PDA

View Full Version : just a personal thing.

bearfield
10-03-2011, 11:06 PM
i'll pass on espn and monday night football tonight, since they pulled hank willians jr because he used his freedom of speech rights and expressed his opinion.

MarionAutos
10-03-2011, 11:19 PM
Ya kinda stupid but im still watching lol

rudeboy
10-03-2011, 11:19 PM
i missed what he said.

PRTHD
10-03-2011, 11:58 PM
yes i too missed what he said, what happened.

WVcoltsfan
10-04-2011, 03:21 AM
Im sure they were broken up about your absence, bearfield! :winking0071:

Basically, Hank Williams compared President Obama and House Speaker John Boehner playing golf together this summer to Hitler and Netanyahu playing together. The exact quote was "Come on! It'd be like Hitler playing golf with (Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin) Netanyahu."

timb69
10-04-2011, 01:46 PM
Here's the thing. He has his freedom of speech. He was free to make the comments that he did. THEN you need to look at his EMPLOYER and the image they have to portray. HWJ was free to make those comments, and ESPN had the freedom to nix him from their program for what he said. Freedom of speech doesn't mean that you can say whatever you want, damn the consequences. :)

Kickstand54
10-04-2011, 02:07 PM
Here's the thing. He has his freedom of speech. He was free to make the comments that he did. THEN you need to look at his EMPLOYER and the image they have to portray. HWJ was free to make those comments, and ESPN had the freedom to nix him from their program for what he said. Freedom of speech doesn't mean that you can say whatever you want, damn the consequences. :)

Absolutely agree.

bangsportscards
10-04-2011, 02:14 PM
To add sometimes what's in your heart isn't always the best thing and then as we see here consequences follow.

Brian

frizzzlecake
10-04-2011, 04:56 PM
I just want to know the idiot who asked HWJ a poltical question? That guy deserves to be fired, obviously he's a troll in disgueise.

pghin08
10-04-2011, 05:13 PM
I just want to know the idiot who asked HWJ a poltical question? That guy deserves to be fired, obviously he's a troll in disgueise.

Darn straight. But the fact is that he didn't compare Hitler to Obama on ESPNs watch. He did it on his own time. I don't think ESPN should punish him at all.

Hilfiger1975
10-04-2011, 05:14 PM
bingo! common sense FTW!

tboculosis
10-04-2011, 05:30 PM
The first amendment does allow freedom of speech. However, comparing anybody to one of the worst human beings to have ever walked the earth on national television is unjustifiable. Expect repercussions and to be reprimanded. Hank Williams, Jr. is just as ignorant as Kanye West. They both need to practice .

Hilfiger1975
10-04-2011, 05:32 PM
The first amendment does allow freedom of speech. However, comparing anybody to one of the worst human beings to have ever walked the earth on national television is unjustifiable. Expect repercussions and to be reprimanded. Hank Williams, Jr. is just as ignorant as Kanye West. They both need to practice .
:love0030:

bearfield
10-04-2011, 07:52 PM

you apparently missed this part of the article.

“While Hank Williams, Jr. is not an ESPN employee,

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-10-03/espn-pulls-hank-williams-jr-from-monday-night-football-after-obamahitler-comment#ixzz1Zr9VINid

bearfield
10-04-2011, 07:53 PM
darn straight. But the fact is that he didn't compare hitler to obama on espns watch. He did it on his own time. I don't think espn should punish him at all.

how true.

bearfield
10-04-2011, 08:01 PM
I STILL LIKE ALL THE DIXIE CHICKS, even the one that is ashamed she is from texas because bush is too.

duwal
10-04-2011, 09:05 PM

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-10-03/espn-pulls-hank-williams-jr-from-monday-night-football-after-obamahitler-comment#ixzz1Zr9VINid

he's not an ESPN employee but he is still contractually connected to ESPN because of the Monday Night intro. If they wanted to they could have had the right to void the contract.

