PDA

View Full Version : Republicans Cut Food Assistance For Low-Income Families While Protecting Azaleas

MadMan1978
06-26-2011, 11:23 PM
It appears the new priorities of the House Republicans are to maintain a garden over feeding the poor.

WASHINGTON -- If you're an azalea at the National Arboretum, you're in luck -- a Republican on the House Appropriations Committee is looking out for you. If you're a woman, infant or child, however, you're on your own.

Slipped into the FY 2012 agriculture appropriations bill that the House is expected to take up today is an unusual provision on page 13 requiring the National Arboretum to maintain a very specific portion of its azalea collection.

Full Story here http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/14/house-republicans-food-assistance-families-azaleas_n_876568.html

INTIMADATOR2007
06-26-2011, 11:35 PM
Here Democrats take farm land from farmers to protect Birds for Trains ... so Food for trains ?

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=3&sqi=2&ved=0CC0QFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnewsdeskinternational.wordpress.c om%2F2011%2F06%2F25%2Fcalifornia-high-speed-rail-route-cuts-through-farms-to-protect-birds%2F&ei=_-sHTv7cDYfAtgfBjZ3JDQ&usg=AFQjCNHkvWTrJ06NyhJL9pG6oAXzGaJu1A (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=3&sqi=2&ved=0CC0QFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnewsdeskinternational.wordpress.c om%2F2011%2F06%2F25%2Fcalifornia-high-speed-rail-route-cuts-through-farms-to-protect-birds%2F&ei=_-sHTv7cDYfAtgfBjZ3JDQ&usg=AFQjCNHkvWTrJ06NyhJL9pG6oAXzGaJu1A)

INTIMADATOR2007
06-26-2011, 11:37 PM
It appears the new priorities of the House Republicans are to maintain a garden over feeding the poor.

Full Story here http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/14/house-republicans-food-assistance-families-azaleas_n_876568.html

O.K so you say your not a Liberal but you get your info from far left leaning Liberal web sites ? are you a proggressive then ?

MadMan1978
06-26-2011, 11:40 PM
Actually that was the best written story. short and to the point...

MadMan1978
06-26-2011, 11:40 PM
Here Democrats take farm land from farmers to protect Birds for Trains ... so Food for trains ?

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=3&sqi=2&ved=0CC0QFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnewsdeskinternational.wordpress.c om%2F2011%2F06%2F25%2Fcalifornia-high-speed-rail-route-cuts-through-farms-to-protect-birds%2F&ei=_-sHTv7cDYfAtgfBjZ3JDQ&usg=AFQjCNHkvWTrJ06NyhJL9pG6oAXzGaJu1A
and this has what ti do with WIC or the topic I just posted?

jeeptrader
06-26-2011, 11:41 PM
actually that was the best written story. Short and to the point...
+1

INTIMADATOR2007

If the left is so worried about low income people reciving WIC or Food Stamps why did Obama cut funding for the food stamp program ? Why can't he get these people Jobs instead of food stamps ?

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/114271-dems-may-use-food-stamp-money-to-pay-for-michelle-obamas-nutrition-initiative-

MadMan1978
As well No I am not a liberal as so labeled by you...I more consider myself a moderate...

INTIMADATOR2007
06-26-2011, 11:50 PM
and this has what ti do with WIC or the topic I just posted?

It appears that the Democrats want trains instead of the farmers growing the food that supplies the WIC program with the FREE food .

MadMan1978
06-26-2011, 11:52 PM
If the left is so worried about low income people reciving WIC or Food Stamps why did Obama cut funding for the food stamp program ? Why can't he get these people Jobs instead of food stamps ?
first I think you missed the point and continue to deflect away from the issue....

Second WIC and Food stamps are different programs and not contacted i believe

I think the Azaleas should be displayed in every congressman's office while in bloom

INTIMADATOR2007
06-26-2011, 11:53 PM
As well No I am not a liberal as so labeled by you...I more consider myself a moderate...

Isn't a moderate someone who sees both sides of the fence ? I haven't seen you agree with anything the rep. want . Just Bashing .

