PDA

View Full Version : Did you know the internet fad "planking" is racist?

OnePimpTiger
07-09-2011, 10:39 PM
Xzibit said so (http://twitter.com/#!/xzibit/status/88795039257468928)...it must be true.

"Finding" racism where it does not exist and perpetuating racism does just as much harm to race relations as true racism. Keeping racism at the forefront of everyone's mind is the worst possible way to make it go away.

gatorboymike
07-09-2011, 10:44 PM
"Finding" racism where it does not exist and perpetuating racism does just as much harm to race relations as true racism. Keeping racism at the forefront of everyone's mind is the worst possible way to make it go away.

You are 100% correct.

duane1969
07-09-2011, 11:20 PM
Ropes and chains was a way to get slaves onto ships too. Should we stop using them too? Xzibit needs to stick to rapp..fixing cars..whatever it is he does...

habsheaven
07-10-2011, 01:33 PM
For the life of me I was trying to figure out the connection before i opened up the link. I guess everyone is allowed to have their own perspective but I highly doubt those participating in the craze have made the connection and therefore it can't possibly be racist.

sanfran22
07-10-2011, 10:01 PM
Xzibit said so (http://twitter.com/#!/xzibit/status/88795039257468928)...it must be true.

Lol, I can think of a few people that make a living doing just that. Maybe X's acting/crappy rapping career is going south so he needs a new career path....sad.

OnePimpTiger
07-11-2011, 12:27 AM
Lol, I can think of a few people that make a living doing just that. Maybe X's acting/crappy rapping career is going south so he needs a new career path....sad.

Possibly...maybe he's seen the "reverends" Jackson and Sharpton staying famous and getting paid for decades doing just this type of thing...

bouncer
07-11-2011, 06:06 AM

Agreed. Since "Pimp My Ride" was canceled I haven't heard one thing Xzibit.

Star_Cards
07-11-2011, 08:43 AM

LOL... how dumb. so when my trainer asks me to do these I can refuse and call him a racist?

so, since they transported slaves to America by boat, using Xzibit's logic anyone who boats, owns a boat, works on a boat, or spends time on a boat is a racist.

redsoxx11
07-11-2011, 09:00 AM
wow way to over react (people here), so what if he gave some history to what planking was and challeneged people to find out the history of it. I know conservatives hate books (unless it's the bible) and people who go to school are (elitists) but really.. Your going cry about it because he makes a legitimate point.

redsoxx11
07-11-2011, 09:08 AM
his actual tweet

#Planking was a way to transport slaves on ships during the slave trade, its not funny. Educate yourselves.

6 Julvia Twitter for iPhone

#Planking was a way to transport slaves on ships during the slave trade, its not funny. Educate yourselves.

6 Julvia Twitter for iPhone

Ya what a jerk for posting that... I sense some guilty conciouses in here

duane1969
07-11-2011, 10:41 AM
Who said that planking of slaves was funny? He is obviously creating drama where none exist to try and get himself a little attention.

sanfran22
07-11-2011, 10:48 AM
LOL... how dumb. so when my trainer asks me to do these I can refuse and call him a racist?

so, since they transported slaves to America by boat, using Xzibit's logic anyone who boats, owns a boat, works on a boat, or spends time on a boat is a racist.
Seriously, Especially if the boat is made of wood, thus planks. Or maybe is an old pirate ship where they forced you to walk the plank.......Or maybe because it floats in a sea full of plankton....or....:rolleyes:
The idiocy of the pC crowd somewhat astounds me. I bet we could find something "racist" with just about everything we do nowadays...At least according to some idiots.

redsoxx11
07-11-2011, 10:54 AM
I sense some stupidity here and with xzibit.....People need to grow a set.....

Or bigots like you can get over the fact that all he did was ask people to educate themselves on the origin of the word and the historical significance of it. But don't let stop you from being "tired of minorities".

duane1969
07-11-2011, 11:00 AM
Or bigots like you can get over the fact that all he did was ask people to educate themselves on the origin of the word and the historical significance of it. But don't let stop you from being "tired of minorities".

