PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 pink slip cities: U.S. capitols with highest rate of unemployment

OnePimpTiger
06-11-2011, 10:35 AM
Top 10 pink slip cities: Report reveals U.S. capitols with highest rate of unemployment (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1394527/Top-10-pink-slip-cities-Report-reveals-U-S-capitols-highest-rate-unemployment.html)

After just 54,000 new workers were added to the U.S. workforce in May, a report has revealed the top 10 cities with the most pink slips.

Forbes compiled the list on the back of a Bureau of Labor report issued last week that stated unemployment had inched up to 9.1 per cent.

TOP 10 PINK SLIP CITIES

Los Angeles, California, 17,393 workers
New York, New York, 14,312
Chicago, Illinois, 7,835
San Francisco, California, 5,117
Riverside, California, 4,852
San Diego, California, 4,382
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 2,747
Seattle, Washington, 2,601
Sacramento, California, 2,467
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 2,205

Hrmmm...notice any trends?

sanfran22
06-11-2011, 06:14 PM
Lol, yep that trend sucks. Also read that Texas has around 40% of all the jobs created as well.....Hmmmmmm.

INTIMADATOR2007
06-11-2011, 09:34 PM
Looks like the ol' Democrat run states are leakin' a little fuel while the Republican states are doing better in all areas ....Hmmmm

duane1969
06-12-2011, 12:09 PM
I think logic dictates that the largest cities will have the largest unemployment rates. Being surprised that these cities have the most layoffs is like being surprised that they have the most auto sales.

It is basic math. If unemployment is 9% then it just makes sense that the largest cities will have the largest group of unemployed people.

andrewhoya
06-12-2011, 12:48 PM
I think logic dictates that the largest cities will have the largest unemployment rates. Being surprised that these cities have the most layoffs is like being surprised that they have the most auto sales.

It is basic math. If unemployment is 9% then it just makes sense that the largest cities will have the largest group of unemployed people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population

Not necessarily.

OnePimpTiger
06-12-2011, 02:02 PM

True enough, more people will almost always equal more jobs lost. But stopping there would not take all the facts into account.

Notice which state has 6 in the top 20 for population but not 1 in the top 10 for layoffs? Texas

Notice which state has 4 in the top 20 for population, but 5 in the top 10 for layoffs? California

Notice which cities in the top 10 for population aren't in the top 10 for layoffs? 4 of the 5 are in red states.

If the trend isn't clear, it's just because you're not looking.

andrewhoya
06-12-2011, 02:24 PM
True enough, more people will almost always equal more jobs lost. But stopping there would not take all the facts into account.

Notice which state has 6 in the top 20 for population but not 1 in the top 10 for layoffs? Texas

Notice which state has 4 in the top 20 for population, but 5 in the top 10 for layoffs? California

Notice which cities in the top 10 for population aren't in the top 10 for layoffs? 4 of the 5 are in red states.

If the trend isn't clear, it's just because you're not looking.

I wasn't talking about "the trend"; I was talking about this statement:

it just makes sense that the largest cities will have the largest group of unemployed people.

mrveggieman
06-12-2011, 06:59 PM
Whoa now GOP fan boys I hate to rain on your parade (actually I don't) but unemployment stats are not that reliable because they only count people who are actually on unemployment insurance. They don't take into consideration people who have exhausted their unemployment or people who were denied unemployment for whatever reason. Also last time I checked republican voters are not exempt for being laid off. So instead of riding on your high horses let's worry how we our elected polticians on both sides can get us out of the recession instead playing party lines.

sanfran22
06-12-2011, 08:53 PM
Whoa now GOP fan boys I hate to rain on your parade (actually I don't) but unemployment stats are not that reliable because they only count people who are actually on unemployment insurance. They don't take into consideration people who have exhausted their unemployment or people who were denied unemployment for whatever reason. Also last time I checked republican voters are not exempt for being laid off. So instead of riding on your high horses let's worry how we our elected polticians on both sides can get us out of the recession instead playing party lines.
Maybe we should run this country like Texas and not California..... Just sayin'

OnePimpTiger
06-12-2011, 11:16 PM
Whoa now GOP fan boys I hate to rain on your parade (actually I don't) but unemployment stats are not that reliable because they only count people who are actually on unemployment insurance. They don't take into consideration people who have exhausted their unemployment or people who were denied unemployment for whatever reason.

Ok...do you have any facts to disprove our opinion? If so, feel free to post them for consideration. When one side of a debate has facts to back it up, it usually takes facts to refute it...not just "those numbers may not be correct."

And I have to say, I love the irony. Calling the people with facts to back up their argument "fanboys," while at the same time bringing nothing to the debate beyond "You're wrong, my side is obviously right"...well done.

Also last time I checked republican voters are not exempt for being laid off.

??? Obviously. I'm sure there are plenty of Republican voters being laid off due to liberal policies...

So instead of riding on your high horses let's worry how we our elected polticians on both sides can get us out of the recession instead playing party lines.

That's exactly what we're doing. How to get us out of the recession? Run the country more like Texas and less like California. That was the implication being made...next time I'll be more blunt.

mrveggieman
06-13-2011, 08:48 AM
Ok...do you have any facts to disprove our opinion? If so, feel free to post them for consideration. When one side of a debate has facts to back it up, it usually takes facts to refute it...not just "those numbers may not be correct."

And I have to say, I love the irony. Calling the people with facts to back up their argument "fanboys," while at the same time bringing nothing to the debate beyond "You're wrong, my side is obviously right"...well done.

??? Obviously. I'm sure there are plenty of Republican voters being laid off due to liberal policies...

That's exactly what we're doing. How to get us out of the recession? Run the country more like Texas and less like California. That was the implication being made...next time I'll be more blunt.

The last time I checked the govenor of California was a republican.

sanfran22
06-13-2011, 10:01 AM
The last time I checked the govenor of California was a republican.
Actually He's a Dem. Jerry Brown...must not keep on on current info. Do you think Cali got the way it is because of republican or conservative principals?

mrveggieman
06-13-2011, 11:06 AM
You are right sir I stand corrected. We are going to blame Cali's rapid unemployment on a governor who has only been in office for less than 6 months and ignore they guy who was in charge for the...

sanfran22
06-13-2011, 11:16 AM
Actually, you are wrong again. Brown was governor before and he helped ruin California his first time. Cali's issues are not new.Gotta do some research before you go spouting off as usual...thx!...

mrveggieman
06-13-2011, 11:23 AM
Actually, you are wrong again. Brown was governor before and he helped ruin California his first time. Cali's issues are not new.Gotta do some research before you go spouting off as usual...thx!
http://www.wnd.com/index.php?pageId=163253

So everything was wonderful and perfect in Arnold's term? Wake up and smell reality buddy.

sanfran22
06-13-2011, 11:25 AM
So everything was wonderful and perfect in Arnold's term? Wake up and smell reality buddy.
WHere did I say that?

mrveggieman
06-13-2011, 11:27 AM
Also check out some facts that your beloved republicans have put out there.

http://www.republicansforobama.org/node/3901

sanfran22
06-13-2011, 11:33 AM
Also check out some facts that your beloved republicans have put out there.

http://www.republicansforobama.org/node/3901
Lol is all that needs to be said about that site. Please try again, you are failing badly.

mrveggieman
06-13-2011, 11:33 AM
WHere did I say that?

I have never heard you say one bad word about any republican but if a dem sneezes wrong you are ready to execute them. People like you play along party lines and couldn't care less about what's in the best intrest of the country as long as you can attempt to show that a democrat is wrong and you would misquote and misinterpret facts to make your beloved GOP look good. If Jesus were to return to earth, put his arms around Obama and announce "This is my beloved son in whom I am well pleased," you would demand that Jesus resign as Son of God.

sanfran22
06-13-2011, 11:37 AM
I have never heard you say one bad word about any republican but if a dem sneezes wrong you are ready to execute them. People like you play along party lines and couldn't care less about what's in the best intrest of the country as long as you can attempt to show that a democrat is wrong and you would misquote and misinterpret facts to make your beloved GOP look good. If Jesus were to return to earth, put his arms around Obama and announce "This is my beloved son in whom I am well pleased," you would demand that Jesus resign as Son of God.
You obviously don't read well then. I will state once more for the record I am a conservative,not a republican. If a conservative dem came along I'd be ok for them. Problem is they don't really exist.
I do know one thing, Cali was going pretty good under Reagan, how'd it go when Jerry Brown came to town? That's your little research project for the day.

mrveggieman
06-13-2011, 11:39 AM
You obviously don't read well then. I do know one thing, Cali was going pretty good under Reagan, how'd it go when Jerry Brown came to town? That's your little research project for the day.

Sanfran please join the rest of the world in 2011 and stop living in the past. We have evolved as a society.

sanfran22
06-13-2011, 12:00 PM
Sanfran please join the rest of the world in 2011 and stop living in the past. We have evoled as a society.
At the current rate, I'd rather live in the past.

armyatc22
06-13-2011, 12:03 PM
I guess I won't go west looking for a job lol

Star_Cards
06-13-2011, 12:53 PM
I wonder if high cost of living has anything to do with unemployment being high?

mrveggieman
06-14-2011, 09:46 AM
At the current rate, I'd rather live in the past.

That tells us a lot about your way of thinking.

sanfran22
06-14-2011, 10:19 AM
That tells us a lot about your way of thinking.
I hope it does.:party0048:

Danols1
06-14-2011, 10:21 AM
I concur larger states have more but what about pa lol we are not large but wait still have 2 cities top 10 lol

duwal
06-14-2011, 03:04 PM
I love how people that don't live in California seem to have this absurd vision that things are going badly in the state

OnePimpTiger
06-14-2011, 10:40 PM
I love how people that don't live in California seem to have this absurd vision that things are going badly in the state

Serious?

California's Debt: Now Riskier Than Kazakhstan's - And A Bigger Worry Than Greece? (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/01/californias-debt-now-risk_n_481058.html)

California Ranked Worst for Business (http://fellowshipofminds.wordpress.com/2011/05/08/california-ranked-worst-state-for-business/)

California Ranked Second Worst-Run State in the Nation (http://www.sandiego6.com/news/local/story/California-Ranked-Second-Worst-Run-State-in-the/qG3njxm6bEKwy9c3KLm4KA.cspx)

California's credit rating cut to lowest of all 50 states (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/money_co/2009/02/california-cred.html)

California's Debt Rating Worse Than Greece (http://nation.foxnews.com/business/2010/04/07/californias-debt-rating-worse-greece)

CAs Bond Rating Equals F-Minus Grade (http://www.calwatchdog.com/2011/04/21/ca%E2%80%99s-bond-rating-equals-f-minus-grade/)

Debt takes a huge chunk out of California's beleaguered budget...could make up a quarter of the deficit (http://articles.latimes.com/2011/feb/26/local/la-me-state-debt-20110226)

Need I go on?