Maybe you think that he had the right to do that but comparing the president of the United States to a man who wanted to murder an entire group of people is beyond out of line

timb69
10-04-2011, 10:08 PM
Darn straight. But the fact is that he didn't compare Hitler to Obama on ESPNs watch. He did it on his own time. I don't think ESPN should punish him at all.

But, the fact that he is a representative of ESPN and the face of their MNF program, it's still a black eye on ESPN. No matter when or where he said it.

bearfield
10-04-2011, 10:08 PM
he's not an ESPN employee but he is still contractually connected to ESPN because of the Monday Night intro. If they wanted to they could have had the right to void the contract.

Maybe you think that he had the right to do that but comparing the president of the United States to a man who wanted to murder an entire group of people is beyond out of line

there are people in this country that believe our youth are sent overseas to fight and be cannon fodder. most politicians and their kids do not serve overseas where they would risk death. why do you think that is?
some people with a little age are aware of these things and aren't happy to see young americans die for political reasons.
hank williams jr is a little opinionated, besides being one hell of an entertainer. so what!

timb69
10-04-2011, 10:14 PM

Oh okay, my bad. Even more to proving my point. He's not even an employee of ESPN, so ESPN dropping him for his comments is more within their rights. He was free to make his comments, and ESPN was free to react. Our actions have consequences.

duane1969
10-04-2011, 10:49 PM
I STILL LIKE ALL THE DIXIE CHICKS, even the one that is ashamed she is from texas because bush is too.

Boy she killed their career with her mouth didn't she? I saw the other two have an album out but haven't heard anything from it.

timb69
10-04-2011, 11:00 PM
Boy she killed their career with her mouth didn't she? I saw the other two have an album out but haven't heard anything from it.

Exactly! They exercised their right to free speech, and the "fans" exercised their right to boycott them :)

Ray Rice Collector
10-04-2011, 11:31 PM
there are people in this country that believe our youth are sent overseas to fight and be cannon fodder. most politicians and their kids do not serve overseas where they would risk death. why do you think that is?
some people with a little age are aware of these things and aren't happy to see young americans die for political reasons.
hank williams jr is a little opinionated, besides being one hell of an entertainer. so what!

Just to jog your memory it was not President Obama who started the war it was Bush and further more Obama is trying to end it. The bottom line is this as stated before ESPN should have fired his azz. To come out and make coments like that just shows his ignorance and you objecting to the consquences just shows yours.

Umpy9
10-05-2011, 08:17 AM
Thank god, that guy was obnoxious to listen to before a game.

timb69
10-05-2011, 09:51 AM
Just to jog your memory it was not President Obama who started the war it was Bush and further more Obama is trying to end it. The bottom line is this as stated before ESPN should have fired his azz. To come out and make coments like that just shows his ignorance and you objecting to the consquences just shows yours.

Actually, NO President can start ANY war. Remember, CONGRESS voted on HJ RES 114, to authorize the war. DEMOCRATS also voted for the war. 29 of 49 DEMS in the Senate voted for the war. Bush couldn't have done anything without THEIR approval.

And WHO is trying to "end" the war in Iraq? Obama, who keeps funding it and keeping it going? Democrats ran on the platform of ending the wars in 2006, when they took control of Congress in January 2007, and still kept the war going. Obama also promised to close GOTMO. How's that one coming along?

BTW, if you're going to call someone "ignorant", you MIGHT want to use a spell check before submitting your posts :)

BTW, bearfield is exercising his RIGHTS as an American citizen to voice displeasure over HWJ getting the axe.

Hilfiger1975
10-05-2011, 09:56 AM
Actually, NO President can start ANY war. Remember, CONGRESS voted on HJ RES 114, to authorize the war. DEMOCRATS also voted for the war. 29 of 49 DEMS in the Senate voted for the war. Bush couldn't have done anything without THEIR approval.

And WHO is trying to "end" the war in Iraq? Obama, who keeps funding it and keeping it going? Democrats ran on the platform of ending the wars in 2006, when they took control of Congress in January 2007, and still kept the war going. Obama also promised to close GOTMO. How's that one coming along?

