PDA

View Full Version : Why don't we hear about the Afghanistan War any more?

OnePimpTiger
02-15-2011, 11:46 PM
It just crossed my mind today that we read next to nothing about the war in Afghanistan any more compared to the coverage '07, '08, and even a year ago...why is that do you think?

Star_Cards
02-16-2011, 11:19 AM
I'm not really sure. It's a good question. I guess we're more into billy ray cyrus interviews.

I wish we weren't hearing about it because it wasn't happening. Maybe someday soon the troops will be out.

CLEsportscards
02-16-2011, 11:21 AM
I think the government wants us to forget about it so they think it is not going on anymore. Since it seems the government runs the big news stations they probably are paying them to keep it off the news

Star_Cards
02-16-2011, 12:15 PM
I find it hard to believe that the government would be paying media to keep the war out if the news. Most news shows are about sensationalism and if it's not there they won't really speak about.

habsheaven
02-16-2011, 01:09 PM
I think the government wants us to forget about it so they think it is not going on anymore. Since it seems the government runs the big news stations they probably are paying them to keep it off the news

How would that explain Fox News? Try again!!

OnePimpTiger
02-16-2011, 01:49 PM
Maybe the answer isn't as obvious as I had thought. The government doesn't have to pay the media to keep it out of the news, the media does a good enough job on its own to avoid showing the current administration in a negative light.

The reason it's not being covered as much is because it is still going on despite the hoopla Obama campaigned with about ending it ASAP. The media doesn't want to point out one more major promise broken. One of Obama's major campaign promises was to change the course of the war and I remember a lot of talk about an immediate and/or very soon drawdown of forces. Don't hear much about that any more, do ya? We're still there and there's no end in sight. I read last night there is an expected withdrawal in June of this year, but that will be a small number of soldiers and it said a large withdrawal is not feasible any time soon.

During the Bush admin (ie the first 7 years of the war), it was constant news. During the election campaign, it was front and center, a major point of difference brought up by Obama. Right after the election, it was a victory towards ending the evil war. But even though it's now going into its tenth year, even though it's just completed its deadliest year for American soldiers yet, it is no longer newsworthy.

shortking98
02-16-2011, 01:56 PM
OPT - I agree to an extent however, if my memory serves I believe the Afghanistan war was less of a media focus after the Iraq war began

habsheaven
02-16-2011, 07:42 PM
Maybe the answer isn't as obvious as I had thought. The government doesn't have to pay the media to keep it out of the news, the media does a good enough job on its own to avoid showing the current administration in a negative light.

The reason it's not being covered as much is because it is still going on despite the hoopla Obama campaigned with about ending it ASAP. The media doesn't want to point out one more major promise broken. One of Obama's major campaign promises was to change the course of the war and I remember a lot of talk about an immediate and/or very soon drawdown of forces. Don't hear much about that any more, do ya? We're still there and there's no end in sight. I read last night there is an expected withdrawal in June of this year, but that will be a small number of soldiers and it said a large withdrawal is not feasible any time soon.

During the Bush admin (ie the first 7 years of the war), it was constant news. During the election campaign, it was front and center, a major point of difference brought up by Obama. Right after the election, it was a victory towards ending the evil war. But even though it's now going into its tenth year, even though it's just completed its deadliest year for American soldiers yet, it is no longer newsworthy.

Are you confusing Iraq with Afghanistan? And again, that doesn't explain Fox's lack of coverage of the war.

sanfran22
02-16-2011, 10:27 PM
Are you confusing Iraq with Afghanistan? And again, that doesn't explain Fox's lack of coverage of the war.
Do you watch fox?

habsheaven
02-17-2011, 11:27 AM
Do you watch fox?

Occasionally, but I was assuming OPT's comment included them too since he didn't exclude them in his post. Are you saying Fox does still cover the war as much as it always has?

duane1969
02-17-2011, 11:46 AM
No Fox does not cover it as much as they used to. At the end of the day they cover what draws watchers and right now that is the unrest in numerous Middle Eastern countries. I also wouldn't call FoxNews mainstream media.

However, OPT has a point. When the Bush admin was in office all you heard on mainstream televsion was how bad the war in Iraq and Afghanistan was and how we needed to pull out. We are still in Iraq and Afghanistan yet you never hear the talking heads berate Obama for not getting us out. Nothing has changed there. We are still there and troops are still dying. A double-standard clearly exists.

*censored*
02-20-2011, 09:28 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but I never saw the media claiming Afghanistan was an unnecessary war. Only Iraq. We had a legitimate reason to go into Afghanistan, whereas Iraq was built on a lot of faulty information. I also seem to only remember Obama promising to get out of Iraq. Granted, I could be wrong here.

The Bush administration should have truly completed what they were trying to do in Afghanistan before going anywhere else. Now that we're out of Iraq, more attention should be put on Afghanistan. However, since there hasn't been a major public backlash against that war, the media and the people as a whole have little interest in it.

11chaos
02-21-2011, 06:20 AM
Now that we're out of Iraq, more attention should be put on Afghanistan. However, since there hasn't been a major public backlash against that war, the media and the people as a whole have little interest in it.

****We are still in Iraq by the way.****

The Afghan Gov't is so corrupt it is sickening. We should take everything out with us when we pull out, level the bases, burn and salt the lands we are currently occupying and build a wall around the entire Area. Let them kill each other, who cares.

They don't think like us, period and will never think like us, nothing wrong with that just don't try to come at us again.