MadMan1978
06-26-2011, 11:53 PM

It appears that the Democrats want trains instead of the farmers growing the food that supplies the WIC program with the FREE food .

well I am pretty sure that would create more jobs now wouldnt it ?

INTIMADATOR2007
06-26-2011, 11:55 PM
first I think you missed the point and continue to deflect away from the issue....

Second WIC and Food stamps are different programs and not contacted i believe

I think the Azaleas should be displayed in every congressman's office while in bloom

Wic is foodstamps ..

MadMan1978
06-26-2011, 11:58 PM
Wic is foodstamps ..
then i stand corrected

INTIMADATOR2007
06-27-2011, 12:01 AM
well I am pretty sure that would create more jobs now wouldnt it ?
Yes building trains will create jobs absolutley , But without the farmers who is going to provide the food needed for the Wic program . which is foodstamps . If one applies for wic they are applying for foodstamps .so cali. will have trains and birds but no food , That's great isn't it ? And repubs. will have azaleas but no Wic for the poor ,we are screwed no matter what ..lol.

MadMan1978
06-27-2011, 12:01 AM
Isn't a moderate someone who sees both sides of the fence ? I haven't seen you agree with anything the rep. want . Just Bashing .
Actually you are correct in that statement--I will never agree with anything the Republicans/GOP say...however trusting politicians today can bite you on the backside real quick...

mrveggieman
06-27-2011, 09:18 AM
Actually you are correct in that statement--I will never agree with anything the Republicans/GOP say...however trusting politicians today can bite you on the backside real quick...

+1

99% of politicians are full of crap. It trips me out how someone can be a political fanboy now a days.

MadMan1978
06-27-2011, 12:59 PM
Be careful of all you read and well most of what Ruch and the Tea Party wish to publish (those were the ones of negative thoughts that stood out while searching)

As per the norm they are not giving you the whole story..the proposed "cut" was to be for 2014 in which a 12% increase for Food Stamps was called for...Obama has adjusted that to 9% increase overall for food stamps for 2014...thats is how i read that...

Star_Cards
06-27-2011, 02:38 PM
I'm not sure that it's fair of the article to compare these two. When it comes to feeding less fortunate almost nothing that the government finds will be equal. That said there are a lot of things that the government needs to fund and should fund similar to this. As far as I'm concerned there is probably a lot of waste in both programs as well as others. I usually wonder how much stuff could be funded and not have the country in debt if they could just be more efficient about things and get rid of corruption and loop holes.

OnePimpTiger
06-27-2011, 03:29 PM
Gotta love Huffington Post. Nowhere in that article or any article it links to does it provide a link to actual, unbiased information on this issue. It's kind of hard to evaluate the situation fairly if you're only getting the uberliberal HuffPost side of things.

It sounds bad, no doubt. But I wonder how many federal budgets contain an increase in funds for a trivial program while cutting a more worthy program. I would be willing to wager every single one. I guarantee the Democrats increased funding for the National Arboretum at some point as well. It's easy to pick two singular items out of thousands of items in a budget that will allow you to spin it any way you want. And when you read sites that only give you the spin, it's hard to find true information.

OnePimpTiger
06-27-2011, 03:34 PM
madman, I just read your response in one of my threads and it applies perfectly here:

Is this really a topic worthy of any discussion?

because of:

your source

Seriously? You're going to say a major scandal making headlines everywhere is not worthy of discussion because I linked an article from Pajamas Media, then you're going to tell me an actual non-story is worthy of discussion based on a Huffington Post article? Seriously? Seriously??

Based on that, I'm going to have to add another one of your quotes, paraphrasing a little:

you will have to excuse the liberals on this site...they follow the Party and their platform of busting anything Republicans do because HuffPost told them to!

MadMan1978
06-27-2011, 03:49 PM
Darren you read correctly..I will take the huffington post over 95% of the sources you cite...and nice job reworking my comments...just what i would expect now stay on topic

thank you

duane1969
06-27-2011, 05:05 PM
WIC and foodstamps are not the same thing. WIC is (Women Infant Care) and is only given to low-income women who are pregnant or have had a baby within the last year (or two years, I forget).

