PDA

View Full Version : PSA/DNA Dropping The Ball?

duane1969
01-31-2011, 11:53 AM
I have looked at a lot of Jerome Bettis autoed items over the years and feel that I have a pretty good handle on what his auto looks like. This PSA/DNA certified auto looks highly questionable to me and makes me question PSA/DNAs authentication ability.

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/544/bettis1.jpg

Here are a few other Bettis autos for comparison. Note: the helmet has a "Bus" hologram issued byt Bettis when he autos stuff at signings.

http://i56.tinypic.com/23ku3l.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/8vx409.jpg

whodeyalltheway
01-31-2011, 11:55 AM
I agree but everyone makes mistakes but that one seems very obvious

SteakNchop
01-31-2011, 12:01 PM
PSA/DNA has never been accurate. There really is no way to surely tell if something is really signed by that exact person. The only time they are ever accurate is for old signed items, such as Babe Ruth. What I mean by that is they might take the time to notice that Babe Ruth wasn't alive when there were ROMLBs, batting gloves, etc. But anybody can figure that out.

Vegas
02-08-2011, 05:14 PM
PSA/DNA has a huge library of exemplars that they use to authenticate signatures, so my guess is that Bettis signed his name like that at some point in his career.

drumplayerr14
02-08-2011, 05:42 PM
Yea I agree with Vegas. Alot of times the players might be signing for a crowd of people, and may just do their initials or just a shorter version of their signature so they can get to more people. PSA/DNA usually can look thru an entire array of signature per celebrity/athlete to tell whats real and whats not. I personally own 2 bettis autographed pieces and the signatures are a bit different.

tboculosis
02-13-2011, 06:25 PM
Yea I agree with Vegas. Alot of times the players might be signing for a crowd of people, and may just do their initials or just a shorter version of their signature so they can get to more people. PSA/DNA usually can look thru an entire array of signature per celebrity/athlete to tell whats real and whats not. I personally own 2 bettis autographed pieces and the signatures are a bit different.

Agreed. The helmet and sticker of the card looks as if they were signed in a sit down setting. Whereas the photo must have been signed in-person like Bettis getting off the team bus, after a game, training camp, etc. where he'll use a shorthanded version of his signature to sign for as much people as he could.

Zues
02-16-2011, 06:57 PM
Yeah I agree. I have a signed ball by Jordan and Kobe I got in person. The jordan signature is a little different than most of his, but the kobe one looks the same when I compared. I can't question the legitimacy of PSA/DNA

olemissfan20
02-16-2011, 07:04 PM
In my opinion PSA is garbage I don't trust them at all. On the other side of the ball. I got 4 jerseys signed by reggie bush at one time all looked the same. sent them in the authenticated 3 and rejected one. I have also seen lots of questionable items by them too.

chajones
02-16-2011, 07:53 PM
It looks legit to me. When PSA or JSA or any of the 3rd party "verify" they are just saying that they either 1. The don't have any indication that it isn't real - therefore pass, or that 2. there is enough negative to make them question whether it is real - fail.

They never say it is 100% real or it is 100% wrong.

They say "we believe" it is real OR "we can't say for sure." They never say it isn't an authentic auto - we just assume that they answer in those terms.

But evaluating an auto has little to do with the position, shape etc of the auto. It has to do with pen strokes, where the pen presses harder and lighter throughout and subtle differences in the way Jerome curls his "b"s.

Are any of the companies perfect? Doubtful. But they are going to be MUCH more accurate than the average person. And just as important, there's the shared confidence of the community that perpetuates the reputation or dismantles it!

Some might think that PSA or JSA doesn’t put a whole lot of time into each signature. But they know that IF they make a series of mistakes and their reputation suffers, their entire business could be at stake. So I feel confident in JSA or PSA every time I buy or ask for their opinions.

Ramjak Sports
02-16-2011, 08:56 PM
I did a test with the same jersey to 4 different "authenticators" . I personally got the jersey autographed by wayne gretzky at a private signing.

I sent the jersey into each twice. 3 out of 4 stated once that it was authentic, either the first or second time in, but rejected it the other time.

Only one was consistant , and failed it twice.

I only trust one COA or LOA. MINE. It is a boatload of crap that they can say it is real one time, reject the next. Same jersey submitted 8 times. Signed in front of me, while he was sitting down. Out of the 8 times, 5 times "in their opinion not authentic"

They dont have any experts on their staff. It has been proven in court actually.

OK, rant over.

BGT Masters
02-16-2011, 09:21 PM
Samething happened to me (sort of). Back in 1992/93 I had a few cards signed in Houston at a signing at Kmart or Walmart I forget which. A few years ago I decided I wasn't doing anything with them and put them up for sale. (Ken Caminiti) by the way. One was a 1991 UD Auto which I still have, and one was a 1988 Topps RC. Someone on ebay told me the 1988 failed a quick opinion. Considering I had these personally autographed I was a bit miffed. Of course I think grading in general is a sham. That probably has something to do with it.

INTIMADATOR2007
02-16-2011, 09:56 PM
When they authenticate some ones signature as real and it turns out to be a signiture of a totally different person ,Then I cannot trust there service ..I wouldn't send them anything !

Zues
02-16-2011, 10:09 PM
So when selling memorabilia do you just trust what the seller says? No offence but I can't trust 95% of the people. For example, If I were to sell my Kobe/MJ signed ball which was signed in person, I would expect a value of $900+ as it was signed also when both were in the NBA, but I would never spend that much money with a COA, but thats just me.