PDA

View Full Version : Georgia jobs program cited by Obama has big flaws

OnePimpTiger
09-10-2011, 11:54 PM
Georgia jobs program cited by Obama has big flaws (http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/09/09/us-obama-jobs-georgia-idUSTRE7880LV20110909)

Obama told Congress on Thursday in a major speech on jobs that the state-run Georgia Work$ initiative, along with other measures, would help people unemployed for more than six months and he stressed that Republican leaders in Congress supported it...

But Georgia Work$ is being restructured to overcome significant flaws. Even within the state, it is seen as "not a marquee program," said state Labor Commissioner Mark Butler, the Republican elected official who oversees it.

More than 30,000 people benefited from the program in the past, but in its current form, Georgia Work$ is tiny. Only 12 unemployed people signed up in August and 92 have done so since February, according to state Department of Labor statistics...

Butler said the program he inherited in January was virtually bankrupt and "fraught with problems," so he is surprised it has attracted so much national attention.

INTIMADATOR2007
09-11-2011, 10:55 PM
We have alot of Oabma voters who think they don't have to work , so any program anybody tries to install in georgia is bound for failure . They would rather just vote for the Obama in the next election and they'll be set !

mrveggieman
09-12-2011, 07:56 AM
We have alot of Oabma voters who think they don't have to work , so any program anybody tries to install in georgia is bound for failure . They would rather just vote for the Obama in the next election and they'll be set !

What Obama voters exactly are you referring to? I work, pay taxes and voted voted for Obama in 2008 and will vote for him again in 2012. I do not know of any Obama voters who feel that that they don't have to work. Please enlighten us.

duane1969
09-12-2011, 08:59 AM
My guess is he is talking about the ones who are unemployed and have been for some time and have made a "career" out of entitlement programs and they consider themsleves Democrats and support Obama specifically because he has fought from day one to ensure that entitlement programs are funded.

I don't know about INTIMIDATOR2007 but I know people like this. I am not going to name names because that is both prohibited on the site and just not smart, but I have a relative who fits this exact mold.

sanfran22
09-12-2011, 09:07 AM
I don't know, Maybe the lady that was going to get money from "Obama's stash"?? You think that she was an isolated incident??

Star_Cards
09-12-2011, 01:30 PM
What Obama voters exactly are you referring to? I work, pay taxes and voted voted for Obama in 2008 and will vote for him again in 2012. I do not know of any Obama voters who feel that that they don't have to work. Please enlighten us.

^same here.

I'm sure there are plenty of people that live off of the system on both sides. Actually I'd probably make an educated guess that a lot of people who live off of the system and feel like they don't have to work probably don't typically even cast a vote.

Star_Cards
09-12-2011, 01:31 PM
My guess is he is talking about the ones who are unemployed and have been for some time and have made a "career" out of entitlement programs and they consider themsleves Democrats and support Obama specifically because he has fought from day one to ensure that entitlement programs are funded.

I don't know about INTIMIDATOR2007 but I know people like this. I am not going to name names because that is both prohibited on the site and just not smart, but I have a relative who fits this exact mold.

I won't disagree with this. From my experience all of my friends that voted for Obama have employment and contribute to society with tax dollars.

