PDA

View Full Version : Health spending may double to £230 billion a year in UK

mikesilvia
06-02-2011, 08:44 AM
Interesting story (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/8551392/Health-Secretary-Andrew-Lansley-funding-crisis-threatens-the-NHS.html).

"NHS are under threat as never before from a “financial crisis” that will see annual health spending double to £230 billion a year without urgent reform. "

As a military guy, I saw abuses first hand when health care is "free." Obviously, it is not FREE for the tax payer. People go to the emergency room for minor issues like stubbing their toe, headaches, etc. When anything is FREE (welfare, food stamps, health care) it is human nature to take us much as possible. For example, people amlost always over-eat at a buffet because they want to maximize what they spend. I'd estimate that people eat twice to three times as much at buffets than off the menu.

Politicians get this, but it is beneficial to politicians to give free stuff away because it gets them elected.

Star_Cards
06-02-2011, 09:41 AM
I think people milking the system or going in when they don't need to would be the biggest issue with public healthcare. It's completely idiotic that people call it "free". Just because you don't have to pay for it at the time you get it doesn't mean that it's not paid for by "you" if of course you pay taxes. Seems like the perfect system would be where there's still some sort of co-pay at the time you visit a doctor. Maybe that would keep people from going in when it's not really needed.

It's similar to my health plan... The people that go to the doctor for every little thing end the long run are the cause of everyone else having to pay more. I get that's how the whole insurance thing works, but still gets annoying as a person that's relatively healthy.

Hairylemon
06-08-2011, 07:12 AM
The NHS is not truely a free system, in the UK we pay a tax called National Insurance this is automatically taken from our wages and is supposed to go towards our healthcare system. Also we do have to pay for our drugs we get from our GP via a prescription. The current government (Conservative) is desperate to dismantle the NHS so it's rich buddies can reap the rewards. Conservative governments have a history of trying to destroy anything which is beneficial to the working man. Thatchers destruction of UK manufacturing being a prime example back in the
80's.

habsheaven
06-08-2011, 08:09 AM
I think people milking the system or going in when they don't need to would be the biggest issue with public healthcare. It's completely idiotic that people call it "free". Just because you don't have to pay for it at the time you get it doesn't mean that it's not paid for by "you" if of course you pay taxes. Seems like the perfect system would be where there's still some sort of co-pay at the time you visit a doctor. Maybe that would keep people from going in when it's not really needed.

It's similar to my health plan... The people that go to the doctor for every little thing end the long run are the cause of everyone else having to pay more. I get that's how the whole insurance thing works, but still gets annoying as a person that's relatively healthy.

I think you have to weigh the benefits of early intervention and prevention a "free" system provides with the abuses that it can also foster.

Star_Cards
06-08-2011, 09:31 AM
I think you have to weigh the benefits of early intervention and prevention a "free" system provides with the abuses that it can also foster.

very true.