PDA

View Full Version : James Spence Another Nail In His Coffin, Authenticates Signature of Man 2 Years Dead

CRJSr9
03-22-2011, 04:04 PM
Check it out more news about jsa... <br />
<br />
<br />
http://www.autographalert.com/news.html

jtbruds9
03-22-2011, 05:20 PM
Thats pretty sad to authenticate something that was produced after the athleate died. What a joke of a company.

supbullcoc
03-23-2011, 09:16 AM
glad i dont own anything from JSA, id be after reading this

mmalpedo01
03-23-2011, 09:26 AM
PSA isn't any better. I consider myself as much of an expert as the rest of these wannabe autograph experts. I have been taken for a ride with GAI, PSA, and JSA. Mostly by them taking my money and deeming a signature I received in person as a fake. What a waste. I will never pay the money to have anything authenticated. Just my opinion!

Great Article BTW!

jtbruds9
03-23-2011, 06:30 PM
PSA isn't any better. I consider myself as much of an expert as the rest of these wannabe autograph experts. I have been taken for a ride with GAI, PSA, and JSA. Mostly by them taking my money and deeming a signature I received in person as a fake. What a waste. I will never pay the money to have anything authenticated. Just my opinion!

Great Article BTW!
I agree. Call me crazy but seeing the cert from any of the so called authenticators makes me not want to buy it.

duane1969
03-23-2011, 09:08 PM
I typically avoid the big name authenticators because their name attached to the item always makes it go for more. I am a reasonably smart fellow and I can do my own investigation and decide if the auto looks legit or not. I have seen too many blatant fakes that had a big name COA with it to rush out and buy based solely on who authenticated it. I have literally seen dozens of autos certified by PSA/DNA that I am positive were not authentic. I have my own authentication process...it is called due diligence.

everythingcollect
03-24-2011, 12:57 AM
Great post! Another Reason why I will not buy or sell any thing authenticated by 3rd party company. And just so everyone knows when you send items in to these 3rd party companies they dont go to a headquarter or something where there is only one or 2 people authenticating items they are fowarded to the next avaible authenticator most of which are card shop dealers most of which are NOT qualified authenticators and again since your not dealing with 1 or 2 people authenticating everything since its a handfull or more authenticating things there are always going to be differences in opinion on a signature. again there laim excuse when you complain saying the person signed it infront of you and looks just like another item authenticated by your company will be that you were paying for the OPINION nothing more. and any authenticator knows a person can sign his/her name 1000 times and not once will it be exactly the same.

HRHKINGJOE
03-24-2011, 01:35 AM
Sad but have to ROTFLMAO at the stupidity of authenticating that card!!!

Why I dont trust Certificates just because of reasons like that!

Djarum
03-24-2011, 02:36 AM
Seems Beckett picked a great authenticator for the grading service. Shows you Beckett never does there homework on who they pick.

Wondering what Beckett will say about this. Really curious on what all the downfalls will be because of this.

Dale

hello18
03-25-2011, 11:52 AM
Thats why i only get my stuff from NSD, UDA or Radtke sports

everythingcollect
07-22-2011, 03:50 AM
To the top! Great Topic!

Vegas
07-22-2011, 07:38 PM
I'd take all these stories from autograph alert with a grain of salt, or a giant bag of salt for that matter. That site is run by Steve Koschal, a very shady individual. Just do a google search on him and you'll see all kinds of shady stuff about him. He's had arrest warrants issued against him for falied child support payments. He was involved in a lawsuit where the judge threw out his testimony b/c the judge determined he was not at all qualified to issue opinions on autographs. He has a personal vendetta against both PSA and JSA and uses that site to attack them.

The funny thing is he doesn't say anything about obvious crooks like Coaches Corner, Chris Morales, Ted Taylor, etc. He's trying to smear the reputation of the two top authentication companies in the business for his own personal gain. And yes, he's a wannabe authenticator himself, which is funny since he spends so much time railing against 3rd party authenticators.