INTIMADATOR2007
09-12-2011, 06:41 PM
I am speaking from everyday experience on this issue , Sure there are a alot of Obama voters like you that work and provide for themselfs without any help from gov. and I applaude them , I concider those people to be the ones who voted based soley on the race issue (first A.American president) including you . Then there are the ones I see everyday and go into there homes sometimes 10-12 diferent homes a day . I do carpet restoration in the Atl. area mostly on the southside in apt. complexes these are the ones who I'm talking about . The southside of ATL. is overrun by sec. 8 housing as is alot of america , and before you go into (those people cant help it ) that's BS . These are the ones i'm talking about . It is not unusuall to see these people sleeping till 1pm , going to the grocery store with there food cards coming home to play video games and smokeing dope the rest of the day. Perfectly fit early to mid 20's with 4 kids with 3 different daddy's . Staying up till 3 in the morning and doing it all over again everyday, does this make me a racist , or someone who sees this crap everyday and speaking from experience. Do i feel bad for these people ..absolutley NOT , Get your lazy butt up and go find a job they are out there . And yet these are the same people who would go to there grave voting for this food stamp president , why , Because they can continue to live the way they live ,on our Dime .Sure they have big rims and a nice stereo in the car ,But they cant pay there own rent or buy there own food to support there kids . Do i feel bad for the kids , Heck yeah . I am a single parent father to my son who is 10 yrs. old and have had him by myself since he was 2 , and have never taken a dime from the gov. . If i need help i go to my family , what do these people do , they invite family to georgia from other states and teach them the way to live off the government some for up to 10-15 years , This is the real problem with this country and it has to stop, However if it gets brought up whoever brings it up is a racist , we are not racist , Just speaking the truth that everybody knows and is scared to bring it up . If these folks dont wake up and see the light they will be forever ruined by our federal government . This is what your president is wanting for all americans , He thinks we should all live under the government . Are the republicans guilty of doing the same thing ..you bet ya' they by votes that way also , But it has gotten sooo much worse with Obama .Look at the food stamp recipent numbers since he got elected , Why are they almost double ,its because of his relentless regulations on bussiness and the successful people of this country . In his eyes we should all live by the government ,and the more that live off Obama the more votes democrats get . This is not your grandfathers democrat party anymore . So what makes anyone think a stupid jobs program are going to help the people who dont want the help .

mrveggieman
09-12-2011, 08:00 PM
You make a lot of good points my friend. I live in Dekalb county and see a lot of what you are talking about in certian parts of the city. However everyone regardless of their race, nationality or political status is guilty of having their hands in the cookie jar. Until there is some type of welfare reform people will continue to abuse the system. You also bought up the point that some people voted for Obama soley because of his race. I do believe that actually occured. But you will have to admit a lot of people voted against Obama because he is black also. On the cool I also didn't have a problem with Mccain I just voted for Obama because I thought that he would have been a better canidate. If it makes you feel any better I would never vote for Herman Cain either.

I am speaking from everyday experience on this issue , Sure there are a alot of Obama voters like you that work and provide for themselfs without any help from gov. and I applaude them , I concider those people to be the ones who voted based soley on the race issue (first A.American president) including you . Then there are the ones I see everyday and go into there homes sometimes 10-12 diferent homes a day . I do carpet restoration in the Atl. area mostly on the southside in apt. complexes these are the ones who I'm talking about . The southside of ATL. is overrun by sec. 8 housing as is alot of america , and before you go into (those people cant help it ) that's BS . These are the ones i'm talking about . It is not unusuall to see these people sleeping till 1pm , going to the grocery store with there food cards coming home to play video games and smokeing dope the rest of the day. Perfectly fit early to mid 20's with 4 kids with 3 different daddy's . Staying up till 3 in the morning and doing it all over again everyday, does this make me a racist , or someone who sees this crap everyday and speaking from experience. Do i feel bad for these people ..absolutley NOT , Get your lazy butt up and go find a job they are out there . And yet these are the same people who would go to there grave voting for this food stamp president , why , Because they can continue to live the way they live ,on our Dime .Sure they have big rims and a nice stereo in the car ,But they cant pay there own rent or buy there own food to support there kids . Do i feel bad for the kids , Heck yeah . I am a single parent father to my son who is 10 yrs. old and have had him by myself since he was 2 , and have never taken a dime from the gov. . If i need help i go to my family , what do these people do , they invite family to georgia from other states and teach them the way to live off the government some for up to 10-15 years , This is the real problem with this country and it has to stop, However if it gets brought up whoever brings it up is a racist , we are not racist , Just speaking the truth that everybody knows and is scared to bring it up . If these folks dont wake up and see the light they will be forever ruined by our federal government . This is what your president is wanting for all americans , He thinks we should all live under the government . Are the republicans guilty of doing the same thing ..you bet ya' they by votes that way also , But it has gotten sooo much worse with Obama .Look at the food stamp recipent numbers since he got elected , Why are they almost double ,its because of his relentless regulations on bussiness and the successful people of this country . In his eyes we should all live by the government ,and the more that live off Obama the more votes democrats get . This is not your grandfathers democrat party anymore . So what makes anyone think a stupid jobs program are going to help the people who dont want the help .

