PDA

View Full Version : Florida to drug test welfare recipients

mikesilvia
06-01-2011, 11:21 AM
Florida is leading the way.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/06/01/florida.welfare.drug.testing/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

The way I see it is if our military can be forced to perform a urinalysis on demand, so should anyone getting any for of government money. I'd also like to see people do community service, but that is a side subject.

Thoughts?

angel0430
06-01-2011, 11:28 AM
I am in the military and I think this is a great idea. Everyone getting some king of goverment money should be taking drug test. And they should also have some random ones while they are getting the money and not just for one time. I know a lot of people are going to complain about it but they are getting tax payers money. The least they can do is get the test.

mrveggieman
06-01-2011, 11:28 AM
I totally agree. I also think that able bodied welfare reciepents should be required to take classes as well so when their benefits expire they can have some type of trade or degree.

theonedru
06-01-2011, 12:42 PM
Go beyond a basic drug test. A welfare recipient should not be indulging in luxuries such as drugs, alcohol, smoking nor should they have such luxuries in the house as cable tv, their welfare cards should have picture id on them to prevent the selling of the cards, no cash advances should come from the cards. And set a term limit as to how long you can be on it, if you cant find employment in say 2 years then too bad you can starve because you arent trying hard enough.

Star_Cards
06-01-2011, 01:13 PM
I think the drug testing in just a first step. It goes much further than drug use as there are plenty of legal things that welfare recipients shouldn't be purchasing with their welfare... and dru states above.

angel0430
06-01-2011, 02:53 PM
Eventually there are going to be more changes. They just don't want to dump all of them at the same time. But finally someonehas the guts to make some changes to this programs. Hopefully they are going to approve the changes,

pghin08
06-01-2011, 03:49 PM
Let me say two things.

1. I agree with this, wholeheartedly. As Angel0430 said. Anyone who gets government money should be subject to a drug test.

2. At SOME POINT down the road, were it to continue this way, conservatives are going to run into some kind of existential dilemma. The people who are championing causes like this are predominately conservative. But you can't go making all of these stipulations, and then say that you're the party of small government. If you don't want welfare recipients to drink, smoke, etc., then policing that brings us much closer to a "big brother" situation.

Like I said, I'm in favor of it. I like knowing that my tax dollars are going to people who are down on their luck and are working hard to piece their lives back together. But to the Republicans, tread lightly on this subject.

mrveggieman
06-01-2011, 04:13 PM
Let me say two things.

1. I agree with this, wholeheartedly. As Angel0430 said. Anyone who gets government money should be subject to a drug test.

2. At SOME POINT down the road, were it to continue this way, conservatives are going to run into some kind of existential dilemma. The people who are championing causes like this are predominately conservative. But you can't go making all of these stipulations, and then say that you're the party of small government. If you don't want welfare recipients to drink, smoke, etc., then policing that brings us much closer to a "big brother" situation.

Like I said, I'm in favor of it. I like knowing that my tax dollars are going to people who are down on their luck and are working hard to piece their lives back together. But to the Republicans, tread lightly on this subject.

Yeah the same conservatives who claim to want to reduce spending and want a smaller gov't by cutting education and social programs don't mind limitless military spending. The devil does indeed speak with a split tounge.

theonedru
06-01-2011, 06:25 PM
Let me say two things.

It is not about any big brother scenario its simple fact, drugs, drinking, smoking and such are LUXURIES and as such are NON ESSENTIAL and as such they do not need nor deserve them esp when it come from my pocket. its that simple. I work hard for what I have (ok not really but I do work for my $) I have entitlement to enjoy it any way I like within the confines of what law allows. The people who leech of off society ( I am not talking of those who really need or use it) should have enough for the basics in life and nothing much more.

And Why people have to spew this rep or dem junk is beyond me, open your eyes and realize all parties are akin to the same things, there is no difference between the two except in name as this crap has been happening under both parties and neither has tried to stop it. Maybe for every $ wasted it should come out of a politicians pocket...

duane1969
06-01-2011, 09:43 PM
I see it like this. In the long-term respect drug testing will ultimately save money. It is simple math. If a welfare recipient receives an average of $1000 a month in aid then a drug test that cost a few hundred dollars will be more than paid for the first month that they are off of the program.

Even if only 1 of every 20 people tested is positive then all of the test would be paid for by the one person being off of welfare in just a few months.

Long-term there is no downside. According to usgovernmentspending.com the Fed spends $700 billion a year on welfare, so if drug testing reduces the number of people on welfare by just 10% then it saves $70 billion per year.

mikesilvia
06-02-2011, 08:22 AM
Yeah the same conservatives who claim to want to reduce spending and want a smaller gov't by cutting education and social programs don't mind limitless military spending. The devil does indeed speak with a split tounge.
'
I think you are mixing conservatives in with Republicans. There are plenty of Republicans that are wasteful spenders and there are plenty of conservative Democrats.

I would say that the conservatives from both parties should become Libertarians and sweep the next elections. Abe Lincoln and others formed the Republican party and became a force. I think it is time for conservatives to join together and form a legit, conservative party.

The main reason I refuse to register with the Republican party is because 1) I don't blindly give my loyalty to anyone and 2) there are plenty of Republicans that are wasteful.

Star_Cards
06-02-2011, 09:50 AM
Let me say two things.

As far as the "Big Brother" situation... If someone has a dependent person living on their dime, does that person not have a right to "big brother" that person that they are supporting? I don't see the welfare programs much different than a parent/older offspring relationship. If parent has an older child living at home and supporting him to a large percentage that parent is probably going to call some shots for the child if he is under their roof or if they are giving him money to live off of. People being supported should typically expect losing come controls when it comes to spending that money given to them by their benefactor. To me it's a small price to pay, and if people want those luxuries they aren't allowed to purchase while on government assistance then that should be motivation to go out and earn for themselves so they can choose what to spend their money on.

gatorboymike
06-03-2011, 01:16 AM
Totally on board with this. I always see them at the grocery store buying luxury foods with Uncle Sam's money, trailing a cloud of pot smoke so thick you need a vacuum cleaner to get rid of it.

Buyinggameused
06-03-2011, 11:16 AM
This is awesome news. I HOPE other states follow...

sanfran22
06-03-2011, 11:30 AM
'
I think you are mixing conservatives in with Republicans. There are plenty of Republicans that are wasteful spenders and there are plenty of conservative Democrats.

I would say that the conservatives from both parties should become Libertarians and sweep the next elections. Abe Lincoln and others formed the Republican party and became a force. I think it is time for conservatives to join together and form a legit, conservative party.

The main reason I refuse to register with the Republican party is because 1) I don't blindly give my loyalty to anyone and 2) there are plenty of Republicans that are wasteful.
I'm with you. I'd love a true conservative party. Aside from a few in the Republican party, there aren't many....

Rybowski
06-03-2011, 04:56 PM
This is great news that I hope other States come to follow. If Uncle Sam is giving you money, then you should be limited to a certain amount of items. I have seen it first hand in Wal-Mart with families that have kids on cell phones and Air Jordan's on, and I wish PA would adopt this policy asap.

pantherfan82
06-08-2011, 08:15 PM
i think there should be drug test but only problem is most drugs are out of your system so fast that they wont show up. only people they will catch is marijuana users. they wont catch crack, heroin, etc with standard test.

pantherfan82
06-08-2011, 08:17 PM
and drug test can very easily be beat these days. i used to drug test kids and had to deal with people cheating test all the time.