PDA

View Full Version : McCain won't apologize

andrewhoya
08-11-2011, 03:56 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/mccain-won-t-apologize-calling-tea-partiers-hobbits-173115794.html

Just move on from it and apologize.

Star_Cards
08-11-2011, 04:06 PM
I like how he said it's a fact. Is he saying that them being hobbits is fact? Aren't hobbits fictional characters? How can that be a fact?

habsheaven
08-11-2011, 04:11 PM
I think the "fact" he was referring to was the fact they were acting like idiots.

andrewhoya
08-11-2011, 04:17 PM
I like how he said it's a fact. Is he saying that them being hobbits is fact? Aren't hobbits fictional characters? How can that be a fact?
Pretty much.

1. one of an imaginary race of half-size people living in holes

pghin08
08-11-2011, 04:22 PM
If tea partiers were actually hobbits, I'd vote for all of them.

Per McCain, I don't think he should apologize. It's a good thing, rather than our political parties just being critical of each other, to have them be introspective. Why should he apologize for having an opinion? Because it's not popular within his party? Ridiculous.

gatorboymike
08-11-2011, 04:23 PM
Hobbits aren't exactly the first mythical race to which I would compare Tea Partiers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morlock

andrewhoya
08-11-2011, 04:27 PM
If tea partiers were actually hobbits, I'd vote for all of them.

I'm sure many people would.

Star_Cards
08-11-2011, 04:31 PM
I think the "fact" he was referring to was the fact they were acting like idiots.

I like how people demand apologizes. Usually when an apology has to be demanded, it's pretty much pointless if it does follow.

mrveggieman
08-12-2011, 10:02 AM
I wouldn't even wont somebody to apologize to me if I had to force it out of them. It still dosen't change the way that they feel.

mrveggieman
08-12-2011, 10:03 AM
I wouldn't even wont somebody to apologize to me if I had to force it out of them. It still dosen't change the way that they feel.

Star_Cards
08-12-2011, 10:31 AM
Most apologies that have to be negotiated or forced are simply because the person wants to move past the issue and shut up the other side. Sometimes people need some time to see the error of their ways, but typically the apology is just a going through the motions thing to get people off their back.

pghin08
08-12-2011, 11:35 AM
Most apologies that have to be negotiated or forced are simply because the person wants to move past the issue and shut up the other side. Sometimes people need some time to see the error of their ways, but typically the apology is just a going through the motions thing to get people off their back.

Exactly. This looks more like the 2000 John McCain. I like it.

Star_Cards
08-12-2011, 12:15 PM
2000 McCain would have had my vote. The sad fact that was shown between his two tries at presidency is that you have to water yourself down get any real backing politically.

pghin08
08-12-2011, 12:36 PM
2000 McCain would have had my vote. The sad fact that was shown between his two tries at presidency is that you have to water yourself down get any real backing politically.

I couldn't agree more.

duane1969
08-13-2011, 02:13 PM
Why should he apologize? He is what, 4th or 5th in GOP polls? Refusing to apologize and getting some headlines for it is just good campaigning.

And in all honesty, since nearly everyone here bashes and hates on the Tea Party I would think you guys would be all for him.

andrewhoya
08-13-2011, 03:13 PM
Why should he apologize? He is what, 4th or 5th in GOP polls? Refusing to apologize and getting some headlines for it is just good campaigning.

And in all honesty, since nearly everyone here bashes and hates on the Tea Party I would think you guys would be all for him.

I for one would not want to be in the headlines for calling people "hobbits". What if his name calling continues if he is in the White House and he angers some foreign leader?

duane1969
08-13-2011, 08:34 PM
I for one would not want to be in the headlines for calling people "hobbits". What if his name calling continues if he is in the White House and he angers some foreign leader?

I don't get the big deal. Dems are constantly calling them tea-baggers (a clearly derogatory name) and nobody takes issue with it. Why is the word hobbit such an offensive name?

My honest opinion is that if this gets ANY air time at all it will be because of liberals looking for something to make a big deal about.

andrewhoya
08-13-2011, 08:54 PM
I don't get the big deal. Dems are constantly calling them tea-baggers (a clearly derogatory name) and nobody takes issue with it. Why is the word hobbit such an offensive name?

My honest opinion is that if this gets ANY air time at all it will be because of liberals looking for something to make a big deal about.

People do have issues with it.

Just because others do it doesn't make it right.

pantherfan82
08-13-2011, 10:08 PM
It's not a big deal. The tea party got there feelings hurt. Boohoo.

theonedru
08-14-2011, 03:20 PM
I would be more interested in why he decided to compare them to hobbits. Seriously it just makes him look like the idiotic fool for doing so.

andrewhoya
08-14-2011, 03:30 PM
I would be more interested in why he decided to compare them to hobbits. Seriously it just makes him look like the idiotic fool for doing so.

Good point.

tylermckinzie
08-14-2011, 04:51 PM
McCain didn't call tea party-ists hobbits.

He read, on the floor, an excerpt from an article that referred to them in that way.

He shouldn't have anything to apologize for.

By the way, this townhall took place in my hometown, and if you ever want to visit Tea Party central plan a field trip down to my neck of the desert :-)