PDA

View Full Version : Is there a conservative campaign against Ron Paul?

pghin08
08-16-2011, 10:55 AM
A disclaimer for SCF conservatives:

I know for most of you, watching The Daily Show ranks somewhere between visiting your in-laws and wiping your backside with sandpaper, but here is a four minute snippet about the media's disregarding of Ron Paul. Tell me if you think Stewart is spot on, or completely off:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-august-15-2011/indecision-2012---corn-polled-edition---ron-paul---the-top-tier

Personally, I think he's totally right. Ron Paul has almost been cast aside as a nutjob, really for years now, by the media. There are a lot of people out there (particularly my generation, 18-34) who LOVE Ron Paul. Why isn't this reflected in the media?

pghin08
08-16-2011, 10:57 AM
haha, please discuss in this thread, not the one with the awful grammar in the title.

mrveggieman
08-16-2011, 11:14 AM
I like ron paul and some of his ideas. If president obama was running against him I would actuall consider voting for him if he was nominated but we all know the chances of him winning the republican seat are slim to none because he is one of the few republicans who actually makes any sense. SMH

pghin08
08-16-2011, 11:18 AM
Aside from him wanting to abolish the Federal Reserve, I'm on board with a lot of what he says.

sanfran22
08-16-2011, 11:31 AM
I like some of his ideas, but I'm not really a libertarian so I don't jive with his legalizing everything stance. His take on entitlements can be extreme and I'm not sure it is feasible. I'm also not really on board with his foreign policy on certain things like terrorism. I do think he needs to audit the FED or change the way things are done. Maybe go back on the gold standard (which is probably not possible now)....

pghin08
08-16-2011, 11:41 AM
I like some of his ideas, but I'm not really a libertarian so I don't jive with his legalizing everything stance. His take on entitlements can be extreme and I'm not sure it is feasible. I'm also not really on board with his foreign policy on certain things like terrorism. I do think he needs to audit the FED or change the way things are done. Maybe go back on the gold standard (which is probably not possible now)....

Do you think that's why Fox News and most Republicans seem to brush him off? Because of the disagreement on social issues? If so, that's a bit crazy. On policy issues, he's exactly what most fiscal conservatives want.

sanfran22
08-16-2011, 11:45 AM
Do you think that's why Fox News and most Republicans seem to brush him off? Because of the disagreement on social issues? If so, that's a bit crazy. On policy issues, he's exactly what most fiscal conservatives want.
Possibly, He's pretty good fiscally it seems (except I think he's one of the biggest pork spenders) but I'd be scared about his foreign policies....He'd be afraid to "push the button" if we had no choice it sounds like.
But truthfully, we need an economic president this time around. All else needs to be suspended.....
I find it kinda funny that some on here seem to like him but are unaware of his take on racial issues (another thing I don't agree with him on).

pghin08
08-16-2011, 11:48 AM
Possibly, He's pretty good fiscally it seems (except I think he's one of the biggest pork spenders) but I'd be scared about his foreign policies....He'd be afraid to "push the button" if we had no choice it sounds like.
But truthfully, we need an economic president this time around. All else needs to be suspended.....
I find it kinda funny that some on here seem to like him but are unaware of his take on racial issues (another thing I don't agree with him on).

Exactly what I've bolded. Are you talking about the fact that he hates affirmative action when you mention his take on racial issues?

sanfran22
08-16-2011, 12:03 PM
Exactly what I've bolded. Are you talking about the fact that he hates affirmative action when you mention his take on racial issues?
No, not really. Pretty much his take on the civil rights issue.

pghin08
08-16-2011, 12:11 PM
No, not really. Pretty much his take on the civil rights issue.

Were he to be the Republican nominee, that (along with his weed legalization) would be his biggest hurdle.

sanfran22
08-16-2011, 12:12 PM
Were he to be the Republican nominee, that (along with his weed legalization) would be his biggest hurdle.
Probably true. I can let that all slide for now. My biggest concern would be his foreign policy. Like I said before. He'd probably make a great chairman of the fed. Not sure about pres.

pghin08
08-16-2011, 12:15 PM
Probably true. I can let that all slide for now. My biggest concern would be his foreign policy. Like I said before. He'd probably make a great chairman of the fed. Not sure about pres.

What do you dislike in particular about his foreign policies?

habsheaven
08-16-2011, 12:17 PM

Really? This is a negative side of the man in your mind?

andrewhoya
08-16-2011, 12:18 PM
He has (err... would have...) my vote. He is clearly the best Republican running (though I am not Republican), and I cannot believe that Bachmann is getting more votes.

If M.B. ever gets to be President (praying this wont happen), I'm out of this country. Seriously.

99% of what he believes in actually makes sense. He doesn't vote for things just because his party brought it up, unlike nearly every other politician.

pghin08
08-16-2011, 12:26 PM
He has (err... would have...) my vote. He is clearly the best Republican running (though I am not Republican), and I cannot believe that Bachmann is getting more votes.

If M.B. ever gets to be President (praying this wont happen), I'm out of this country. Seriously.

