PDA

View Full Version : Metro Atlanta voters warm to mass transit

mrveggieman
09-26-2011, 10:17 AM
http://www.ajc.com/news/georgia-politics-elections/metro-atlanta-voters-warm-1188799.html

Why dosen't it surprise me that anytime a project comes up that will benefit the public as a whole the tea party tries to block it?

sanfran22
09-26-2011, 11:36 AM
You mean like the national rapid trains that keep being proposed?? lol.

mrveggieman
09-26-2011, 12:11 PM
You mean like the national rapid trains that keep being proposed?? lol.

To be honest I have heard that they were passing around an idea of national rapid transit but have not heard that much about it. What I am talking about is the endless gridlock that I see everyday in atlanta and I'm sure that our good friend intimidator2007 can vouch for it as well. Driving I-285, I-85 etc to work every day is a nightmare and the train system needs a massive overhall. So unless you work from home or right across the street from your house you are going to have to go through dramma to get to work everyday here in atlanta.

sanfran22
09-26-2011, 12:21 PM
To be honest I have heard that they were passing around an idea of national rapid transit but have not heard that much about it. What I am talking about is the endless gridlock that I see everyday in atlanta and I'm sure that our good friend intimidator2007 can vouch for it as well. Driving I-285, I-85 etc to work every day is a nightmare and the train system needs a massive overhall. So unless you work from home or right across the street from your house you are going to have to go through dramma to get to work everyday here in atlanta.

I have no problem with Atlanta wanting to up their transit system. I see it as a regional issue to be decided by Georgians (as long as it's not federally funded). I understand why the tea party is against the tax aspect.
I am against a national rail system though.

tutall
09-26-2011, 08:30 PM
I have no problem with Atlanta wanting to up their transit system. I see it as a regional issue to be decided by Georgians (as long as it's not federally funded). I understand why the tea party is against the tax aspect.
I am against a national rail system though.

Exactly how I fee about it... I dont care if you use trains in your city but your city should pay for it.... And saying it is best for the group as a whole is just wrong... It is best for those who work and live in a metropolitan area

INTIMADATOR2007
09-27-2011, 08:16 AM
I do drive atleast 100-150 miles a day through Atlanta and hate the traffic , However this is a georgia issue and georgians should have to pay for it . A while back there was a vote to extend martas contract and it was defeated . The same thing happened to clayton county's transit system and it went out of bussisnes , seems to me if people dont take the bus they dont want to pay for it thru a tax increase . The good part of Clayton County's transit going out there has been a couple of private sector companies start up and are making the rounds thru clayon and are doing well in Vans and not polluting the air of Cayton County with all that black smoke that clouds the air when a bus gives it the gas. Marta buses are the worse polluters in the state and nothing ever gets done about it , wheres the green police ..lol..

duane1969
09-27-2011, 08:37 AM
Question: The article says that the population has skyrocketed with the two counties in question increasing half a million in population. Since these people are buying homes, doing business in the area, paying local sales and property taxes...why the need for a tax increase? Where is the additional money that should already exists? More people equals a larger tax base, correct? What is the justification for more taxes?

The basic anti-Tea Party liberal position just doesn't cut it on this one. The people should also be asking why the local government is seeking more taxes for more projects instead of smart fiscal spending to fund the project. In the real world you have to cut corners when unexpected expenses arise. My water pipes burst? I need to spend less on Mt. Dew and cupcakes. Atlanta needs a rail system? Time to cut some corners and trim the fat. I am sure you ATL residents can think of a few things the local government wastes money on.

AUTaxMan
09-27-2011, 10:10 AM
"The draft project list would put about 55 percent of the tax money toward public transportation."

So the rest is just a money grab, no?

sanfran22
09-27-2011, 10:15 AM
"The draft project list would put about 55 percent of the tax money toward public transportation."

So the rest is just a money grab, no?

Sounds like it doesn't it. Same thing that I see all around. Case in point, we had a 9 mil tax on the ballot for the schools in my area. all the teachers, administrators ect used the "it's for the kid's, don't you care about the kids?" ploy so commonly used. So I did alittle digging and come to find out over 80% of that money goes to retirement packages and mandated raises for staff. Makes you go hmmm when you think about it. Point is, do your homework as to why some may be opposed to a tax hike rather then just talking down about them.

AUTaxMan
09-27-2011, 10:21 AM
I think we should raise the income tax to 100% so we could all have free healthcare, food, housing, transportation, and cell phones. That way nobody would be poor, and everyone would get their fair share.

Star_Cards
09-27-2011, 11:24 AM
adding taxes is how politicians balance budgets. how dare you ask them to spend wisely and give up tax payers money that help them buy votes and keep them employed. You are taking food off of their family's table and should be ashamed.

duane1969
09-27-2011, 11:57 AM
adding taxes is how politicians balance budgets. how dare you ask them to spend wisely and give up tax payers money that help them buy votes and keep them employed. You are taking food off of their family's table and should be ashamed.

I know. I am a bad person. Next thing you know I will start expecting politicians to fulfill their campaign promises or some other crazy hair-brained idea...

mrveggieman
09-29-2011, 07:55 AM
Here's more on Georgia's transportation debate:

http://www.ajc.com/news/georgia-politics-elections/a-fight-over-rail-1190924.html