PDA

View Full Version : The Fair Tax ..explained ..

INTIMADATOR2007
04-18-2011, 11:00 PM
http://www.fairtax.org/site/PageServer

Any question you may have about the Fair tax system can be answered in this video . The fair tax is the most researched bill ever presented to congress in its history with over $50 million in research , Call your congressman about the fair tax and tell them to get to inacting this tax system ..

sanfran22
04-19-2011, 11:23 AM
The system is so bad now why not give it a chance? Or maybe the Flat tax....but something needs to be done.

Star_Cards
04-19-2011, 01:25 PM
I'm on board 100%. Read the first book, but not the second.

My rep Dan Burton actually supports the bill. There just isn't support for it and lots of people have never heard of it. I think it comes down to politicians not wanting to change a system that gives them their money.

Star_Cards
04-19-2011, 01:32 PM
I'd think you'd have just about everyone on board just by the fact of telling them they'd get their entire paycheck (outside of state and local taxes) every payday. Not to mention not having to waste the time and effort and money people do on taxes every year.

mrveggieman
04-19-2011, 03:36 PM
I like the plan but it do see a lot pushback from business and gov't who like the status quo.

tutall
04-19-2011, 03:42 PM
The pushback will come from the large percentage of americans who do not pay income tax.. I wish all taxes were based on spending money as it would tax those with higher disposable incomes more.

Star_Cards
04-19-2011, 05:38 PM
it's said that businesses will also see a lower tax rate in production of their goods.

I'd think the government would like the fact that a sales tax would make people getting paid under the table as well as criminals ultimately pay taxes on their earnings. Sure they'd have to monitor retail companies to make sure they are collecting and paying the sales tax, but states do it already and the federal government wouldn't have to do that for individuals as much from what I understand.

tutall
04-28-2011, 11:36 PM
it's said that businesses will also see a lower tax rate in production of their goods.

I'd think the government would like the fact that a sales tax would make people getting paid under the table as well as criminals ultimately pay taxes on their earnings. Sure they'd have to monitor retail companies to make sure they are collecting and paying the sales tax, but states do it already and the federal government wouldn't have to do that for individuals as much from what I understand.

The reason it will never happen in my opinion is it gives the public knowledge of tax increases way too easy... Right now if they raise taxes a fraction it will just be a couple dollars out of a paycheck that no one really notices.... If they raise "sales tax" and suddenly you're pop at the gas station goes from 1.59 to 1.63 you notice that daily... If people actually see taxes going up in terms they can understand and point out I think it gives the politicians one less way to raise them up.

Star_Cards
04-29-2011, 09:24 AM
good point. I've always thought it will never get passed because washington doesn't want to change a thing about how they get our money.

duane1969
04-29-2011, 10:34 AM
The pushback will come from the large percentage of americans who do not pay income tax.. I wish all taxes were based on spending money as it would tax those with higher disposable incomes more.

+1

People who already pay taxes won't mind because it will mean they are paying their fair share. The ones who will fight it are the ones who curently pay nothing and suddenly will have to pay.

I like it for that one reason. Everybody contributes, nobody gets a free ride. Whether you earn $300 a week or $100,000 a week, you pay the same percentage.

Star_Cards
04-29-2011, 10:54 AM
+1

People who already pay taxes won't mind because it will mean they are paying their fair share. The ones who will fight it are the ones who curently pay nothing and suddenly will have to pay.

I like it for that one reason. Everybody contributes, nobody gets a free ride. Whether you earn $300 a week or $100,000 a week, you pay the same percentage.

true, but everyone with a social security number will get a monthly prebate depending on your dependents. This prebate is equivalent to the FairTax paid on essential goods and services, also known as the poverty level expenditures.

This would also make people want to become social security card holders if they aren't currently.

fair tax prebate structure (http://www.fairtax.org/site/PageServer?pagename=about_faq_answers)

mrveggieman
04-29-2011, 10:54 AM
Also the gov't will fight this plan tooth and nail because under the current plan they have complete access to all your financial business. But under the fair tax they will have some but not as much access or need to know your financial business.

Star_Cards
04-29-2011, 10:56 AM
Also the gov't will fight this plan tooth and nail because under the current plan they have complete access to all your financial business. But under the fair tax they will have some but not as much access or need to know your financial business.

I get that, but if they get what they need to run they shouldn't need to know our financial business. Plus they won't have to pay all of those people to track every citizen's finances. They can have them doing other things that would be more important.

mrveggieman
04-29-2011, 11:32 AM
I get that, but if they get what they need to run they shouldn't need to know our financial business. Plus they won't have to pay all of those people to track every citizen's finances. They can have them doing other things that would be more important.

That would be the ideal situation but this is the US gov't that you are dealing with. They are ultimate control freaks. Even if they had no reason to know your financial business they would still do it anyway because that's how they are and what they do.

Star_Cards
04-29-2011, 12:08 PM
true, they don't seem to ever give up any control one they get it, but if they are still getting their tax money they shouldn't care. They mainly care about what we make so they get their fair share. With the Fair Tax they still will be getting their share.

mrveggieman
04-29-2011, 12:31 PM
true, they don't seem to ever give up any control one they get it, but if they are still getting their tax money they shouldn't care. They mainly care about what we make so they get their fair share. With the Fair Tax they still will be getting their share.

I would love to see that day. Hopefully it will come during my lifetime.

habsheaven
04-29-2011, 04:15 PM
We have a federal sales tax here in Canada. I am all for a "consumption" tax. The only downside of such a tax as I see it is the increase in black market goods and services. It is a much more fair system though.