You can be eligible for foodstamps and not eligible for WIC, but if you are eligible for foodstamps you automatically qualify for WIC if you get pregnant.

With that said, they get their funding from the same place. All of these social programs like WIC, HUD and foodstamps are funded thru the same sources.

Gotta love Huffington Post. Nowhere in that article or any article it links to does it provide a link to actual, unbiased information on this issue. It's kind of hard to evaluate the situation fairly if you're only getting the uberliberal HuffPost side of things.

It sounds bad, no doubt. But I wonder how many federal budgets contain an increase in funds for a trivial program while cutting a more worthy program. I would be willing to wager every single one. I guarantee the Democrats increased funding for the National Arboretum at some point as well. It's easy to pick two singular items out of thousands of items in a budget that will allow you to spin it any way you want. And when you read sites that only give you the spin, it's hard to find true information.

+1

I see FoxNews bashed all of the time for being biased and yet Huffington Post is by far the most biased news source in the media and nobody seems to mind that at all. I even know Democrats who admit that HP is too biased to be taken seriously.

The simple fact is that all politicians waste money. The Huff will attack conservatives for pork spending and then glorify liberals for the same careless spending. I am not going to waste my time listing liberal wasteful spending, if you want to find some you won't have to look far or hard.

OnePimpTiger
06-27-2011, 06:25 PM
Darren you read correctly..I will take the huffington post over 95% of the sources you cite...and nice job reworking my comments...just what i would expect now stay on topic

thank you

At least you admit your bias. The only "reworking" I did was pointing them back at you...I applied the same principles you applied to me. I will happily end this discussion when you do...you must lead by example. Throwing in one last cheap shot, then telling me to stay on topic is hardly fair play.

MadMan1978
06-27-2011, 10:03 PM
I can do nothing but laugh once again....

sanfran22
06-27-2011, 11:06 PM
Because your laughable????:winking0071:

OnePimpTiger
06-28-2011, 12:36 AM

Makes sense...obviously can't debate an issue.

tutall
06-30-2011, 11:10 PM
I would prefer to government cutting all funding for any food/item based funding. If they took 20 percent of the budget that goes into government aid and put them into charity organizations they would be more efficiently ran and 1000 times more productive... The united way can feed something like a family of 4 for a month on 7 bucks or something like that. A politician cant stop at a gas station and get a pop and a bag of doritos for that price.

OnePimpTiger
07-01-2011, 11:55 PM
I would prefer to government cutting all funding for any food/item based funding. If they took 20 percent of the budget that goes into government aid and put them into charity organizations they would be more efficiently ran and 1000 times more productive... The united way can feed something like a family of 4 for a month on 7 bucks or something like that. A politician cant stop at a gas station and get a pop and a bag of doritos for that price.

Hear hear!

MadMan1978
07-02-2011, 12:55 AM

feed a family of 4 for for 7 dollars a month ??? ...If you have information on how I can feed a family of 4 for 7 please do share...

Please provide some real data to back up that statement...United way from all accounts has a large administrative cost..Let alone other issues over the past number of years.

MadMan1978
07-02-2011, 12:56 AM
Makes sense...obviously can't debate an issue.
With you there is no debate...

tutall
07-02-2011, 01:01 AM
feed a family of 4 for for 7 dollars a month ??? ...If you have information on how I can feed a family of 4 for 7 please do share...

Please provide some real data to back up that statement...United way from all accounts has a large administrative cost..Let alone other issues over the past number of years.

I dont know where the number is... Maybe it is 10 bucks a month or something... Either way it isMUCH MUCH lower than the government can do. If I find the exact stat I will post it but I wont be spending much time looking... I think we can all agree if the government was run as a business it would have failed long long ago

MadMan1978
07-02-2011, 01:14 AM
I dont know where the number is... Maybe it is 10 bucks a month or something... Either way it isMUCH MUCH lower than the government can do. If I find the exact stat I will post it but I wont be spending much time looking... I think we can all agree if the government was run as a business it would have failed long long ago

Thats is why Government is not a business...

and we can all agree if the 2 parties would DO THE RIGHT THING with what is in hand all would be better as well...

tutall
07-02-2011, 01:19 AM
Thats is why Government is not a business...

and we can all agree if the 2 parties would DO THE RIGHT THING with what is in hand all would be better as well...

Not really... First off the government SHOULD be run like a business.... Dont spend more than you make, make the decision based on what is best for the shareholders (the american people) etc....

Second, Even if the parties would do the right thing it is a system set up for failure. Thefederal government was not put in place to micromanage. It was set up as a governing body for the people. Funding for programs should be held strictly by states and regulated through them also. A politician sitting in DC has no idea what it is like in Elkhart County Indiana so they shouldnt be voting on how to help those people. On the flip side, a chrity like United Way, Samaritans Purse, Big Brother Big Sisters, etc can take a dollar and stretch it further than the extreme couponers on tv. Im not doubting your comment about the issues they have had but on the scale of things there is more fraud in the current system than the united ways annual budget.

Biggtyme
07-02-2011, 01:20 AM
I don't care which party did this is unacceptable. If they want to cut cost and reduce budgets look at your self first and stop pointing ™™™™ing fingers...with the average wealth of a congress person being 911K in 2009 up from 785K in 2008 (WHILE IN THE MIDST OF A DEPRESSION OR RESCISSION)....can we all agree they can live on less reduce the federal payment and you have a start cause we have way to many people in government making way to much money to pick on the less fortunate period.

OnePimpTiger
07-02-2011, 12:02 PM
With you there is no debate...

The cheap shots never stop, do they? Not into the whole "leading by example" thing?

What about with everyone else? I haven't seen a post with substance from you in weeks...just wisecracks, insults, and bashing Republicans. Hard to reach across party lines and compromise like The Great One has promised that way...WWOD?

What happened to you madman? If I remember correctly, you used to be one of the more reasonable, productive posters in this forum...

MadMan1978
07-02-2011, 12:40 PM
No cheap shots...fact is there is no debating with you. I am the same person i have always been really. I am just tired of people bashing people. We are at a point in this country where so much is at stake that the personal agenda's and parties cannot see over the BS and get he job done! I actually ignore 90% of what you post as an effort to remain somewhat sane. For years I have listened to republicans (which ever shade you wish to follow) and find that they scream and protest to just scream and protest! I find more so, that they cant sell it! Sell to people of liberal thoughts and the like. If you wish to cast me as a liberal by all means please do, if it makes you feel better. However, when i read article like this one, regardless of the source, I find it petty that the any person feels the feel to attack the less fortunate, in this case children, i would think all reading this would feel the same way. This is was not the case. but who cares right? They are just children. They dont vote. so pay mind

If you beleive that is a cheap shot then so be it..

In regards to the United Way...I have never donate money to them and most likely I will not. There history is not the best and they are always in question about administrative costs. However, that is a different topic.

and 10 bucks a month? Man i need that diet...please find that and i will read that in full! I need to save a few bucks!

OnePimpTiger
07-02-2011, 02:37 PM
No cheap shots...fact is there is no debating with you. I am the same person i have always been really. I am just tired of people bashing people. We are at a point in this country where so much is at stake that the personal agenda's and parties cannot see over the BS and get he job done! I actually ignore 90% of what you post as an effort to remain somewhat sane. For years I have listened to republicans (which ever shade you wish to follow) and find that they scream and protest to just scream and protest! I find more so, that they cant sell it! Sell to people of liberal thoughts and the like. If you wish to cast me as a liberal by all means please do, if it makes you feel better. However, when i read article like this one, regardless of the source, I find it petty that the any person feels the feel to attack the less fortunate, in this case children, i would think all reading this would feel the same way. This is was not the case. but who cares right? They are just children. They dont vote. so pay mind

So basically, Republicans should just forget about everything they believe in and accept liberal policies because you think they're right. You ignore 90% of what the other side says, you feel they should go against their core beliefs and simply capitulate to the other side...healthy political attitude there! If you wouldn't just ignore what the other side says, you would realize they are screaming and protesting for a reason: they completely disagree on a fundamental level with what's happening in our country and the decisions politicians are making and are trying to do something about it. Why don't you just give up what you believe is right and accept conservative policies instead of screaming and protesting for no reason?

