PDA

View Full Version : Catholic school principal fired for his racists beliefs

mrveggieman
08-03-2011, 12:44 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/catholic-school-principal-fired-white-supremacist-views-162941654.html

habsheaven
08-03-2011, 01:37 PM
Wow!! That is really scary. I'm not talking about his racist beliefs, those are disturbing too. I am talking about the fact nobody knew all this before he was hired? Who else do they have on their payroll?

Tivo32
08-04-2011, 03:48 AM
How in the world did no one spot this? If he had it on his Facebook page he apparently wasn't trying to hide it. That is very scary...

mrveggieman
08-04-2011, 08:19 AM
I wonder if anyone who posts on this forum will ever get fired for their hateful beliefs.

spuds1961
08-04-2011, 05:41 PM
I wonder if anyone who posts on this forum will ever get fired for their hateful beliefs.

I doubt it,who would go to a sportscard site to dig up dirt on somebody.

theonedru
08-04-2011, 07:54 PM
I am going out on a limb here and most likely be ridiculed by saying this. As much as racists disgust me they do have a right to hate and as such if his beliefs did not interfere with his job then he should not have been fired. As he has held his position for almost 3 years there would be a good track record to see if this is so.

habsheaven
08-04-2011, 08:30 PM
I am going out on a limb here and most likely be ridiculed by saying this. As much as racists disgust me they do have a right to hate and as such if his beliefs did not interfere with his job then he should not have been fired. As he has held his position for almost 3 years there would be a good track record to see if this is so.

Admittedly it may not have affected his job but that is not the only consideration. Just as important as the job he holds, is the position he holds. As a society you cannot allow people with views contrary to the public good to hold positions of influence over young impressionable minds.

theonedru
08-04-2011, 09:13 PM
Admittedly it may not have affected his job but that is not the only consideration. Just as important as the job he holds, is the position he holds. As a society you cannot allow people with views contrary to the public good to hold positions of influence over young impressionable minds.

It is the only consideration that matters really,its either affecting it or not if it is then he should be gone if you can't prove it has then they have discriminated against him persecuting him for his beliefs.

mrveggieman
08-05-2011, 08:15 AM
It is the only consideration that matters really,its either affecting it or not if it is then he should be gone if you can't prove it has then they have discriminated against him persecuting him for his beliefs.

It would have been poor public relations on the schools part if they would have kept the principal on board after finding out his racist views. If you are running a business with a large minority clientel in a area with a large minority population and you have a known racist working in a prominent position with them you are going to lose a lot of business as well as bring on a lot of unwanted negative attention. Also why would anyone respect him as the principal after finding out his racist viewpoints? I agree with the school's decision to fire him.

habsheaven
08-05-2011, 08:19 AM

There's no persecution. He can still continue on with his beliefs, he just can no longer represent the school. It's no different from any other line of work really. Sports, entertainment, politics, you name it. Many individuals are shown the door for behaviour and beliefs outside of the job that run contrary to the companies they represent.

duane1969
08-05-2011, 09:16 AM

Then you support the impeachment of Obama???

Sorry, I couldn't help myself :sign0020:

habsheaven
08-05-2011, 09:59 AM
Then you support the impeachment of Obama???

Sorry, I couldn't help myself :sign0020:
:frusty:

Star_Cards
08-05-2011, 11:50 AM

I definitely see your point and agree. I guess we can't say that his beliefs did or didn't interfere. I also see the school's right to distance themselves from him. As a teacher he represents his employer as well and his employer has the right to remove him if they see fit. Sort of similar to when R Mendenhall lost an endorsement when he spoke up about his thoughts on 9/11.

mrveggieman
08-05-2011, 12:24 PM
Although there are some similiarities between menhall's 9/11 remarks and the principal's racist remarks it is really more like comparing apples to oranges. Rashard Mendenhall is a ball player who...

