PDA

View Full Version : Well, Obama made it clear in his address today...

AUTaxMan
04-13-2011, 04:41 PM
Your money is not really yours. It belongs to the government. To the extent they don't tax your income, he views it as government spending, and any tax increases that they impose are just government "spending reductions."

theonedru
04-14-2011, 04:02 AM
Your money is not really yours. It belongs to the government. To the extent they don't tax your income, he views it as government spending, and any tax increases that they impose are just government "spending reductions."

Your money is not really yours. It belongs to the government.

And since the Gov't works for us doesnt that make it our $?

AUTaxMan
04-14-2011, 10:01 AM
Your money is not really yours. It belongs to the government.

And since the Gov't works for us doesnt that make it our $?

It works for us? You serious? How many people can say they are happy with the way the government has been spending our money? How many feel they can actually do something about it? It should work for us, but the government doesn't see it that way.

theonedru
04-14-2011, 01:06 PM
It works for us? You serious? How many people can say they are happy with the way the government has been spending our money? How many feel they can actually do something about it? It should work for us, but the government doesn't see it that way.

Americans are too cowardly to stand up for themselves these days. And the Government has taken full advantage of this.

sanfran22
04-14-2011, 03:51 PM
That speech made clear for all of the doubters what this president really is.....How anyone can have any doubt that this guy is probably one of the worst people to lead this country is baffling.......

pghin08
04-14-2011, 04:59 PM
So basically what I'm gathering from this thread is that you're all vehemently against tax increases?

AUTaxMan
04-14-2011, 05:20 PM
Who said that?

duane1969
04-14-2011, 05:42 PM
So basically what I'm gathering from this thread is that you're all vehemently against tax increases?

Nope. I am against uncontrolled govt. spending. Reduce the pork spending > reduce the need for an increased budget > reduce the need to raise taxes. It is a simple concept that apparently loses translation inside of D.C. city limits.

theonedru
04-14-2011, 05:52 PM
Nope. I am against uncontrolled govt. spending. Reduce the pork spending > reduce the need for an increased budget > reduce the need to raise taxes. It is a simple concept that apparently loses translation inside of D.C. city limits.

:cheer2:

pghin08
04-14-2011, 06:11 PM

Yeah, but what most consider "pork" amounts to an almost infinitesimal fraction of our budgetary problems. Our issues lie with defense, SS and Medicare/Medicaid. We've already seen Paul Ryan getting slammed for his medicare overhaul. That's a huge issue. Politicians keep catering to the seniors (a shocker--that's who votes), and it's driven these programs through the roof. It has to be one way or the other. Either people starting accepting these cuts, or we see a tax increase in order not to cut benefits.

sanfran22
04-14-2011, 08:34 PM
I'd agree with this and take it further to include entitlements and public sector jobs/departments......:party0048:

pghin08
04-14-2011, 08:41 PM
I'd agree with this and take it further to include entitlements and public sector jobs/departments......:party0048:

yes. this 1000 times over.

sanfran22
04-15-2011, 11:25 AM
I was thinking (I know for some of you scary thought). When did we become a nation of entitlements? With Wilson? FDR? Because it's very evident that we were not founded that way. We had a tough begining that was a constant fight and struggle to better yourself.
So nowadays a decent size of the population think they "deserve" a whole lot of things from others and that it's not fair if they don't get them.
So are we really gonna keep going down the road of being a pansy, handout nation?
Just curious because there are so many things that could be done but both sides are afraid to do it.
Grow some and deal with it.
I think the person that would do it would probably earn some serious respect from the 65-70% of the population that have some common sense.
I'm not a big fan of Trump or Paul, but both say some things that make sense....(and alot that doesn't,lol)

pghin08
04-15-2011, 11:53 AM
I was thinking (I know for some of you scary thought). When did we become a nation of entitlements? With Wilson? FDR? Because it's very evident that we were not founded that way. We had a tough begining that was a constant fight and struggle to better yourself.
So nowadays a decent size of the population think they "deserve" a whole lot of things from others and that it's not fair if they don't get them.
So are we really gonna keep going down the road of being a pansy, handout nation?
Just curious because there are so many things that could be done but both sides are afraid to do it.
Grow some and deal with it.
I think the person that would do it would probably earn some serious respect from the 65-70% of the population that have some common sense.
I'm not a big fan of Trump or Paul, but both say some things that make sense....(and alot that doesn't,lol)

