PDA

View Full Version : Obama releasing 30M barrels from US oil reserve to offset high gas prices

OnePimpTiger
06-23-2011, 10:55 PM
Obama releasing 30M barrels from US oil reserve to offset Mideast turmoil, high gas prices (http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/obama-ready-to-release-oil-from-petroleum-reserve-to-offset-mideast-turmoil-high-energy-use/2011/06/23/AGvFEJhH_story.html)

Wary of a new surge in gas prices, the Obama administration said Thursday it is selling off 30 million barrels of oil from the country’s emergency reserves as part of a broader international response to lost oil supplies caused by turmoil in the Middle East and North Africa, particularly Libya.

The release from the U.S. Strategic Petroleum Reserve will be the largest ever, amounting to half of a 60 million-barrel international infusion of oil planned for the world market over the next month.

Even so, the 30 million barrels to be sold by the United States represents less than two days’ worth of domestic oil consumption and about three days of oil imports...

...The move comes as retail gasoline prices dropped for the 20th consecutive day, down a penny from Wednesday, to $3.61 per gallon, according to the AAA Daily Fuel Gauge Report. That’s about 21 cents lower than a month ago.

The timing brought criticism from business groups and Republican lawmakers, who accused President Barack Obama of playing politics with the country’s oil reserves, which are intended to address emergencies.

“The Strategic Petroleum Reserve is an emergency lifeline to protect our nation against critical shortages in our oil supply and shouldn’t be used as a Strategic Political Reserve to boost the popularity of elected officials,” said Charles Drevna, president of the National Petrochemical & Refiners Association...

...Even some Democrats were puzzled by the move.

“This decision would have been more timely if made when the disruption in Libyan oil supplies first occurred” in February, said Sen. Jeff Bingaman, D-N.M., chairman of the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee. Still, Bingaman said he hopes the move helps deflate “speculative froth in the markets” and drives prices down.

Don't they see? Dropping ratings is an emergency for the Eternal Campaigner.

Star_Cards
06-24-2011, 10:25 AM
doesn't seem like that would effect things much. It does make me wonder what type of profit the government stands to earn if any. I wonder how much they paid for the reserves on average.

ensbergcollector
06-24-2011, 11:11 AM
interesting choice since gas prices have done nothing but go down for the last month. Seems strange timing

pghin08
06-24-2011, 01:13 PM
If he would do this in summer of 2012, then yeah, it's a campaign tool. Otherwise, meh.

andrewhoya
06-24-2011, 02:26 PM
interesting choice since gas prices have done nothing but go down for the last month. Seems strange timing

+1, then again, remember who is in office...

theonedru
06-24-2011, 05:47 PM
I couldn't see even 300M barrels making a difference let alone 30M

tutall
06-24-2011, 07:40 PM
I couldn't see even 300M barrels making a difference let alone 30M

I think it is more about the perception... This may scare a few of the futures buyers out of their oil and loosen prices a little bit

texansrangerfan73
06-24-2011, 07:55 PM

Same choice indeed & IMO not need at the moment either!

If he would do this in summer of 2012, then yeah, it's a campaign tool. Otherwise, meh.

I don't think it's a campaign tool yet but he did a couple things to get my vote leaned his way in 2012.
1) Taking out Bin Laden
2) Annoucing troop withdrawal in Afghanistan &
3) Recognizing that a strong manufacturing sector is key to a strong economy!!

Not here to argue politics as I've jumped the fence a few times since turning 18 many moons ago but he is doing alright right now if you ask me.

OnePimpTiger
06-24-2011, 10:16 PM
Same choice indeed & IMO not need at the moment either!

I don't think it's a campaign tool yet but he did a couple things to get my vote leaned his way in 2012.
1) Taking out Bin Laden
2) Annoucing troop withdrawal in Afghanistan &
3) Recognizing that a strong manufacturing sector is key to a strong economy!!

Not here to argue politics as I've jumped the fence a few times since turning 18 many moons ago but he is doing alright right now if you ask me.

Let me guess...you're a union member?

texansrangerfan73
06-24-2011, 11:37 PM
Let me guess...you're a union member?
Perhaps but 1 of the top 3! Let me guess you oppose unions?

OnePimpTiger
06-25-2011, 10:27 AM
Perhaps but 1 of the top 3! Let me guess you oppose unions?

Yeah, that was an easy spot...pro-union people are the only ones who feel Obama has done anything good for business of any kind, especially the union members themselves who make out like bandits.

texansrangerfan73
06-25-2011, 11:56 AM
Yeah, that was an easy spot...pro-union people are the only ones who feel Obama has done anything good for business of any kind, especially the union members themselves who make out like bandits.

