PDA

View Full Version : This country is not only bankrupt but 14 trillion+ in the hole but they can do this

theonedru
09-12-2011, 01:13 AM
Basically throw money away on this! Seriously in this economy they can be doing more productive things with the $. Just another reason why we need major gov't reform and possibly a total shutdown of NASA until we can afford buffoon space missions like this.

Twin NASA craft launched to study insides of moon

http://news.yahoo.com/twin-nasa-craft-launched-study-insides-moon-133528542.html

duane1969
09-12-2011, 10:06 AM
NASA launched the near identical probes — named Grail-A and Grail-B — aboard a relatively small Delta II rocket to save money. It will take close to four months for the spacecraft to reach the moon, a long, roundabout journey compared with the zippy three-day trip of the Apollo astronauts four decades ago.

4 months to reach the moon in a roundabout journey?? Translation: spy mission

habsheaven
09-12-2011, 01:59 PM
It would be a total shame if they shut down Nasa. Any money spent on space exploration is money well spent.

And let's put the numbers in perspective. If you owed $14 million. That would be like going out and splurging on a $496.00 treat.

Star_Cards
09-12-2011, 02:24 PM
I don't really agree with he $14 million to $496.00 treat. I could see it when it's one treat, but there are plenty of "treats" being splurged on that could add up quickly.

That said, I don't know if shutting down NASA is where a lot of cutting should be. There are a lot of jobs created because of NASA spending. I could see a reduction to some extent but I don't agree with the "shut NASA down" take.

habsheaven
09-12-2011, 02:34 PM
I don't really agree with he $14 million to $496.00 treat. I could see it when it's one treat, but there are plenty of "treats" being splurged on that could add up quickly.

That said, I don't know if shutting down NASA is where a lot of cutting should be. There are a lot of jobs created because of NASA spending. I could see a reduction to some extent but I don't agree with the "shut NASA down" take.

You don't agree with my numbers? Add 6 zeroes to each. You will come up with $14 trillion (the debt quoted) and $496 million ( the cost of the project). It's going to take a long time for those "treats" to add up.

Star_Cards
09-12-2011, 03:59 PM
You don't agree with my numbers? Add 6 zeroes to each. You will come up with $14 trillion (the debt quoted) and $496 million ( the cost of the project). It's going to take a long time for those "treats" to add up.

not the numbers. the philosophy that if you are in debt $14 trillion it's okay to spend $496 on a treat. That's the philosophy that helps keep people in debt. I agree that it's a huge difference between $14 trillion and $496, but the US government isn't just buying one "treat" every so often. It's more like them buying "treats" every day and multiple times a day in different areas. In my opinion there need to be large cuts and a lot of little cuts to help right the ship budget wise. Just because little cuts are little doesn't mean that they don't help. Besides, the little cuts have added value in that they help breed the habits of saving. In the long run that value could be way more influential than the actual savings itself.

theonedru
09-12-2011, 04:08 PM
It would be a total shame if they shut down Nasa. Any money spent on space exploration is money well spent.

And let's put the numbers in perspective. If you owed $14 million. That would be like going out and splurging on a $496.00 treat.

" Any money spent on space exploration is money well spent. "

not when your in debt it's not. And maybe not shut down NASA but no space exploration junk and nothing spent on anything that in not vital to everyday life in any gov't department

habsheaven
09-12-2011, 04:13 PM
not the numbers. the philosophy that if you are in debt $14 trillion it's okay to spend $496 on a treat. That's the philosophy that helps keep people in debt. I agree that it's a huge difference between $14 trillion and $496, but the US government isn't just buying one "treat" every so often. It's more like them buying "treats" every day and multiple times a day in different areas. In my opinion there need to be large cuts and a lot of little cuts to help right the ship budget wise. Just because little cuts are little doesn't mean that they don't help. Besides, the little cuts have added value in that they help breed the habits of saving. In the long run that value could be way more influential than the actual savings itself.

I would just have to argue that cuts towards projects such as these do more harm then good. Although you do inspire habits of saving, I would not want that to be at the expense of habits of exploration, wonder and learning.