BTW, if you're going to call someone "ignorant", you MIGHT want to use a spell check before submitting your posts :)

BTW, bearfield is exercising his RIGHTS as an American citizen to voice displeasure over HWJ getting the axe.
America loves to war, period.

bearfield
10-05-2011, 10:06 AM

i never said that obama started the war, what i said is that politicians send our boys to war with no regard for their safety.
all the politicians in congress are concerned about is themselves and continuing to make money at the public trough like the pigs they are.
so, who wants to fire me for my statement? i don't have a career so no worry there.
for those that lack understanding, i never defended his statement, just his right to say it.
can't see and don't care what hilfiger said, he got hisself on my ignore list.

Hilfiger1975
10-05-2011, 10:13 AM
i never said that obama started the war, what i said is that politicians send our boys to war with no regard for their safety.
all the politicians in congress are concerned about is themselves and continuing to make money at the public trough like the pigs they are.
so, who wants to fire me for my statement? i don't have a career so no worry there.
for those that lack understanding, i never defended his statement, just his right to say it.
I'm on your ignore list, but for some funny reason you still reply to my comments and brag about how i'm on your "ignore" list. If that's not love/worship nothing is...

bearfield
10-05-2011, 10:46 AM

BTW, bearfield is exercising his RIGHTS as an American citizen to voice displeasure over HWJ getting the axe.[/QUOTE]

BTY, i don't need to use spell check because of all the sweet people that are willing to point out any mistake i make, and i am thankful for them. not MYCHAGITYM.

BTY, i never said i agree with HWJ, i just said he has a right to express his opinion, and i still think he does, and the so called news reporters that goaded him on should be fired as they were looking for sensationalism, not news, especially the bimbo in the middle.

BTY, the dixie chicks were millionaires, and HWJ is a multi-millionaire, so i believe that they can tell their detractors something that i can't print on here.

BTY, these are just my opinions,please don't fire me, or remove me from your program if they offend someone. :cheer2: :cheer2:

bdubs3316
10-05-2011, 11:42 AM

Let me guess...Obama is the cause for our banking situation too, right? It didnt start under Bush's 8 years?

Personally, I dont see what is wrong with HWJ's statement. He DID NOT compare Obama to Hitler directly....he was comparing two parties that are far apart in their beliefs being together.

Obama and Boehner dont see eye to eye....just like Hitler and Netanyahu are polar opposites. It is an exaggeration, but I see what he was saying.

Republicans and Democrats are fighting over who is right, when in actuality, they are both right and wrong at the same time, but they wont budge on their beliefs either way for the common good.

timb69
10-05-2011, 12:00 PM
BTY, i don't need to use spell check because of all the sweet people that are willing to point out any mistake i make, and i am thankful for them. not MYCHAGITYM.

BTY, i never said i agree with HWJ, i just said he has a right to express his opinion, and i still think he does, and the so called news reporters that goaded him on should be fired as they were looking for sensationalism, not news, especially the bimbo in the middle.

BTY, the dixie chicks were millionaires, and HWJ is a multi-millionaire, so i believe that they can tell their detractors something that i can't print on here.

BTY, these are just my opinions,please don't fire me, or remove me from your program if they offend someone. :cheer2: :cheer2:

My response was towards pee632, not you :)

pghin08
10-05-2011, 12:15 PM
Let me guess...Obama is the cause for our banking situation too, right? It didnt start under Bush's 8 years?

Personally, I dont see what is wrong with HWJ's statement. He DID NOT compare Obama to Hitler directly....he was comparing two parties that are far apart in their beliefs being together.

Obama and Boehner dont see eye to eye....just like Hitler and Netanyahu are polar opposites. It is an exaggeration, but I see what he was saying.

Republicans and Democrats are fighting over who is right, when in actuality, they are both right and wrong at the same time, but they wont budge on their beliefs either way for the common good.

