PDA

View Full Version : Would You Support Campaign Limits Like These?

duane1969
09-06-2011, 02:32 PM
Lately I have been really irked that our politicians are spending so much time campaigning. The election is over a year away yet I have been seeing signs for months.

My idea goes something like this.

*1 year before Election Day the campaign may be organized and established. Spending on television ads, signs, etc. is limited to a specific amount and can not start before this date.
*6 months before Election Day the politicians may actually campaign but can spend no more than 33% of their time performing actual campaign duties.
*3 months before Election Day the politician may spend up to 66% of the time campaigning.
*30 days until Election Day, all bets are off.

This accomplishes three things.

1) Large campaign machines can no longer gain an advantage by fund-raising for months or years before an election and have millions to spend on day 1. Everybody starts on the same day.
2) Makes politicians more accountable for their "current" actions on Election Day as they will have been required to continue doing their job up until the end rather than 6-12 months of mud-slinging TV ads over stuff that happened 10 or 15 years ago.
3) Increased incentive for current politicians to stay focused on their jobs. No more starting campaigns half way thru the current term as politicians are fond of doing these days.

pghin08
09-06-2011, 02:42 PM
Lately I have been really irked that our politicians are spending so much time campaigning. The election is over a year away yet I have been seeing signs for months.

*1 year before Election Day the campaign may be organized and established. Spending on television ads, signs, etc. is limited to a specific amount and can not start before this date.
*6 months before Election Day the politicians may actually campaign but can spend no more than 33% of their time performing actual campaign duties.
*3 months before Election Day the politician may spend up to 66% of the time campaigning.

1) Large campaign machines can no longer gain an advantage by fund-raising for months or years before an election and have millions to spend on day 1. Everybody starts on the same day.
2) Makes politicians more accountable for their "current" actions on Election Day as they will have been required to continue doing their job up until the end rather than 6-12 months of mud-slinging TV ads over stuff that happened 10 or 15 years ago.
3) Increased incentive for current politicians to stay focused on their jobs. No more starting campaigns half way thru the current term as politicians are fond of doing these days.

It's far too smart and logical for our current political climate.

Star_Cards
09-06-2011, 02:42 PM
I would love some sort of campaign finance reform. I actually think it would help a lot.

So many politicians waste time campaigning years in advance instead of doing their actual jobs. Plus the fact that someone can raise more money shouldn't be a major deciding factor in who wins. All most campaign funds are these days are bribes. Why do we have a system that allows people and corporations to finance a politician and then once they win they come back and want a favor in return. Basically legalized bribery in my book. I think it should definitely be capped and strictly managed on what it can be spent on.

Get more time for politicians to work and less time trying to stomp around for votes.

duane1969
09-06-2011, 02:46 PM
I would love some sort of campaign finance reform. I actually think it would help a lot.

So many politicians waste time campaigning years in advance instead of doing their actual jobs. Plus the fact that someone can raise more money shouldn't be a major deciding factor in who wins. All most campaign funds are these days are bribes. Why do we have a system that allows people and corporations to finance a politician and then once they win they come back and want a favor in return. Basically legalized bribery in my book. I think it should definitely be capped and strictly managed on what it can be spent on.

Get more time for politicians to work and less time trying to stomp around for votes.

What about a donation coffer that all donators pay into and then all donations are distributed evenly amongst campaigns? That way everybody works with the same base amount and no industry or business can influence the outcome.

Any money that is left over at the end (ala Hilary Clinton) goes back into the coffers for the next election cycle.

Star_Cards
09-06-2011, 02:50 PM
What about a donation coffer that all donators pay into and then all donations are distributed evenly amongst campaigns? That way everybody works with the same base amount and no industry or business can influence the outcome.

Any money that is left over at the end (ala Hilary Clinton) goes back into the coffers for the next election cycle.

I would love to see that. Heck I'd even be okay with only a set amount of tax payer money finance campaigns. That way it's all the same. As much as I hate to spend tax money on something else it may in the long run help out the tax payers. just a thought. No person or industry should have influence especially by how much money they give to a politician. It's absurd that the system is even in place.

the problem is the people deciding the rules would be hugely effected by it so it will never happen.

habsheaven
09-06-2011, 03:16 PM
How would the race to win the nomination play into your timeline?

andrewhoya
09-06-2011, 05:00 PM
Good idea, but I don't think this'll happen.

duane1969
09-06-2011, 05:24 PM
How would the race to win the nomination play into your timeline?

All "contestants" would start on the 1 year mark. At the 6 month mark each party would decide who it's representative will be.

gatorboymike
09-07-2011, 03:37 AM
Good idea, but I have another one: everyone in both the legislative and executive branches is restricted to only one term. Increase terms lengths as follows: US Representatives - 4 years, president - 6 years, US Senators - 8 years. No reelection.

Star_Cards
09-07-2011, 09:06 AM
I'm a huge fan of term limits and supreme court judges shouldn't be lifetime terms. I think term limits would be more helpful than campaign finance reform.

theonedru
09-07-2011, 05:59 PM

As well they must sign a form with all their campaign promises on it that says if you do not follow through or back out on these then you are automatically fired,

duane1969
09-07-2011, 06:04 PM
I don't know about being fired but I think a scorecard at polling places would be nice. Imagine you are just about to cast your vote and you can actually look and see exactly how a politician spent his/her time and how they voted on key issues.

theonedru
09-07-2011, 06:29 PM
I don't know about being fired but I think a scorecard at polling places would be nice. Imagine you are just about to cast your vote and you can actually look and see exactly how a politician spent his/her time and how they voted on key issues.

They lie, they are gone, it works for me, that or string them from the nearest tree and horsewhip them, either way it would get the message across we are fed up

mrveggieman
09-08-2011, 08:49 AM

Now that's what I'm talking about! :cheer2:

theonedru
09-08-2011, 12:14 PM
Mandatory attendance, unless medically unable they cannot miss a vote and have to show up to work a minimum % of days. I am sick of the losers that almost never vote on things.

duane1969
09-08-2011, 12:20 PM
Mandatory attendance, unless medically unable they cannot miss a vote and have to show up to work a minimum % of days. I am sick of the losers that almost never vote on things.

I was thinking the same thing. If I need a day off I have to take a sick day or personal day. They should do the same.

Star_Cards
09-08-2011, 01:47 PM
finally a thread where we can all agree that all politicians are the problem and not just one party. I'm proud of you all. lol

John Stewart had a Rep candidate Buddy Roemer on earlier this week. I had never heard of him but he just got into the race, but he seemed very smart. He didn't speak like a politician and said the main issue with the whole political process is campaign money. Basically said those donations allow corporations to legislate through the politicians than fund.