INTIMADATOR2007
09-13-2011, 12:36 AM
You make a lot of good points my friend. I live in Dekalb county and see a lot of what you are talking about in certian parts of the city. However everyone regardless of their race, nationality or political status is guilty of having their hands in the cookie jar. Until there is some type of welfare reform people will continue to abuse the system. You also bought up the point that some people voted for Obama soley because of his race. I do believe that actually occured. But you will have to admit a lot of people voted against Obama because he is black also. On the cool I also didn't have a problem with Mccain I just voved for Obama because I thought that he would have been a better canidate. If it makes you feel any better I would never vote for Herman Cain either.

You are right about Dekalb county also. Its just another black eye on our state . I also go to Memorial drive alot behind the jail on Kennsington. and its the same there also . I am not against helping those who truly need it be it a disability (legit) or just temporaly bad luck for those that have paid into the system . However for someone to have not had a job for an extended period of time(years) and are perfectly capable to work and dont care to because they had several kids and draw social security is just wrong and its theft of our treasure. Be they black ,white ,hispanic, or any other nationality if they dont pay into the system they do not deserve to draw from the system . Lets get this country back to reciveing a paycheck and not a welfare check , I think we can agree on that. But we probably wont agree that to do that we have to vote out Obama and his admnistration .

mrveggieman
09-13-2011, 08:24 AM
You are right about Dekalb county also. Its just another black eye on our state . I also go to Memorial drive alot behind the jail on Kennsington. and its the same there also . I am not against helping those who truly need it be it a disability (legit) or just temporaly bad luck for those that have paid into the system . However for someone to have not had a job for an extended period of time(years) and are perfectly capable to work and dont care to because they had several kids and draw social security is just wrong and its theft of our treasure. Be they black ,white ,hispanic, or any other nationality if they dont pay into the system they do not deserve to draw from the system . Lets get this country back to reciveing a paycheck and not a welfare check , I think we can agree on that. But we probably wont agree that to do that we have to vote out Obama and his admnistration .

I was almost going to give you an amen until you made the Obama comment. Correct me if I'm wrong but people were on welfare while bush was in office too. Welfare was out long before President Obama was a twinkle in his parent's eyes. What we need is welfare reform not playing along party lines.

duane1969
09-13-2011, 09:04 AM
I was almost going to give you an amen until you made the Obama comment. Correct me if I'm wrong but people were on welfare while bush was in office too. Welfare was out long before President Obama was a twinkle in his parent's eyes. What we need is welfare reform not playing along party lines.

I think the anti-Obama sentiment is because his primary focus in all things is funding entitlement programs. It seems that Obama & Co. will sign on to virtually anything as long as it includes protections for welfare programs or funding for special interest projects like community building and social programs.

When Pelosi was asked about the debt ceiling deal the first thing out of her mouth was (I am summarizing) "We voted for it because it protected Medicaid, Medicare, welfare, etc." The entire reason that Dems went along with it was because it ensured that their pet entitlement programs would remain funded.

mrveggieman
09-13-2011, 09:09 AM
I think the anti-Obama sentiment is because his primary focus in all things is funding entitlement programs. It seems that Obama & Co. will sign on to virtually anything as long as it includes protections for welfare programs or funding for special interest projects like community building and social programs.

When Pelosi was asked about the debt ceiling deal the first thing out of her mouth was (I am summarizing) "We voted for it because it protected Medicaid, Medicare, welfare, etc." The entire reason that Dems went along with it was because it ensured that their pet entitlement programs would remain funded.