99% of what he believes in actually makes sense. He doesn't vote for things just because his party brought it up, unlike nearly every other politician.

Awesome, we can carpool. Hello Niagara Falls, Ontario.

mrveggieman
08-16-2011, 12:30 PM

Sign me up too. I already suffered through 8 years of gwb. I'm not going to deal with bachman afterwards.

sanfran22
08-16-2011, 12:43 PM
What do you dislike in particular about his foreign policies?
He seems to be an isolationist, which I don't believe will work these days. I'm not sure he's a friend to Isreal ( I believe he spoke about cutting their aid). While I do believe cutting aid to a whole lot of places is necessary, not sure everywhere is good. Also not on board with his massive defense cuts. It's all going to hit the fan one day soon and we are going to cripple ourselves?

sanfran22
08-16-2011, 12:44 PM
Sign me up too. I already suffered through 8 years of gwb. I'm not going to deal with bachman afterwards.
Lol, I'll ask the question that begs an answer. Are you better off today then you were 5 years ago? I know I'm not.

pghin08
08-16-2011, 12:46 PM
He seems to be an isolationist, which I don't believe will work these days. I'm not sure he's a friend to Isreal ( I believe he spoke about cutting their aid). While I do believe cutting aid to a whole lot of places is necessary, not sure everywhere is good. Also not on board with his massive defense cuts. It's all going to hit the fan one day soon and we are going to cripple ourselves?

Our support of Israel poses the greatest threat to our nation at this time.

sanfran22
08-16-2011, 12:48 PM
Our support of Israel poses the greatest threat to our nation at this time.
So what happens if we don't support them? Sometimes the right decision is the toughest one.....

andrewhoya
08-16-2011, 12:55 PM
Hmm... I was thinking a liiiiitle more tropical :winking0071:

2 1/2-3 years of Obama has been enough for me.

pghin08
08-16-2011, 01:13 PM
So what happens if we don't support them? Sometimes the right decision is the toughest one.....

Well, according to Michelle Bachmann: "that is the end of the United States"

But honestly, I'm not sure what happens. Isreal isn't even as close to as dependent as they were on the US just 20-some years ago. And while they offer us an ally in the Middle East, it is also the primary cause of strife between the US and Arab nations. For too long now, Israel has been the basis of our Middle Eastern policy

Almost 20 years ago, Samuel Huntington wrote a book about the post-Cold War New World Order called "Clash of Civilizations". In it, he expounded on the past major cultural conflicts of the world, and predicted that in the post-Cold War era, the major conflict would exist between the Western world and the Muslim world. When forming my opinion on our relationship with Israel (from a cultural and ideological perspective), the book was immensely helpful.

andrewhoya
08-16-2011, 01:16 PM

You're better off making up a quote to prove your point than using a Bachmann one... :winking0071:

sanfran22
08-16-2011, 02:23 PM

But honestly, I'm not sure what happens. Isreal isn't even as close to as dependent as they were on the US just 20-some years ago. And while they offer us an ally in the Middle East, it is also the primary cause of strife between the US and Arab nations. For too long now, Israel has been the basis of our Middle Eastern policy

Almost 20 years ago, Samuel Huntington wrote a book about the post-Cold War New World Order called "Clash of Civilizations". In it, he expounded on the past major cultural conflicts of the world, and predicted that in the post-Cold War era, the major conflict would exist between the Western world and the Muslim world. When forming my opinion on our relationship with Israel (from a cultural and ideological perspective), the book was immensely helpful.
I just don't agree with standing by and watching the end of the jewish state. If we cut ties, they are through. Turkey, Russia and Iran will do them in. Mark my words....

pghin08
08-16-2011, 02:52 PM
I just don't agree with standing by and watching the end of the jewish state. If we cut ties, they are through. Turkey, Russia and Iran will do them in. Mark my words....

I could just about guarantee you that this won't happen. The US/Israeli relationship is an utterly toxic co-dependency, but it is a co-dependency nonetheless. Plus, at this point, were we to cut all ties with Israel, they immediately become our biggest threat. Israel has the largest spy network operating within the US of any foreign nation, and has for decades.

They pretty much have us by the short ones. There is no good solution to this, I'm sure we could agree on that. It's the preeminent foreign policy issue of the past 100 years.

sanfran22
08-16-2011, 03:15 PM
I could just about guarantee you that this won't happen. The US/Israeli relationship is an utterly toxic co-dependency, but it is a co-dependency nonetheless. Plus, at this point, were we to cut all ties with Israel, they immediately become our biggest threat. Israel has the largest spy network operating within the US of any foreign nation, and has for decades.

They pretty much have us by the short ones. There is no good solution to this, I'm sure we could agree on that. It's the preeminent foreign policy issue of the past 100 years.
Well, the relationship maybe pretty one sided. We are "big brother" basically. But as soon as we go I'm telling you, nothing good will come out of it. They will be obliterated....

pghin08
08-16-2011, 03:20 PM
Well, the relationship maybe pretty one sided. We are "big brother" basically. But as soon as we go I'm telling you, nothing good will come out of it. They will be obliterated....

We won't go that way. Even if Paul became President, he'd be compromised by Congress and his Cabinet on that issue. It's like Roe v. Wade being overturned: not in our lifetime, nor the next generations after us.

sanfran22
08-16-2011, 03:42 PM
We won't go that way. Even if Paul became President, he'd be compromised by Congress and his Cabinet on that issue. It's like Roe v. Wade being overturned: not in our lifetime, nor the next generations after us.
One would hope. But I never thought we'd be going the direction we are now either.........

pghin08
08-16-2011, 03:45 PM
One would hope. But I never thought we'd be going the direction we are now either.........

Only time will tell, I suppose. I still think Paul should be seen as a legit conservative option.

andrewhoya
08-16-2011, 03:49 PM
I still think Paul should be seen as a legit conservative option.

He should be. But he is just pushed aside like the Buffalo Bills.

He is a serious candidate, and its sad that people don't take the time to actually read everything he is for.

pghin08
08-16-2011, 03:52 PM
He should be. But he is just pushed aside like the Buffalo Bills.

He is a serious candidate, and its sad that people don't take the time to actually read everything he is for.

He'd be my choice, no doubt about it.

AUTaxMan
08-16-2011, 04:07 PM
I think Ron Paul is great. if you noticed where the clips came from, though, it isn't just conservative media dismissing him. It is ALL of the media.

pghin08
08-16-2011, 04:13 PM
I think Ron Paul is great. if you noticed where the clips came from, though, it isn't just conservative media dismissing him. It is ALL of the media.

True, you would just think that stations like Fox News would dedicate more time to him.

andrewhoya
08-16-2011, 04:25 PM
True, you would just think that stations like Fox News would dedicate more time to him.

I think that was one of the things stated in the video.

marekschwarz33
08-16-2011, 04:38 PM
the media just writes his views off as "radical". I don't think ending wars, cutting spending, or protecting personal liberty are really that strange. Ron Paul is the only reasonable Republican nominee (besides Gary Johnson but he isn't really putting forth an effort). The Republicans can be such hypocrites at times. They claim to want small government and yet they support the War on Drugs and the War on Terror. Both of which extend the reach of government. We need a real shake up on the entire system of government. Would Bachmann, Romney, Santorum, or Perry really provide that? I don't think so. They are no better/worse than Obama.

pghin08
08-16-2011, 04:43 PM
the media just writes his views off as "radical". I don't think ending wars, cutting spending, or protecting personal liberty are really that strange. Ron Paul is the only reasonable Republican nominee (besides Gary Johnson but he isn't really putting forth an effort). The Republicans can be such hypocrites at times. They claim to want small government and yet they support the War on Drugs and the War on Terror. Both of which extend the reach of government. We need a real shake up on the entire system of government. Would Bachmann, Romney, Santorum, or Perry really provide that? I don't think so. They are no better/worse than Obama.

Well geez, you don't have to be so logical and reasonable about the whole thing :winking0071:

mrveggieman
08-16-2011, 05:22 PM
You know I would love to see a Ron Paul vs Obama match up for the white house. However I don't think that the neocons will let that happen.

andrewhoya
08-16-2011, 06:06 PM
You know I would love to see a Ron Paul vs Obama match up for the white house.

I'd like to see a Ron Paul vs anybody.

souperman79
08-17-2011, 03:13 AM
I really have a hard time with all the people in Washington right now. I find it hard to believe that any of them can truly do what they say. IF Ron Paul were to win a Presidential Election, how would he get anything done? If Congress and the Senate aren't with him, nothing passes. Look at the debacle on raising the debt ceiling.

The reality of the situation is these Congressmen and Senators are OUR employees. We are the ones allowing them to run rampant with spending and getting away with anything they want. They really don't care about the people as long as they are getting what they need.

duane1969
08-17-2011, 08:53 AM
I really have a hard time with all the people in Washington right now. I find it hard to believe that any of them can truly do what they say. IF Ron Paul were to win a Presidential Election, how would he get anything done? If Congress and the Senate aren't with him, nothing passes. Look at the debacle on raising the debt ceiling.

The reality of the situation is these Congressmen and Senators are OUR employees. We are the ones allowing them to run rampant with spending and getting away with anything they want. They really don't care about the people as long as they are getting what they need.

+1

You need to stop being so rational. It will scare the locals. :sign0020:

pghin08
08-17-2011, 10:21 AM
+1

Hahaha. He's spot on.

souperman79
08-18-2011, 12:35 AM
+1

Just call it like I see it, and I use my head not my heart when it comes to voting and politics.

mrveggieman
08-18-2011, 10:55 AM
Just call it like I see it, and I use my head not my heart when it comes to voting and politics.

Why can't more people think like that and stop being political fanboys?

sanfran22
08-18-2011, 10:56 AM
I'll almost spit my powerade on my keyboard....:smash::sign0020::sign0020::love0030:

souperman79
08-18-2011, 03:48 PM

I'll almost spit my powerade on my keyboard....:smash::sign0020::sign0020::love0030:

:sign0020:

tutall
08-18-2011, 09:45 PM

that makes two of us... Im glad I was sitting down:sign0020: :sign0020: