PDA

View Full Version : Is Tim Tebow being unfairly held back because of his religious views?

mrveggieman
08-29-2011, 01:20 PM
Here is an article written by Rick Reiley answering Randy Cross who says that Reiley is giving Tebow a hard time because of his Christian beliefs:

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/6898262/critics-tebow-critics-wrong

Feel free to chime in.

pghin08
08-29-2011, 01:50 PM
Here is an article written by Rick Reiley answering Randy Cross who says that Reiley is giving Tebow a hard time because of his Christian beliefs:

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/6898262/critics-tebow-critics-wrong

Feel free to chime in.

Reilly is 140% correct. Tebow's religion doesn't matter at all, it's the fact that he can't take snaps from under center and has immense difficulty reading defenses. He's spot on with the ridiculousness of what Randy Cross said.

Though it makes me think, in the broader spectrum, Cross hits on a trend here. There are many people out there who believe that Christians are being persecuted here in America (99% of these people wake up and fall asleep watching Fox News). I'm really not going to delve into how wrong I think that is, but it appears to be the case. Reilly wasn't dogging Tebow because he is a Christian, but it's obvious that Cross is defending Tebow for that reason.

I just think it serves as a microcosm of a larger sentiment within our populous.

mrveggieman
08-29-2011, 02:15 PM
If I could add my two cents I believe that just the oppisite of what cross says is happening. The broncos along with the nfl wants tebow to succeed. For one it's good for business (golden boy all american kid next door, heisman trophy winner, etc). Also the leauge would not have to worry about Tebow raping, shooting, robbing anyone, getting arrested for DUI or failing any drug tests. Also as alluded to earlier the majority of people in the united states do believe in some form of christanity so they would have a role model to look up to. What randy cross is trying to suggest is as far from the truth as you could get. If tebow fails as an nfl qb it is not because anyone held him back.

Star_Cards
08-29-2011, 02:18 PM
Tebow is getting criticism because he's a third string QB that the Broncos trade up to take in the first round. Also the fact that he's a Gator doesn't help and the fact that he was a top college QB is a factor as well.

Hilfiger1975
08-29-2011, 02:21 PM
The reporters have to write about SOMETHING don't they?

*censored*
08-30-2011, 09:22 PM
That is the biggest load of crap I have ever heard. There are tons of athletes who are outspoken about their faith and none have ever had someone claim persecution for them as far as I know.

What else? Will someone claim that MLB is holding the Colorado Rockies back because of this? http://www.thenation.com/article/rockies-pitch-religion

mrveggieman
08-31-2011, 01:04 PM
That is the biggest load of crap I have ever heard. There are tons of athletes who are outspoken about their faith and none have ever had someone claim persecution for them as far as I know.

What else? Will someone claim that MLB is holding the Colorado Rockies back because of this? http://www.thenation.com/article/rockies-pitch-religion

That article was deeply disturbing. I don't have a problem with a team inviting church groups or giving them discounted tickets, or even having a postgame gospel concert (I have actually enjoyed a couple of them after some basketball games that I went to) but it appears that the rockies are trying to force the jerry fallwell school of religious thinking on the rest of the world. Only their form of religion is correct and that minorities need not apply. Isn't this the same thing that we are fighting against in the middle east? Ooops it's only wrong if the religion is not extreme christanity. My bad. SMH

duwal
08-31-2011, 02:10 PM
If I could add my two cents I believe that just the oppisite of what cross says is happening. The broncos along with the nfl wants tebow to succeed. For one it's good for business (golden boy all american kid next door, heisman trophy winner, etc). Also the leauge would not have to worry about Tebow raping, shooting, robbing anyone, getting arrested for DUI or failing any drug tests. Also as alluded to earlier the majority of people in the united states do believe in some form of christanity so they would have a role model to look up to. What randy cross is trying to suggest is as far from the truth as you could get. If tebow fails as an nfl qb it is not because anyone held him back.

why would you think the league would not have to worry about Tebow raping, shooting, robbing, getting arrested, etc?? Purely because of his faith? Thats absurd, he still has as much of a chance of that happening as any other football player, no matter what their ethnicity or background is

mrveggieman
08-31-2011, 02:16 PM
why would you think the league would not have to worry about Tebow raping, shooting, robbing, getting arrested, etc?? Purely because of his faith? Thats absurd, he still has as much of a chance of that happening as any other football player, no matter what their ethnicity or background is

Good point. The last thing that I want to do is steryotype anyone (even if it is a good steryotype) because of their religion. The point I was trying to make was that tebow does not have any known history of problems off the field and that the broncos and the nfl could market him a way that he is a good guy and not very likely to get into trouble off the field. Let me clarify however that just because you follow christanity or any other religion for that matter does not make you a perfect person nor does it make you immune to society's ills.

duwal
08-31-2011, 02:24 PM
Good point. The last thing that I want to do is steryotype anyone (even if it is a good steryotype) because of their religion. The point I was trying to make was that tebow does not have any known history of problems off the field and that the broncos and the nfl could market him a way that he is a good guy and not very likely to get into trouble off the field. Let me clarify however that just because you follow christanity or any other religion for that matter does not make you a perfect person nor does it make you immune for society's ills.

I agree, I myself personally do not believe in God. I'm a 34 year old attorney that has never been arrested, never tried drugs, never even had a drink of alcohol. But because I don't believe in God or following a religion shouldn't mean that I should be any less of a marketable figure or stand up example for my profession compared to a similar person that is a devout churchgoer

mrveggieman
08-31-2011, 02:38 PM
I agree, I myself personally do not believe in God. I'm a 34 year old attorney that has never been arrested, never tried drugs, never even had a drink of alcohol. But because I don't believe in God or following a religion shouldn't mean that I should be any less of a marketable figure or stand up example for my profession compared to a similar person that is a devout churchgoer

+1 :cheer2:

spuds1961
09-05-2011, 12:10 PM

+ 2

Just because a person is a christian or follows a certain religion does not necessarily make them a better person.I consider myself a Christian,but in no way does that make me a better person than a non-believer,people are people,knowing how to act in certain situations is not a result of what or who you believe in,but a result of your upbringing.

tutall
09-07-2011, 12:51 AM

You are less marketable because A. You are not a high profile athlete and B. you are not going to be appearing in any religious videos that will be sold to thousands of churches across the country and be played over and over and over to the youth groups and bible schools saying if you try hard enough you can be just like Tim Tebow....