Actually it didn't. Most of the predatory lending and subsequent subprime mortgage-backed securities products were spawned from Reagan's massive deregulation of the financial markets.

pghin08
10-05-2011, 12:18 PM

Exactly. He's totally wrong on what he said, but last time I read the Constitution, the first amendment gives EVERYONE the right to free speech, it doesn't say anything about a celebrity exclusion.

And yes, I understand that the government itself is not persecuting Hank Williams Jr. for what he said, but ESPN is.

bdubs3316
10-05-2011, 12:44 PM
Actually it didn't. Most of the predatory lending and subsequent subprime mortgage-backed securities products were spawned from Reagan's massive deregulation of the financial markets.

My point was...the blame gets sent at Obama, when he just inherited the problem....not created it.

Only so much he can do to get us out of where we are currently.

asujbl
10-05-2011, 01:05 PM
I didn't read this whole thread - but the "freedom of speech" thing always cracks me up. It's so simple a 5 year old can figure it out

Everyone has freedom of speech - that does not equal freedom from consequences.

timb69
10-05-2011, 01:09 PM
My point was...the blame gets sent at Obama, when he just inherited the problem....not created it.

This here is a good read.

http://factcheck.org/2008/10/who-caused-the-economic-crisis/

bdubs3316
10-05-2011, 01:09 PM
All I have to say is this is SO OVERBLOWN, it isn't even funny. He didnt compare either Obama or Boehner to Hitler or Netanyahu....he compare the grouping of Obama and Boehner playing golf together to that of Hitler and Netanyahu playing golf together.

This equates to 2 people who have major differences in beliefs and standards.

Would be very similar to say that the Roadrunner and Wyle E. Coyote went out for a nice dinner and a movie.

Just pitting 2 opposites against each other....not that big of a deal in my book.

This is they way I'm interpreting the statement.

TrixStar
10-05-2011, 02:12 PM
Using Hitler in any comparison is just stupid. Hank is an idiot redneck and his father is probably rolling over in his grave at the way he acts.

bdubs3316
10-05-2011, 02:14 PM
Using Hitler in any comparison is just stupid. Hank is an idiot redneck and his father is probably rolling over in his grave at the way he acts.

I agree it wasnt the smartest thing to do...but I'd like to think he did it to signify the difference between Obama and Boehner.

But all in all....he shouldve used someone else as a comparison.

bearfield
10-05-2011, 11:22 PM
My response was towards pee632, not you :)

i apologise to you, my bad.

bearfield
10-05-2011, 11:26 PM

yeah, it seems like the republicans won't let him get anything through. he will end up looking like the bad guy.

duwal
10-06-2011, 03:22 PM
looks like Hank is out the door for good

bearfield
10-06-2011, 05:17 PM
looks like Hank is out the door for good

i didn't hear that, poor hank, he'll probably have to settle for concerts and stadiums to make a living. probably only make 30 or so million a year. what will he do? LMAO

duwal
10-06-2011, 06:46 PM
i didn't hear that, poor hank, he'll probably have to settle for concerts and stadiums to make a living. probably only make 30 or so million a year. what will he do? LMAO

wow, you really do live in make believe land :party0053:

bearfield
10-06-2011, 06:53 PM
wow, you really do live in make believe land :party0053:

it you actually think that it will hurt hank, you are the one living in make believe land, with alice and the white rabbit.

duwal
10-06-2011, 08:00 PM
it you actually think that it will hurt hank, you are the one living in make believe land, with alice and the white rabbit.

says the guy that thinks he makes anywhere close to 30 million a year. Pretty sure without the payments from ESPN he's much close to my 1 million a year. This isn't Clint Black or Keith Urban we're talking about here

leopards40
10-06-2011, 08:10 PM
says the guy that thinks he makes anywhere close to 30 million a year. Pretty sure without the payments from ESPN he's much close to my 1 million a year. This isn't Clint Black or Keith Urban we're talking about here

Whats your job that you make a million?

duwal
10-06-2011, 08:12 PM
Whats your job that you make a million?

trademark attorney in California

leopards40
10-06-2011, 08:14 PM
trademark attorney in California

Huh, hopefully i can have a job like that someday lol

bearfield
10-07-2011, 02:26 PM

if you think you make close to what hank makes, you need to get off the drugs you're taking.
espn didn't make hank, he made monday night football, or doesn't your drug fuddled mind remember the year they didn't use hank?
just curious about who wrote
ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL?
I WOULD BET IT WASN'T ANYBODY AT ESPN.

