PDA

View Full Version : Teen, robs 73-year-old of 7 cents, gets 2-6 years in prison

bouncer
08-30-2011, 08:34 PM
Itís finally good to see a Judge hold a kid accountable for a decision he made. It would be nice to see more judges start cracking down on these punks.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20099378-504083.html

(CBS/AP) SYRACUSE, N.Y. - A 15-year-old Syracuse boy will now spend the next two to six years in juvenile detention and the rest of his life as a felon. It was all for a robbery that earned him only pocket change.

Anthony Stewart was found guilty of first-degree robbery earlier this month for beating and kicking a 73-year-old man and robbing him of seven cents. Prosecutors say the victim was on his way to a store last December when the two teenagers ran up from behind, knocked him into a snow bank, then kicked and punched him. The two teens had handguns, which Stewart later admitted were BB guns, prosecutors said.

Onondaga County Judge William Walsh rejected a defense lawyer's request to treat Anthony Stewart, of West Onondaga Street, as a youthful offender, according to the Syracuse Post-Standard. Treating Stewart as a youthful offender would have removed the felony conviction from his record and seal the case file.

Walsh said he might have ruled differently if Stewart had pleaded guilty, as his 16-year-old co-defendant Skyler Ninham did, the Post-Standard reports. The 15-year-old reportedly denied his involvement despite the fact that Ninham and the 73-year-old robbery victim identified Stewart as a participant in the crime.
Earlier this month, Walsh sentenced Ninham, who was also convicted of first-degree robbery, as a youthful offender up to four years in state prison.

Stewart's lawyer, Laurin Haddad, said that she was disappointed by Walsh's decision to deny youthful-offender treatment, the Standard-Post reports.

"For seven cents, now you're making someone a felon for the rest of his life," she said.

pghin08
08-30-2011, 09:18 PM
Totally justified. Beating an elderly person? You'll pay for it.

andrewhoya
08-30-2011, 09:20 PM
Great outcome.

*censored*
08-30-2011, 09:32 PM
"For seven cents, now you're making someone a felon for the rest of his life," she said.

No, by attempted robbery, he made himself a felon for the rest of his life. Get it right.

pghin08
08-30-2011, 09:50 PM
No, by attempted robbery, he made himself a felon for the rest of his life. Get it right.

boom city.

bouncer
08-30-2011, 10:08 PM

The kid did the crime, but by denying he was involved in the crime made him a felon the rest of the life. Sounds like he got some bad advice from someone.

ensbergcollector
08-30-2011, 11:46 PM
love this article. it shouldn't matter how little he got off the guy. Why would that make sense? It is a worse crime to beat up and rob and old rich person than an old poor person? No way. Glad this kid is being held accountable for his actions.

duane1969
08-30-2011, 11:59 PM
I might be wrong but I think the BB guns made it a felony. Otherwise I think it would be simple assault and robbery which would most likely be plead down. The BB guns made it armed robbery.

Star_Cards
08-31-2011, 12:24 PM

yeah, I thought that was an idiotic quote. It's not like he went into a persons bedroom and took 7Ę off of their dresser. He beat him and had weapons (even if just a BB gun) and then lied al the way through trial after his buddy copped to the deed.

Star_Cards
08-31-2011, 12:25 PM
I might be wrong but I think the BB guns made it a felony. Otherwise I think it would be simple assault and robbery which would most likely be plead down. The BB guns made it armed robbery.

makes sense. that's what I was thinking too.

mrveggieman
08-31-2011, 12:35 PM
That punk is lucky all he got was 2-6 years. It serves him right. He'll think twice the next time he tries to steal from somebody, otherwise he'll end right back in the slammer.

duwal
08-31-2011, 02:16 PM
yeah, don't see how anyone could have any type of remorse for this guy for pushing down and kicking a 73 year old. The amount of money that was robbed is invalid, its all about the actions leading up to the theft

spuds1961
09-01-2011, 11:14 AM
He's just gonna be a lifelong criminal anyways,at least this keeps him off the street for a little while.

theonedru
09-04-2011, 01:23 AM
2-6 years is a joke, they used a weapon, whether real or not, he deserved at least 10-20. 2 years they are out in a few months...........

INTIMADATOR2007
09-04-2011, 12:19 PM
I bet his parents would say he was a good kid who got with the wrong crowd . Yeah right I say hold the parents accountable also . If they were doing there job and raising a good kids this would not happen.

andrewhoya
09-04-2011, 12:33 PM
I bet his parents would say he was a good kid who got with the wrong crowd . Yeah right I say hold the parents accountable also . If they were doing there job and raising a good kids this would not happen.

there is only so much a parent can do imo....

Rybowski
09-04-2011, 08:29 PM
Youthful or not, he knew what he was doing, and did it anyway. Now he has to pay for the stupidity of his actions.