Need I remind you that your hated dems are also infavor of protecting social security and medicare too programs that we both pay into that currently protect our parents generation and will protect us when we retire and our children when they retire.

pghin08
09-13-2011, 09:32 AM

As a registered Democrat, this stuff makes me sick. If you don't see that our entitlement programs need reformed (not eliminated), then you're blind. Pelosi/Reid, and some other Democratic stalwarts simply refuse to realize this, the same way that some of the hardline Republicans refuse to acknowledge that a tax increase may be necessary somewhere down the line. How is any type of compromise, like the Simpson/Bowles proposal possible with people like this in office?

I'm for social programs, so long as they're run in the most efficient way possible. In my eyes, if a professional athlete is subject to drug testing, a welfare recipient should be too.

I really wish I could vote against Pelosi/Reid. Unfortunately, I can't.

mrveggieman
09-13-2011, 09:35 AM
As a registered Democrat, this stuff makes me sick. If you don't see that our entitlement programs need reformed (not eliminated), then you're blind. Pelosi/Reid, and some other Democratic stalwarts simply refuse to realize this, the same way that some of the hardline Republicans refuse to acknowledge that a tax increase may be necessary somewhere down the line. How is any type of compromise, like the Simpson/Bowles proposal possible with people like this in office?

I'm for social programs, so long as they're run in the most efficient way possible. In my eyes, if a professional athlete is subject to drug testing, a welfare recipient should be too.

+1

I'm all for drug testing welfare and unemployment reciepents. No one is forcing them to take gov't funds. If the want the money then need to accept the terms and conditions.

pghin08
09-13-2011, 09:45 AM
+1

I'm all for drug testing welfare and unemployment reciepents. No one is forcing them to take gov't funds. If the want the money then need to accept the terms and conditions.

The key phrase. Welfare should not be condition-less. I lost the job I had in college (company went belly-up). I was on unemployment for 2 months until I got my real, adult job. All I had to do to get money was go online and tell the government that I didn't work. Boom. Money. That's not right. I would have gladly peed in a cup to prove that I wasn't mooching off the government and that I planned on being on unemployment for as little a time as humanly possible.

As a side note, I felt awful even applying for unemployment benefits online. I can't imagine what it's like to go to an office and stand in a line. I hope I never have to use unemployment again.

duane1969
09-13-2011, 09:46 AM
Need I remind you that your hated dems are also infavor of protecting social security and medicare too programs that we both pay into that currently protect our parents generation and will protect us when we retire and our children when they retire.

I am aware of that. I am also aware that the programs my parents and I have paid into are being bled dry by people who should not be drawing from them. They have become an avenue to get government funding into the hands of the underpriveledged.

Star_Cards
09-13-2011, 09:51 AM

well said. It's hard to take his statements entirely seriously when they seem like a way just to tell us how much he hates Obama. The welfare system has definitely been taken advantage of well before Obama came about and will more than likely be in the same state once the next republican president comes around.

Star_Cards
09-13-2011, 09:53 AM

well said. I feel the exact same way.

INTIMADATOR2007
09-13-2011, 04:58 PM

Did you read the whole statement ?

"Are the republicans guilty of doing the same thing ..you bet ya' they by votes that way also , But it has gotten sooo much worse with Obama "

INTIMADATOR2007
09-13-2011, 05:07 PM
well said. It's hard to take his statements entirely seriously when they seem like a way just to tell us how much he hates Obama. The welfare system has definitely been taken advantage of well before Obama came about and will more than likely be in the same state once the next republican president comes around.

Again did you read the whole statement ?

"Are the republicans guilty of doing the same thing ..you bet ya' they by votes that way also , But it has gotten sooo much worse with Obama"

I do not hate Obama , I just hate the way he governs our country . I do not know the man personaly so i cant hate him . However i do hate the way he and the people that surround him is trying to run our country in the ground because of the way he belives the country should be Fundemantally Transformed . How can ya'll see all the numbers he has created and not feel the country is getting worse? Sure it was bad when he on his own ran for president . His job as president is to make things better not worse .