Do you honestly think that the people who are planking are calling it that to be racists?

sanfran22
07-11-2011, 11:03 AM
Not tired of minorities, just tired of people like you tring to stir things up that don't exist. People are not face up, they dont have shakles and are not stacked on top of each other. So the point is stupid. I'm sure it was the intention to offend minorities when they made up this dumb game....If anyone needs some education, I think you fit the profile...

redsoxx11
07-11-2011, 11:04 AM
Do you honestly think that the people who are planking are calling it that to be racists?

He didn't say they were racists, he said it was stupid and to look up the history of it. Your the only one saying he said it was racism.

redsoxx11
07-11-2011, 11:06 AM
Not tired of minorities, just tired of people like you tring to stir things up that don't exist. I'm sure it was the intention to offend minorities when they made up this dumb game....

That's funny because that's a quote from you..

duane1969
07-11-2011, 11:07 AM
He didn't say they were racists, he said it was stupid and to look up the history of it. Your the only one saying he said it was racism.

Aw come on. That is the obvious implication. Are you really so determined to play devil's advoate that you will ignore the obvious just to be oppositional?

redsoxx11
07-11-2011, 11:08 AM
Aw come on. That is the obvious implication. Are you really so determined to play devil's advoate that you will ignore the obvious just to be oppositional?

Is it? So then can the obvious implication of Planking be that it's racist?

duane1969
07-11-2011, 11:10 AM
Is it? So then can the obvious implication of Planking be that it's racist?

So your repsonse to a question is to ignore it and ask a contradicting question. I have nothing further to say to you.

redsoxx11
07-11-2011, 11:13 AM
SO neither of you can prove that

1. He said it was racist

or

2. Planking is not racist

what was the point of starting this thead ? I guess the OP thought it was a good chance to bad mouth a minority

sanfran22
07-11-2011, 11:19 AM

1. He said it was racist

or

what was the point of starting this thead ? I guess the OP thought it was a good chance to bad mouth a minority
My last point on this subject.... It was never called "Planking" back in the slave days.

"Firstly, the term “planking” was never used. Slave ships had something called “plank beds” but they were not exclusive to slave ships.
“Planking” in itself would not be a racist term anyway, since it doesn’t actually refer to any specific race…
In the early 19th century, Europeans also brought over Caucasian indentured servants from Ireland and Scotland, for example"

So that's a made up term by someone. Secondly, this is not the first time xzibit has pointed to racism. Sounds like someone is looking for a new carrer path. If you cant see what he was saying, there is no help for you.....

redsoxx11
07-11-2011, 11:21 AM
My last point on this subject.... It was never called "Planking" back in the slave days. So that's a made up term by someone. Secondly, this is not the first time xzibit has pointed to racism. Sounds like someone is looking for a new carrer path. If you cant see what he was saying, there is no help for you.....

So now anyone that points out racism is a terrible person? It must be hard living with the fact that people can find racism in our country because there still is. Sorry but American is not the puppies and rainbows you obviously wish it was.

redsoxx11
07-11-2011, 11:23 AM
My last point on this subject.... It was never called "Planking" back in the slave days.

"Firstly, the term “planking” was never used. Slave ships had something called “plank beds” but they were not exclusive to slave ships.
“Planking” in itself would not be a racist term anyway, since it doesn’t actually refer to any specific race…
In the early 19th century, Europeans also brought over Caucasian indentured servants from Ireland and Scotland, for example"

So that's a made up term by someone. Secondly, this is not the first time xzibit has pointed to racism. Sounds like someone is looking for a new carrer path. If you cant see what he was saying, there is no help for you.....

indentured servants are nothing like the African slaves, after 7 years they were givin land and they weren't treated anything like slaves. The fact that you even mentioned infentured servants makes me LOLZ.

Hilfiger1975
07-11-2011, 11:30 AM
As i observe this thread, Xzibit achieved his goal...

redsoxx11
07-11-2011, 11:33 AM
ya he made 1000's of white people do this

"Whhhaaaaaa meee no no no I'm AM NOT a racist !!! That Xibit he's just trying to make me feel bad"

sanfran22
07-11-2011, 11:37 AM
indentured servants are nothing like the African slaves, after 7 years they were givin land and they weren't treated anything like slaves. The fact that you even mentioned infentured servants makes me LOLZ.
That's not what it was talking about. I think you intentionally missed the point. The term doesn't really exist....

redsoxx11
07-11-2011, 11:43 AM
That's not what it was talking about. I think you intentionally missed the point. The term doesn't really exist....

I think you missed the point.. If you do something to someone at work and they think it's sexual harassment, who are you to say it didn't bother them. If he has a problem with then so be it. Trying to label him as a race baiter is your guilty conscience sneakig up on you and making you defensive.

redsoxx11
07-11-2011, 11:45 AM
Or you could just be "tired of minorities", I don't know thats between you and what ever mythical sky person you believe in.

OnePimpTiger
07-11-2011, 11:47 AM
wow way to over react (people here), so what if he gave some history to what planking was and challeneged people to find out the history of it. I know conservatives hate books (unless it's the bible) and people who go to school are (elitists) but really.. Your going cry about it because he makes a legitimate point.

Such bigotry. You should really be more tolerant of others and educate yourself on the people you bash. We'll never progress as a nation until these kind of close-minded prejudices are gone.

And I have a whole library that proves your point wrong.

OnePimpTiger
07-11-2011, 11:49 AM
So now anyone that points out racism is a terrible person? It must be hard living with the fact that people can find racism in our country because there still is. Sorry but American is not the puppies and rainbows you obviously wish it was.

Do you consider people lying face down on various objects racist?

sanfran22
07-11-2011, 11:50 AM
I think you missed the point.. If you do something to someone at work and they think it's sexual harassment, who are you to say it didn't bother them. If he has a problem with then so be it. Trying to label him as a race baiter is your guilty conscience sneakig up on you and making you defensive.
Except no one is doing anything to xzibit. So there's the first fallacy. Secondly, X appears to have a history or crying racism....

sanfran22
07-11-2011, 11:51 AM
Or you could just be "tired of minorities", I don't know thats between you and what ever mythical sky person you believe in.
Like I said before, not tired of minorities...Just tired of people like you.

Star_Cards
07-11-2011, 01:25 PM

true, He didn't actually say they were racists, but he implied that at the least that they should be ashamed that they plank or call it that because some sort of undertone that he thinks should be obvious. Plank has a couple of meanings. I don't know of the exact origin, but I think the root of the word is to describe plank of wood... or at least something in the shape of a plank of wood. I fail to see a reason for him to call out people planking that there's some sort of derogatorily racist undertone. I'd bet that the reason it's called planking is because of the connection to the exercise or that they are simulating a flat board. Drawing a connection to slavery is pretty ridiculous in my opinion.

Star_Cards
07-11-2011, 01:35 PM

lol... so you think he just said xzibit was a terrible person? I don't see where he said that.

True there still is racism in this country... maybe Xzibit should use his celebrity to tackle actual instances of racism? I guess maybe he does or maybe he posts about it more on his twitter account. I can't say because I don;t follow him on twitter, but to come out and imply that people are being racially insensitive because they plank is a bit absurd in my opinion.

Just because someone thinks this is an absurd statement doesn't mean they think the US is "puppies and rainbows" and without racism. I personally read his tweet and disregard it. If he's trying to open people's eyes to racism I'd think there are more important issues to take a stance on... with that said it's just a one tweet so maybe he was just getting something off his chest and moving on.

Star_Cards
07-11-2011, 01:45 PM

maybe I missed it, but he never compared indentured servants to slaves. He said that plank beds were used in boats for slaves, servants, and sailors alike. He brought that up to make his point... not to say slaves and indentured servants had similar lives.

Star_Cards
07-11-2011, 01:48 PM

I agree with you that you can't tell someone else what they should be offended by, but in my opinion for xzibit to try to make a link to the planking craze and planking is off base. Is it just as offensive that you can go in and buy planks of wood at a hardware store?

habsheaven
07-11-2011, 01:49 PM
Wouldn't it be nice if people ACTUALLY READ what someone posts, rather than CONTORT what they are reading so that they can try and make their own argument?

sanfran22
07-11-2011, 01:54 PM
Wouldn't it be nice if people ACTUALLY READ what someone posts, rather than CONTORT what they are reading so that they can try and make their own argument?
So Xzibit meant nothing with his comments? Nothing at all pertaining to race?