Are PSA and JSA perfect? Of course not, but that doesn't change the fact that they are the best in the business and respected by collectors and auction houses worldwide. So do a little research and get better informed before you buy all these stories at face value.

jaydoublez
07-23-2011, 01:25 AM
LOL you are just dying to smash on Spence, bro, I told you before it happens all the time, people say they want my stuff I get in person certed all the time but then they sit here and say JSA is crap and this and that. Some of my certs are JSA does that mean the autograph I got signed is now fake? PSA is just as guilty as Spence in any authentication blunders, theirs just never get out in the open. Why well I know a few reasons why but I am not sticking up for either company, I could authenticate graphs better than them any day of the week

203gunner
08-02-2011, 04:06 PM
I have quite an extensive collection of autographs, many of them TTM and IP. I thought about getting some authenticated so I decided to test a couple of authenticators, one is currently out of business and the other I won't name because they are, from what I hear, going out of business so there is no sense shoveling more dirt on the dead. I tested them by sending two cards that I had of Eli Manning. One was real and the other was my best attempt at forging it. Both came back authenticated. I knew then that these guys only cared about getting the dollar. The more they authenticate the more money they bring in. If word gets out they are denying people then thats bad for business. I decided then that I would not authenticate anything. I don't plan on selling anything so why bother? I know my IP autos are real and that a good many of my TTM ones are real and that some might be ghost signed and autopenned. I'm ok with that. I own a collection and don't run a store. To hell with all of these so-called experts. If I want my stuff authenticated I might call in an FBI agent and pay him to do it, I might get better and more honest results!

HouslerFan1
08-05-2011, 01:52 PM
I know first hand these autheticator are a crock.. I had a David Wright autoed 8x10 I had personally signed myself and even had a proof pick of him sigining the exact photo. Well I sold it to someone who asked if I would issue a full refund in he had it authenticated and it came back "not authentic". Of couse I had no issues with this and even showed him the proof pic of him signing the photos. Well wouldnt you know it , about 10 days later the photo came back unauthentic. These guys are a joke from personal experience a guy will sign different if he signing for a few people or a crowd of people. I got 2 Jose Reyes signed 8x10s this year in port st lucie and both looked different because of the example I gave above.. Dont waste yor money people

HOF collecting
08-05-2011, 03:26 PM
I think that PSA, JSA, GAI etc should have a money back guerantee with there crazy fee to Bless the item in question. One of my favorite items that keeps getting put on eBay for years it seems is a Jimmie Foxx autograph encased by PSA that the name is spelled... Jimmy? I guess he forgot how to spell his name that day! Another one is ruber stamped certified autographs!
Let's pay them to guess and not be educated!

rickysigai
08-07-2011, 09:20 PM
he is at the shop near me once a month should take this in

he`s comming sept 17th
http://www.greatmomentsinc.com/jaspau.html

SportsLover57
08-10-2011, 03:18 PM
Since we're hearing a lot of negative news about PSA, JSA, and GAI (all third party authenticators).... I'm wondering, has anyone tried to question Tri Star, MLB, Beckett, Upper Deck, or Steiner's reputation when it comes to buying their items (autos, game used, cards, etc) being 100&#37; authentic/genuine (as stated in their ads)?

HOF collecting
08-10-2011, 04:59 PM
Tristar, ud( for the most part), Steiner do the signings

SportsLover57
08-10-2011, 05:15 PM
Tristar, ud( for the most part), Steiner do the signings

Yes, I understand 'they' (TriStar, UD, Steiner) do the signings. However, demand will always be higher than what they can supply. It seems as though Steiner has an 'unlimited' supply of some really good autographed baseballs. And from the sound of it, it doesn't look like they'll be running out of them soon.

