PDA

View Full Version : Best in your collection Final Round Voting

raptorbill
08-11-2011, 10:40 AM
Who has the best? Who will win? Vote Vote Vote! Spread the word about this voting! Lets get allot of votes!

Which is the best?

Jason Giambi COMPLETE GU Uniform from his 1st game as a Rockie September 1, 2009
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Basement/DSC07233.jpg

Lou Gehrig single signed baseball
http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k573/kcartercards/Baseball%20Memorabilia%20plus/LouGehrigsignedball.jpg?t=1311745682

xpress34
08-11-2011, 11:20 AM
Of Course I'm voting for myself!!!

:boxing: :smokin:

All the best -

Smitty

raptorbill
08-11-2011, 02:33 PM
Of Course I'm voting for myself!!!

:boxing: :smokin:

All the best -

Smitty

I didn't know you wanted your own stuff to win:sign0020::sign0020:

kcarter
08-11-2011, 04:56 PM
Deleted :)

kcarter
08-11-2011, 04:58 PM
Cmon smity its 12th round let's go out swinging.

Hilfiger1975
08-11-2011, 04:59 PM
No brainer...Lou Gehrig... :winking0071:

xpress34
08-11-2011, 07:01 PM
No brainer...Lou Gehrig... :winking0071:

I love the Gehrig as well, but I will make this argument:

There are other single signed Gehrig baseballs - some better, some worse - and it's date can be 'guessed' at best...

My Giambi Uni is truly 'one of a kind' (September call ups - even stars - only get one of each jersey/pant style for the month) - and it's PHOTOMATCHED to his double that won the game on Sept 2nd, 2009.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Memorabilia/Jerseys/JasonGiambiBIGPhoto.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Memorabilia/Jerseys/GiambiProof.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Memorabilia/Jerseys/Giambi1.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Memorabilia/Jerseys/GiambiNumberProof.jpg

Oh yeah, and that photo that it's matched to ended up as Giambi's 1st Rockies baseball card (2009 Topps Unique) - so MY jersey is FEATURED in a card set.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Memorabilia/Jerseys/scan0005.jpg

Cmon smity its 12th round let's go out swinging.

Was that enough body blows and upper cuts for you? :boxing:

Do you have any counter blows??? :confused0024: :winking0071:

- Smitty

kcarter
08-12-2011, 03:15 AM
its LOU FREAKIN GEHRIG! lol

Lou Gehrig | Jason giambi
(over 16 years of play on stats)
HOF yes | no
BA .340 | .281
HR 493 | 428
RBI 1995 | 1385
Al mvp 2x | 1x
Allstar 7x | 5x
Vintage yes | no
All century team | nope
luckiest man on earth | not lol

And rocky marciano(lou gehrig) hits jersey joe walcot(jason giambi) with the susyQ to criple him to the ground
http://www.brickcityboxing.com/media/marciano-walcott.jpg

xpress34
08-12-2011, 10:20 AM
Stats are stats...

If that is the criteria, I could pull out other items of players with better stats than Larapin' Lou...

If the criteria for best item is scarcity, rarity, etc....

I guess it all depends on how you look at it... ;)

raptorbill
08-12-2011, 10:43 AM
The Giambi is a 1/1

blackmamba_24
08-12-2011, 11:50 AM
For every 100 Babe Ruth signed baseball there is only one single signed Lou Gehrig baseball. Jason Giambi may be a 1/1 because that is his first game with that team no one cares about or less your a fan. If it was a Yankee's jersey it would mean more. But its not.

You can not compare Lou Gerhig to Giambi. Lou Gerhig is on a whole different level. Plus didn't Giambi get introuble with the Yanks because of steriods?? I forgot the whole deal. lol

Do your research on the Lou Gerhig and you will be shock on how rare and value it has.

This comment is just backing up Kcarter and my opinion. I love the giambi Xpress34. Hope you don't get mad about this comment. I ment it with the best regards. Just bored on this site and threw in my opinion. Sick Jersey as i told you before!!! :]

MacInnisCollector
08-12-2011, 12:06 PM
Both of them are superb memorabilia items in their own rights, but to cast a vote as to which one of these I'd rather have in my collection, I would go with the Gehrig baseball, no question. Kind of like apples and oranges comparing them (consider a Gehrig full game used uniform vs a Giambi signed baseball, and you see what I mean).

blackmamba_24
08-12-2011, 12:07 PM
Both of them are superb memorabilia items in their own rights, but to cast a vote as to which one of these I'd rather have in my collection, I would go with the Gehrig baseball, no question. Kind of like apples and oranges comparing them (consider a Gehrig full game used uniform vs a Giambi signed baseball, and you see what I mean).

Good point!

gators241987
08-12-2011, 02:07 PM
The Gehrig wins hands down in my opinion, just curious who did the COA?

Also, how did the Aaron signed jersey not gather more votes? Those sell for a ton.

xpress34
08-12-2011, 02:12 PM
For every 100 Babe Ruth signed baseball there is only one single signed Lou Gehrig baseball. Jason Giambi may be a 1/1 because that is his first game with that team no one cares about or less your a fan. If it was a Yankee's jersey it would mean more. But its not.

You can not compare Lou Gerhig to Giambi. Lou Gerhig is on a whole different level. Plus didn't Giambi get introuble with the Yanks because of steriods?? I forgot the whole deal. lol

Do your research on the Lou Gerhig and you will be shock on how rare and value it has.

This comment is just backing up Kcarter and my opinion. I love the giambi Xpress34. Hope you don't get mad about this comment. I ment it with the best regards. Just bored on this site and threw in my opinion. Sick Jersey as i told you before!!! :]

Mamba -

I understand where you are coming from (and I do think your comments about a team no one cares about was a little beneath you), but the comments now (kcarter's comparison of stats - your comment about steroids) - are we voting on the PLAYER or the ITEM? As far as the Yankees (or the A's for that matter) can you show me a jersey that can be photo matched to a CARD? That in and of itself is UNIQUE.

Case in point - if it was the Gehrig Ball (again, I know the scarcity, but they are out there) vs a lesser known player - lets say Fernando Tatis - and it was the GU bat that Tatis used to hit the 2 HRs in one inning for the Cardinals, I'd chose the Tatis Bat.

A) It's GAME USED
B) It's ONE of a KIND
C) It's from an event that will likely NEVER happen again

I fully expected that the Gehrig Ball would run away with this - just because it's Gehrig. But as I told KCarter as well - and he believes I am correct - the Gehrig ball isn't exactly original either as at some point in time, the auto appears to have been 'traced' over (see the 'ghosting' on the edges of the sig?)

I am by no means slamming the ball - and KCarter knows that as (again) we have had a conversation about the ball and I am looking for an article I use to have as i believe that ball was the topic of discussion on another board sometime back about having been traced over.

But I digress - ALL of the pieces from the 1st round are great in their own right - I threw the Giambi uni out there on a whim and considering the item it's competing against, I think it has more than held it's own...

All the best (to you and kcarter) -

Smitty

xpress34
08-12-2011, 02:24 PM

Not a slam on you, but your 'reverse' comparison does not hold water...

A Gehrig single signed ball may go for between $2k - $10k (or more) depending on if it is on an OFFICIAL AL Ball or off brand ball - Pre 1934 (Red/Blue Stitch) or Post 1934 (as kcarter's) w/ ALL Red stitch, etc.

My Giambi Uni already has standing offers on it from Giambi collectors of just over $2k.

On your 'Reverse' comparison:

A Gehrig GU uni (jersey ONLY) would bring in excess of $150k (with proper verification, provenance, etc)

A Giambi AU ball MIGHT bring $150.00 depending on special event, etc.