Star_Cards
07-11-2011, 02:01 PM
stay out of this canada. lol

it would be a good thing though.

Star_Cards
07-11-2011, 02:04 PM

It's obvious that he meant to imply some sort of racial offense to using the term planking. I can't tell him what should offend him but I don't get it myself. If planking was a derogatory racial slur that was used in the past I could see the offense much easier, but to my knowledge it wasn't. I could easily be wrong, but have never heard planking being used as a racial slur.

Star_Cards
07-11-2011, 02:05 PM

I though he meant more about the replied in the thread than to that of xzibit's tweet.

OnePimpTiger
07-11-2011, 02:06 PM

1. He said it was racist

or

Ok, he wasn't calling planking racist...so what did he mean by it?

duane1969
07-11-2011, 02:13 PM

I am confused. Do you agree or disagree that he is calling planking a racists statement?

habsheaven
07-11-2011, 02:24 PM
I am confused. Do you agree or disagree that he is calling planking a racists statement?

My last comment was directed at everyone in general about how they read things into each other's comments on the P&R board after reading Star Cards' comments. It was not directed at the thread topic itself. I thought I made my position clear in my first post on the subject.

OnePimpTiger
07-11-2011, 02:30 PM
My last comment was directed at everyone in general about how they read things into each other's comments on the P&R board after reading Star Cards' comments. It was not directed at the thread topic itself. I thought I made my position clear in my first post on the subject.

I had forgot about your earlier post...sorry about that!

sanfran22
07-11-2011, 02:31 PM
I though he meant more about the replied in the thread than to that of xzibit's tweet.
Yeah, didn't read it that way. My bad....

Star_Cards
07-11-2011, 02:34 PM
HUGS FOR EVERYONE!!! lol

habsheaven
07-11-2011, 02:55 PM
Actually this whole subject reminds me of a funny incident at my daughter's graduation ceremony. One of her classmates decided to "plank" after receiving his diploma. Upon seeing him, the old lady behind me exclaimed, "Awwww, poor fella tripped, it always happens to someone at these things." I tried to explain it to her but it went right over her head. She thought I was nuts.

duane1969
07-11-2011, 03:08 PM

I thought that was what you meant. I took it the right way ;)

duane1969
07-11-2011, 03:09 PM
Actually this whole subject reminds me of a funny incident at my daughter's graduation ceremony. One of her classmates decided to "plank" after receiving his diploma. Upon seeing him, the old lady behind me exclaimed, "Awwww, poor fella tripped, it always happens to someone at these things." I tried to explain it to her but it went right over her head. She thought I was nuts.

Great. So now the term "planking" means falling on your face at a public event...

Now everytime someone falls down Xzibit will have to tweet about it :sign0020:

duwal
07-11-2011, 03:19 PM

well Xzibit is currently one of the members on Extreme Home Makeover so for the past few years he's actually been helping out more American families than you or I or anyone else on these message boards so it sounds like his career path is going very well

redsoxx11
07-11-2011, 03:47 PM
well Xzibit is currently one of the members on Extreme Home Makeover so for the past few years he's actually been helping out more American families than you or I or anyone else on these message boards so it sounds like his career path is going very well

Don't tell them that, we'll have 5 pages about how minorities are getting all the good houses on TV

duane1969
07-11-2011, 07:13 PM

I have seen his cars...don't want him designing my house LOL

In all seriousness, he is getting ready to release his first album in 5 years. This is all about publicity.

habsheaven
07-11-2011, 07:49 PM
I have seen his cars...don't want him designing my house LOL

In all seriousness, he is getting ready to release his first album in 5 years. This is all about publicity.

No doubt.

sanfran22
07-11-2011, 10:30 PM
Don't tell them that, we'll have 5 pages about how minorities are getting all the good houses on TV
Nice assumption. I actually can't remember when the last time they built a house for a minority on that show. But thanks for putting words in everyone's mouth....Race baiting doesn't get anyone anywhere.....

Star_Cards
07-12-2011, 09:45 AM

yeah, I don't see xzibit going by the way of jesse jackson or all sharpton. He seems to be keeping himself well employed.

AUTaxMan
07-12-2011, 10:03 AM

I'm sure he's just doing it out of detached and disinterested generosity too.