PDA

View Full Version : Did anybody catch in the Pres SOTU address...

sanfran22
01-28-2011, 09:19 PM
The part about the school in colorado I believe, that was a horrible school and a few years later, turned it around?
Has anybody looked into why that turnaround occured? I know there are a few teachers on here so I was wondering their opinion...
It seems a few conservative viewpoints were pretty much validated by accident.
It seems someone in the White House didn't do there homework as I would imagine Obama would not support what happened.....Just curious?:confused0024:

elocin
01-28-2011, 10:15 PM
I dont understand the last two sentences of your post.

sanfran22
01-28-2011, 10:52 PM
This pretty much says it all without having to go into too much detail....I don't think Obama would support this if he knew anything about it. Kinda like his "stimulus" is now "investment".
He continues to talk out of his...........

President Obama spoke last night about the need to “win the race to educate our kids” and asked if we as Americans are “willing to do what’s necessary to give every child a chance to succeed.” He highlighted one school in particular—Bruce Randolph School in Denver. “Three years ago, it was rated one of the worst schools in Colorado; located on turf between two rival gangs,” Obama said. “But last May, 97 percent of the seniors received their diploma. Most will be the first in their family to go to college.”
What Obama failed to mention is how Bruce Randolph turned its situation around: firing teachers at will after being granted an exemption from union rules.
Here’s what the ABC affiliate in Denver reports (http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/26623356/detail.html):
Bruce Randolph was a middle school when it opened in 2002. In 2007, Denver Public Schools gave Bruce Randolph School permission to operate autonomously. It was the first school in the state to be granted autonomy from district and union rules.

Each teacher then had to reapply for his or her job. A published report said only six teachers remained.
Praising a school that fired almost the entire faculty without input from the local union probably doesn’t sit well with national teachers unions, who gave the Democrats nearly $5 million total in 2008 (http://www.opensecrets.org/industries/indus.php?ind=L1300).

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/obama-education-reform-real-or-fake_537368.html

I also find it funny that Huffpo didn't even mention this in their article......no liberal bias I guess;)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/25/bruce-randolph-high-schoo_n_814053.html

elocin
01-28-2011, 11:09 PM
Well I cant vouch for the opinion of Obama, let alone anyone else. However, I'm confident Obama knew how the school was turned around. His SOTU speech was written well in advance and vetted by his staff in its entirety.

Also, the Huffington Post did mention the union aspect of the revival of the school. Just not in that article. Its mentioned several times. Here is one of those instances: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-merrow/the-state-of-the-teachers_b_814558.html

But truth be told, yes the Huffington Post is selective with the news and articles they highlight. Liberal? Why yes. They are.... But aren't there ring wing equivalents? lol

sanfran22
01-29-2011, 12:19 AM
Well I cant vouch for the opinion of Obama, let alone anyone else. However, I'm confident Obama knew how the school was turned around. His SOTU speech was written well in advance and vetted by his staff in its entirety.

Also, the Huffington Post did mention the union aspect of the revival of the school. Just not in that article. Its mentioned several times. Here is one of those instances: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-merrow/the-state-of-the-teachers_b_814558.html

But truth be told, yes the Huffington Post is selective with the news and articles they highlight. Liberal? Why yes. They are.... But aren't there ring wing equivalents? lol

I have a hunch they didn't "vett" very well. I think its pretty obvious to most people how he would feel on that issue. That piece you linked was a good 2 days after the first article and a day after the one I posted. Sounds like they had no choice since the story already broke imo.

tutall
01-29-2011, 01:02 AM
I have a hunch they didn't "vett" very well. I think its pretty obvious to most people how he would feel on that issue. That piece you linked was a good 2 days after the first article and a day after the one I posted. Sounds like they had no choice since the story already broke imo.

Actually the same thing happened here locally also and I would assume many states across the nation... It was all in a race to get federal money in the race to the top program. A lot of districts in Indiana fired and rehired teachers but I guess my thing is.... As long as best teachers were hired back and the staff has turned it around isnt this a good thing?

elocin
01-29-2011, 08:50 AM
I dont really want to fight. I can if you want provide a link concerning that same school and the union issues before the STOTU.

I could care less if they fired every teacher and started over if the school showed improvements. If you are a horrible teacher you shouldnt be able to hide behind a union imo.

duane1969
01-29-2011, 12:22 PM
I dont really want to fight. I can if you want provide a link concerning that same school and the union issues before the STOTU.

I could care less if they fired every teacher and started over if the school showed improvements. If you are a horrible teacher you shouldnt be able to hide behind a union imo.

I and my wife are both in education and I agree 110%.

Here in WV a teacher has to be written up for something and then reprimanded two more times for it before they can be taken before the school board. The SB then votes on whether or not to fire them. The kicker is that this all has to happen within a school year. When the new school year starts they get a clean slate. So they can be the same type of horrible teacher year after year as long as they don't get in trouble for it three times in the same year. What other job gives you this type of shield from termination for doing a bad job?

sanfran22
01-29-2011, 05:56 PM
I and my wife are both in education and I agree 110%.

Here in WV a teacher has to be written up for something and then reprimanded two more times for it before they can be taken before the school board. The SB then votes on whether or not to fire them. The kicker is that this all has to happen within a school year. When the new school year starts they get a clean slate. So they can be the same type of horrible teacher year after year as long as they don't get in trouble for it three times in the same year. What other job gives you this type of shield from termination for doing a bad job?
I think we all agree that the unions have too much power. and bad teachers are pretty safe with tenure... This school apparently turned things around by brakeing off from the system.I was just curious if Obama believed it as well. I would say no way, that this one slipped through without someone checking it out. That was my point.

duane1969
01-30-2011, 03:04 PM
I think we all agree that the unions have too much power. and bad teachers are pretty safe with tenure... This school apparently turned things around by brakeing off from the system.I was just curious if Obama believed it as well. I would say no way, that this one slipped through without someone checking it out. That was my point.

I get your point and I am sure he would not support it.