Believe me I'm not for the white collar executives. My family & I have worked for UAW until the downfall of 2008. There is only 3 that matter to me, UAW, USWA or USW whichever you prefer to say & the Teamsters who if not for them you wouldn't be wearing clothes or eating food. But I'm not here for that BS just football &/or baseball trading & chat. BTW America was build on the backs of factory workers & the blue collars!!

tutall
06-25-2011, 01:54 PM
Believe me I'm not for the white collar executives. My family & I have worked for UAW until the downfall of 2008. There is only 3 that matter to me, UAW, USWA or USW whichever you prefer to say & the Teamsters who if not for them you wouldn't be wearing clothes or eating food. But I'm not here for that BS just football &/or baseball trading & chat. BTW America was build on the backs of factory workers & the blue collars!!

Even though this has NOTHING to do with oil prices.... I find the post a bit odd... The UAW is responsible for the downfall of the american automobile. The UAW hasmade many american vehicles unaffordable and the quality to go down. I buy American made cars still and will continue too in the future because honestly I live less than 2 miles from one of the most productive Chevy plants in America and have a ton of friends that would give me crap if i bought something else but to say the UAW is a great organization or anything like that is a load of crap. You are not for the executives? Why? They gave you a job. Someone at one time or another who was a white collar worker risked his money to put you into the workforce. Im not saying all unions are a bad thing... For instance I can see the purpose of the public unions of firefighters and police officers so when a mayor change happens he doesnt clean house and put his cronies in the spot. Most businesses however would be much more healthy and productive without the unions. If you really want to debate that I will start a new thread or you can read through the countless other threads where we have discussed that.

habsheaven
06-25-2011, 02:32 PM

That's not true at all. I am as ANTI-UNION as you are ANTI-OBAMA.

tutall
06-25-2011, 02:56 PM
That's not true at all. I am as ANTI-UNION as you are ANTI-OBAMA.

So what policies has Obama enacted that are good for business and what are the numbers that back it up?

texansrangerfan73
06-25-2011, 03:42 PM
Even though this has NOTHING to do with oil prices.... I find the post a bit odd... The UAW is responsible for the downfall of the american automobile. The UAW hasmade many american vehicles unaffordable and the quality to go down. I buy American made cars still and will continue too in the future because honestly I live less than 2 miles from one of the most productive Chevy plants in America and have a ton of friends that would give me crap if i bought something else but to say the UAW is a great organization or anything like that is a load of crap. You are not for the executives? Why? They gave you a job. Someone at one time or another who was a white collar worker risked his money to put you into the workforce. Im not saying all unions are a bad thing... For instance I can see the purpose of the public unions of firefighters and police officers so when a mayor change happens he doesnt clean house and put his cronies in the spot. Most businesses however would be much more healthy and productive without the unions. If you really want to debate that I will start a new thread or you can read through the countless other threads where we have discussed that.
Opinions Vary. No thanks I'm here for sports not political crap. Enjoy your new thread if you make it but I won't be posting in it!!

Oh yea I'm sorry if I offended anyone with saying white collar or executives. Yes people in the front of HR gave me the job or the managers of any workplace gives me the job. Just for the Record, I don't work for any union right now & haven't for a few years. My own true opinion is that I'll remain in a blue collar job as opposed to the other. I love manufacturing & it is my job & preference. Thank you & again I didn't mean to offend or upset anyone!!

MadMan1978
06-26-2011, 12:38 PM

So you bought a Toyota this last time correct?

MadMan1978
06-26-2011, 12:39 PM
Opinions Vary. No thanks I'm here for sports not political crap. Enjoy your new thread if you make it but I won't be posting in it!!

Oh yea I'm sorry if I offended anyone with saying white collar or executives. Yes people in the front of HR gave me the job or the managers of any workplace gives me the job. Just for the Record, I don't work for any union right now & haven't for a few years. My own true opinion is that I'll remain in a blue collar job as opposed to the other. I love manufacturing & it is my job & preference. Thank you & again I didn't mean to offend or upset anyone!!

you will have to excuse the Republicans on this site...they follow the Party and their platform of busting the unions!

MadMan1978
06-26-2011, 12:41 PM
Yeah just like the bankers and the top executives of AIG did right???

MadMan1978
06-26-2011, 12:42 PM
This will reduce the price a bit...but i just dont get the timing...

texansrangerfan73
06-26-2011, 12:47 PM
This will reduce the price a bit...but i just dont get the timing...

Thanks madman. Yea the prices here on the Southern Gulf tip is already down to $3.35-3.42. I think the timing is just because of worry of production with all the BS in the Middle East.

OnePimpTiger
06-26-2011, 03:57 PM
you will have to excuse the Republicans on this site...they follow the Party and their platform of busting the unions!

What about us libertarians who are against unions?

That aside, isn't that the whole point of parties, agreeing with people on the topics? Any one who believes in a true free market system is against unions...it's hardly just a party talking point. But I realize to some it's easier to trivialize the oppositions point rather than actually respond on your own opinion's merits.

