PDA

View Full Version : Just how ignorant is Michele Bachmann....

theonedru
07-27-2011, 02:12 PM
In 2006, she argued against an antibullying bill, saying at the time:

"I think for all us our experience in public schools is there have always been bullies, always have been, always will be. I just don't know how we're ever going to get to point of zero tolerance and what does it mean? ... What will be our definition of bullying? Will it get to the point where we are completely stifling free speech and expression? Will it mean that what form of behavior will there beŚwill we be expecting boys to be girls?"

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/bachmann-criticized-silence-suicides-her-district-154953090.html

This woman has serious issues. Who backs scum like this?

gatorboymike
07-27-2011, 02:44 PM
I've heard of slippery slope fallacies, but this takes it to a whole new level.

jlzinck
07-27-2011, 03:23 PM
In 2006, she argued against an antibullying bill, saying at the time:

" I think for all us our experience in public schools is there have always been bullies, always have been, always will be.I just don't know how we're ever going to get to point of zero tolerance and what does it mean? ... What will be our definition of bullying? Will it get to the point where we are completely stifling free speech and expression? Will it mean that what form of behavior will there beŚwill we be expecting boys to be girls?"

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/bachmann-criticized-silence-suicides-her-district-154953090.html

This woman has serious issues. Who backs scum like this?

Really?!?!?!
Let's break this down....
"I think for all us our experience in public schools is there have always been bullies, always have been, always will be." Can you argue this?

"I just don't know how we're ever going to get to point of zero tolerance and what does it mean?" Zero tolerance standards are a slippery slope by themselves...if you back xero tolerances you must agree with California's 3 strike law where someone with 2 convictions can go to jail for life after a 3rd conviction. ZERO TOLERANCE there. How can this be done? If a kid laughs at another kid because he's fat or wearing ratty clothes this would fall under Zero tolerence in some eyes.

Will it get to the point where we are completely stifling free speech and expression? Public schools preach and teach more liberal standards that private schools. So if a kid in a class says "I believe that illegal aliens should be deported and there is an illegal isn't that bullying?

Will it mean that what form of behavior will there beŚwill we be expecting boys to be girls?" ÖÖÖ...I have no clue what this means!

While I am not in the Bachmann supporter I can't unterstand how you get scum from this quote.

I'm still trying to understand why she is a Tea Party favorite as he family benefits from both farm subsidies and Medicaid/Medicare programs.

duane1969
07-27-2011, 03:56 PM
I think it more logic than anything. You simply can not watch every kid all the time. Bullying will happen. If not on the playground then in the bathroom...or in bus hall...or on the bus...or at the bus stop...or at the park. Total elimination is virtually impossible.

At some point in time the bullied kid has to stand up for themselves. I was bullied all of elementary school and part of middle school until I beat a kid senseless in front of the entire school. I was never bullied again.

For the record, what is the definition of bullying? If a kid feels intimidated does that automatically make it bullying? If somebody laughs at another kid does that qualify as bullying? Subjectiveness makes it difficult to define.

I realize that there are cases where it is over the top and needs to be dealt with. But how much teaching will teachers get done if they are constantly being the social patrolmen ? How about the parents teach their kids to be a better person for a change instead of the government employees doing the parents jobs?

AUTaxMan
07-27-2011, 03:58 PM
What is wrong with what she said?

duane1969
07-27-2011, 04:19 PM
But he added that anti-gay rhetoric like Bachmann's can "negatively impact" kids who are already at risk.

So apprently if you speak out against homosexuality it is anti-gay rhetoric. Personally I think that entire article is full of anti-intellect rhetoric...

andrewhoya
07-27-2011, 04:44 PM
I think it more logic than anything. You simply can not watch every kid all the time. Bullying will happen. If not on the playground then in the bathroom...or in bus hall...or on the bus...or at the bus stop...or at the park. Total elimination is virtually impossible.

At some point in time the bullied kid has to stand up for themselves. I was bullied all of elementary school and part of middle school until I beat a kid senseless in front of the entire school. I was never bullied again.

For the record, what is the definition of bullying? If a kid feels intimidated does that automatically make it bullying? If somebody laughs at another kid does that qualify as bullying? Subjectiveness makes it difficult to define.

I realize that there are cases where it is over the top and needs to be dealt with. But how much teaching will teachers get done if they are constantly being the social patrolmen ? How about the parents teach their kids to be a better person for a change instead of the government employees doing the parents jobs?

Took the words right out of my mouth.

I was bullied all of elementary school and part of middle school until I beat a kid senseless in front of the entire school.

Go Duane!! :fighting0049::fighting0049:

What is wrong with what she said?

Wondering the same thing.

duane1969
07-27-2011, 06:30 PM
Go Duane!! :fighting0049::fighting0049:

LOL

I should add that I do not advocate fighting and have made it clear to all 3 of my kids that if they ever start a fight then they will have to face daddy when they get home. So far, so good.

By the same measure, I also teach my kids that if they are defending themselves against another that they should not hesitate to defend themselves to the maximum.

theonedru
07-27-2011, 06:58 PM
Because taking the "oh we will never solve it so road is both pathetic and cowardly" You face it and solve the issue not let it slide.

And by beating up the bully do you not in turn become the bully?

andrewhoya
07-27-2011, 07:01 PM
Because taking the "oh we will never solve it so road is both pathetic and cowardly" You face it and solve the issue not let it slide.

Not at all.

And she is right. We never will solve it. So why watse millions trying to?

theonedru
07-27-2011, 07:02 PM
First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists and I did not speak out because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists and I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me.

never be afraid to speak out or stand up for what is good and pure in this world as there is so little of it left.

theonedru
07-27-2011, 07:02 PM
Not at all.

And she is right. We never will solve it. So why watse millions trying to?

Because life is worth it.

andrewhoya
07-27-2011, 07:16 PM
Because life is worth it.

Yes- life is worth it- but the money put towards that bill could be used in a hundred different ways to help preserve life, as well.

theonedru
07-27-2011, 07:25 PM
Yes- life is worth it- but the money put towards that bill could be used in a hundred different ways to help preserve life, as well.

exactly, this is just of those ways in which you make life a little better for those who feel opressed in some way. To provide them even a sliver of respect and dignity at a young age can last a lifetime and would be worth every penny

sanfran22
07-27-2011, 09:43 PM
I don't even need to read the link to know that this bill would be a stupid as a hate crime bill. Do we really want to legislate everything? Are we becoming that pansy of a nation that we have to have "big daddy gov't" there to defend us on every turn.
Such a sad ,sad commentary on the what we are becoming.

OnePimpTiger
07-27-2011, 09:46 PM
Anti-bullying rules/laws are exactly the same as "hate crime" legislation...criminal/unacceptable behavior should be punished regardless of how/why it occurs.

And I know I'll get blasted for this, but it is part of growing up and preparing you for the real world. As duane said, there are always extreme cases which should be handled on a one-by-one basis, but how are you preparing a child for the real world by protecting them from ever being picked on? It's the same idea of giving everyone a trophy, making everyone valedictorian, not giving grades, etc. In this world, there is and always will be disappointment, people who pick on you, times when you lose, bad grades/evaluations, etc, etc, etc. Protecting children from these things only set them up for harder falls when they reach the real world. I would rather teach my kids how to deal with bullies rather than lie to them by making them think they don't exist.

sanfran22
07-27-2011, 09:50 PM
I just read the article and all I need to say is "seriously?" I think the left is losing it. Maybe next we can go comb through Sarah Palins emails to find "something of interest". Oh, wait. Come on...............

mrveggieman
07-27-2011, 09:57 PM

+1:cheer2: I love it. If you are going to put your hands on someone's child you deserve to get you tail kicked. Good job Duane.

tutall
07-27-2011, 10:30 PM

Its called sticking up for yourself... When my son gets to that age I hope he does the same. I hope if someone hits him or picks on him he defends himself. Bullying is part of growing up. Some people take it to extreme and those people need to be dealt with but honestly I think a blanket statement or a bill passed by congress is a little ridiculous. I think they need to focus on things that are a little bigger than bullying. Try economic and foreign policy or something to help deal with immigration not whether Johnny is picking on Sam on the playground.... Let schools and local jurisdictions deal with that

theonedru
07-28-2011, 06:39 AM
Its called sticking up for yourself... When my son gets to that age I hope he does the same. I hope if someone hits him or picks on him he defends himself. Bullying is part of growing up. Some people take it to extreme and those people need to be dealt with but honestly I think a blanket statement or a bill passed by congress is a little ridiculous. I think they need to focus on things that are a little bigger than bullying. Try economic and foreign policy or something to help deal with immigration not whether Johnny is picking on Sam on the playground.... Let schools and local jurisdictions deal with that

So your perfectly ok with kids abusing kids.... What if its a 14 yo bullying a 5 y.o. is that ok after all they are just kids right. Abuse is wrong no matter what when will people wake up and realize that, next people will say its ok for adults to abuse and bully adults.....

tutall
07-28-2011, 08:34 AM
So your perfectly ok with kids abusing kids.... What if its a 14 yo bullying a 5 y.o. is that ok after all they are just kids right. Abuse is wrong no matter what when will people wake up and realize that, next people will say its ok for adults to abuse and bully adults.....

I never said all bullying was ok...

Some people take it to extreme and those people need to be dealt with

But I am against congress passing a bill that has language that is up to someone else to say what it means. Leave it up to the educators and the school systems to make a policy that fits their school system and can be enforced on a local level

duane1969
07-28-2011, 09:36 AM

No, it is called standing up for yourself.

First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists and I did not speak out because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists and I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me.

never be afraid to speak out or stand up for what is good and pure in this world as there is so little of it left.

We are the world, we are the people...yada, yada, yada. This whole liberal concept that we have to fix everyone else's problems with legislation and spending taxpayer dollars is getting a little old.

exactly, this is just of those ways in which you make life a little better for those who feel opressed in some way. To provide them even a sliver of respect and dignity at a young age can last a lifetime and would be worth every penny

Yes, because passing a bill and spending millions will fix everything, right? Before the ink has dried on the paper bullies around the country will suddenly starting loving on the short fat kid instead of beating him up. Dude, take off your rose colored glasses. Just because the govt. makes it a law doesn't mean it fixes everything. Just ask the slaves how the whole Emancapation Proclamation worked out for them.

But I am against congress passing a bill that has language that is up to someone else to say what it means. Leave it up to the educators and the school systems to make a policy that fits their school system and can be enforced on a local level

Ironicly, schools already have a policy on bullying. It seems they have been dealing with the issue for quite a while and don't need a bill or law to figure out how to deal with it.

pghin08
09-01-2011, 04:26 PM
Seriously. This bullying thing is getting out of control.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MESt9buQcT4&feature=player_embedded

andrewhoya
09-01-2011, 05:21 PM
Seriously. This bullying thing is getting out of control.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MESt9buQcT4&feature=player_embedded

That's got to have been planned and practiced. Unless it is an old lady who lives in a shoe videotaping and she has nothing else important to do besides videotape cats playing in a shoebox.

pghin08
09-01-2011, 06:33 PM
That's got to have been planned and practiced. Unless it is an old lady who lives in a shoe videotaping and she has nothing else important to do besides videotape cats playing in a shoebox.

That makes it more impressive. Plus the one cat looks like an adorable little lion.

duwal
09-02-2011, 04:35 PM
I don't see how you can call her scum or the statement ignorant. I think the ignorance is on those that think that bullying is something that can be stopped. Its like a much smaller scale on the fight to stop terrorism. Both will always be around with no way to defeat it.