PDA

View Full Version : Where the federal budget really goes towards...

andrewhoya
07-11-2011, 10:23 PM
Everyone who works for the Department of the Interior just received an iPad for free.... for "work purposes".

Always reassuring to know we have some smart business people running this country.

sanfran22
07-11-2011, 10:28 PM
lol, well apple thanks you, the taxpayer.....

Bluedogcards
07-11-2011, 10:28 PM
Am still using an etch-a-sketch

Star_Cards
07-12-2011, 10:03 AM
I know some business who have people on ipads only. I wonder if these ipads are extra or replacing laptops and desktops.

AUTaxMan
07-12-2011, 10:31 AM
I know some business who have people on ipads only. I wonder if these ipads are extra or replacing laptops and desktops.

They aren't replacing laptops or desktops in any businesses that I know of. They are just an extra tool.

Star_Cards
07-12-2011, 11:23 AM
They aren't replacing laptops or desktops in any businesses that I know of. They are just an extra tool.

Some are, but yes most are extra tools.

redsoxx11
07-12-2011, 12:05 PM
David Vitter's hooker bill

andrewhoya
07-12-2011, 12:09 PM

Nope, just as an added "perk". They were below the budget for the year, so instead of spending on something that could have actually been useful to what they are supposed to be doing, they get everyone an iPad to keep their budget where it is at for the next year, when they prove that they dont even need the full budget.

Star_Cards
07-12-2011, 12:12 PM
here a big issue I find with government budgets and budgets in general. Most division will spend surpluses like this because if they have a surplus to give back they will get less of a budget for the next year. I get the thinking but that system just doesn't really breed the habit of coming in under budget. Seems like this ipad purchase is a product of this.

redsoxx11
07-12-2011, 12:13 PM
The Department of Interior plans to purchase and distribute Apple iPads to see how the devices can improve worker productivity,” Elizabeth Montalbano reports for InformationWeek.

“The move is part of a larger acquisition of Apple hardware products the department plans to make and mirrors similar moves by businesses to experiment with giving employees iPads and similar tablet devices to see how it affects job performance,” Montalbano reports. “Interior is seeking to acquire the tablet devices, which will be “used in personal productivity and visual media” within the department, as part of a two-year, firm fixed price indefinite-delivery contract, according to a public request for proposals posted on FedConnect. The contract period will begin April 1. Other products Interior seeks to buy in the acquisition include MacBook Pro and Air notebooks, and MacPro, iMac, and MacMini desktops.”

So they are swtiching over to Apple... what's the problem. Most of the DELL computers are garbage and out dated ( in other words they spend more on tech support then it would cost to get new stuff). More conservative feigned outrage about 1/2 a story strikes again.

andrewhoya
07-12-2011, 12:15 PM
here a big issue I find with government budgets and budgets in general. Most division will spend surpluses like this because if they have a surplus to give back they will get less of a budget for the next year. I get the thinking but that system just doesn't really breed the habit of coming in under budget. Seems like this ipad purchase is a product of this.

I know why they would spend the money- to ensure they have it for the next year. But, why not spend it on something they are supposed to be doing?

The Department of Interior plans to purchase and distribute Apple iPads to see how the devices can improve worker productivity,” Elizabeth Montalbano reports for InformationWeek.

“The move is part of a larger acquisition of Apple hardware products the department plans to make and mirrors similar moves by businesses to experiment with giving employees iPads and similar tablet devices to see how it affects job performance,” Montalbano reports. “Interior is seeking to acquire the tablet devices, which will be “used in personal productivity and visual media” within the department, as part of a two-year, firm fixed price indefinite-delivery contract, according to a public request for proposals posted on FedConnect. The contract period will begin April 1. Other products Interior seeks to buy in the acquisition include MacBook Pro and Air notebooks, and MacPro, iMac, and MacMini desktops.”

So they are swtiching over to Apple... what's the problem. Most of the DELL computers are garbage and out dated. More conservative feigned outrage about 1/2 a story strikes again.