First, have I ever agreed with anything AIG did? Exactly. And second, at least they did not say they are trying to create jobs while at the same time enacting policies that stifle the creation of jobs.

MadMan1978
06-26-2011, 04:09 PM
and till yet you have never condemned the actions of top greedy executives op any company have you?

libertarians just another shade of Republican...I see no difference...

duane1969
06-26-2011, 05:48 PM

I resent this broad statement. You know nothing about me or why I dislike unions.

I lived and worked in PA for 10 years where the only people who had jobs were union members. I can't remember how many jobs I interviewed for and was told that a stipulation of being hired was joining the union. If I refused to join the union then I would not be hired. If I refused to pay 10% of my income into the union coffers then I would be "dismissed" without any further explanation. If the union told me to go on strike and I refused because I had bills to pay and kids to feed then I was kicked out of the union and since I was no longer a union member (a requirement of employment) I was then fired.

The unions were not helping people, they were hurting them. The unions were keeping people that would normally get a job from getting one. The unions were doing nothing but sucking the money out of the working man's pocket and blackmailing him into being OK with it.

Unions were started to protect the workers. All unions do now is bleed the workers dry. While union workers put in a hard day of work the union leaders ride around in luxury cars and debate how to spend their next million dollars of union dues.

-------------------------------

As for the oil thing, big deal. Obama waited until gasoline was at $4 a gallon before he did it. He waited until the oil companies were again crippling our economy and then barely lifted a finger to do something about it. I am not impressed.

All he did was prove that he is still too stupid and inept to do anything significant during his presidency.

texansrangerfan73
06-26-2011, 06:00 PM
WOW I really didn't mean to start this debate over Unions or Obama!! I just was mentioning that on 3 points he may have gained more voters supporting him. I am from Texas & will be supporting my Governor in 2012 if he runs. Plenty of support from the TP side of the platform.

MadMan1978
06-26-2011, 06:54 PM
WOW I really didn't mean to start this debate over Unions or Obama!! I just was mentioning that on 3 points he may have gained more voters supporting him. I am from Texas & will be supporting my Governor in 2012 if he runs. Plenty of support from the TP side of the platform.
This is normal!

well when I post in here

MadMan1978
06-26-2011, 07:04 PM
I resent this broad statement. You know nothing about me or why I dislike unions.

I lived and worked in PA for 10 years where the only people who had jobs were union members. I can't remember how many jobs I interviewed for and was told that a stipulation of being hired was joining the union. If I refused to join the union then I would not be hired. If I refused to pay 10% of my income into the union coffers then I would be "dismissed" without any further explanation. If the union told me to go on strike and I refused because I had bills to pay and kids to feed then I was kicked out of the union and since I was no longer a union member (a requirement of employment) I was then fired.

The unions were not helping people, they were hurting them. The unions were keeping people that would normally get a job from getting one. The unions were doing nothing but sucking the money out of the working man's pocket and blackmailing him into being OK with it.

Unions were started to protect the workers. All unions do now is bleed the workers dry. While union workers put in a hard day of work the union leaders ride around in luxury cars and debate how to spend their next million dollars of union dues.

Duane- resent all you wish it is true-Republicans have attempted to bust unions since there inception. 10%? I think your a vastly overstating that amount!

Unions were fine to build parts of the country werent they?
I know a LARGE number of people who are of a union, friends and family a like, never have they had statements such as yours. Bleed the workers dry? HOW? I had a past roommate who was part of the TEAMSTERS and he did not even feel the way you do! Republicans hate the fact that they push laws to protect workers safety while providing fair wages. More over they hate the fact that UNIONS have not backed their candidates for a long number of years!

As for the oil thing, big deal. Obama waited until gasoline was at $4 a gallon before he did it. He waited until the oil companies were again crippling our economy and then barely lifted a finger to do something about it. I am not impressed.

All he did was prove that he is still too stupid and inept to do anything significant during his presidency.

INTIMADATOR2007
06-26-2011, 09:13 PM

Well said !

OnePimpTiger
06-26-2011, 09:57 PM

But that's what this whole forum is for, debate. That's the whole point of politics, people with opposing ideals debating the issues. Politics without debate is a dictatorship. Don't apologize and don't feel bad, you're just participating in what helped found our country.

This, on the other hand:

So you bought a Toyota this last time correct?

and till yet you have never condemned the actions of top greedy executives op any company have you?

libertarians just another shade of Republican...I see no difference...

This is normal!

well when I post in here

...is just snarky comments that add nothing to the debate.

