, I'd go to Hell where I would be tortured forever and ever. Assuming that idea bothers you (and feel free to let me know if it doesn't), you should want me to join your religion.

But with Bentley, no assuming is necessary. It's obvious that he doesn't care about the well-being of non-Christians and would be perfectly happy to see us suffer that fate. I don't think it's much of a stretch from "you ARE NOT my brother" to "you CAN NOT BE my brother." Meaning that he has absolutely no interest whatsoever in "saving" anyone, which is in direct opposition to the doctrine he supposedly accepts. How do I know that? Well, since he made these remarks at a Baptist church, obviously he wasn't trying to reach out to anyone in his direct audience. And then there's the language he used. If he did give a rat's gluteus maximus about the well-being of non-Christians, he would have said something like "Brothers and sisters in Christ, let us reach out to and pray for those who are not our brothers and sisters so that they may join us." And if he had said that, you wouldn't have heard a word out of me. But that's not what he said at all. What he said was basically "I'm Us, they're Them. End of story." Way to uphold Christian values.

duane1969
01-20-2011, 08:19 PM

Not at all. In fact, let me help you, I have no desire to be your "brother in atheism". There, now we both can sleep better.

Considering you have no desire to be a brother in Christ I see no reason for you to have such an unpleasant position on Bentley's statement. Do you desire Bentley's "brotherhood"? I seriously doubt it. What you really desire is another reason to attack someone because they have a religious position.

If he said "I do not consider you my brother or sister because you don't drink Coors Light" then you would have no problem with it at all. Your spite towards him is not because of what he said, it is because his position is based on his religious beliefs.

Furthermore, I find it hypocritical of you to speak out against anyone who is even slightly bigoted. You blindly hate all Christians without knowing them or knowing who they are. As soon as the term Christian is attached to someone you go into immediate hate-mode. Religious discrimination is just as wrong as racial or sexual discrimination.

DunkingDurant35
01-20-2011, 08:54 PM
Assuming you do accept Christian doctrine, you must think that if I died right now, I'd go to Hell where I would be tortured forever and ever.

I understand my family and I are in the minority here, but I think this is one of the most misunderstood concepts of Christianity:

http://personalitycafe.com/debate-forum/20041-christianity-why-i-dont-believe-hell-involves-eternal-torment.html

gatorboymike
01-20-2011, 09:12 PM
Not at all. In fact, let me help you, I have no desire to be your "brother in atheism". There, now we both can sleep better.

You think I care? What do you want, a cookie or something?

If he said "I do not consider you my brother or sister because you don't drink Coors Light" then you would have no problem with it at all. Your spite towards him is not because of what he said, it is because his position is based on his religious beliefs.

Oh yes I would. A sitting, high-ranking, elected official giving an endorsement to a private corporation? If that's not illegal, it should be. I no more want to live in a corporate-feudalist nightmare regime than I wish to live in a theocracy. And I'll have you know, Sunny Jim, that my spite is because of him bringing his religious beliefs into the public sphere. He was elected Governor of Alabama, not Most High Reverend Father of Alabama. Although given what state we're talking about, maybe they should dispense with the pretense of secular government altogether and just change the name of the office to that very thing. I'm not saying "How dare you have a religion," I'm saying "How dare you use public office to endorse and enforce your religion." Besides, anyone who doesn't drink Miller Lite can't be my brother or sister.

Furthermore, I find it hypocritical of you to speak out against anyone who is even slightly bigoted. You blindly hate all Christians without knowing them or knowing who they are. As soon as the term Christian is attached to someone you go into immediate hate-mode. Religious discrimination is just as wrong as racial or sexual discrimination.

Yes, and it's hypocritical of you to call me out on that but support Bentley when he does the same thing. Oh wait, it's because he's discriminating against people you are also bigoted against. Don't try to play the moral high ground with me, your objection is based purely on partisanship and nothing else. It's hypocritial to accuse someone else of hypocrisy when you are a hypocrite yourself.

OnePimpTiger
01-20-2011, 09:27 PM
Of course I don't want to be. But if you accept Christian doctrine, and you actually care about the well-being of anyone else, you should want me to be. Assuming you do accept Christian doctrine, you must think that if I died right now, I'd go to Hell where I would be tortured forever and ever. Assuming that idea bothers you (and feel free to let me know if it doesn't), you should want me to join your religion.

I never said anything to the effect that I don't want you to join my religion...I would like that very much. I know you won't believe me and, even if you do, you'll condemn me for it, but I have actually prayed for you before, that you would find Peace on this issue that obviously bothers you so much. I assume that means nothing to you, but to me, it means a lot.

But with Bentley, no assuming is necessary. It's obvious that he doesn't care about the well-being of non-Christians and would be perfectly happy to see us suffer that fate. I don't think it's much of a stretch from "you ARE NOT my brother" to "you CAN NOT BE my brother." Meaning that he has absolutely no interest whatsoever in "saving" anyone, which is in direct opposition to the doctrine he supposedly accepts. How do I know that? Well, since he made these remarks at a Baptist church, obviously he wasn't trying to reach out to anyone in his direct audience. And then there's the language he used. If he did give a rat's gluteus maximus about the well-being of non-Christians, he would have said something like "Brothers and sisters in Christ, let us reach out to and pray for those who are not our brothers and sisters so that they may join us." And if he had said that, you wouldn't have heard a word out of me. But that's not what he said at all. What he said was basically "I'm Us, they're Them. End of story." Way to uphold Christian values.

You're putting a lot of words and thoughts into his mouth and mind. There's a big difference between stating a fact and wishing someone to Hell.

duane1969
01-20-2011, 10:30 PM
Yes, and it's hypocritical of you to call me out on that but support Bentley when he does the same thing. Oh wait, it's because he's discriminating against people you are also bigoted against. Don't try to play the moral high ground with me, your objection is based purely on partisanship and nothing else. It's hypocritial to accuse someone else of hypocrisy when you are a hypocrite yourself.

It is hypocritcal to attack someone for being biased against someone when you yourself are so overwhelmed with bias that you can hardly contain your angst towards those you hate so much. You criticize a Christian for making a statement that is not "We are the World"-enough while exclaiming your hate for people in the same breath.

And where did I express support for him or anything he said or did? In your zeal to attack me because you think I support a Christian position you have once again failed to base your statement on fact.

gatorboymike
01-20-2011, 11:17 PM
It is hypocritcal to attack someone for being biased against someone when you yourself are so overwhelmed with bias that you can hardly contain your angst towards those you hate so much. You criticize a Christian for making a statement that is not "We are the World"-enough while exclaiming your hate for people in the same breath.

I'm not the one saying they should be all "We are the World," it's their own scripture that says it. It's not my fault they're more like "Symphony of Destruction." It's not my fault they're not following their own club's rules. But I will call them on it, especially in situations like this. And by the way, it's not angst, it's rage.

And where did I express support for him or anything he said or did? In your zeal to attack me because you think I support a Christian position you have once again failed to base your statement on fact.

So are you saying you don't support him? Because you didn't express disapproval either.

duane1969
01-21-2011, 10:30 AM
So are you saying you don't support him? Because you didn't express disapproval either.

Read my first post again. Not just the part where you think I am supporting him.

sanfran22
01-21-2011, 10:46 AM
I have alot to say on this subject but OPT and duane have said alot themselves. So for the sake of this topic, I'm gonna sit this one out lol.

pghin08
01-21-2011, 11:10 AM
I have alot to say on this subject but OPT and duane have said alot themselves. So for the sake of this topic, I'm gonna sit this one out lol.

I'll join you on the bench.

sanfran22
01-21-2011, 11:11 AM
I'll join you on the bench.
Right on:sign0020:

habsheaven
01-21-2011, 11:42 AM
After my embarrassing reading comprehension incident, I am sitting in the bleachers for the rest of this one.:sign0020:

duane1969
01-21-2011, 11:52 PM
Buncha benchwarmers!!! :sign0020: