PDA

View Full Version : OMG! Common is at the White House! Everybody RUN!!!

pghin08
05-12-2011, 10:44 AM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/may/11/rapper-common-white-house-invite

This is so ridiculous. I know, I'm an Obama supporter, but to those who aren't, are you really enraged by this? And do these people have ANY idea who Common even is? One of the last things he's done was a guest appearance on a JONAS BROTHERS album (still not sure why he did that).

I get it though, he's a thug. Nevermind that he has zero criminal record, is the son of a former pro basketball player and a teacher (I think his mother has a doctorate), and is a staunch AIDS advocate. What a joke.

duane1969
05-12-2011, 11:15 AM
Perhaps it has something to do with lyrics talking about killing cops and calling for Pres. Bush to be killed???

These are all lyrics from his rap poem "A Letter to the Law"

Tell the law, my Uzi weighs a ton.
I walk like a warrior, from them I won't run.

Them boys chat-chat, on how I'm goin to pop guns.
I got the black strapped to me, make the cops run.

Burn a Bush cuz for peace he no push no but-ton.
Killing over oil and grease, no weapons of destruc-tion.

And perhaps the most telling line of all...

Black people in the area, urban one.
I hold up a peace sign, but I carry a gun.

Perhaps the Republicans need to have a guy who is calling for killing Obama and cops make an appearance at the RNC. Nobody would have a problem with the Republicans showing their support and respect for a person that publicly advocates killing Obama and cops, right?

Common is not a hero or a person to look up to, he is a well-spoken thug. Nothing more.

angel0430
05-12-2011, 11:31 AM
Why do people make big deals out of all this stuff? There are more importtant thing to be reporting and wasting our time in this is ridiculous. I do not care who they invite to the WH, they can be ither democrat or republican and I really don;t care.

pghin08
05-12-2011, 11:38 AM
Perhaps it has something to do with lyrics talking about killing cops and calling for Pres. Bush to be killed???

Perhaps the Republicans need to have a guy who is calling for killing Obama and cops make an appearance at the RNC. Nobody would have a problem with the Republicans showing their support and respect for a person that publicly advocates killing Obama and cops, right?

Common is not a hero or a person to look up to, he is a well-spoken thug. Nothing more.

And this is what he ALSO says in his song "Follow Me", in response to all of those lyrics.

"No time for that, but just things to be done,
Stay true to what I do"

See, this kind of stuff is the problem. People get all in a tizzy over stuff like this while we're spending our way into oblivion and fighting multiple wars. Yet Common is the biggest issue in our country? No. I simply refuse to accept that. Anyone who knows ANYTHING about Common knows that he wouldn't hurt a fly, and is truly a good human being.

duane1969
05-12-2011, 11:55 AM
For the record, I have very little problem with Common being at the WH. However, there are some people who take things at face value, and face value for Common comes across as being less than desirable. Expecting people to ignore the negative lyrics and symbolism and see you as a misunderstood nice guy is asking a bit much.

Common is regularly seen displaying the Black Power fist in the air thing, which makes him appear to be militant, then he raps about killing cops and Pres. Bush. Are people not supposed to have a problem with that?

Would it be OK for a guy who regularly proclaims "White Power!" and sings a song about killing Obama to visit the White House? Of course not.

You think the conservative reaction is over the top? Let a white supremacist who has stated that Obama needs to be killed visit the WH and you will see a reaction all right. The liberals will be rioting in the streets and burning down cities. The conservative reaction is minor.

mrveggieman
05-12-2011, 12:11 PM
The late great Easy E from N.W.A fame (for those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about google it) made a donation to a charity (I'm not sure who) but that charity was cool with the republican party and he was therefore invited to a dinner at the white house when the first Bush was in office. There was some controversy back then as well. Easy E stated that he wasn't a republican and said that he made a $1,00 donation and got $1,000,000 worth of free press. In the internet age imagine how much that would be to Common in today's dollars.

pghin08
05-12-2011, 12:12 PM
For the record, I have very little problem with Common being at the WH. However, there are some people who take things at face value, and face value for Common comes across as being less than desirable. Expecting people to ignore the negative lyrics and symbolism and see you as a misunderstood nice guy is asking a bit much.

Common is regularly seen displaying the Black Power fist in the air thing, which makes him appear to be militant, then he raps about killing cops and Pres. Bush. Are people not supposed to have a problem with that?

Would it be OK for a guy who regularly proclaims "White Power!" and sings a song about killing Obama to visit the White House? Of course not.

You think the conservative reaction is over the top? Let a white supremacist who has stated that Obama needs to be killed visit the WH and you will see a reaction all right. The liberals will be rioting in the streets and burning down cities. The conservative reaction is minor.

I'm a pretty big Common fan, and I've NEVER seen him do the whole Black Power fist thing. And even if that were the case, why not raise a stink if Tommie Smith and John Carlos (were he still alive) would come to the White House? Talk about black supremacists! Nevermind that they won the Arthur Ashe Courage Award and are widely admired.

Common is not a black supremacist. He's a rapper and a poet, and that's it. In Jon Stewart's diatribe on this whole issue (which, frankly, was funny), he brought up Johnny Cash. Cash wrote some violent lyrics in his day too:

"And I said: "My name is 'Sue!' How do you do!
Now your gonna die!!"

Well, I hit him hard right between the eyes
And he went down, but to my surprise,
He come up with a knife and cut off a piece of my ear.
But I busted a chair right across his teeth"

Among others. And I could make the argument that Cash promotes violence, and it's JUST as justifiable as saying that Common does. Nevermind the fact that Cash isn't promoting violence in that song at all.

Sorry, but if people actually think that Common is a wannabe cop-killer black supremacist, then they only see the world through their Sean Hannity 3-D glasses.

Edit: Sorry Duane, I'm not trying to attack you or anything. My real problem is with the media. Most media outlets are simply "distractors-in-chief". Taking up valuable news space and time with mindless dribble that does nothing but boil my blood because all I want to see on the cover of a newspaper is a story about someone's plan to fix the budget or how things are going in Libya/Afghanistan/Iraq or something of the sort. Yet I always seem to be greeted by crap like this showing up on my doorstep.

sanfran22
05-12-2011, 02:08 PM
Your side is the first side to cry fowl when they don't like something someone has said. They cry racism and bigotry at the drop of a hat. If someone on the right called for Obama's head or talked of cop killing, it would be on every news outlet. I personally don't care about this story, but I think it does shed some light that everyone with "Common" sense already knows...(Sorry,lol)
The list is a mile long so I think I'd just let it be.......

pghin08
05-12-2011, 02:48 PM
Your side is the first side to cry fowl when they don't like something someone has said. They cry racism and bigotry at the drop of a hat. If someone on the right called for Obama's head or talked of cop killing, it would be on every news outlet. I personally don't care about this story, but I think it does shed some light that everyone with "Common" sense already knows...(Sorry,lol)
The list is a mile long so I think I'd just let it be.......

Pretty sure that both ends of the spectrum do this. As exemplified by this "controversy" as a whole.

gatorboymike
05-12-2011, 03:19 PM
The biggest outrage is that Obama didn't invite Dr. Dre instead.

sanfran22
05-12-2011, 03:23 PM
Pretty sure that both ends of the spectrum do this. As exemplified by this "controversy" as a whole.
Which side cries racism,bigotry and unfairness at the drop of a hat? Why is this a "controversy"? Possibly they are trying to keep the left practicing what they preach? Like I said, I don't really have a problem with it. I do understand why some would though.
If a radical righty put out a book on how to kill Obama, the left would end the world. I didn't see that on the right when the book and movie about killing W came out.
I guess people on the right must have thicker skin? Dunno :sign0020:

sanfran22
05-12-2011, 03:25 PM
lol....not sure he talked about cop/president killin' though. I guess he may have in his NWA days....

gatorboymike
05-12-2011, 03:33 PM
Which side cries racism,bigotry and unfairness at the drop of a hat? Why is this a "controversy"? Possibly they are trying to keep the left practicing what they preach? Like I said, I don't really have a problem with it. I do understand why some would though.
If a radical righty put out a book on how to kill Obama, the left would end the world. I didn't see that on the right when the book and movie about killing W came out.
I guess people on the right must have thicker skin? Dunno :sign0020:

Which side is the one that's been spending billions and billions on the campaign to tell everyone Obama wasn't born in this country? Racism, bigotry and unfairness much?

Which side is the one that's trying to whip the crazies into a frenzy, telling them the liberals are going to come to their houses and steal all their guns and kill their grandmas, and that's why they all need to show up to these huge protests heavily armed?

Which side is the one that makes little "wink-wink" jokes about killing their opponents when they lose elections?

And no, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see some radical righty put out a book on how to kill Obama. I'd think "Yup, I knew we'd be seeing that pretty soon." I mean, we already know Obama gets five times more death threats than any other president in history. Heck, I'm sure hundreds or even thousands of radical righties have already written such books, they just don't have the guts to publish them. I bet a casual stroll through any tea party forum could dig up a dozen of 'em.

sanfran22
05-12-2011, 03:37 PM
Which side is the one that's been spending billions and billions on the campaign to tell everyone Obama wasn't born in this country? Racism, bigotry and unfairness much?-Prove that please. Sounds like it could be a legitimate concern originally...

Which side is the one that's trying to whip the crazies into a frenzy, telling them the liberals are going to come to their houses and steal all their guns and kill their grandmas, and that's why they all need to show up to these huge protests heavily armed?That's racist and bigoted? And where did they say to show up heavily armed?

Which side is the one that makes little "wink-wink" jokes about killing their opponents when they lose elections?Seriously?

And no, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see some radical righty put out a book on how to kill Obama. I'd think "Yup, I knew we'd be seeing that pretty soon." I mean, we already know Obama gets five times more death threats than any other president in history. Heck, I'm sure hundreds or even thousands of radical righties have already written such books, they just don't have the guts to publish them. I bet a casual stroll through any tea party forum could dig up a dozen of 'em.
Don't think that qualifies, but most of what you post doesn't. You can only use the Racism and Bigotry card so much before it stars to become invaild..thx though.

*censored*
05-12-2011, 03:50 PM
While it may be the left that cries racism, etc., the right are the ones who are quick to label anything and anyone that goes against them as being anti-America.

sanfran22
05-12-2011, 04:05 PM
While it may be the left that cries racism, etc., the right are the ones who are quick to label anything and anyone that goes against them as being anti-America.

The rights standard platform lines up with the constitution more the the lefts.
Therefore, considering you have the right to bear arms, there is no right to healthcare/social programs, free speech.. ect ect. I can see where that may be construed as anti-american...

duwal
05-12-2011, 07:10 PM

hahahahaa, wow, he's talking about a fictional character in that song :whistle: You must also be really upset at Eminem for all the things he did to make Stan do his awful acts of violence :sign0020:

NyFanCam01
05-12-2011, 07:12 PM
hahahahh this made me laugh so hard when i was watching it on tv.

guy crying around was a total Joke!! idiot

INTIMADATOR2007
05-12-2011, 10:10 PM
I am just astounded no one cares about the type of people Obama hangs around . Common is just another name to add to the list of people Obama has in his camp that have the attitude of thugs . If he was not the president would i care who he associates with no . However he is president of the United States and we expect the leaders of our country to hold themselves to a higher standard than regular joes . I agree with the others that have said if Bush had people in his camp with the ties and history Obama freinds have it would be an outcry also, if not worse and I would have a problem with it . Dont you people remember your parents tellin you ,you should not hang around with that crowd ,Its obvious Obamas mom never told him ...

INTIMADATOR2007
05-12-2011, 10:13 PM
The problem is the lefty's put there anti-american views out in the open for everyone to see. If people choose not to see it ..well it leads to what we have now in the white house ...

habsheaven
05-13-2011, 09:45 AM
I am just astounded no one cares about the type of people Obama hangs around . Common is just another name to add to the list of people Obama has in his camp that have the attitude of thugs . If he was not the president would i care who he associates with no . However he is president of the United States and we expect the leaders of our country to hold themselves to a higher standard than regular joes . I agree with the others that have said if Bush had people in his camp with the ties and history Obama freinds have it would be an outcry also, if not worse and I would have a problem with it . Dont you people remember your parents tellin you ,you should not hang around with that crowd ,Its obvious Obamas mom never told him ...

Why don't you do a little research about who Common really is instead of listening to the antics of the right wing crowd? Why don't read the lyrics to the ENTIRE song that you eagerly take excerpts from? Maybe you have been hanging out with Hannity's good friend Ted Nugent for too long. Hannity has no problem with his violent rhetoric directed towards the current President.

pghin08
05-13-2011, 01:30 PM

Bush and the bin Laden family are/were friends. Talk about a thug.

duane1969
05-13-2011, 01:37 PM
I'm a pretty big Common fan, and I've NEVER seen him do the whole Black Power fist thing. And even if that were the case, why not raise a stink if Tommie Smith and John Carlos (were he still alive) would come to the White House? Talk about black supremacists! Nevermind that they won the Arthur Ashe Courage Award and are widely admired.

Common is not a black supremacist. He's a rapper and a poet, and that's it. In Jon Stewart's diatribe on this whole issue (which, frankly, was funny), he brought up Johnny Cash. Cash wrote some violent lyrics in his day too:

"And I said: "My name is 'Sue!' How do you do!
Now your gonna die!!"

Well, I hit him hard right between the eyes
And he went down, but to my surprise,
He come up with a knife and cut off a piece of my ear.
But I busted a chair right across his teeth"

Among others. And I could make the argument that Cash promotes violence, and it's JUST as justifiable as saying that Common does. Nevermind the fact that Cash isn't promoting violence in that song at all.

Sorry, but if people actually think that Common is a wannabe cop-killer black supremacist, then they only see the world through their Sean Hannity 3-D glasses.

Edit: Sorry Duane, I'm not trying to attack you or anything. My real problem is with the media. Most media outlets are simply "distractors-in-chief". Taking up valuable news space and time with mindless dribble that does nothing but boil my blood because all I want to see on the cover of a newspaper is a story about someone's plan to fix the budget or how things are going in Libya/Afghanistan/Iraq or something of the sort. Yet I always seem to be greeted by crap like this showing up on my doorstep.

Cash singing about beating up someone does not parallel with Common rhyming about killing cops with an Uzi and burning the president. Fist fights happen every day, cop killing and burning the president does not.

I don't think Common is a cop killer or a racists or a Black Panther or anything like that. But if he does something that aligns him with that image then that is hos own fault.

I am at work right now and can't see videos but I will get you the link to the video I saw where he begins his performance by walking out on stage, puts his right first in the air and puts his other fist behind his back. I have seen the Black Power "salute" enough times to know it when I see it. Does he have on a black leather glove? No. But it looks like it to me.

I 2nd this.

Which side is the one that's been spending billions and billions on the campaign to tell everyone Obama wasn't born in this country? Racism, bigotry and unfairness much?

That was Donald Trump. He isn't on "our" side, he is on his side.

duane1969
05-13-2011, 01:41 PM
pghin08, watch at the start of this video. Looks like the black power salute to me, maybe not.

duwal, if you watch this video you will see that it is not a song, it is a poem. Not only is there is no fictional character, there are none at all. So I don't think I got anything confused. In fact, it seems that you did.

http://www.guavaleaf.com/video/7518/Common--A-Letter-To-The-Law-Def-Poetry-

sanfran22
05-13-2011, 01:47 PM
Bush and the bin Laden family are/were friends. Talk about a thug.
Osama or other family members....hmmmmm?:whistle:
I didn't see W bring in Osama for any sweet poetry readings.....
Also see that Common attended that awesome church in chicago that Obama attends/attended. I'm sure it hasn't affected him either.

pghin08
05-13-2011, 01:53 PM
Osama or other family members....hmmmmm?:whistle:
I didn't see W bring in Osama for any sweet poetry readings.....
Also see that Common attended that awesome church in chicago that Obama attends/attended. I'm sure it hasn't affected him either.

I'm just saying that this stuff gets ridiculous, and that's my point. I'm being sarcastic with the Bush thing. The Bush family is friends with the bin Laden family, but not Osama, so I thought it was ridiculous that people made that stretch back when Bush was President. 99% of the bin Laden family are not terrorists, so who really cares?

To imply that Common being at the White House is a problem is to believe that Common has an influence on how Obama runs the country. If people really think that's the case, then I need to get their addresses so that I can mail them some tin foil hats.

pghin08
05-13-2011, 02:01 PM
pghin08, watch at the start of this video. Looks like the black power salute to me, maybe not.

duwal, if you watch this video you will see that it is not a song, it is a poem. Not only is there is no fictional character, there are none at all. So I don't think I got anything confused. In fact, it seems that you did.

http://www.guavaleaf.com/video/7518/Common--A-Letter-To-The-Law-Def-Poetry-

Yeah, I guess so. I still don't see him doing that all the time, and frankly, it's kind of a dated concept. And none of this changes the fact that he's a decent human being who has never done anything wrong.

sanfran22
05-13-2011, 04:02 PM
I'm just saying that this stuff gets ridiculous, and that's my point. I'm being sarcastic with the Bush thing. The Bush family is friends with the bin Laden family, but not Osama, so I thought it was ridiculous that people made that stretch back when Bush was President. 99% of the bin Laden family are not terrorists, so who really cares?

To imply that Common being at the White House is a problem is to believe that Common has an influence on how Obama runs the country. If people really think that's the case, then I need to get their addresses so that I can mail them some tin foil hats.
I guess my point is the people he surrounds himself with and the people of his past will affect his decision making. It was just another tell about Obama IMO.
If W would have brought in David duke or Fred Phelps ect, I'd be curious of that as well.......

sanfran22
05-13-2011, 04:03 PM
Yeah, I guess so. I still don't see him doing that all the time, and frankly, it's kind of a dated concept. And none of this changes the fact that he's a decent human being who has never done anything wrong.
But it still goes back to what he believes deep inside. Would you have issue if someone who was a decent human being burned crosses on the weekend?

gatorboymike
05-13-2011, 06:04 PM
But it still goes back to what he believes deep inside. Would you have issue if someone who was a decent human being burned crosses on the weekend?

Some of those that work forces are the same that burn crosses.

sanfran22
05-13-2011, 07:49 PM
Some of those that work forces are the same that burn crosses.

Thanks tom ;)

duane1969
05-13-2011, 08:48 PM

I don't know him, he may be a great guy. All I am saying is this. Some of his lyrics and some of his actions indicate a less than stellar person. No matter how you slice it, nice decent people do not write lyrics about killing cops or burning the president.

My position remains the same. If this were a conservative president with Pantera performing "No Good (Attack the Radical)" or "5 Minutes Alone" the liberals would pick it apart, key in on previous implications that Pantera was/is racists and label the conservative a racists and/or radical.

pghin08
05-14-2011, 02:00 AM
I don't know him, he may be a great guy. All I am saying is this. Some of his lyrics and some of his actions indicate a less than stellar person. No matter how you slice it, nice decent people do not write lyrics about killing cops or burning the president.

My position remains the same. If this were a conservative president with Pantera performing "No Good (Attack the Radical)" or "5 Minutes Alone" the liberals would pick it apart, key in on previous implications that Pantera was/is racists and label the conservative a racists and/or radical.

We could play that game all the time though. "Yeah, well the liberals/conservatives would go NUTS if blah blah happened. Our reaction is tame." If W would have brought Common to the White House, I still wouldn't give a crap. Stuff like this on EITHER side is just propaganda aimed to create some kind of societal chasm. Republicans are struggling at this point, since Obama (predominately) quelled the birther stuff, and then oversaw the attack that killed bin Laden. So what happens? They've got to conjure up some controversy. It wasn't even Barack that invited Common, it was Michelle. And I'm not being partisan here, liberals are JUST as guilty of this stuff, and once the power swings back to the Reps, they'll continue to do it.

If I were a consistent viewer of Fox News (I occasionally watch Hannity and O'Reilly), I'd much rather see a critique of Obama's budget plan or how he's consistently dodged the immigration issue (he has), not that he invited a rapper/poet/actor/model/humanitarian to the White House.

Stupid.

duane1969
05-14-2011, 04:37 PM
If I were a consistent viewer of Fox News (I occasionally watch Hannity and O'Reilly), I'd much rather see a critique of Obama's budget plan or how he's consistently dodged the immigration issue (he has), not that he invited a rapper/poet/actor/model/humanitarian to the White House.

Stupid.

I am not a viewer of FoxNews. Honestly, I hate news channels. It is too depressing.

And I agree 110%. I would much rather see/hear talk about relevant issues.

Star_Cards
05-16-2011, 10:29 AM

Common a thug? lol. I'm not 100% sure of his record of his actions but to me he seems like one of the squeakier clean hip hop artists. To me a song writer is just like an actor. Just because Kevin Spacey portrays an evil murderer in a movie doesn't make him that. I get that there are some hip hop artists, or any celeb, that are bad guys that have been mixed up in some shady things, but to take some lyrics forma poem and equate that to Common being a thug is a bit of a stretch from what I know about him.

sanfran22
05-16-2011, 10:56 AM
Common a thug? lol. I'm not 100% sure of his record of his actions but to me he seems like one of the squeakier clean hip hop artists. To me a song writer is just like an actor. Just because Kevin Spacey portrays an evil murderer in a movie doesn't make him that. I get that there are some hip hop artists, or any celeb, that are bad guys that have been mixed up in some shady things, but to take some lyrics forma poem and equate that to Common being a thug is a bit of a stretch from what I know about him.
Acting and songwriting are totally different IMO. One is portraying something beliveably while the other is usually about life experiences....
You write a song because you feel it, or have been there. Not sure how you can equate the two.:confused0024:

Star_Cards
05-16-2011, 12:03 PM
Acting and songwriting are totally different IMO. One is portraying something beliveably while the other is usually about life experiences....
You write a song because you feel it, or have been there. Not sure how you can equate the two.:confused0024:

do you really think every song written was about a specific happening to that singer? What about artists that don't sing their own songs? I get that many song writers speak about their life happenings, but surely even those instances are embellished to a degree. I agree that there are differences between comparing musicians and actors, but I do find some similarities myself.

How about similarities with comedians? I guess my point is, no matter the medium, artist license is out there and utilized. Just because someone creates a piece of art it doesn't mean that the lyrics are 100% true or based in what that person is about completely. For someone to call Common or anyone a thug from one poem is hardly appropriate in my opinion.

I know most hip hop artists tend to get lumped into the group of the ones that actually have had criminal pasts, but not all do, no matter their lyrics. Do you really think Johnny Cash shot a man in Reno just to watch him die?

sanfran22
05-16-2011, 12:11 PM
do you really think every song written was about a specific happening to that singer? What about artists that don't sing their own songs? I get that many song writers speak about their life happenings, but surely even those instances are embellished to a degree. I agree that there are differences between comparing musicians and actors, but I do find some similarities myself.

How about similarities with comedians? I guess my point is, no matter the medium, artist license is out there and utilized. Just because someone creates a piece of art it doesn't mean that the lyrics are 100% true or based in what that person is about completely. For someone to call Common or anyone a thug from one poem is hardly appropriate in my opinion.

I know most hip hop artists tend to get lumped into the group of the ones that actually have had criminal pasts, but not all do, no matter their lyrics. Do you really think Johnny Cash shot a man in Reno just to watch him die?
What I'm saying is there is basically 0% chance an actor is in the same catagory as a musician. Embellish or not, most of the time its from their hearts and life experiences.

duane1969
05-16-2011, 12:47 PM

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and gets up on stage and tells me what a super-bad duck it is, then I consider it to be a duck.

Forget that it is Common. Pretend you don't know the person's name. A random person talks about killing cops with his Uzi and burning the president...is he a good or bad person? My guess is that you assume he is either a thug/punk or a nutjob.

Equating an actor following a script to a rapper using his right to freedom of expression is two entirely different things. The actor is told what to say and how to say it...Common's words are his own. Big diff.

duane1969
05-16-2011, 12:53 PM

Rap/hip-hop and run of the mill songs are quite different. It is commonly known and accepted that singers commonly do not write their own songs. In stark contrast, rappers quickly lose credibility if their music is not "real life" experiences.

How many rappers do you know of that grew up in little-town U.S.A? How many rappers are rhyming about running drugs and guns when in reality they grew up in a white picket fence neighborhood? Not many, and if they are found out then their career is over.

Again, big difference.

mrveggieman
05-16-2011, 01:00 PM
Rap/hip-hop and run of the mill songs are quite different. It is commonly known and accepted that singers commonly do not write their own songs. In stark contrast, rappers quickly lose credibility if their music is not "real life" experiences.

How many rappers do you know of that grew up in little-town U.S.A? How many rappers are rhyming about running drugs and guns when in reality they grew up in a white picket fence neighborhood? Not many, and if they are found out then their career is over.

Again, big difference.

You be surprised at how many rappers who claim they lived the "thug life" actually went to private schools.

Star_Cards
05-16-2011, 01:49 PM
If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and gets up on stage and tells me what a super-bad duck it is, then I consider it to be a duck.

Forget that it is Common. Pretend you don't know the person's name. A random person talks about killing cops with his Uzi and burning the president...is he a good or bad person? My guess is that you assume he is either a thug/punk or a nutjob.