I don't see much auto'd memorabilia on TriStar or UD's website. Looks like they have limited supplies. But, still, how are you going to promote your business if you don't have much to sell? Call me paranoid but just my two cents.

beachboy22
08-10-2011, 05:21 PM
I know that Steiner does signing with their athletes that are under contrat with them a few times a year. Like i belive the have a signing with Hank Aaron 4 times a year.

baseballboy2
08-10-2011, 07:06 PM
I don't even fully trust PSA/DNA because I have seen very sketchy stuff that they authenticated. Everybody should just stick to buying certified cards. You don't have to question the authenticity and they are much easier to store.

rickysigai
08-10-2011, 07:27 PM
I don't even fully trust PSA/DNA because I have seen very sketchy stuff that they authenticated. Everybody should just stick to buying certified cards. You don't have to question the authenticity and they are much easier to store.
they have been faked too - the old proline has their girlfriends signing for them -ect

Danols1
08-10-2011, 07:38 PM
Am i missing smoething ? U say this is cert by jsa but yet there is not sticker or number from them on the item ? And as for them only wanting money u know u pay weather it passes or not so u think they really want to pass things on purpose that are fake and ruin millions of dollars ? I don think so i am not sticking up for any company just pointing a few things out that i dont get ?

Danols1
08-10-2011, 07:39 PM
O have seen cards on ebay that have a sticker on them when they are suppose to be on card autos that have sold as real .... This hobby is going to shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

aspoe093
08-11-2011, 03:53 PM
Just told by a reliable source that most of Mike Miller's earlier signatures on cards were done by his brother. The person who told me this knows the Miller's personally and still lives in Mitchell, SD

everythingcollect
08-11-2011, 08:01 PM
Tristar UD steiner all do private or public signings so they are not consider 3rd party as these items are being signed Right in front of them just like people that get in person autographs. 3rd party so called authenticators are giving there OPINION on if THEY think the autograph is real or not and most those so called 3rd party authenticators are not QUALIFIED (meaning having a DEGREE) to give that opinion seriously they are about as qualified to give an opinion as you or i.. i bet if you asked anyone at GAI, JSA or PSA to show you there Forensic Handwriting Analysis Degree It WONT HAPPEN.

Danols1
08-11-2011, 08:09 PM
again i am asking where is there the proof jsa certed that card ? please help me out ?

gators241987
08-11-2011, 08:24 PM
I dont think that so many people (myself included) rely on JSA or PSA for their expertise on autographs, I think, atleast in my case, that we use them to have a higher resale value on our items. Many a time people have bought items from me in the long long past and since they didnt have a coa from one of them, decided to send the item to them to get them. In this situation I couldve either a. sold them for a higher cost since they had to spend $30+ to send them in or b. was given the questionable authenticity declaration and since I offer a 100&#37; money back guarantee even offering to pay fees if it comes back questionable, get bit in the behind. So now I just use JSA or PSA or whenever possible Steiner, UD, or MLB. Ive seen and had numerous things auto'd at airports, trains, etc when the athletes/celebrity was out of his or her realm and wasnt expecting to sign and the auto looks barely recognizable like their ones at events. For instance I had the "big show" the wrestler sign an index card and baseball in the train taking one from concourse to concourse at Hartsfield and it looked nothing like the 8x10s I had of him, and sure enough both JSA/GAI/PSA all failed the items that the sellers sent in. Still Larry, James, and Steve all see more autographs than most of us do so might have a slight edge in that category. Granted most dont have degree's or even certified except James to my knowledge but their sticker is far more valuable than all of ours will ever be. just my .02 and heres a link bashing PSA since turnabout is fair play.
http://www.fighttoys.com/lawsuit.htm

everythingcollect
08-11-2011, 08:39 PM
not sure about that boxing card but if you read the latest news on that website

http://www.autographalert.com/news.html

has links to ebay items which show its authenticated as genuine to be secraterials and if you check the links ebay has pulled most of the GAI listings

