PDA

View Full Version : Scoreboard COA's

Shockers
05-29-2005, 05:40 PM
Out of curiosity, I was wondering what everyone's opinion of Scoreboard was as an authenticator? I know that UDA, Steiner, Tri-Star, PSA/DNA are the big names. But where does Scoreboard rank? Thanks in advance guys and gals.

kr580
05-29-2005, 06:36 PM
lol... fake. Scoreboard was notorious for their fake autographed items.

LakersMC
05-30-2005, 05:19 PM
Scoreboard was doing COAs before everyone started going with the 'matching hologram' method. ie. There is no way of correlating your COA from Scoreboard to the actual item that is signed. On top of that, Scoreboard COAs are typically just printed on paper and easy to copy.
All that adds up to Scoreboard COAs being worthless. That's what I've heard anyways...

Nasty_Boy
05-30-2005, 05:44 PM
Scoreboard is so fake. I've seen sellers on eBay from shady business law countries like Switzerland and Singapore selling them. And they had the same 10 Derek Jeter Autos, 5 Nolan Ryan Autos, 5 Kobe's and 5 Shaq autos for sale...which is like the same person having 3 1/1s of the same card. They are printed on a sticker. If it doesn't have the "You just got a Shaquille O'Neal Autograph" printed on the back of the card...then think about buying it. Which I mean by "Think" is...look at it with caution still. Why do you think ScoreBoard Nolan Ryan Autos only fetch $15 bucks on eBay and a UpperDeck Nolan Ryan fetches between $150-200?

linksmaker
06-01-2005, 10:09 AM
actually Scoreboard true auto's are not fake. all the ones I've had and have looked authentic compared to UD's and the COA's have sticker Holograms on them, not just printed paper. I have a couple Bibby auto basketball coa's for proof if anyone needs them. the backs of the auto'd cards have a coa on them but does not state who the card was signed by. I've also have signed items that the COA states what was signed (i.e. magazine, newspaper, baseball, etc...and by whom)

Dalkiel
06-01-2005, 10:21 AM
Scoreboard is perfectly legitimate. Their VERY early stuff is difficult to ascertain whether it's authentic or not, but their later stuff has either a Hologram OR you can hold the certificate up to a black light and their logo will be visible.

Yes some sellers have tons of Scoreboard stuff. That's just how they operated, they would get TONS of stuff done of their players. I know a guy who had a few dozen Nolan Ryan balls & Sandy Koufax balls, all perfectly real, he just got a great deal on them.

Should you be careful? Yes. Are they all fake? No way.

David

LakersMC
06-01-2005, 02:45 PM
Scoreboard is perfectly legitimate. Their VERY early stuff is difficult to ascertain whether it's authentic or not, but their later stuff has either a Hologram OR you can hold the certificate up to a black light and their logo will be visible.

I stand corrected then. I guess their later stuff has more counterfeit-proofing. That's good to know. Thanks!

Nasty_Boy
06-01-2005, 02:54 PM
Yeah but the value of the ScoreBoard cards are low. That's because of confeiting. If you are looking for a sound investment...buy PSA/DNA, Steiner, or one from one of the Major Trading Companies.

I mean even the best of hobby dealers do not have 10 Derek Jeter Autos, 5 Farves, 5 Shaq's, 3 Marinos, 5 Nolan Ryans, 2 Montana's, 5 A-Rod's, 5 Tim Duncan's, 3 Allen Iversons, and 3 Barry Sanders for sale, all from one brand.

I mean I even seen a ScoreBoard COA on a Fleer and Upper Deck cards. Now I think a few months ago, we posted a link mentioning this scammer. Let me see if I can pull it up and ya'll can judge for yourself.

All I'm saying is that when your buying ScoreBoard....BUY WITH CAUTION! Whether it's newer stuff or not, once you receive your materials, it's not a guarantee.

LakersMC
06-01-2005, 03:05 PM
Just did a quick google.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=scoreboard+fake+autographs

The main problem is that Scoreboard went bankrupt and is out of business. So there are stories about:
1. A guy who bought the scoreboard COA embosser and making his own COAs.
2. Guys faking autographs and using real scoreboard COAs to accompany them.

I also remember hearing about some people at Scoreboard faking a bunch of autographs right before they went bankrupt just to try to rake in some last minute cash.

Personally, I would be ok with Scoreboard cards with the COA on the back of the card (ie. certified cards from packs). But I would stay away from everything else. But that's just me.

Nasty_Boy
06-01-2005, 03:23 PM
Well from what I was reading...and maybe you should look at my post in this same forum...which I will link....you gotta figure out what year ScoreBoard went out of business. And if you see any ScoreBoard autos on a Donruss or Upper Deck card...DO NOT BUY. That's what I have been reading all over the place.