They say that to cover up the "waste, fraud, and abuse", as said by an interior worker herself.

redsoxx11
07-12-2011, 12:18 PM
I know why they would spend the money- to ensure they have it for the next year. But, why not spend it on something they are supposed to be doing?

They say that to cover up the "waste, fraud, and abuse", as said by an interior worker herself.

Where is your source ?

andrewhoya
07-12-2011, 12:21 PM
Where is your source ?

Don't have a source, it was said straight to my face.

AUTaxMan
07-12-2011, 12:24 PM

That's exactly what happens with all budgets, not just those relating to the federal government. If money is allocated and unspent, the budget will most likely be reduced for the following year, so people make sure to spend at least as much as they have been allocated, and in many instances more than allocated so they can ask for more the following year.

redsoxx11
07-12-2011, 12:37 PM
Don't have a source, it was said straight to my face.

sure it was

Star_Cards
07-12-2011, 12:47 PM
[QUOTE=andrewhoya;10064015]I know why they would spend the money- to ensure they have it for the next year. But, why not spend it on something they are supposed to be doing?

Oh I agree with you 100%. Myself it would be better if they didn't spend it at all... or at least could save it in case the need more funds the next year.

although, depending on what they are using ipads for, this could be something they can use for work. Most people have ipads for games and facebook, but there are a lot of productive uses as well. I guess I'd need to know what they plan to do on them and if it's better than their previous way before judging completely.

*censored*
07-12-2011, 12:49 PM
Am still using an etch-a-sketch

You and your crazy technologies...

I'm still working off a stone slab, hammer, and chisel.

Star_Cards
07-12-2011, 01:14 PM
That's exactly what happens with all budgets, not just those relating to the federal government. If money is allocated and unspent, the budget will most likely be reduced for the following year, so people make sure to spend at least as much as they have been allocated, and in many instances more than allocated so they can ask for more the following year.

yeah, I know this. that's why I said "government budgets and budgets in general". I understand the premise, but it breeds wasteful spending at times.

andrewhoya
07-12-2011, 01:40 PM
sure it was

Boy, this section of the forum was so peaceful for a few days a few days ago.

andrewhoya
07-12-2011, 01:41 PM
[QUOTE=andrewhoya;10064015]I know why they would spend the money- to ensure they have it for the next year. But, why not spend it on something they are supposed to be doing?

Oh I agree with you 100%. Myself it would be better if they didn't spend it at all... or at least could save it in case the need more funds the next year.

although, depending on what they are using ipads for, this could be something they can use for work. Most people have ipads for games and facebook, but there are a lot of productive uses as well. I guess I'd need to know what they plan to do on them and if it's better than their previous way before judging completely.

My Dad, who works for Indian Affairs, part of DOI, said they do not need to bring it to work at all. He said he gets to keep it at home, and just return it when/if he ever leaves.

redsoxx11
07-12-2011, 01:53 PM

Quit sniviling, if you don't like it go to the freeper page or Sarah Palin's FB page where all disenting opinions are deleted on site.

andrewhoya
07-12-2011, 02:10 PM
Quit sniviling, if you don't like it go to the freeper page or Sarah Palin's FB page where all disenting opinions are deleted on site.

Just speaking the truth. You don't have to believe me, but you could have said something like "I'll believe it when I see it", or something of the sort. But really, "sure it was"? Cmon now.

redsoxx11
07-12-2011, 02:13 PM
Just speaking the truth. You don't have to believe me, but you could have said something like "I'll believe it when I see it", or something of the sort. But really, "sure it was"? Cmon now.

You sure do like to tell people how to think, just like the 4 pages of crying to did when I said I didn't care it Hansen cheats on his wife.

duwal
07-12-2011, 02:39 PM

I've been here for years and this forum has NEVER been peaceful, there are cheap shots and insults posted every day, whether it was today or August 3rd, 2009 or.... :sign0020:

Bluedogcards
07-12-2011, 04:00 PM
You and your crazy technologies...

I'm still working off a stone slab, hammer, and chisel.