again this topic is not really about the ITEMS authenticated its about THE SO CALLED authenticators They dont have Degrees in FORENSIC Handwritting and i doubt they could show you one if you asked to see a DEGREE, they are as educated to give an opinion as you or I are. and if you dont know when you send in a batch of autographs to be authenticated they dont go to central place with one person authenticating these items they get fowarded to the next avaible authenticator all over the country i know this because a friend had a card shop for 20 years PSA asked him to be an authenticator...HE HAD NO education on AUTHENTICATING autographs!!! he asked what he had to do they told him they would send him shipments and he would pretty much say authentic or not... he didnt like that and turned them down told them he didnt want to have anything to do with that. unfortunately there are many gullable collectors that think just because there the BIG 3rd party companies they are all sqeaky clean and run there business Flawlessly with but if that was the case they would refund your money if there OPINION was overturned by an EDUCATED PROFESSIONAL in FORENSIC handwritting. i do suggest you read PSA JSA AND GAI SMALL PRINT as YOU ARE Paying for there OPINION and that is it and if there opinon should be OVERTURNED YOU DONT GET YOUR MONEY BACK....to me that does not sound like an HONEST BUSINESS....really if you think about it why should someone selling an autograph offer a 100&#37; money back guarantee IF the big 3 will NOT offer a REFUND if there OPINION is overturned???

Danols1
08-11-2011, 08:44 PM
will someone show me where jsa approved that cert that card please ....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i am not sure ... there is also a stiener site as well for fakes im not ehre to bash i just want soeone to show me where jsa cert that card please !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

everythingcollect
08-11-2011, 08:57 PM
will someone show me where jsa approved that cert that card please ....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i am not sure ... there is also a stiener site as well for fakes im not ehre to bash i just want soeone to show me where jsa cert that card please !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey amazing what a little googling will do lol heres the link to the auction house that states its was JSA authenticated

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=63034&c=SportsSports%20CardsMore%20Cool%20Stuff&t=Open&p=0&s (http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=63034&c=SportsSports&#37;20CardsMore%20Cool%20Stuff&t=Open&p=0&s)=

ironically there were 0 bids

again this is why PSA JSA AND GAI COA's are only worth the paper there written on

rickysigai
08-11-2011, 09:26 PM
gai is a huge joke

Danols1
08-11-2011, 10:16 PM
again .... ur not understanding there is no cert number to confirm it was jsa cert how do u know that auction house didnt lie ? i mean seriously ? so all u bashing folks think that something with a cert is not worth more ? and will sell higher ? nonoes is perfect but i am sorry i stand by jsa i have stuff by a few i will say out of all of them i wont even buy gai ... i had gai sent it to psa and jsa and they reject gai stuff when they had no idea it passed gai ... and spence himself help bulid psa .... so for the people have things early by psa and bash jsa ... look at your cert sig ... i never had anythin cert by jsa that failed jsa or failed jsa and psa passed ... jsa has done me right 100 percent ... i ahve over 150 things jsa cert

Danols1
08-11-2011, 10:18 PM
i can make a auction house and put stuff on that site fake and say jsa psa and everyone in the world passed it if it dont have a cert or sticke for u to check how could u even argure ?

gators241987
08-11-2011, 10:55 PM
gotta agree on that jack johnson item. Theres no proof that JSA even authenticated it. No hologram and no picture of the coa or loa. Just some guy saying it came with JSA. Plus dont even get me started on americamemorabilia.com A simple search for them with fraud or scam behind their name will reveal pages of info

PSA and JSA are the top tier and everyone else is just fighting for scraps. ACE, GAI, and whatever else someone who has $100 to make some holograms and slap them on some items.

