PDA

View Full Version : Education system stinks, not only are the teacher getting screwed...

jeffgordon
02-21-2011, 06:32 PM
The education system stinks. Not only are the teachers getting screwed, but the students are 2. I see and hear so much in the news about schools closing, education budgets are getting cut, teachers are getting cut, pay getting froze, courses and special programs are getting cut. I see that the NY govonor wants to cut education budget. This will not only hurt the work force, it will hurt the students. This hits home for me. My daughter is special needs, she has alot of medical problems, and has alot of learning problems. She also cannot talk. Dr. think she will one day talk but don't know when and how much she will be able to speak. She will need special ED teachers. If these services get cut, I don't know what will happen. I am TICKED OFF!!! NY has a thing called NY State Lottery, (suposly the money is to be used for education) but I think thats a crock of BS!. The Lotto makes muti Millions DAILY. Gambaling is illeagal in NY, but if the government can get their hands on a peice of pie they will.

duane1969
02-21-2011, 08:01 PM
Let me preface this by saying that both myself and my wife work in the education system.

Two thoughts here:

1) If you daughter has that much of a special need then she needs to be in a special education system, not a special ed classroom. It is my opinion that special ed classrooms in the public education system are dumping grounds for troubled students. 90% of the kids in those classes are just one bad choice away from the juvenile detention system. Often it is not an environment that is conducive to learning, especially for one who really needs a specialized education plan.

2) You give special ed teachers way too much credit. Not to take anything away from them, because they do a job that many others will not, but most special ed teachers are just regular teachers with a few credit hours of training in mental and physical disorders.

Also, I understand your frustration, but special needs are the last thing to get cut (it is funded seperately) and the average special needs student gets 2x-3x more spent on their education than the average student. I am sure her needs will be met.

jeffgordon
02-22-2011, 06:52 PM
Let me preface this by saying that both myself and my wife work in the education system.

Two thoughts here:

1) If you daughter has that much of a special need then she needs to be in a special education system, not a special ed classroom. It is my opinion that special ed classrooms in the public education system are dumping grounds for troubled students. 90% of the kids in those classes are just one bad choice away from the juvenile detention system. Often it is not an environment that is conducive to learning, especially for one who really needs a specialized education plan.

2) You give special ed teachers way too much credit. Not to take anything away from them, because they do a job that many others will not, but most special ed teachers are just regular teachers with a few credit hours of training in mental and physical disorders.

Also, I understand your frustration, but special needs are the last thing to get cut (it is funded seperately) and the average special needs student gets 2x-3x more spent on their education than the average student. I am sure her needs will be met.

My daughter is in early intervention right now. From what I understood my wife to say was at age 3 early intervention stops and the school systems takes over for anyone that has special needs. We are looking at a school right now to send my daughter to next year. This school is know for helping special needs children. Just because a person is called special needs does not in anyway mean they are juvenile, nor should they be called troubled students. These are students with disabilities. Unless you are personally dealing with any disabilities we can't put ourselves in their shoes. Children with disabilities should be treated just like any other child.

duane1969
02-22-2011, 07:00 PM
I am not saying that all students who are in special ed/special needs classes are juvenile offenders or troubled students. That would be entirely incorrect.

However, if you ask any public school employee you will hear the same thing. Students who have home issues (drugs, abuse, neglect, etc.) and who act out because of their inability to cope are often labeled as having social behaviour disorders and shoved off into a special ed class to get rid of them. It is an ugly truth but it is a truth nonetheless.

I never said that children with disabilities should not be treated like every other child. I don't know where you got that from.

jeffgordon
02-22-2011, 07:40 PM
I am not saying that all students who are in special ed/special needs classes are juvenile offenders or troubled students. That would be entirely incorrect.

However, if you ask any public school employee you will hear the same thing. Students who have home issues (drugs, abuse, neglect, etc.) and who act out because of their inability to cope are often labeled as having social behaviour disorders and shoved off into a special ed class to get rid of them. It is an ugly truth but it is a truth nonetheless.

I never said that children with disabilities should not be treated like every other child. I don't know where you got that from.

No hard feelings, the last part, I must have miss understood what you were saying.