Pretty sure that Medicare/Medicaid was LBJ. Social Security was FDR. Though I'm pretty sure that Medicare was a part (maybe not in name) of the original Social Security bill.

duane1969
04-15-2011, 12:15 PM
Yeah, but what most consider "pork" amounts to an almost infinitesimal fraction of our budgetary problems. Our issues lie with defense, SS and Medicare/Medicaid. We've already seen Paul Ryan getting slammed for his medicare overhaul. That's a huge issue. Politicians keep catering to the seniors (a shocker--that's who votes), and it's driven these programs through the roof. It has to be one way or the other. Either people starting accepting these cuts, or we see a tax increase in order not to cut benefits.

Thing is, a lot of pork exists within entitlement programs. Maybe not by it's purest definitions but there is certainly a considerable amount of unnecessary spending going on in those programs. If they simply kicked people off of welfare that don't need it then they could save hundreds of billions every year.

I am highly critical of entitlement programs and to some degree I consider them to be a form of pork spending simply because a very large percentage of voters benefit from entitlement programs. People vote for who will get them what they want. If a politician is openly opposed to entitlement programs then you can bet he will not get elected/re-elected. If a politician is for increasing entitlement spending then he is a virtual lock to get elected/re-elected.

I understand that pork spending isn't considered by many to be a big chunk of the economy, however, waste is waste. Spending $19 million to study the gases emitted from cow flatulence and then telling me that I have to pay more taxes is out of the question.

duane1969
04-15-2011, 12:22 PM
Here is some nice pork spending for ya. Next time you file your taxes think of these important things that your tax dollars are being spent on...

$57,000 spent by the Executive Branch for gold-embossed playing cards on Air Force Two.
$107,000 to study the sex life of the Japanese quail.
$1.2 million to study the breeding habits of the woodchuck.
$1 million to study why people don't ride bikes to work.
$2 million to construct an ancient Hawaiian canoe.
$160,000 to study if you can hex an opponent by drawing an X on his chest.
$100,000 to study how to avoid falling spacecraft.
$16,000 to study the operation of the komungo, a Korean stringed instrument.
$1 million to preserve a sewer in Trenton, NJ, as a historic monument.

Your tax dollars, hard at work.

limitedplay50
04-15-2011, 12:38 PM
I called this before Obama was even elected. He is a big gov't liberal and would drastically increase the size of gov't through high unemployment. Everyone is against tax increases and because of the nanny state he so badly wants and the money needed to fund the nanny state inflation would rear its ugly face and cause more people to become dependent on the gov't because of food gas price increases.

This is exactly where we are at this time EXACTLY. MSM is even reporting that the stock market rally has a 1 to 1 correlation with all the gov't bailouts so we know the gov't buying stocks trying to push inflation even higher. What does that mean, I HAVE NO FLIPPIN CLUE.

I think the inflation is fake. Don't see inflation I see deflation only food and gas going up nothing else besides unemployment. The gov't isnt going to raise taxes to pay for their nanny state and wont lay off all the govt employees either thats just smoke and mirrors. I think its do or die time for the economy as a whole. If what going on today in current events is really the new reality then the economy is in deep trouble its a total 100% complete stalemate.

karnivore
04-15-2011, 12:57 PM
Here is some nice pork spending for ya. Next time you file your taxes think of these important things that your tax dollars are being spent on...

$57,000 spent by the Executive Branch for gold-embossed playing cards on Air Force Two.

Gimme $500,000 and Ill tell ya, and save the Goverment half its money :P

heritage21
04-15-2011, 01:00 PM
As Eminem said, IM ALL FOR AMERICA **** THE GOVERNMENT

btw RECENT POLL STATED 95% OF BLACK NEW YORKERS THINK OBAMA IS HANDLING THE COUNTRY FINE. 46 % OF WHITE NEW YORKERS SAID HE IS HANDLING IT WRONG. HOW IS THIS NOT A RACE CARD.

AUTaxMan
04-15-2011, 01:03 PM
In 2010, Medicare squandered $48 BILLION on fraudulent or improper claims. To put that into perspective, in 2010, the nation's TEN largest health insurers COMBINED to net $12.7 billion in profits.

pghin08
04-15-2011, 02:49 PM
In 2010, Medicare squandered $48 BILLION on fraudulent or improper claims. To put that into perspective, in 2010, the nation's TEN largest health insurers COMBINED to net $12.7 billion in profits.

