PDA

View Full Version : George Allen sticks by his church

mrveggieman
06-06-2011, 01:02 PM
http://www.islamophobiatoday.com/2011/06/03/allen-sticks-with-church-that-allows-muslims-to-pray/

Star_Cards
06-06-2011, 01:40 PM
the fact that people would leave a church over allowing another religion some space there for a short period of time to worship is classically ironic to me. So much for the kindness of religion. lol

gatorboymike
06-07-2011, 03:34 AM
The church didn't have to let the Muslims pray there. It was a kind gesture on their part, though it does seem to go against Christian doctrine. It's like if a McDonalds right across the street from a Burger King burned down, and the Burger King offered to sell McDonalds food until the McDonalds could be rebuilt. So even though I will happily condemn those Christians who left the church for their chauvinism and hate, I do understand where they're coming from. Do I support Allen's decision? I dunno. But it does seem like the better move to make, from the standpoint of a public figure.

And lest I be accused of giving Christians a hard time that I wouldn't give other religions, I'd like to point out two things. First, that if the shoe was on the other foot, I'd bet every card I own that the Muslims wouldn't do the same kindness for the Christians. And second, that "Islamophobia" is a nonsense word, and that using it is basically the religion equivalent of playing the race card.

mrveggieman
06-07-2011, 08:23 AM
The church didn't have to let the Muslims pray there. It was a kind gesture on their part, though it does seem to go against Christian doctrine. It's like if a McDonalds right across the street from a Burger King burned down, and the Burger King offered to sell McDonalds food until the McDonalds could be rebuilt. So even though I will happily condemn those Christians who left the church for their chauvinism and hate, I do understand where they're coming from. Do I support Allen's decision? I dunno. But it does seem like the better move to make, from the standpoint of a public figure.

And lest I be accused of giving Christians a hard time that I wouldn't give other religions, I'd like to point out two things. First, that if the shoe was on the other foot, I'd bet every card I own that the Muslims wouldn't do the same kindness for the Christians. And second, that "Islamophobia" is a nonsense word, and that using it is basically the religion equivalent of playing the race card.

I would have to disagree. Of all the muslims that I know if the shoe was on the other foot they would return the favor. There are a lot of good christians just like there are a lot of good muslims out there. Unfortunately the few bad ones give all of the good ones a black eye.

Star_Cards
06-07-2011, 12:04 PM
it would be interesting to see if the roles of this were flipped around. I'd probably lean towards gator being correct that just as many muslims would probably be upset by it... although from the article is sounds like most of the church goers there don't have issue.