Star_Cards
08-05-2011, 01:01 PM
yep. that's why I said sort of similar. the similar part being a person being fired for his personal views that his employer didn't want to be associated with. definitely worse of a situation when you're speaking about a principle.

mrveggieman
08-05-2011, 01:03 PM
yep. that's why I said sort of similar. the similar part being a person being fired for his personal views that his employer didn't want to be associated with. definitely worse of a situation when you're speaking about a principle.

Agree. :cheer2:

theonedru
08-07-2011, 12:29 PM
So its ok to discriminate against a person who has racist beliefs even though there may be no evidence it interfered with his job?

habsheaven
08-07-2011, 01:15 PM
So its ok to discriminate against a person who has racist beliefs even though there may be no evidence it interfered with his job?

I don't see how it is discrimination.

theonedru
08-07-2011, 01:24 PM
I don't see how it is discrimination.

read my orig posts and you may understand

habsheaven
08-07-2011, 03:05 PM
read my orig posts and you may understand

I understand your stance on the issue. I just don't believe it is discrimination. He has been found to have beliefs inconsistent with the position he holds, so they let him go. I see no problem with that. I cetainly do not see discrimination.

Let's say that they found out he was a promoter of pedophilia. In the 3 years on the job he has been squeeky clean. Does that mean he shouldn't be dismissed?

theonedru
08-07-2011, 10:10 PM
I understand your stance on the issue. I just don't believe it is discrimination. He has been found to have beliefs inconsistent with the position he holds, so they let him go. I see no problem with that. I cetainly do not see discrimination.

Let's say that they found out he was a promoter of pedophilia. In the 3 years on the job he has been squeeky clean. Does that mean he shouldn't be dismissed?

"He has been found to have beliefs inconsistent with the position he holds"

No he hold beliefs that society holds to be immoral, hence why he was fired which is wrong and the fact that people are ok with it because his is a racist I find deeply disturbing

habsheaven
08-08-2011, 08:10 AM

No he hold beliefs that society holds to be immoral, hence why he was fired which is wrong and the fact that people are ok with it because his is a racist I find deeply disturbing

Listen, if he was selling me fries, picking up my trash, washing my car, etc he can have whatever beliefs he wants. If he is seeing over my children, he has to be of a lot better character. I can't make it any clearer. The fact you do not understand the difference is disturbing.

lloydr04
08-08-2011, 08:25 AM

You'll get another job soon , dont worry.

Star_Cards
08-08-2011, 11:19 AM

I'm not exactly sure think about this statement. I see where you are coming from. I get that being a racist is a belief, but I wouldn't classify it like most normal beliefs similar to religion or something similar. For me this belief is much more of an issue than others when you deal with children and teachers of all races as a principal.

theonedru
08-08-2011, 02:48 PM
You'll get another job soon , dont worry.

what?:confused0024:

Star_Cards
08-08-2011, 02:59 PM
what?:confused0024:

lol. I'm guessing he was trying to be funny in saying that you were the discussed principal. that's my guess anyways. :)

AUTaxMan
08-08-2011, 03:07 PM
There is no such thing as a right to work. Your employer should be able to fire you for wearing black shoes to work if he wants. Most states are at-will employment states, and employers have the right to can employees for pretty much anything as long as it isn't for being a particular race, color, religion, age, sex, or national origin. There are some state-specific exceptions, but that's how it generally works and how it SHOULD work.

habsheaven
08-08-2011, 03:31 PM
There is no such thing as a right to work. Your employer should be able to fire you for wearing black shoes to work if he wants. Most states are at-will employment states, and employers have the right to can employees for pretty much anything as long as it isn't for being a particular race, color, religion, age, sex, or national origin. There are some state-specific exceptions, but that's how it generally works and how it SHOULD work.

Agreed, as long as PROPER NOTICE is given.

lloydr04
08-08-2011, 04:03 PM
lol. I'm guessing he was trying to be funny in saying that you were the discussed principal. that's my guess anyways. :)

Good guess ;)

Star_Cards
08-08-2011, 04:57 PM
Good guess ;)

I'm smart like that!!!