Danols1
08-11-2011, 11:09 PM
thank you finally someone with some common sense

Vegas
08-16-2011, 06:17 PM
gotta agree on that jack johnson item. Theres no proof that JSA even authenticated it. No hologram and no picture of the coa or loa. Just some guy saying it came with JSA. Plus dont even get me started on americamemorabilia.com A simple search for them with fraud or scam behind their name will reveal pages of info

PSA and JSA are the top tier and everyone else is just fighting for scraps. ACE, GAI, and whatever else someone who has $100 to make some holograms and slap them on some items.

Very well said, the autograph alert website has zero credibilty (as I mentioned in an earlier post) and its sole purpose is to smear JSA & PSA. The fact that autograph alert is run by a wannabe 3rd party authenticator should tell you all you need to know.

baseballboy2
08-16-2011, 06:41 PM
they have been faked too - the old proline has their girlfriends signing for them -ect

Most of the certified cards are real. I did hear a story about a football player who had his father or something sign his cards. I'd much rather take my chances with certified cards then most signed balls, pictures, etc.

everythingcollect
08-16-2011, 11:38 PM
I'd take all these stories from autograph alert with a grain of salt, or a giant bag of salt for that matter. That site is run by Steve Koschal, a very shady individual. Just do a google search on him and you'll see all kinds of shady stuff about him. He's had arrest warrants issued against him for falied child support payments. He was involved in a lawsuit where the judge threw out his testimony b/c the judge determined he was not at all qualified to issue opinions on autographs. He has a personal vendetta against both PSA and JSA and uses that site to attack them.

The funny thing is he doesn't say anything about obvious crooks like Coaches Corner, Chris Morales, Ted Taylor, etc. He's trying to smear the reputation of the two top authentication companies in the business for his own personal gain. And yes, he's a wannabe authenticator himself, which is funny since he spends so much time railing against 3rd party authenticators.

Are PSA and JSA perfect? Of course not, but that doesn't change the fact that they are the best in the business and respected by collectors and auction houses worldwide. So do a little research and get better informed before you buy all these stories at face value.

Believe what you want to believe and if you have the MONEY to throw at these SO CALLED Authenticators More power to you! actually thats the only reason they are backed by these auction houses because they have the MONEY to fork at them and guess where they get that money FROM.... YOU. Not saying I would trust that guy to authenticate something BUT AT least hes opening the eyes of collectors at WHAT REALLY GOES ON at the 3rd party authenticators and again if you really believe theres only 1 authenticator working at the big 3 jsa psa gai then you have the wool being pulled over your eyes! last time ill will tell you how it works you send in your autographs to be authenticated its then fowarded to the next avaible (so called) authenticator DOES NOT GO TO A MAIN HEADQUATER could be anywhere in the U.S. these so called authenticators are hired off the street with no EXPERIENCE other then possibly working in the card shop business and just like you would be wiling to give your hard earn money to them to give you there so called PROFESSIONAL opinion i WOULD NOT be willing to give my hard earn money. and Im sorry but If a company has in small print that i cant get refunded if there so CALLED OPINION is Overturned by another 3rd party or Handwriting Professional im sorry but to me that is a SHADDY BUSINESS and if you want the link to that small print ill be more then happy to add it. I dont know about you but im not willing to throw money at a comany like that...i mean if you think about it if there not willing to give a REFUND if there opinion is overturned then why should any person selling an autograph have to issue a refund if one of these 3rd party authenticators give you there opinion that the autograph is not authentic??? its a free country and you can do what ever you want and believe what ever you want. Bottom line the only reason these 3rd party authenticators are backed and promoted is because they have your hard earn money to fork over to these companies sorry to say it. PSA should have stuck to grading cards and thats it. this is just my opinion and everyone has one as long as we can agree to disagree its all good.

NY Sports Teams
08-22-2011, 08:33 PM
Great post.

Just another example of why I think these authentication companies are a joke. I seriously believe they could not authenticate their own signatures.

I lay the blame on collector's for spending their money to have these jokers authenticate items. If collector's did not spend their cash these people would not be around.

JMHO...Rick