PDA

View Full Version : Obama threatens veto of GOP budget cuts of...

OnePimpTiger
02-15-2011, 11:35 PM
Barack Obama plays hardball with veto threat (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0211/49603.html)

President Barack Obama signaled his openness to larger deficit-reduction talks with Congress on Tuesday but drew a sharp line at the immediate spending cuts proposed by the House, even suggesting that Republicans were jeopardizing the Pentagon’s ability to “meet vital military requirements"...

...“The bill proposes cuts that would sharply undermine core government functions and investments key to economic growth and job creation and would reduce funding for the Department of Defense to a level that would leave the department without the resources and flexibility needed to meet vital military requirements,” the statement read. “If the president is presented with a bill that undermines critical priorities or national security through funding levels or restrictions, contains earmarks or curtails the drivers of long-term economic growth and job creation while continuing to burden future generations with deficits, the president will veto the bill.”

In fact, Republicans have already sworn to keep all earmarks out of the bill, and their primary focus remains domestic and foreign-aid spending. But under pressure to meet the goal of cutting $100 billion from Obama’s 2011 requests, the House Appropriations Committee agreed to cut $15 billion from what Secretary of Defense Robert Gates had requested for 2011.

...defense spending?! Have we crossed into bizarro world?

The bolded part is what's funny/infuriating. We know it's all a sick game to politicians, but seriously...even as smooth of an orator as Obama is, I find it impossible that he could keep a straight face while saying that. He just spat into every Americans' face with that statement...even liberals.

pghin08
02-16-2011, 12:58 PM
I think I blacked out halfway through that. What is he smoking?

sanfran22
02-16-2011, 10:33 PM
I think I blacked out halfway through that. What is he smoking?
I though Michelle made him quit smoking:sign0020: Along with making restaurants serve smaller portions, spending money in "food deserts" ect ect:whistle: