PDA

View Full Version : Display Case Help

nautique117
08-26-2011, 02:13 PM
I am looking to get a case made or somewhere that I can buy a case at a reasonable price. I have a lot of signed collectibles that I would like to display such as hats, cards footballs, basketballs, bobbleheads and other miscellaneous items. These are the items I can't hang on the wall like my pictures, sticks and bats.

Any ideas on where to start??

I went to a cabinet shop and they wanted over $3500 for a case 12”deep x 48”wide x 96”tall and I thought that was a little much!!! Any ideas are appreciated.

I would like to see anything you have done with your stuff as well!!!

GUCD231
08-26-2011, 06:02 PM
Try craigslist and put in "Curio Cabinet".I know some of them were made for grandmas dishes.But they have some really nice wood ones that are light and have adjustable shelves.Most are glass with mirrored backs which gives a great look.
P.S. They run a few hundred or less used.A far cry from the thousands.

xpress34
08-26-2011, 11:11 PM
Where do you live?

If you are in or near a major city, look up Store Display (New & Used) such as Tebo here in Denver and check for used store cases.

On Craiglist search the following:

Display Case
Show Case
Showcase
Curio
Book Case
Bookcase

Here's a link to my basement pics.

All of my cases except the Timex 'rounder' have come from Craigslist here in Denver.

My mannequins have all come from Craigslist, Tebo and other used Store Display Stores around Denver.

Smitty's Basement (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Basement/)

All the best -

Smitty

jjj5278
08-27-2011, 09:58 PM
I got a decent bookcase from Ikea and then they had glass doors they sold separately that I added to the one case for my memorabilia. It looks nice and is pretty large.

nautique117
08-29-2011, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the help. I have a lead on a couple on craigslist the "Curio Cabinet" helped on the search. I am going to check out IKEA tonight and make a decision. Way better than trying to have one custom made.

jjj5278
08-29-2011, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the help. I have a lead on a couple on craigslist the "Curio Cabinet" helped on the search. I am going to check out IKEA tonight and make a decision. Way better than trying to have one custom made.

The IKEA bookcases are the Billy bookcases. I buy those and then they have glass doors you can add to them. It was easy to assemble and looks pretty nice, except it has the edges of the two doors right down the middle, but not a big deal to me.

GUCD231
09-02-2011, 12:18 PM
Happy to help.

Project 4
10-17-2011, 01:46 PM
Some good info in here. Thanks!

JerseyInk
10-17-2011, 03:00 PM
Like jjj stated, the Billy bookcase is the way to go. I got a big corner unit (5 total pieces)with glass doors excluding the actual corner piece and small lights for the top. Out the door for a grand.

barnsz
10-17-2011, 03:29 PM
Where do you live?

If you are in or near a major city, look up Store Display (New & Used) such as Tebo here in Denver and check for used store cases.

On Craiglist search the following:

Display Case
Show Case
Showcase
Curio
Book Case
Bookcase

Here's a link to my basement pics.

All of my cases except the Timex 'rounder' have come from Craigslist here in Denver.

My mannequins have all come from Craigslist, Tebo and other used Store Display Stores around Denver.

Smitty's Basement (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Basement/)

All the best -

Smitty

Smitty
we like your idea we are in search for displays cases.craiglist did not cross our mind BTW killer collection

raptorbill
10-28-2011, 12:47 PM
I didn't want to spend allot of money so I built my own.

http://memberfiles.freewebs.com/16/74/73377416/photos/My-Stuff/Pics%20006.jpg

xpress34
11-02-2011, 01:05 AM
Smitty
we like your idea we are in search for displays cases.craiglist did not cross our mind BTW killer collection

Dave / Ryan -

Thanks for the kind words. Wishing you luck in your search for cases...

- Smitty

yellowsuby03
11-17-2011, 12:01 PM
IKEA is where i got my all glass display case..it was like $60 on sale at the time and has 4 shelves..

some good ideas though...you be surprised at all the little shelves and stuff IKEA has that comes in handy to display your items