INTIMADATOR2007
09-13-2011, 05:11 PM
Look at the welfare numbers now that Obama has been in office for almost 3 years they are doubled . So if it was taken advantage of before Obama (in which I agree) who is taking advantage of it now ?...Obama .

mrveggieman
09-14-2011, 09:14 AM
Did you read the whole statement ?

"Are the republicans guilty of doing the same thing ..you bet ya' they by votes that way also , But it has gotten sooo much worse with Obama "

Yes I read your whole statement. I will agree that some things may have got worse under Obama's leadership but things are going to get worse before they get better. This mess that President Obama inherited was so screwed up it really wouldn't have mattered who the president was it was a recipe for disaster. Let me ask you this if/when you get your lovely little republican president in office and we are still in the middle of the same mess that we are in now what are you going to do then? Blame Obama? :confused0024:

Star_Cards
09-14-2011, 09:49 AM
Again did you read the whole statement ?

"Are the republicans guilty of doing the same thing ..you bet ya' they by votes that way also , But it has gotten sooo much worse with Obama"

I do not hate Obama , I just hate the way he governs our country . I do not know the man personaly so i cant hate him . However i do hate the way he and the people that surround him is trying to run our country in the ground because of the way he belives the country should be Fundemantally Transformed . How can ya'll see all the numbers he has created and not feel the country is getting worse? Sure it was bad when he on his own ran for president . His job as president is to make things better not worse .

I'm not talking about that specific statement and was actually glad to see that you threw blame to both parties. My experience is quite a few post of yours' will find a way to get a quick bash in on Obama or liberals. I don't have an issue with you having your opinions at al. Nor do I have issue debating those thoughts and opinions with you, but when a thread is about something unrelated and you reach to get in a jab it gets a little tiring to read. Not saying you do it all the time, but it happens. :hug:

I tend to lean liberal on more matters than not, but have posted about the shortcomings of politicians on both sides of the spectrum rather than just blame the opposite side. Glad to see a post calling out both sides.

Personally I think no matter who is in the white house they'd try to fix things the exact same way so I don't think had McCain won we'd have a much different economical climate. Politicians like to throw tax money at problems to try to solve them because if nothing else it will get them votes and campaign contributions from the people catching the cash. That has to stop before we see any sort of proper action being done politically, for the most part. We need corporations and special interest to have far less influence with politicians and I believe that starts with campaign finance reform. I just don't see how that ever gets started since it effects the people that call the shots.

Star_Cards
09-14-2011, 09:58 AM
Look at the welfare numbers now that Obama has been in office for almost 3 years they are doubled . So if it was taken advantage of before Obama (in which I agree) who is taking advantage of it now ?...Obama .

they are going up because of unemployment is going up. I'm sure there are a lot of factors that cause this... market destabilization, housing bubble bursting, issues with global economies that scare companies from hiring, more globalization of the workforce which allows US companies to hire cheaper labor outside our borders. Seems that the major factor in all of this was within the housing market. Once that went everything else sort of started.

Sure a president can have some effect and I'm in no way saying that Obama is perfect or even close. I voted for him and there are a lot of things that I wish he'd actually do that he said he would. I just find it a bit naive to take all of that and blame a president no matter what his party affiliation happens to be.

mrveggieman
09-14-2011, 10:48 AM
they are going up because of unemployment is going up. I'm sure there are a lot of factors that cause this... Market destabilization, housing bubble bursting, issues with global economies that scare companies from hiring, more globalization of the workforce which allows us companies to hire cheaper labor outside our borders. Seems that the major factor in all of this was within the housing market. Once that went everything else sort of started.

Sure a president can have some effect and i'm in no way saying that obama is perfect or even close. I voted for him and there are a lot of things that i wish he'd actually do that he said he would. I just find it a bit naive to take all of that and blame a president no matter what his party affiliation happens to be.

+1 church!!