PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Al-Qaeda leader killed in Pakistan

pghin08
09-15-2011, 02:16 PM
http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2011/09/15/another-al-qaeda-leader-killed-in-pakistan/?hpt=hp_t2

2 things:

Number 1: Love him or hate him, it's hard to argue against how successful Obama and his national security team have been with off-ing al-Qaeda leaders. I feel like he's making a really concerted effort to bring al-Qaeda to an end. Way more than Bush did after his invasion of Iraq.

Number 2: When will the general public REALLY start paying attention to Pakistan? I like to read over national security publications in my spare time (which my girlfriend constantly rolls her eyes at), and it just seems so painfully obvious that the biggest international threats to the US lay in Pakistan. I thought getting bin Laden in Pakistan would change that, but it really hasn't.

(Aside: Totally not sure why this article was apparently written by the lead singer from Maroon 5, but whatever)

sanfran22
09-15-2011, 02:24 PM
http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2011/09/15/another-al-qaeda-leader-killed-in-pakistan/?hpt=hp_t2

2 things:

Number 1: Love him or hate him, it's hard to argue against how successful Obama and his national security team have been with off-ing al-Qaeda leaders. I feel like he's making a really concerted effort to bring al-Qaeda to an end. Way more than Bush did after his invasion of Iraq.

Number 2: When will the general public REALLY start paying attention to Pakistan? I like to read over national security publications in my spare time (which my girlfriend constantly rolls her eyes at), and it just seems so painfully obvious that the biggest international threats to the US lay in Pakistan. I thought getting bin Laden in Pakistan would change that, but it really hasn't.

(Aside: Totally not sure why this article was apparently written by the lead singer from Maroon 5, but whatever)

I agree with you that Pakistan is probably not an ally. We do need to get alot tougher on them IMO. That being said, I think W killed/captured a whole lot of Al Qaeda higher-ups. Just didn't get the chief loser.....I am glad Obama is allowing us to get these guys still.

Star_Cards
09-15-2011, 02:33 PM
Glad to see that we are still tracking these guys down. I agree with the Pakistan sentiment. I'd call them partial allies. Definitely some shadiness going on within our "friendship".

greg271126817
09-15-2011, 02:34 PM
I agree with you that Pakistan is probably not an ally. We do need to get alot tougher on them IMO. That being said, I think W killed/captured a whole lot of Al Qaeda higher-ups. Just didn't get the chief loser.....I am glad Obama is allowing us to get these guys still.
I think once you get the #1 guy all the info he has with him will help get others. But i also think we should be in pakistan taking out all those people too since they seem to have a lot of our enemies hiding out, and they want to arrest our informants who helped us get bin laden. I think they are all in it against us and we should just take them all out. :party0053:

pghin08
09-15-2011, 02:38 PM

I don't so much argue about Bush's record against al-Qaeda from Sept 2001-March 2003. He got a lot of high-ranking officials in a short period of time after 9/11, including Khalid Sheikh Mohammad and Ramzi bin-al Shiebh. But once the war in Iraq began, al-Qaeda really seemed to drop from his radar a bit.

And yeah, Pakistan is big trouble for us. They are our allies in name only.

sanfran22
09-15-2011, 02:47 PM
I don't so much argue about Bush's record against al-Qaeda from Sept 2001-March 2003. He got a lot of high-ranking officials in a short period of time after 9/11, including Khalid Sheikh Mohammad and Ramzi bin-al Shiebh. But once the war in Iraq began, al-Qaeda really seemed to drop from his radar a bit.

And yeah, Pakistan is big trouble for us. They are our allies in name only.
Well that's probably to be expected since it was new and not going well at first.....

pghin08
09-15-2011, 03:30 PM
Well that's probably to be expected since it was new and not going well at first.....

To me, whatever was going on in Iraq (particularly because it was so trumped up by Rumsfeld and Cheney) shouldn't serve as an excuse to ignore al-Qaeda.

sanfran22
09-15-2011, 03:46 PM
To me, whatever was going on in Iraq (particularly because it was so trumped up by Rumsfeld and Cheney) shouldn't serve as an excuse to ignore al-Qaeda.
I dont' know if they ignored Al-Qaeda as much as they had way too much going on. I think they were still killing/capturing operatives all the time.