PDA

View Full Version : Larry Bird is a JERK!

netsfan21
02-25-2011, 02:59 PM
I was at a Nets game and Larry bird was there b/c it was a pacers game. Keep in mind I'm a middle schooler. I ask him to sign my card and he says I don't sign balls to my brother and his friend and me. I had a card! He then sat down in the stands guarded by two security guards. He then walks back and we ask him to sign he ignores us puts his hand in front of his face.:rant:After that i was just going to give up every time he walked back and forth. I almost felt like he was taunting me. After this experience I will never be his fan again. Spread the news Bird is a Jerk!

Johnmulemiles
02-25-2011, 04:47 PM
Did the same thing to me at a Nets game.

tboculosis
02-25-2011, 09:11 PM
I've heard he only signs tickets at the game.

limitedplay50
02-25-2011, 09:14 PM
He was there to watch the game. Maybe he was having a bad day after 500th time being asked to sign. It happens, you can't win them all. Im sure he signed some that day.

cwells52
02-25-2011, 09:17 PM

^ This

bob9826
02-25-2011, 09:19 PM
and index cards i believe

give someone a chance before you call him a jerk

netsfan21
02-25-2011, 09:44 PM
i'm a middle schooler he was rude didn't ven make eye contact. He walked right past us. even before this i knew he was stubborn

Jaded
02-26-2011, 02:28 AM
he was nice when I went to the Pacers/Bulls game. He said hi to us,, didn't ignore us. maybe its because we didn't ask for an auto, but the man is definately not a jerk.

metsfan6986
02-26-2011, 02:32 AM

That's almost bad as David Cone sending back TTM and requesting $50 per card. Any player who doesn't do for the kids is a jerk IMO. I remember I met Hank Aaron at Arthur Ashe stadium during the Tennis U.S. Open and he declined me for an autograph as well. It's just not right.

cwells52
02-26-2011, 08:41 AM
It's not rude when someone denies any of us an autograph, especially when they are out somewhere enjoying another sport or maybe even eating dinner. Just because someone declines you an autograph doesn't make them a jerk or anything of that nature, maybe they are with their family or friends and don't want to be bothered. As far as not making eye contact, why would he when he doesn't even know you? If it was just some random guy that kept walking past and looking at you, I'd guess you would think that he was stalking or wondering what he was "staring" at. It's not anyones duty to give us autographs and the sooner people realize that the better off they will be.

bob9826
02-26-2011, 09:36 AM
That's almost bad as David Cone sending back TTM and requesting $50 per card. Any player who doesn't do for the kids is a jerk IMO. I remember I met Hank Aaron at Arthur Ashe stadium during the Tennis U.S. Open and he declined me for an autograph as well. It's just not right.
at least he sign signs something
How its a signed ticket bad?
You still get the autograph Its not on something nice but you could frame the ticket with a 8x10 of him

Besides he is the general manager and probably wants to watch the game
Ive seen Joe Dumars at 10+ pistons games but i have never asked him for an autograph since i would wait till the end of the game since he was doing his job and every time joe has left right before the game ended .

it sounds like you asked him during the game and he probably wanted to watch the game

bob9826
02-26-2011, 09:53 AM
sorry double post

TTMcardMaster
02-26-2011, 10:39 AM
He only does tickets. Its been like that for a while now. Besides, it wasn't an organized signing, so it's not like he HAD to sign for you....

metsmagic18
03-05-2011, 03:41 PM
I was at a Nets game and Larry bird was there b/c it was a pacers game. Keep in mind I'm a middle schooler. I ask him to sign my card and he says I don't sign balls to my brother and his friend and me. I had a card! He then sat down in the stands guarded by two security guards. He then walks back and we ask him to sign he ignores us puts his hand in front of his face.:rant:After that i was just going to give up every time he walked back and forth. I almost felt like he was taunting me. After this experience I will never be his fan again. Spread the news Bird is a Jerk!

