PDA

View Full Version : Police beat woman over dispute about headscarf at amusement park

mrveggieman
08-31-2011, 12:54 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/new-york/muslims-police-scuffle-rye-playland-over-amusement-park-123309825.html

duwal
08-31-2011, 01:04 PM
ummm...where exactly does it say that the police beat the woman?? Boy is your title misleading! She was arguing with cops about the park rule and then taken down and arrested. People are really trying to make a big deal over this. As it says in the article the park has had a rule in place for years banning anything on peoples heads during the rides. Now of course the victims are saying that it was purely based on them being Muslim.

Rules are rules, if they don't like it then they should have decided on another venue

mrveggieman
08-31-2011, 01:07 PM
ummm...where exactly does it say that the police beat the woman?? Boy is your title misleading! She was arguing with cops about the park rule and then taken down and arrested. People are really trying to make a big deal over this. As it says in the article the park has had a rule in place for years banning anything on peoples heads during the rides. Now of course the victims are saying that it was purely based on them being Muslim.

Rules are rules, if they don't like it then they should have decided on another venue

So wait we can't put our own spin on a title of an article in order to get a reaction?? What was I thinking?

jaybird_1981
08-31-2011, 01:11 PM
I have had to remove my hat at plenty of amusement parks.

duwal
08-31-2011, 01:13 PM
So wait we can't put our own spin on a title of an article in order to get a reaction?? What was I thinking?

well when its completely false, yeah. You made it sound like the police were completely out of line instead of what really happened, which was them following correct procedure

duane1969
08-31-2011, 02:51 PM
Seriously, this is getting immature. Cut it out.

If you want to discuss the issues that the article bring up, then fine, I am all for it. If you are just looking to get a rise out of people then knock it off.

mrveggieman
08-31-2011, 03:10 PM
I'm sorry duane it was a little over the top on my end but I was trying to get at the underlying problem that people are still often discriminated against because of their religious attire.

bret2
08-31-2011, 03:39 PM
ummm...where exactly does it say that the police beat the woman??

About a third the way down in the article-

"Her cousin, Kareem Meawad (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Kareem+Meawad), 17, went to try to protect the woman and was beaten by cops and also arrested, she added."

duwal
08-31-2011, 04:23 PM
About a third the way down in the article-

"Her cousin, Kareem Meawad (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Kareem+Meawad), 17, went to try to protect the woman and was beaten by cops and also arrested, she added."

but they didn't 'beat' any of the women

#1 Broncos Fan
08-31-2011, 04:52 PM
Wow, rules are rules and it is groups like the NAACP, religious groups and others who like to make issues where there are none! I would of done the same exact thing those cops did especially when she was clearly not wanting to comply, its sad that people have to make issues out of simple rules or do it just because they think they do not have to follow the rules!!!!!!! So just because we don't like certain laws we should just go break them to prove a point?

habsheaven
08-31-2011, 06:47 PM
I'm sorry duane it was a little over the top on my end but I was trying to get at the underlying problem that people are still often discriminated against because of their religious attire.

That is not the underlying problem. There is no discrimination here. The rules are the same for everyone. Obey them and there are no problems. If you do not want to obey them ... leave.

bret2
08-31-2011, 08:13 PM
I understand the rules are rules logic but I would tend to think things like han™™™™s,car keys,loose change etc would be more of a projectile than a freakin scarf. I don't do the amusement park thing though so maybe those things are outlawed as well?

habsheaven
08-31-2011, 09:29 PM
I understand the rules are rules logic but I would tend to think things like han™™™™s,car keys,loose change etc would be more of a projectile than a freakin scarf. I don't do the amusement park thing though so maybe those things are outlawed as well?

Haven't bothered to read the article so this may be completely wrong. My understanding of why these places ban head gear and such is more for the concern of them becoming a choking hazard if they become caught in the equipment.

#1 Broncos Fan
08-31-2011, 10:03 PM
Haven't bothered to read the article so this may be completely wrong. My understanding of why these places ban head gear and such is more for the concern of them becoming a choking hazard if they become caught in the equipment.
I believe this may be very true, but it seems that these groups look for issues what ever they can do to get the attention on them and make it a racial issue.

ensbergcollector
08-31-2011, 10:09 PM
i have had to take my hat off of every ride I ride at amusement parks. I love the "this obviously only happened because we are muslims." Give me a break.

Star_Cards
08-31-2011, 11:16 PM
putting a woman that is arguing and yelling at polie on the ground to arrest her is hardly beating.

as far as the rule... it's not specific to any religious group and sounds like an actual reason for not allowing any sort of head ware on a roller coaster. seems like it's just like the height rule they have for younger kids. there are rules you have to follow to ride and if you don't want to follow them they can't let you on.

Star_Cards
08-31-2011, 11:22 PM

I agree with you that at times they are, but in this case I don't see it anymore than just a rule of the park. If the other people didn't have to take off their hats I can see the women having an issue. this sounds like they didn't like the rule because it kept them from riding the rides in their head wraps and they just assumed it was because they were muslim. MOst people that start disagreeing with a police officer and yelling back at them are going to get arrested or at least detained.

springerdeals
08-31-2011, 11:30 PM
she had it coming im sure

duane1969
09-01-2011, 08:27 AM

When we were at King's Dominion you were not allowed to take anything on the rides. People with bags were forced to leave them sitting on the platform while they rode or not get on the ride.

Also, as others have said, I think that the risk of head attire catching on equipment and becoming a choking hazard is the reason. I am sure the park personnel could care less if they wore headwraps. They were not told that they had to take them off to be in the park, just to ride the rides.

"Her cousin, Kareem Meawad, 17, went to try to protect the woman and was beaten by cops and also arrested, she added."

When the cops are arresting someone the last thing you do is get involved and the very last thing you do is put your hands on an officer. That is called assaulting an officer. Also, she was not "protecting" anyone, she was preventing an officer from doing their job. That's called obstruction of justice.

If she got smacked in the head and arrested then she got what she deserved. I don't like to see anyone get hurt, but sometimes the hardest lesson is the one best learned.

jaybird_1981
09-01-2011, 10:48 AM

Anything hand carried are not allowed on most amusement park rides. A lot of parks don't let you wear sunglasses or flip flops either. Pretty much everything has to be in your pockets before you ride.

*censored*
09-01-2011, 11:49 PM
she had it coming im sure

Hope that was sarcasm. If not, you're obviously a real winner.