OnePimpTiger
06-26-2011, 10:07 PM
Unions were fine to build parts of the country werent they?
I know a LARGE number of people who are of a union, friends and family a like, never have they had statements such as yours. Bleed the workers dry? HOW? I had a past roommate who was part of the TEAMSTERS and he did not even feel the way you do! Republicans hate the fact that they push laws to protect workers safety while providing fair wages. More over they hate the fact that UNIONS have not backed their candidates for a long number of years!

At one point, unions did serve a valid purpose. They did help protect workers and provide fair wages. Now, however, union workers make far more than fair wages and when was the last time a significant safety law was enacted based on union activism? duane's experience is a perfect example of what unions do for workers now. Large amounts of money are paid to union reps who do nothing more than protect their jobs. Liberals are quick to complain about business executives because they collect big paychecks while the workers get the shaft. Yet they completely ignore the fact that unions do the same thing. The UAW and California Teacher's Union are perfect examples. They blatantly refused accepting a pay cut and/or benefit cut knowing that would result in the loss of thousands of jobs and possibly the closing of their businesses. How does that help the worker? The unions are supposed to represent the workers, but they could care less about the workers. They do exactly what politicians do: whatever they have to in order to keep their own jobs, saying they're doing it for the people, but only looking out for themselves.

INTIMADATOR2007
06-26-2011, 10:13 PM
At one point, unions did serve a valid purpose. They did help protect workers and provide fair wages. Now, however, union workers make far more than fair wages and when was the last time a significant safety law was enacted based on union activism? duane's experience is a perfect example of what unions do for workers now. Large amounts of money are paid to union reps who do nothing more than protect their jobs. Liberals are quick to complain about business executives because they collect big paychecks while the workers get the shaft. Yet they completely ignore the fact that unions do the same thing. The UAW and California Teacher's Union are perfect examples. They blatantly refused accepting a pay cut and/or benefit cut knowing that would result in the loss of thousands of jobs and possibly the closing of their businesses. How does that help the worker? The unions are supposed to represent the workers, but they could care less about the workers. They do exactly what politicians do: whatever they have to in order to keep their own jobs, saying they're doing it for the people, but only looking out for themselves.
For some reason the name Richard Trumpka comes to mind ..Perfect example of a union leader robbing his members for his own gain .And to top it off he sits and talks with Obama everyday ! He is pretty much Obama's main adviser . Is this not a problem ?
And this thread has gotten way off topic for some reason ...lol..

MadMan1978
06-26-2011, 10:17 PM
But that's what this whole forum is for, debate. That's the whole point of politics, people with opposing ideals debating the issues. Politics without debate is a dictatorship. Don't apologize and don't feel bad, you're just participating in what helped found our country.

This, on the other hand:

...is just snarky comments that add nothing to the debate.
If you had something worthy of debate instead of plain bashing then it may be worth while. You want to just more complain about everything they stand and take action. If you believe you have a better way run for office.

andrewhoya
06-27-2011, 08:36 AM

I don't think he was apologizing for starting a debate; I think he was apologizing for starting a debate not related to what the thread was started for.

OnePimpTiger
06-27-2011, 02:47 PM
If you had something worthy of debate instead of plain bashing then it may be worth while. You want to just more complain about everything they stand and take action. If you believe you have a better way run for office.

I post a topic I think is newsworthy, hoping to start a conversation, continue on in that thread posting my feelings on the issue, while you come in posting 7 times, 1 with anything that could even remotely be considered contributing to the conversation and the other 6 just being cheap shots and I'm the one who is just plain bashing?

Obviously you're a fan of ad hominem...SOP, right?

I don't think he was apologizing for starting a debate; I think he was apologizing for starting a debate not related to what the thread was started for.

Ah gotcha...I misunderstood. Sorry texas!

texansrangerfan73
06-27-2011, 07:33 PM
Actually my only apology in this thread was on page 2 about offending any white collared or HR workers. But I did sort of take this thread off course which I did not mean to do. BTW to the one who mentioned union dues I got an email today & thought you may like so here it is. I know that some dues are necessary but not all & they should serve a purpose for why they are paid monthly or annually. Here is the email about ending unnecessary dues in the Public Sector. Enjoy it!!

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=qc4muldab&v=001CtjM0WlZCWLi94sHS3W743jdk_Via4nYEVuMhjf3Rtce5 UT87fAsYjx0z5ECrwf2hVQa4TUFMkT_EWw1mgrhDfzSsMzuer5 Sf5_fad_DQUU%3D (http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=qc4muldab&v=001CtjM0WlZCWLi94sHS3W743jdk_Via4nYEVuMhjf3Rtce5 UT87fAsYjx0z5ECrwf2hVQa4TUFMkT_EWw1mgrhDfzSsMzuer5 Sf5_fad_DQUU%3D)

tutall
06-30-2011, 10:01 PM
This is normal!

well when I post in here

Maybe it is the blanket statements and the blind following of a man that you cannot name 3 things he has done to help the economy and site references or stats?