PDA

View Full Version : Obama and Boehner to the rescue?

pghin08
07-07-2011, 09:28 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/07/07/debt.crisis/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

At least they're talking about some kind of significant entitlement cuts/tax hikes. There's got to be a middle ground somewhere.

INTIMADATOR2007
07-07-2011, 11:41 AM
It would be interesting to see if there has been a major increase of jobs while increasing taxes .

pghin08
07-07-2011, 11:52 AM
It would be interesting to see if there has been a major increase of jobs while increasing taxes .

I'm not even sure if broad-based tax reform is totally necessary at this point (though I think it will be in the not-so-distant future). But I do think we can close some loopholes. If you make $250K+ a year, do you really need the mortgage deduction credit? Meh, probably not. There are so many deductions, that even closing a few of them would significantly increase tax revenue. To respond to your statement, I'm really not sure. My gut says no, but I question how much they are truly correlated. If you look at large corporations, many of which are paying little or no taxes (GM, etc), it hasn't necessarily lead to loads of new jobs, but rather an enormous cash buildup on their balance sheets. So I'm not sure corporate tax breaks really increase jobs, but on the flip side, I doubt increasing taxes would lead to a large increase in jobs.

The thing I like the best is tackling entitlement reform. As a 24 year old, I expect to have zero help from the government when I retire (and frankly, retirement will be an outdated concept by that point). We may have a chance if we approach the entitlements now rather than later. For far too long, Americans have become dependent on Medicare/Social Security. One of the issues I have with a lot of Republican voters (and in my line of work, I deal with a lot), is that they cry over the debt ceiling, but how dare you take away any part of their social security checks! And the usual Democrat ignorance of the issue at all will always baffle me. But it's good to see the President and Speaker acknowledging that a long-term agreement will probably require a logical middle ground between both parties.

duane1969
07-07-2011, 12:19 PM
This is not entirely within topic but it does involve taxes and it involves an aspect that I think is a pure scam.

We go to work and earn a paycheck. The Federal government takes income tax and most states take income tax. (Federal taxes +1 State taxes +1)

I use the money that I take home to buy things like a car and a house. I pay sales taxes on these items as well as Federal emissions taxes, both state and Fed permits, etc. In essence I am taxed for the right to spend my money. (Federal taxes +1 State taxes +1)

I buy gas to drive that car. (Federal taxes +1 State taxes +1)

I buy food, I pay state sales tax (in some states). (Fed +0 State +1)

In every aspect of money changing hands the government takes more and more. From the time I get my money until the time it is gone, the government is taking a portion. I honestly believe that I may pay out a grand total of 35% or 40% of my base income in taxes.

I personally believe that an income tax is all that should be needed. I pay sales tax to buy something and the seller pays income tax on the sale. How more blatant of a double-dipping case can there be?

mrveggieman
07-07-2011, 12:28 PM

You know herman cain if I am not mistaken is in favor of the fair tax. The fair tax seems like a good idea from what little bit I know about it but I still would not vote for him because of it because as we all know politicans will say anything to get into office. That being said I would be interested in seeing the next president wheather it is Obama or anyone else doing some type of tax reform that would help the average man instead of robbing for the poor and giving to the rich like the powers that be having been doing since day 1.

pghin08
07-07-2011, 12:28 PM
This is not entirely within topic but it does involve taxes and it involves an aspect that I think is a pure scam.

We go to work and earn a paycheck. The Federal government takes income tax and most states take income tax. (Federal taxes +1 State taxes +1)

I use the money that I take home to buy things like a car and a house. I pay sales taxes on these items as well as Federal emissions taxes, both state and Fed permits, etc. In essence I am taxed for the right to spend my money. (Federal taxes +1 State taxes +1)

I buy gas to drive that car. (Federal taxes +1 State taxes +1)

I buy food, I pay state sales tax (in some states). (Fed +0 State +1)

In every aspect of money changing hands the government takes more and more. From the time I get my money until the time it is gone, the government is taking a portion. I honestly believe that I may pay out a grand total of 35% or 40% of my base income in taxes.

I personally believe that an income tax is all that should be needed. I pay sales tax to buy something and the seller pays income tax on the sale. How more blatant of a double-dipping case can there be?

My point is that America loves these entitlement programs until the bill comes due. It's not like things were worse, tax-wise, than 50 years ago (quite the opposite), yet SS/Medicare/Medicaid costs have grown exponentially.

duane1969
07-07-2011, 12:55 PM
My point is that America loves these entitlement programs until the bill comes due. It's not like things were worse, tax-wise, than 50 years ago (quite the opposite), yet SS/Medicare/Medicaid costs have grown exponentially.

You are preaching to the choir now. I am all for a termination date for entitlement assistance. If I were POTUS my policy would look something like this:

- Single person, 6 months and your off
- Married w/o children, 3 months and your off
- Single with children, 1 year and your off
- Married w/ children, 1 year and your off
- Have a new baby? You do not get extra assistance for it, you do not get an extension on your current benefits.
- Previously was on welfare and are now gainfully employed making above the poverty level? Pay 5% of your gross income into the program for as long as you were on it. (self supporting system)
- Elimination of unnecessary SSI. No government checks for health issues related to self-induced causes such as obesity, smoking, alcohol, drugs, etc. If you did it to yourself then deal with it yourself.
- Elimination of Medicaid/Medicare for self-induced illnesses. Got lung cancer from smoking? Pay for it yourself. Got liver disease from alcohol abuse? Pay for it yourself. Got bad knees/back from being obese and need surgery? Pay for it yourself. The government isn't responsible for fixing your mistakes.
- Mandatory drug testing to receive benefits. If you can afford to get high then you don't need taxpayer dollars.

These steps alone would turn the welfare system into a minor expense for the government.

pghin08
07-07-2011, 12:58 PM
You are preaching to the choir now. I am all for a termination date for entitlement assistance. If I were POTUS my policy would look something like this:

- Have a new baby? You do not get extra assistance for it, you do not get an extension on your current benefits.
- Previously was on welfare and are now gainfully employed making above the poverty level? Pay 5% of your gross income into the program for as long as you were on it. (self supporting system)
- Elimination of unnecessary SSI. No government checks for health issues related to self-induced causes such as obesity, smoking, alcohol, drugs, etc. If you did it to yourself then deal with it yourself.
- Elimination of Medicaid/Medicare for self-induced illnesses. Got lung cancer from smoking? Pay for it yourself. Got liver disease from alcohol abuse? Pay for it yourself. Got bad knees/back from being obese and need surgery? Pay for it yourself. The government isn't responsible for fixing your mistakes.
- Mandatory drug testing to receive benefits. If you can afford to get high then you don't need taxpayer dollars.

These steps alone would turn the welfare system into a minor expense for the government.

110% on this one. If my employer can drug test me at their discretion, then the government can drug test those who receive federal funds.

mrveggieman
07-07-2011, 01:01 PM
110% on this one. If my employer can drug test me at their discretion, then the government can drug test those who receive federal funds.

I totally agree with the manditory drug testing for gov't benefits. If you feel that it is an invasion of privacy you don't have to accept the gov't money. I also think that welfare reciepents should be required to go to school in order to recieve benefits. Why should we the taxpayer have money taken out of our checks every week or 2 to pay for someone to sit at home and play videogames and watch reality tv?

Star_Cards
07-07-2011, 02:26 PM
You know herman cain if I am not mistaken is in favor of the fair tax. The fair tax seems like a good idea from what little bit I know about it but I still would not vote for him because of it because as we all know politicans will say anything to get into office. That being said I would be interested in seeing the next president wheather it is Obama or anyone else doing some type of tax reform that would help the average man instead of robbing for the poor and giving to the rich like the powers that be having been doing since day 1.

I would think he's in favor of it to some degree. Neal Boortz is sort of the media champion of the bill and cain is on the show a ton. I'm sure he's weighed in but I've just never heard it as I don't listen a ton. From what I've heard about the fair tax, a tax reform of this type would free up a lot of capital for businesses. I'd would think that could translate into jobs. It also sounds like reducing business taxes would bring a lot of money back into the states and potentially a lot of foreign businesses money because of reduced taxes. I would definitely like to see some movement on this.

INTIMADATOR2007
07-07-2011, 04:01 PM

You wanna run for office ? You got my vote ...lol..

duane1969
07-07-2011, 04:07 PM

Hmmm...nah, I will pass. I think the slime-balls in D.C. might be too much for me to be around on a daily basis.

mrveggieman
07-07-2011, 04:35 PM

What you wouldn't vote for me?

mrveggieman
07-07-2011, 04:36 PM
duplicate post

INTIMADATOR2007
07-07-2011, 04:43 PM
What you wouldn't vote for me?
Of course I would ,but you will have to get your head out of the sand and wake up to what is going on in this great country of ours before it's not so great anymore . :winking0071: You keep reading what some of my conservative freinds are posting and follow the right websites to educate your self away from the corrupt stuff your reading and there's Hope for ya'. Keep your head in the sand and you'll be at the end of the line wondering where ya' went wrong ..:winking0071:

mrveggieman
07-07-2011, 04:45 PM
Of course I would ,but you will have to get your head out of the sand and wake up to what is going on in this great country of ours before it's not so great anymore . :winking0071: You keep reading what some of my conservative freinds are posting and follow the right websites to educate your self away from the corrupt stuff your reading and there's Hope for ya'. Keep your head in the sand and you'll be at the end of the line wondering where ya' went wrong ..:winking0071:

I will run for office and make both the libs and conservatives proud. Vote for mrveggieman in '12!:sign0020:

brandonbarnett
07-07-2011, 05:04 PM

:cheer2::love0030: Dead on!

redsoxx11
07-07-2011, 05:18 PM
:cheer2::love0030: Dead on!

Better get ready to hire 1000's of new cops and enjoy a 1000% increase in property insurance.

brandonbarnett
07-07-2011, 05:32 PM
Better get ready to hire 1000's of new cops and enjoy a 1000% increase in property insurance.

No worries I got my own forms of protection :winking0071: