PDA

View Full Version : Are we really not talking about the News Corp. scandal?

pghin08
07-19-2011, 11:14 PM
Good lord, Fox News itself is mentioning it more than on here. What are all of your thoughts on this?

AUTaxMan
07-20-2011, 10:37 AM
I think it would be because nobody in the US cares about a scandal involving British newspapers.

Star_Cards
07-20-2011, 10:50 AM
yeah, I agree with AUTaxman. If this were happening to a US newspaper I think people would be discussing it more. I did see that Murdock got a shaving cream pie in the face yesterday at a hearing. That was quite odd.

sanfran22
07-20-2011, 11:22 AM
Those crazy brits.....It doesn't sound good though from what I've heard. But I think it's a tabloid issue correct? I laugh when I see lefty sites pinning it on fox news. Kinda like no one on here brought up the palin email garbage....

ffman
07-20-2011, 01:40 PM
Of course we aren't talking about it. It doesn't involve Democrats vs. Republicans.

pghin08
07-20-2011, 03:03 PM
Of course we aren't talking about it. It doesn't involve Democrats vs. Republicans.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner. But I hear nobody blaming this on Fox News, because that's ridiculous. But it should warrant a closer look at News Corp (and it's subsidiaries) practices.

duwal
07-20-2011, 07:52 PM
because posting something like this wouldn't entice an argument

pghin08
07-21-2011, 12:13 PM
because posting something like this wouldn't entice an argument

I know. I'm a terrible rabble-rouser.

gatorboymike
07-21-2011, 01:55 PM
I know. I'm a terrible rabble-rouser.

Is there rabble in need of rousing round these here parts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3SfSBjo7YE

pghin08
07-21-2011, 06:24 PM
I've never understood why we seem to have a fascination with attacking each other with delicious desserts. "I hate you! Hope you like cherries!"

Hairylemon
07-22-2011, 10:08 AM
The idiot who attacked Murdoch took away all the good work the commitee were doing making the Murdochs look bad. I can understand why you Americans are not overly interested as it doesn't directly affect any Americans yet. But, the rumour doing the rounds our side of the pond is that Murdochs minions tried to hire an ex NY cop to hack the phones of 9/11 victims families, if this is true I would expect the brown stuff to hit the fan your side of the pond.

For what it's worth it is really amusing seeing Murdoch take a hammering, he is a nasty and spiteful human being and now is getting a taste of his own medicine.

sanfran22
07-22-2011, 10:19 AM
The idiot who attacked Murdoch took away all the good work the commitee were doing making the Murdochs look bad. I can understand why you Americans are not overly interested as it doesn't directly affect any Americans yet. But, the rumour doing the rounds our side of the pond is that Murdochs minions tried to hire an ex NY cop to hack the phones of 9/11 victims families, if this is true I would expect the brown stuff to hit the fan your side of the pond.

For what it's worth it is really amusing seeing Murdoch take a hammering, he is a nasty and spiteful human being and now is getting a taste of his own medicine.
What makes you say that? Secondly, it was employees not Murdoch doing the garbage, correct? If he was tied to this directly I'd understand the outrage. Has he been?

Star_Cards
07-22-2011, 11:16 AM
I've never understood why we seem to have a fascination with attacking each other with delicious desserts. "I hate you! Hope you like cherries!"

"like"

his wife/GF is pretty hot. I wonder what she sees in him being 30-40 years younger... hmmm...

pghin08
07-22-2011, 11:40 AM
What makes you say that? Secondly, it was employees not Murdoch doing the garbage, correct? If he was tied to this directly I'd understand the outrage. Has he been?

It looks like a lot of News Corp. execs were directly involved. And I know from working in the investment biz how "hands on" of a boss Rupert is. That being said, I'm not convinced he had any significant hand in this. News of the World is such a small part of the News Corp giant, and I just have difficulty believing that Murdoch spends a truly significant amount of time on it.

Hairylemon
07-22-2011, 10:13 PM

Check out what uncle Rupert did to the print workers and journo's of his UK papers back in the 80's. This is a power hungry guy. I don't for one second believe that Murdoch did not know what was going on at his papers . Rupert likes to lead from the front.

INTIMADATOR2007
07-23-2011, 01:10 AM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111903461104576460393481721896.html

The U.S. Justice Department is preparing subpoenas as part of preliminary investigations into News Corp. relating to alleged foreign bribery and alleged hacking of voicemail of Sept. 11 victims, according to a government official.

The Justice Department has said it is looking into allegations that News Corp.'s now-defunct News of the World weekly in the U.K. paid bribes to British police. It has been unclear whether the Justice Department or the SEC have begun formal probes

A person close to News Corp. said the preparation of subpoenas is "a fishing expedition with no evidence to support it."

Hairylemon
07-23-2011, 02:21 AM
There is too much going on for Murdoch to claim he knew nothing about it. Former editor Andy Coulson re arrested, former editor and ceo Rebekah Brooks arrested. Under Brooks watch the NOTW hacked into missing schoolgirl Milly Dowlers cell and deleted messages, this lead her family to believe she was still ok. Milly Dowler was later found murdered. Also it is believed NOTW hacked into the cell phones of the parents of two murdered girls in Soham UK.

Uncle Rupert not only employed Brooks and made her editor of NOTW he later made her CEO of NI. He also refused to accept her resignation three times before she finally went. I don't believe for one second Murdoch was oblivious to what was going on.

As for the FBI investigation into 9/11 families hacking, I have a feeling this will go nowhere, it looks as if the ex cop who was approached by NI told them to get lost.

sanfran22
07-23-2011, 11:18 AM
Check out what uncle Rupert did to the print workers and journo's of his UK papers back in the 80's. This is a power hungry guy. I don't for one second believe that Murdoch did not know what was going on at his papers . Rupert likes to lead from the front.
Are you talking about the unions?

duane1969
07-23-2011, 09:50 PM

Yeah I always thought that a cow pie made more sense in these situations...but maybe that is just me :confused0024:

pghin08
07-25-2011, 10:22 AM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111903461104576460393481721896.html

The U.S. Justice Department is preparing subpoenas as part of preliminary investigations into News Corp. relating to alleged foreign bribery and alleged hacking of voicemail of Sept. 11 victims, according to a government official.

The Justice Department has said it is looking into allegations that News Corp.'s now-defunct News of the World weekly in the U.K. paid bribes to British police. It has been unclear whether the Justice Department or the SEC have begun formal probes

A person close to News Corp. said the preparation of subpoenas is "a fishing expedition with no evidence to support it."

I'm inclined to agree with this, when it comes to U.S. issues with News Corp. I haven't heard anything to make me feel as if the wrongdoing crossed the Atlantic. The Brits have far more evidence against News of the World than the US.

I don't think News Corp is a particularly ethical corporation (though honestly, I'd say that about MOST corporations), but I've never seen evidence of any of its legit subsidiaries in the US (Barrons, WSJ--both of which I use on an almost daily basis at work), and even the slanted Fox News, using any of the "News of the World" tactics.