So comparing two items that are within $8k or so of each other value wise to two items that are in excess of $100k difference in value doesn't even make sense.

- Smitty

lambeauleap87
08-12-2011, 10:59 PM
I had to go with the Giambi for a couple reasons...one being that I love game-used stuff, and to have a complete uniform from a significant game in his career is awfully impressive.

Another reason I went with the Giambi? If you have the money, you can get a Lou Gehrig signed baseball. It'll cost money, but if you want one, you can get one. The Giambi is one of a kind, and impossible to acquire another one unless he decides to get rid of it...

Both pieces are incredibly awesome and easily trump anything in my collection, regardless!

kcarter
08-14-2011, 12:04 AM
Lol lot of discussion on items Im just glad I'm in it and I'm sure i speak for smity aswell when we say that we both appreciate all responses everyone gives. It's always good to know that the items we cherish are also enjoyed by others. Considerind I'm deep sea fishing right now in kona,Hi ill end this a bit different.

Mahalo, kirby

xpress34
08-14-2011, 01:21 AM
Lol lot of discussion on items Im just glad I'm in it and I'm sure i speak for smity aswell when we say that we both appreciate all responses everyone gives. It's always good to know that the items we cherish are also enjoyed by others. Considerind I'm deep sea fishing right now in kona,Hi ill end this a bit different.

Mahalo, kirby

Kirby -

Don't speak for me!!! J/K!!! :smokin:

I agree with you that I enjoy knowing others get enjoyment seeing what's in my collection...

Hawaii huh??? It must suck to be you right now!!! :winking0071:

All the best -

Smitty

xpress34
08-14-2011, 01:22 AM
I had to go with the Giambi for a couple reasons...one being that I love game-used stuff, and to have a complete uniform from a significant game in his career is awfully impressive.

Another reason I went with the Giambi? If you have the money, you can get a Lou Gehrig signed baseball. It'll cost money, but if you want one, you can get one. The Giambi is one of a kind, and impossible to acquire another one unless he decides to get rid of it...

Both pieces are incredibly awesome and easily trump anything in my collection, regardless!

Thanks for the kind words and I'm glad you enjoy it! Did you see my other post of my basement??

- Smitty

lambeauleap87
08-14-2011, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the kind words and I'm glad you enjoy it! Did you see my other post of my basement??

- Smitty

I just did now that you mentioned it...that's an incredible collection you have there! If you don't mind my asking, how did you manage to acquire so many game-used pieces, especially the complete Giambi?

xpress34
08-19-2011, 10:19 AM
Happy Friday everyone!!!

I figure it has been almost a week since there has been any movement on this thread, so I will take the high ground and concede to KCARTER.

I am very proud that my Giambi piece held it's ground against some other serious competition and equally in awe of KCARTER's single signed Gehrig ball.

I would like to see more pics of it - the brand logo, etc - if you ever get a chance to post them Kirby.

All the best -

Smitty

BrewCrew06
08-19-2011, 02:25 PM
xpress34 - I voted for yours simply because of the rarity factor. I also liked how you had it matched to a photo and then it was on a card. It would be cool if you could get that set of cards together to put with the photos and uniform. Pretty cool to have a piece of memorabilia like that.

xpress34
08-20-2011, 02:17 AM
xpress34 - I voted for yours simply because of the rarity factor. I also liked how you had it matched to a photo and then it was on a card. It would be cool if you could get that set of cards together to put with the photos and uniform. Pretty cool to have a piece of memorabilia like that.

BC -

Thanks for the support!!! Hopefully my Giambi collection will be adding a new piece soon... the merchandising manager with the Colorado Springs Sky Sox is working on getting one of Giambi's jerseys from either his 1st stint there (2009 before joining the Rockies) or from his recent rehab stint there and a hat for my collection!

All the best -

Smitty

CRJSr9
08-20-2011, 04:17 AM
when this happens again-i want in...