PDA

View Full Version : Miami-Dade voters fire Mayor Carlos Alvarez over pay hikes, tax increase

mikesilvia
03-16-2011, 09:33 AM
I wish more people around the nation would ACT against big government mayors and other government officials (http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/03/15/2117129/9-of-10-say-yes-to-ousting-alvarez.html). Hopefully, this repeats in 2012!

sanfran22
03-16-2011, 12:46 PM
Good for them....Keep it up (I'm looking at you Wisconsin and Illinois dems...)

pr0phet
03-16-2011, 03:11 PM
I'm torn on this issue(based off the article alone)

One the good for them side, giving people an 11% pay raise is out of control. You should NEVER have the power to give yourself or anybody close to you a pay raise. This should be done by a non partisan committee(if there is such a thing). Some of those projects described are pretty silly. But how many good projects did he do?

On the what the hell are they doing side. I have to ask anybody who follows me to ask themselves whats wrong with getting a fair pay raise. We don't know what the union raises were(or at least I missed it). If we get stingy on pay raises, guess what, your going to be job hopping all the time unless the company feels you are too hard to replace. As far as spending goes. I sure hope that nobody works at a company who gets some kind of federal spending/tax breaks. Tax breaks are just like federal spending being that the govt. doesn't collect the income. Some tax breaks are good, while others suck. If you just happen to work for a company who gets one of those stupid tax breaks and it gets taken away... Guess what, there going to cut their budget and possibly you. Sometimes, it isn't all about the spending.

So yeah, I guess it all revolves around what you support. I know certain people are going to take out certain things from the article because of what they believe in.

duane1969
03-16-2011, 03:22 PM
I'm torn on this issue(based off the article alone)

One the good for them side, giving people an 11% pay raise is out of control. You should NEVER have the power to give yourself or anybody close to you a pay raise. This should be done by a non partisan committee(if there is such a thing). Some of those projects described are pretty silly. But how many good projects did he do?

On the what the hell are they doing side. I have to ask anybody who follows me to ask themselves whats wrong with getting a fair pay raise. We don't know what the union raises were(or at least I missed it). If we get stingy on pay raises, guess what, your going to be job hopping all the time unless the company feels you are too hard to replace. As far as spending goes. I sure hope that nobody works at a company who gets some kind of federal spending/tax breaks. Tax breaks are just like federal spending being that the govt. doesn't collect the income. Some tax breaks are good, while others suck. If you just happen to work for a company who gets one of those stupid tax breaks and it gets taken away... Guess what, there going to cut their budget and possibly you. Sometimes, it isn't all about the spending.

So yeah, I guess it all revolves around what you support. I know certain people are going to take out certain things from the article because of what they believe in.

I agree with what you are saying. I have no first-hand knowledge of the situation but from what I have read the guy promised big cuts and fiscal responsibility and then spent big money on projects like the stadium then turned around and raised taxes to give govt. employees a raise.

Speaking from a personal perspective, if my local govt. spent millions building a stadium and then raised my taxes to give themsleves a pay raise, I would have an issue with it.

Here in my town "we" just won a lawsuit against the town because they were trying to annex my unincorporated area. It was all about tax money from property owners. They have spent millions putting in new sidewalks, remodeling city buildings, buying new holiday decorations to hang up around town, etc. and then they say they don't have the money to keep a failing water treatment system in working order. we will have a new mayor next election as well LOL.

pr0phet
03-16-2011, 10:04 PM
Damn, I was ok with some of the stuff(infrastructure is many cities is terrible) but when you say the water treatment is failing. That is not right!!!

I would also be OK in rare instances where govt. tried to raise taxes to help pay for a stadium.

If Lambeau field needed money to help rebuild a new stadium, I don't think people would mind. The same can go in Pittsburgh I am sure. Stadiums like that draw way to many people to let their fields go to hell!

mikesilvia
03-19-2011, 09:38 AM
Just so everyone knows this mayor is a Republican.

sanfran22
03-19-2011, 11:38 AM
Shouldn't really matter.

INTIMADATOR2007
03-19-2011, 11:45 AM
It just goes to show the people of the country don't care about labels . If it's a Dem or Rep. it don't matter people are fed up !

duane1969
03-20-2011, 12:59 AM
Regardless of party affiliation, politicians need to start fulfilling campaign promises instead of telling blatant lies just to get into office.