PDA

View Full Version : Indy trip--Jimmie Jam and more

ajwest92
07-31-2011, 08:10 AM
Last Thursday, Me and my wife Angie went to Indy for Jimmie Jam.

When Angie found out about winning the tix, she was very excited about going to the point that she got us a hotel room for the night.We left the house Thursday afternoon and got to the hotel to unpack. Then we went downtown Indy to go to the Circle Center Mall (it was OK) and to eat at the Hard Rock Cafe (awesome as always). After that, we headed to our car, picked up my diecast, and made our way to the Roof Ballroom for the concert. The doors opened and 8:30 and I headed straight to the bar. You can always tell how good the place is by their mixed drinks and my Jim & Coke was gooooooood....couldn't even taste the Coke.

At 9 PM, the show started with the host Rutledge Wood coming out and warming up the crowd. After the usual thank you from the Lowe's higher-ups (most of the crowd were Lowe's employees or from their contractors who buy from them--only 100 people won from the fan club) the men of the hour Jimmie Johnson and musical guest Craig Morgan came out to swap stories. The they handed out a few door prizes--race tickets, Jimmie's Chevy raffle, and the Jimmie Jam autographed guitar. I didn't win any of them, but I wasn't too upset.

After a few minutes they let Craig go to the back and get ready for the show and Jimmie took a few questions from the crowd. They ranged from "Who were your racing heroes when you started out?" to "When you wake up in the morning, do you **** excellence?". After they got the cue that Craig was ready to perform, Rut got off the stage but Jimmie didn't. Instead, he pulled out a Sharpie out of his back pocket and started signing autographs!!!

All I could hear from Angie was "go, go, go" as she handed me her Tweety car. I got up to the stage and held it out for Jimmie to sign. After a few minutes, I got the car signed. Off to Angie and get my '03 Power of Pride car. After a few more minutes, my car was signed. I got out of the sea of humanity and Angie hands me her ticket, which was more like a hard card. Again, I took a deep breath, went back into the crowd, and got it signed. I was done by then...

Here is the pic for the signed swag...

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll45/ajwest92/autographed%20die%20casts/Memories.jpg

After listening to a set from Craig, we decided to call it a night and go to the hotel...Angie was so happy for the sigs that she wanted to go to IMS tomorrow morning. I printed out directions just in case, but didn't think about wanting to go. But she wanted to go now that we didn't have Lauren and we could enjoy ourselves.

So we went...we had a great time other than the mad dash for the autograph wristbands at the gates (200 grown men running for 150 wristbands isn't pretty) and the heat was getting bad at 10:30 AM. We toured the IMS museum, (highly recommended--well worth the $5 fee), hit the souvenir rigs for T shirts for the family, 48 earrings for Angie, and a 2011 Indy 500 program for me. We even got a few freebies from the Chevy tent. At 12:30, we left for home and talked out plans about next year...who knows, maybe a racenext year if the chips fall our way...hopefully the 500?

Thanks for the read, Alex

Pmurdick25
07-31-2011, 08:22 AM
Awesome! Congrats on winning the tix. I hear jimmie is a class act in public.

ericmccoy75
07-31-2011, 09:02 AM
Awesome. Glad you guys had a great time.

skippy
07-31-2011, 09:34 AM
As always Alex fantastic pics and story. You have one very impressive collection going.

race crazy
07-31-2011, 08:30 PM
sweet!

ajwest92
08-07-2011, 03:03 AM
Here is a pic from Jimmie Jam from the Lowe's Racing website...try to find me (and my wife)...

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll45/ajwest92/jimmiejam11.jpg

nadeau01_johnson48
08-07-2011, 03:48 AM
Oh snap! I SEE BUCKEYES COLORS!!!