PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Party Authentication

chajones
03-22-2011, 08:28 PM
There's a lot of posts bashing 3rd party authentication. And I do understand the concern. But I'm wondering why no one is bashing the card companies.

Not only are we taking their words on current athletes, but more and more products contain cut autographs of deceased players. So it's only logical that the card companies must be using some 3rd party authentication service to verify the cut autos. Aren't they just as likely to be mistaken as a PSA type company? In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the companies don't contract one of the current authentication companies as it would be much cheaper than having an authograph verification on staff.

If we question JSA, PSA and GIA etc, then what makes anyone feel safe about say Topps or Panini?

jtbruds9
03-23-2011, 08:04 AM
There's a lot of posts bashing 3rd party authentication. And I do understand the concern. But I'm wondering why no one is bashing the card companies.

Not only are we taking their words on current athletes, but more and more products contain cut autographs of deceased players. So it's only logical that the card companies must be using some 3rd party authentication service to verify the cut autos. Aren't they just as likely to be mistaken as a PSA type company? In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the companies don't contract one of the current authentication companies as it would be much cheaper than having an authograph verification on staff.

If we question JSA, PSA and GIA etc, then what makes anyone feel safe about say Topps or Panini?

You are dead on with this. Wasnt there a story of a cut card that contained Babe Ruth and a few other baseball legends cut autos that contained fake signatures? I thought I remembered seeing something like that. I tend to trust the current athlete cards a little bit more but not completely. We have all seen an athlete or 2 who hates to sign autographs so I wouldnt put it past them to have someone else sign the stickers for them.

supbullcoc
03-23-2011, 08:19 AM
i wouldnt trust a cut auto from a player that played over 80 years ago. you see sooo many of those cut autos from those players and you have to think, where the hell do they all come from.

Riggs
03-23-2011, 07:17 PM
Great Thread!!

You are dead on with this. Wasnt there a story of a cut card that contained Babe Ruth and a few other baseball legends cut autos that contained fake signatures? I thought I remembered seeing something like that. I tend to trust the current athlete cards a little bit more but not completely. We have all seen an athlete or 2 who hates to sign autographs so I wouldnt put it past them to have someone else sign the stickers for them.

That was Upper Deck & i believe they paided out there ( you know what ) when the person that owned it figured out it was forged.

On the subject of athletes signing there own "AUTHENTICATED" auto's from the big companys, I read a story awhile back that early in his Career, Shaq had his buddys or whoever was around him at the time, sign a bunch of his "CERTIFIED" cards for him so who knows. No clue if this story is legit or not but i bet it does happen more often then you would think.

I have also seen some companys like Press Pass with Racing use one of there own Dale Earnhardt certified autograph cards they had in the vaults to make a cut card for a 2010 or 2011 Dale Earnhardt Legends card.

Also wonder, If a company like Press Pass, or Topps was to put out a cut autograph of Dale Earnhardt or Mickey Mantle & that card down the road was determined to be fake, how much responsibility falls on the 3rd party authenticators that deemed it authentic? I would hope after the Upper Deck mess, Company's learned something & could hold them more responsible. But they do always leave themselfs an out with there wording of deeming something authentic.