PDA

View Full Version : Islamic lesson stirs controversy in Georgia School

mrveggieman
09-29-2011, 08:40 AM
http://www.ajc.com/news/islamic-example-in-cobb-1190940.html

duane1969
09-29-2011, 09:26 AM
I would like to read what everyone is so upset over before passing judgement. I may be wrong but it appears that some of the people are upset that the letter paints the picture that life as a Muslim woman is a positive, enjoyable lifestyle, something most people disagree with on a humanitarian level.

On the surface, the people seem to be overreacting quite a bit. At the same time, if the lesson was about school uniforms then why have the students read about Sharia law and her fiance having multiple wives?

ensbergcollector
09-29-2011, 11:19 AM
obviously anyone making threats went way too far. However, i agree with the superintendent that there does not appear to be a good reason for this. Even if the point was to study islamic life, a factual based look as opposed to what appears to be a very slanted look would be better.
I would say the same for christianity. If schools looked at christianity (which they usually don't) i would expect it to be fact based and not allow a christian paper written in very persuasive language.

Star_Cards
09-29-2011, 11:36 AM
people tend to get all riled up when it's not their religion that is being talked about in schools. I actually think they should teach religion in school. However they shouldn't preach religion and the main religions should be discussed similarly to how we learned Greek mythology when I was in school.

it says that this essay was included in the lesson so I wonder what other scenarios were presented. Not knowing all of the details of what they discussed I don't have an issue with the teacher educating students of other cultures. Discussing facts about other countries and their cultures and religions is not the same as trying to force a religion on said students. Since when is education about learning only one ideal, culture, or way people live.

How ironic that some of the people complaining about the scenario of a muslim culture and linking that to jihad as a whole was reported with "terrorist threats."

Star_Cards
09-29-2011, 11:41 AM
obviously anyone making threats went way too far. However, i agree with the superintendent that there does not appear to be a good reason for this. Even if the point was to study islamic life, a factual based look as opposed to what appears to be a very slanted look would be better.
I would say the same for christianity. If schools looked at christianity (which they usually don't) i would expect it to be fact based and not allow a christian paper written in very persuasive language.

You don't think schools have topics involving christianity in some way? Our whole culture in america is rooted in christianity so I would have to believe that they do. It would be interesting to get a person of another religion that went to a typical US public school viewpoints about that.

Star_Cards
09-29-2011, 11:43 AM
I would like to read what everyone is so upset over before passing judgement. I may be wrong but it appears that some of the people are upset that the letter paints the picture that life as a Muslim woman is a positive, enjoyable lifestyle, something most people disagree with on a humanitarian level.

On the surface, the people seem to be overreacting quite a bit. At the same time, if the lesson was about school uniforms then why have the students read about Sharia law and her fiance having multiple wives?

I can see that argument. If the lesson was about uniforms/dress code why discuss other aspects of that religion outside of dress code.

sanfran22
09-29-2011, 11:44 AM
You don't think schools have topics involving christianity in some way? Our whole culture in america is rooted in christianity so I would have to believe that they do. It would be interesting to get a person of another religion that went to a typical US public school viewpoints about that.

I went to both a public and private high school. I don't remember anything about Christianity in the public school.

ensbergcollector
09-29-2011, 11:52 AM

Actually no I don't. Most religion based topics are used in social studies or world history. Therefore, the curriculum includes pretty much everything but christianity. I have heard it argued that "they already know about that." If you looked at school curriculum I think you would be surprised to find that no, christianity is not looked at.
And I will reiterate, I wouldn't want anything other than fact based study anyway. From the sounds of the article, the islamic article is no different then if I went to a public school and told them how amazing christianity was and that they should try it.

mrveggieman
09-29-2011, 11:53 AM
people tend to get all riled up when it's not their religion that is being talked about in schools. I actually think they should teach religion in school. However they shouldn't preach religion and the main religions should be discussed similarly to how we learned Greek mythology when I was in school.

it says that this essay was included in the lesson so I wonder what other scenarios were presented. Not knowing all of the details of what they discussed I don't have an issue with the teacher educating students of other cultures. Discussing facts about other countries and their cultures and religions is not the same as trying to force a religion on said students. Since when is education about learning only one ideal, culture, or way people live.

How ironic that some of the people complaining about the scenario of a muslim culture and linking that to jihad as a whole was reported with "terrorist threats."

Church!! :cheer2: I say either give all religions an equal forum to be discussed in school and let the students decide or ban the mention any and all religions including christanity from school.

mrveggieman
09-29-2011, 11:56 AM
Actually no I don't. Most religion based topics are used in social studies or world history. Therefore, the curriculum includes pretty much everything but christianity. I have heard it argued that "they already know about that." If you looked at school curriculum I think you would be surprised to find that no, christianity is not looked at.
And I will reiterate, I wouldn't want anything other than fact based study anyway. From the sounds of the article, the islamic article is no different then if I went to a public school and told them how amazing christianity was and that they should try it.

When I went to middle school during the 1980s we had a history class where the teacher touched on islam, judiasm, and christanity. There were no muslim or jewish students in the class as far as I knew and no one got bent out of shape when islam or judiasm was mentioned. It was just part of the lesson just like anything else that we were taught. We did what we had to do and went on to the next lesson. No big deal.

Star_Cards
09-29-2011, 11:58 AM
I went to both a public and private high school. I don't remember anything about Christianity in the public school.

it's been awhile but topics of christianity came up in my school, whether it was in history class or art class or even literature. I'm not talking about preaching or anything bible schoolish. I'm talking about discussion of historical and cultural facts which the dress code of muslim women falls under in my opinion. Discussing these facts doesn't endorse a religion or culture. It's simply giving a different perspective to the students. I for one enjoy learning about other cultures and knowing what else there is out there.

ensbergcollector
09-29-2011, 11:59 AM
When I went to middle school during the 1980s we had a history class where the teacher touched on islam, judiasm, and christanity. There were no muslim or jewish students in the class as far as I knew and no one got bent out of shape when islam or judiasm was mentioned. It was just part of the lesson just like anything else that we were taught. We did what we had to do and went on to the next lesson. No big deal.

that is all fine. but it is also not how things are anymore. a lot has changed. When i lived in austin, one of the middle schools had their history class spend 2 hours at a mosque and at a hindu temple to learn about other cultures. No visit to a church or jewish temple. That is not uncommon around the country.

mrveggieman
09-29-2011, 12:11 PM
that is all fine. but it is also not how things are anymore. a lot has changed. When i lived in austin, one of the middle schools had their history class spend 2 hours at a mosque and at a hindu temple to learn about other cultures. No visit to a church or jewish temple. That is not uncommon around the country.

It could have been because it was assumed that most of the students have been raised in a christian envoirment and already know something about christanity but in fairness a trip to a local church should have been offered.

ensbergcollector
09-29-2011, 12:16 PM
It could have been because it was assumed that most of the students have been raised in a christian envoirment and already know something about christanity but in fairness a trip to a local church should have been offered.

and that is where I am. i am on the record as saying I am not ok with anything bias toward christianity either. Public school is not the place for that. However, if you are going to study religion, you have to be fair to all.

Star_Cards
09-29-2011, 12:22 PM

maybe they think those are the two typical cultures within the US so they didn't need to go? I would think they should hit all the major ones if they are doing this. There may be students not knowledgeable of the then even if they are more prevalent.