What a stat.

By the by, I'm pretty sure I'm the only liberal here who believes in a massive overhaul of our entitlement programs. Does that make me a bad Democrat? :winking0071:

sanfran22
04-15-2011, 02:50 PM
What a stat.

By the by, I'm pretty sure I'm the only liberal here who believes in a massive overhaul of our entitlement programs. Does that make me a bad Democrat? :winking0071:
No, that makes you a reasonable dem that I could actually have a debate with.:sign0020::party0053:

Star_Cards
04-15-2011, 03:04 PM
I don't think all liberals or democrats are automatically for every entitlement program. Some are good and some are not as well as taken advantage of by people who don't really need them. That's the main problem I have with the D and R labels. it pigeon holes people into vague stereotypes of ones views when in fact every persons views vary as a whole no matter what their affiliation or lack there of.

sanfran22
04-15-2011, 03:06 PM
I don't think all liberals or democrats are automatically for every entitlement program. Some are good and some are not as well as taken advantage of by people who don't really need them. That's the main problem I have with the D and R labels. it pigeon holes people into vague stereotypes of ones views when in fact every persons views vary as a whole no matter what their affiliation or lack there of.
Unless you're in washington and you vote down party lines regardless:sign0020:.

sanfran22
04-15-2011, 03:08 PM
I called this before Obama was even elected. He is a big gov't liberal and would drastically increase the size of gov't through high unemployment. Everyone is against tax increases and because of the nanny state he so badly wants and the money needed to fund the nanny state inflation would rear its ugly face and cause more people to become dependent on the gov't because of food gas price increases.

This is exactly where we are at this time EXACTLY. MSM is even reporting that the stock market rally has a 1 to 1 correlation with all the gov't bailouts so we know the gov't buying stocks trying to push inflation even higher. What does that mean, I HAVE NO FLIPPIN CLUE.

I think the inflation is fake. Don't see inflation I see deflation only food and gas going up nothing else besides unemployment. The gov't isnt going to raise taxes to pay for their nanny state and wont lay off all the govt employees either thats just smoke and mirrors. I think its do or die time for the economy as a whole. If what going on today in current events is really the new reality then the economy is in deep trouble its a total 100% complete stalemate.
I work in the textile industry and I can promise you food and gas are not the only things going up in price. I have seen 4 price increases in the last year with another on the way.....

INTIMADATOR2007
04-15-2011, 09:03 PM

Don't forget about the hundreds of millions going to teach men from africa how to properly wash there testicals to prevent aids .....yes its true ..

ReimerFan
04-15-2011, 09:38 PM
Just a comment from someone looking in from the outside. The Iraq war is getting very close to a Trillion dollars. Afghanistan I totally agree with and understand, but saving 1 trillion dollars would cover everything a few times over no?

INTIMADATOR2007
04-15-2011, 09:55 PM
Just a comment from someone looking in from the outside. The Iraq war is getting very close to a Trillion dollars. Afghanistan I totally agree with and understand, but saving 1 trillion dollars would cover everything a few times over no?
Although cutting a trillion dollars is alot,and would help. If we dont stop the Trillionssssss they are spending now were done as a country !

ReimerFan
04-15-2011, 10:08 PM
Fair enough. I have always been more to the right than the left but one thing I have notice of both our government is total lack of accountability and transparency. In my opinion a government should be treated like a publicly traded company, which in a sense they are. Every cent should be accounted for and criminal cases should be brought on those that break the law. Its not one party or another its EVERY party, they all have the same bad habits. The sad thing is that is so prevalent that it becomes commonplace and people are complacent.

I am by no means saying that "Government Ltd" needs to turn a profit, as ideally if there was a surplus you would pay debt and eventually reduce taxes but its accountability should be similar.

No back door deals - No special interests - Boot the lobbyists (seriously do we want our government owing these guys a solid for donations?) - Complete transparency - Most importantly.... Accountability.

duane1969
04-16-2011, 07:01 PM
What a stat.

That depends on who you ask. If my name was Nancy Pelosi then the answer would be yes.

Most people, Dem or Rep, dislike wasteful spending. However I have met a few liberals who felt that the wasteful excesses in the welfare system are a necessary evil to ensure that funding gets to those who need it.