PDA

View Full Version : "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" Repealed

duane1969
09-20-2011, 01:03 PM
I am fine with this. I am just baffled by this statement...

Obama issued a statement saying he is confident that lifting the ban will enhance U.S. national security.

Could somebody please fill me in on how repealing DADT enhances national security? Honestly, I have thought this over and can't think of a single way that knowing who is gay and who is straight in the military will impact national security in any manner. Any ideas?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/09/20/repeal-ban-on-gay-military-service-official-tuesday/?test=latestnews

pghin08
09-20-2011, 01:24 PM
I am fine with this. I am just baffled by this statement...

Could somebody please fill me in on how repealing DADT enhances national security? Honestly, I have thought this over and can't think of a single way that knowing who is gay and who is straight in the military will impact national security in any manner. Any ideas?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/09/20/repeal-ban-on-gay-military-service-official-tuesday/?test=latestnews

Haha, I have no idea. Aside from maybe the fact that it's repeal will encourage more gays to join up. All he has to do is to just say that he did it because it was the morally right thing to do.

mrveggieman
09-20-2011, 01:46 PM
On the cool I was in favor for leaving the dont ask dont tell law just the way it was. Here is my reasoning. If you are in the military you are an employee of the united states gov't. Who you are attratcted to and what you do in the bedroom is your business and not the gov't. Why would you want the gov't to know any more of your personal business besides what they need to know? If someone is in the service and gets asks about their sexual preference they should reply none of your business.

shrewsbury
09-20-2011, 02:11 PM
mrveggieman, great post. this is not only true in this case but personally as well. Being married for 20 years, i am not seeking a sexual relationship, therefore, i could care less about your sexual preferences. i won't ask you and please don't tell me, i just don't care.

sanfran22
09-20-2011, 04:00 PM
In some sort of wierd way I agree. I think they could have lightened the law to not require discharge. I could care less if you are gay or straight, but I don't want to know about your bedroom either...

Hilfiger1975
09-20-2011, 04:01 PM
+1

dfr52
09-20-2011, 04:32 PM
Haha, I have no idea. Aside from maybe the fact that it's repeal will encourage more gays to join up. All he has to do is to just say that he did it because it was the morally right thing to do.

My thought as well.

DaClyde
09-20-2011, 05:28 PM

Repealing DADT doesn't mean the military now has to know who is gay and who is straight, it means they don't have to care about it anymore and can get on with more important matters. It's a simple matter of priorities. Now that all the DADT-related personnel investigations are irrelevant, the investigators can now focus on actual security related problems and stop wasting their time trying to railroad someone out of the military. Also, the affected military population can now stop worrying about hiding part of their life and can be more focused on their job without the constant fear of being investigated and dischaged. Both of those things lead to better security and those are just the obvious points.

duane1969
09-20-2011, 06:22 PM
Repealing DADT doesn't mean the military now has to know who is gay and who is straight, it means they don't have to care about it anymore and can get on with more important matters. It's a simple matter of priorities. Now that all the DADT-related personnel investigations are irrelevant, the investigators can now focus on actual security related problems and stop wasting their time trying to railroad someone out of the military. Also, the affected military population can now stop worrying about hiding part of their life and can be more focused on their job without the constant fear of being investigated and dischaged. Both of those things lead to better security and those are just the obvious points.

I guess if you really think that there was that much manpower going into investigating homosexual troops then that might make sense.

DaClyde
09-20-2011, 07:13 PM
I guess if you really think that there was that much manpower going into investigating homosexual troops then that might make sense.

Any amount was a waste and a distraction.

duane1969
09-21-2011, 09:11 PM
Any amount was a waste and a distraction.

Agreed but how many would it take for them to improve national security? Arguably 1 person can increase national security but I have a feeling that redirected staff was not what was on Obama's mind when he said it.

Star_Cards
09-22-2011, 09:15 AM
On the cool I was in favor for leaving the dont ask dont tell law just the way it was. Here is my reasoning. If you are in the military you are an employee of the united states gov't. Who you are attratcted to and what you do in the bedroom is your business and not the gov't. Why would you want the gov't to know any more of your personal business besides what they need to know? If someone is in the service and gets asks about their sexual preference they should reply none of your business.

It's not about knowing people's sexual preferences. It's about individuals having to hide it in fear of being thrown out of the military. It's a huge difference. Without DADT, individuals will now have the choice to disclose their sexuality if they want to and not be kicked out. They won't have to lie about it to their fellow servicemen and women just out of fear of being found out and booted out.

I agree, the military shouldn't be asking people what their sexual orientation is. I highly doubt they will be doing that.

Star_Cards
09-22-2011, 09:18 AM

Any amount of time that went into kicking out homosexuals once they were found out was and is a waste of time. I've never been in the military but I'd assume there are a lot of legal hoops to jump through to get troops out of the military legally. To me that is wasted time. Plus there are probably many instances where the person getting thrown out is fighting it. That sounds like a lot of legal effort to me.

Star_Cards
09-22-2011, 09:20 AM
Agreed but how many would it take for them to improve national security? Arguably 1 person can increase national security but I have a feeling that redirected staff was not what was on Obama's mind when he said it.

I wouldn't say that this is going to really effect national security one way or the other, but that's really a very minor thing of the actual story.

duane1969
09-22-2011, 09:39 AM
I wouldn't say that this is going to really effect national security one way or the other, but that's really a very minor thing of the actual story.

That was my point. DaClyde said that he thought that the amount of redirected manpower would impact national security and that that was what Obama might have been referring to when he said that repealing DADT would improve national security.

My point was that I didn't think that there would be enough redirected manpower to impact national security enough that it would be noticable or relevant.

Star_Cards
09-22-2011, 10:46 AM
That was my point. DaClyde said that he thought that the amount of redirected manpower would impact national security and that that was what Obama might have been referring to when he said that repealing DADT would improve national security.

My point was that I didn't think that there would be enough redirected manpower to impact national security enough that it would be noticable or relevant.

agreed. I think the action needs way more phrase given to it than trying to figure out how it will boost national security. Kind of sad in this day and age something like this would exist in the US.