And let me guess, I'm the close-minded one?

The One would pretend to be ashamed of you. You are not embodying the bipartisanship change he pretended to promise in his campaign.

If you beleive that is a cheap shot then so be it..

I do believe it a cheap shot. If you want to discuss issues, then by all means discuss. If all you do is slander, insult, and mock...that my friend is a cheap shot.

tutall
07-02-2011, 03:44 PM
There ya go madman...

http://www.unitedwayallencounty.org/sites/default/files/file/$1%20a%20week%2010(1).pdf

I apologize... i remembered it a little off... but the point still remains they are a whole lot more efficient than handing out hundreds of dollars or government aid and social security checks....

MadMan1978
07-02-2011, 04:45 PM
So basically, Republicans should just forget about everything they believe in and accept liberal policies because you think they're right. You ignore 90% of what the other side says, you feel they should go against their core beliefs and simply capitulate to the other side...healthy political attitude there! If you wouldn't just ignore what the other side says, you would realize they are screaming and protesting for a reason: they completely disagree on a fundamental level with what's happening in our country and the decisions politicians are making and are trying to do something about it. Why don't you just give up what you believe is right and accept conservative policies instead of screaming and protesting for no reason?

And let me guess, I'm the close-minded one?

The One would pretend to be ashamed of you. You are not embodying the bipartisanship change he pretended to promise in his campaign.

I do believe it a cheap shot. If you want to discuss issues, then by all means discuss. If all you do is slander, insult, and mock...that my friend is a cheap shot.

I fail to see your connection between the concepts, making your logic flawed. Embody bipartisanship? Is this not what the republicans ran on this last election? And how long did that last? Please tell me you have more then this??? If you believe this was a cheap shot-man you do not know well enough! Outside this forum and the rules enforced here-you would think I hang them and then burn them at the stake!

MadMan1978
07-02-2011, 04:50 PM
There ya go madman...

http://www.unitedwayallencounty.org/sites/default/files/file/$1%20a%20week%2010(1).pdf

I apologize... i remembered it a little off... but the point still remains they are a whole lot more efficient than handing out hundreds of dollars or government aid and social security checks....

Not to sound aloof...however this has NOTHING to with Social Security....
Do you know what the WIC program is?

tutall
07-02-2011, 05:33 PM
Not to sound aloof...however this has NOTHING to with Social Security....
Do you know what the WIC program is?

I know exactly what WIC is... I am speaking of government waste in general. If all these programs were bundled together and flushed down the toilet we would be much better off as a country.

texansrangerfan73
07-02-2011, 05:41 PM
Wic is foodstamps ..

This statement is ABSOLUTELY false. WIC is Women, Infants & Children. Foodstamps are foodstamps which are 2 seperate programs entirely. IF you gotta spit then spit it out right!!!!

OnePimpTiger
07-03-2011, 01:25 AM
I fail to see your connection between the concepts, making your logic flawed. Embody bipartisanship? Is this not what the republicans ran on this last election? And how long did that last? Please tell me you have more then this??? If you believe this was a cheap shot-man you do not know well enough! Outside this forum and the rules enforced here-you would think I hang them and then burn them at the stake!

Your failure to understand makes my logic flawed? That's either one of the most unintelligent or one of the most egotistical things I've ever heard. Either way, your ability to understand hardly dictates logic.

What connections are you failing to see? I'll be happy to explain them further.

Bipartisanship is what The One ran on...Republicans ran on the platform of fixing what a Democratic President and Congress had screwed up.