Exact same experience except it was Tom Seaver at a Mets game.

chrisj59
03-05-2011, 03:56 PM
i got shot down by Chris Paul at the Bob Gibbons Classic. It was after the game and as he was leaving. I was the only one there. I asked him if he could a picture for me he said no, I said okay thanks. First time I was turned away it stings a little but noone has to ever sign anything. Ive gotten him since at a hornets game.

metsmagic18
03-05-2011, 04:03 PM
i got shot down by Chris Paul at the Bob Gibbons Classic. It was after the game and as he was leaving. I was the only one there. I asked him if he could a picture for me he said no, I said okay thanks. First time I was turned away it stings a little but noone has to ever sign anything. Ive gotten him since at a hornets game.

You did the right thing, and he responded in a "polite" way. It's ok to say no, but there's no need to be disrespectful. With Tom Seaver. I had more or less the same experience as netsfan21 did. At The Last Game at Shea, I was sitting right next to the tunnel and 3 times he walked back and forth and I was the only person there. I will admit I shouldn't have asked more than once but... First I just asked politely. I called him "Mr. Seaver" I said "please" he pretended to be looking around, admiring the stadium. OK, I thought maybe he didn't hear. Second time, I asked politely again. He looked the other way and stuck his hand out in front of his face. Seriously? Last Game in the Stadium's history? Only guy there? Sure, I understand not giving an autograph and I'm ok with that but he deliberately avoided me. Didn't make eye contact, didn't say no. Additionally, it was 2 hours before game time.

roaddogg02316
03-07-2011, 01:42 PM
It's not rude when someone denies any of us an autograph, especially when they are out somewhere enjoying another sport or maybe even eating dinner. Just because someone declines you an autograph doesn't make them a jerk or anything of that nature, maybe they are with their family or friends and don't want to be bothered. As far as not making eye contact, why would he when he doesn't even know you? If it was just some random guy that kept walking past and looking at you, I'd guess you would think that he was stalking or wondering what he was "staring" at. It's not anyones duty to give us autographs and the sooner people realize that the better off they will be.

Very true. And if you are to say anything bad to them. That does not help it for other collectors. It will make them not want to sign. Like the other day after a hockey game. First guy out of the building was a guy who has been scratched the past few games. He said no and that was that. But then I see another guy almost standing in front of his car, not sure if he was pushing the issue. But be respectful guys have bad days and don't want to sign. They are only human.

Reggie_Miller
03-10-2011, 09:35 PM
Larry Legend is awesome--he'll only sign tickets, though, and I've gotten him multiple times. :D

mrveggieman
04-06-2011, 10:02 AM
I'm sorry about your bad experiences with Larry Bird. I actually lucked up at a Pacers vs Hawks game during the holiday season. I was standing around awaiting for the players to come out and I was shocked to see Larry Bird walk by. I forgot that he worked for the pacers and did not have anything special for him to sign. Off the top of my head I said hey Larry could you sign my program. He did, I thanked him and he went about his business. Some ball players are just sometimey. I know for a fact that on some nights Dominique Wilkins will sign for everyone in the building and on other nights he will not spit on you if you are on fire. I'm guessing from what people on here are saying that Bird is the same way and I just lucked up and caught him on a good night.

raleigha15
08-19-2013, 05:52 PM
you have to realize you are REQUESTING an autograph. he can deny you if he wants to. Yes he only signs game tickets and index cards. also it is only during full timeouts or, if your lucky and he is in a good mood, during halftime. plus, you need to remember he is the shy guy of basketball. If you ever watched his interviews he is a very shy man. Its not that he is stuck up or thinks hes better because of all the stuff he does for kids im gunna go ahead and say he is a very generous man. Think about what he does all day. whenever he is in public he is always in the spotlight. a fan of the game would want to watch the game and if people just come up every five seconds to ask for an autograph it will get pretty crazy. timing is the perfect word. Especially from a man who has dedicated his whole life to the game of basketball. Just remember a lot of people also take the autograph and sell it for mass money. i would get sick and tired of that too. thats the reason he only signs tickets and index cards. just take a minute to look at the facts of him. give the man a break he is just a shy man that happened to be one of the greatest basketball players ever to play the game.