I really need to catch up with the times, i just cant see wasting that money for my own use

Bluedogcards
07-12-2011, 04:09 PM
yeah, I know this. that's why I said "government budgets and budgets in general". I understand the premise, but it breeds wasteful spending at times.

I was in the Air Force and did the budgets for my section and i the money was not spent we lost it for next year. we had a dream list, if there was extra at the end year we went to the dream list, 99% of the time it was used for equipment to make our jobs better,

I dont see a use for the Ipads they have a desk and a computer there,, they need to sit down and do there work, and not use it for other things. we will have to wait and see over time for waste and abuse cases

andrewhoya
07-12-2011, 04:09 PM
You sure do like to tell people how to think, just like the 4 pages of crying to did when I said I didn't care it Hansen cheats on his wife.
Just the rude ones....

I've been here for years and this forum has NEVER been peaceful, there are cheap shots and insults posted every day, whether it was today or August 3rd, 2009 or.... :sign0020:

I guess I should have said that these past few days did not have as many ill advised, weird, or rude posts as the previous had :smokin:

redsoxx11
07-12-2011, 04:10 PM
Just the rude ones....

I guess I should have said that these past few days did not have as many ill advised, weird, or rude posts as the previous had :smokin:

Whats rude is telling someone they need to live by your moral compass.

andrewhoya
07-12-2011, 04:11 PM
I was in the Air Force and did the budgets for my section and i the money was not spent we lost it for next year. we had a dream list, if there was extra at the end year we went to the dream list, 99% of the time it was used for equipment to make our jobs better,

I dont see a use for the Ipads they have a desk and a computer there,, they need to sit down and do there work, and not use it for other things. we will have to wait and see over time for waste and abuse cases

This is what the $$ should be used for; not for catching up on the newly released levels of Angry Birds :typing:

Many of the people who were getting them already had one in the first place, too.

andrewhoya
07-12-2011, 04:11 PM
Whats rude is telling someone they need to live by your moral compass.

Don't think I ever told you how to live your life. You seem to be happy the way you are doing it AWS.

andrewhoya
07-12-2011, 07:27 PM
Just found out that they were already given laptops and blackberries in the past months. This is just seen as another "toy".

sanfran22
07-12-2011, 07:28 PM
Just found out that they were already given laptops and blackberries in the past months. This is just seen as another "toy".
Lol, oops....

duane1969
07-12-2011, 07:43 PM
I work for the county school district in the Technology Department so I feel a little connected to this.

My thought is simple. How many people who received iPads actually know how to use them. As someone who works with county level administration, school level administration, teachers, teacher's aides, special ed aides, etc., I can atest that probably no more than 1 in 25 staff members are what I would call "savvy computer users" and no more than 2 or 3 would be classified as advanced users, leaving the remaining to fill the gap between novice to outright non-users.

What is my point? The state government mandates that every teacher have a computer in their classroom designated for them to use and another group use computer in all work areas, yet they do nothing to ensure that the computers are actually used or can be used effectively.

That is the way government works. They do not plan for success or effectiveness, they just plan and let the chips fall where they may.

andrewhoya
07-12-2011, 08:01 PM
I work for the county school district in the Technology Department so I feel a little connected to this.

My thought is simple. How many people who received iPads actually know how to use them. As someone who works with county level administration, school level administration, teachers, teacher's aides, special ed aides, etc., I can atest that probably no more than 1 in 25 staff members are what I would call "savvy computer users" and no more than 2 or 3 would be classified as advanced users, leaving the remaining to fill the gap between novice to outright non-users.

What is my point? The state government mandates that every teacher have a computer in their classroom designated for them to use and another group use computer in all work areas, yet they do nothing to ensure that the computers are actually used or can be used effectively.

That is the way government works. They do not plan for success or effectiveness, they just plan and let the chips fall where they may.

In our county, every teacher goes through training on electronic programs.

andrewhoya
07-12-2011, 08:02 PM
And another problem that I (and many of the workers have) is that the government mis-managed millions of dollars, and was forced to spend it all in a 3-4 week period.