Equating an actor following a script to a rapper using his right to freedom of expression is two entirely different things. The actor is told what to say and how to say it...Common's words are his own. Big diff.

I view a song or poem differently than I few some that talks about doing something in their own lives.

Maybe the actor v musician isn't the best comparison but not all actors work from scripts prepared by others. Some write and create their own characters that are pretty messed up... and for the ones that don't... what about the writer that created that script and character? Is he as bad as you say Common is? Does the writer that wrote Seven just as messed up as a rapper that writes violent disturbing lyrics in a song? I guess I just view music, or hip hop music, much differently than some.

Star_Cards
05-16-2011, 01:58 PM

Again, big difference.

I'll agree that there are quite a lot of truths to some hip hop lyrics as far as the artists actually doing these things, but to assume or say that most or all follow this stereotype is far from the truth.

TheTGB
05-16-2011, 03:35 PM
Arguing for the sake of arguing. Way to fall into the trap set forth by the media.

Common is a good guy. I let actions, not words which shouldn't be translated literally, as how I define someone.

If this is what you are in an uproar about our President doing, you have bigger issues.

Star_Cards
05-16-2011, 03:41 PM
Arguing for the sake of arguing. Way to fall into the trap set forth by the media.

Common is a good guy. I let actions, not words which shouldn't be translated literally, as how I define someone.

If this is what you are in an uproar about our President doing, you have bigger issues.

great point. pretty much a non story in the grand scheme of governmental issues.

duane1969
05-17-2011, 09:49 AM
I am not in an uproar at all, in fact I think it is kind of stupid. However, I am not naive enough to think that the Dems would not make just as big an issue if the tables were turned. If Republicans brought a guy into the WH that sang lyrics about killing cops and burning Obama the Dems would be losing their minds right now. The riots would be so massive that we would be bordering on anarchy. Every news headline in America would be declaring the Republicans to be radicals and racists.

If I am in an uproar it is over the double-standard that is applied.

The simple fact is this. Common was at the WH for one reason and one reason only. Obama's campagn is kicking off and he brought in some celebrities to associate himself with and try to look cool while he is around them (ala Bill Clinton).

mrveggieman
05-17-2011, 10:22 AM
I don't have a problem with Common. He has a more diverse fan base than pantera does if you know what I mean.

duane1969
05-17-2011, 10:24 AM
I don't have a problem with Common. He has a more diverse fan base than pantera does if you know what I mean.

Relevance?

mrveggieman
05-17-2011, 11:26 AM
Relevance?

I was hoping that ya'll could read inbetween the lines :sign0020: but here what I was trying to get at without stepping on anyone's toes. As we all know Common is a rapper and rappers tend to sell more music to a diverse fan base eg blacks, whites, latinos, asians, etc. However pantera and that type of music fans base is not as diverse as a rapper typically would be. I am not saying that no black people listen to pantera but the ones who do are few and far inbetween. The point I am trying to make is that Common being invited to the white house would not be as offensive as pantera because his lyrics may not be considered as racially insentisive as pantera's would be and the proof would be the fan base.

TheTGB
05-17-2011, 11:33 AM

The simple fact is this. Common was at the WH for one reason and one reason only. Obama's campagn is kicking off and he brought in some celebrities to associate himself with and try to look cool while he is around them (ala Bill Clinton).

Republicans v. Democrats and Democrats v. Republicans in itself is a double standard. If you are in an uproar over a double standard then I expect you to be in an uproar over every issue that each side brings up about the other side. Every single time something possibly controversial happens it's the same response. Were you expecting something else?

And yeah, it's probably a PR thing as with any celebrity visiting the White House. Just part of a careful plan to get re-elected.

Star_Cards
05-17-2011, 12:44 PM
I am not in an uproar at all, in fact I think it is kind of stupid. However, I am not naive enough to think that the Dems would not make just as big an issue if the tables were turned. If Republicans brought a guy into the WH that sang lyrics about killing cops and burning Obama the Dems would be losing their minds right now. The riots would be so massive that we would be bordering on anarchy. Every news headline in America would be declaring the Republicans to be radicals and racists.

just to be clear, my statement of this being a non story was not directed at this post, but the media coverage. And you are right. if a Rep president had something similar to this the Dems would be all over it. I think I would have the same point of view in that situation too. I don't know about riots, but you can bet on a sweet hypocrisy to the current stance. That's one of the most annoying parts of the political process to me.