Hilfiger1975
10-07-2011, 02:27 PM
Barry Sanders is replacing Hank...

P.S. Hank didn't make MNF, just like MNF didn't make Hank...boy common sense is totally getting thrown out the window now...lol...

asujbl
10-07-2011, 02:52 PM

I can tell you for a FACT that you are way off.

bearfield
10-07-2011, 05:00 PM

you're right, he isn't black or urban, williams will fill a stadium faster than either of those guys.
i wonder what lame act espn will get to replace hank? hope they do better than they did last time. sure it won't be black or urban, not enough fan base.

Hilfiger1975
10-07-2011, 05:03 PM
you're right, he isn't black or urban, williams will fill a stadium faster than either of those guys.
i wonder what lame act espn will get to replace hank? hope they do better than they did last time. sure it won't be black or urban, not enough fan base.
Barry Sanders...and in my OPINION the best RB EVER...

duwal
10-07-2011, 05:56 PM
I can tell you for a FACT that you are way off.

alright then, show me his gross income for the past year. Huge acts like Carrie Underwood ($20 million) and Sugarland ($18 million) were at the bottom of the top 10 list last year for country

themanishere
10-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Hank didn't make MNF, just like MNF didn't make Hank...boy common sense is totally getting thrown out the window now...lol...

Seriously. I don't give a crap about ESPN replacing him. There are always consequences.

bearfield
10-07-2011, 08:21 PM
Seriously. I don't give a crap about ESPN replacing him. There are always consequences.

true about the consequences, but the music will never be as good.
i wish i would have recorded the song a few times.

bearfield
10-07-2011, 09:45 PM
here you are boys and girls, this is how its done.

For his part, Williams wrote on his site he walked away, rather than being given the boot.

"After reading hundreds of e-mails, I have made MY decision. By pulling my opening Oct 3rd, You (ESPN) stepped on the Toes of The First Amendment Freedom of Speech, so therefore Me, My Song, and All My Rowdy Friends are OUT OF HERE. It’s been a great run."

HO HO HO, ESPN

asujbl
10-10-2011, 10:20 AM
alright then, show me his gross income for the past year. Huge acts like Carrie Underwood ($20 million) and Sugarland ($18 million) were at the bottom of the top 10 list last year for country

I've personally written a check to Hank Williams before for a performance. I am well aware of what his guarantee is for shows. No where did I say he made 30 million like the other poster did - but your $1M estimate isn't even close.

RGM81
10-10-2011, 10:26 AM
Since this is more about politics than it is about football, moving to the appropriate forum. Carry on if you so choose, but keep the personal comments out of it please.

theonedru
10-10-2011, 04:52 PM

For your viewing pleasure and others

Any foul or hostile language used in SCF will not be tolerated. This includes any derogatory statements and profanity.

Direct or indirect personal attacks are strictly not permitted. Insults and negative attitudes are not allowed.

Bans from the P&R forum as well as infractions can occur if this continues

GeddonM3
10-10-2011, 09:24 PM
i dont see why celebs or anyone for that matter making this kind of statement should be such a shocker and firing people for it. i mean how many times did we see Bush get compared to Hitler? i remember it seeing it all over the place, but now you put Obama and Hitler in the same sentence and its all the sudden a bad thing lol?

seriously the hitler thing is old, boring and played out as none of our Presidents are like Hitler, but at the same he was not calling Obama Hitler, he mentioned how crazy it was for Boehner and Obama playing golf together because they are simply complete opposites and they do not at all respect eachother, so it would in that sense be like Hitler and Netanyahu playing golf together lol.

people took it too far like always and mad a mountain out of an ant hill.

im still watching though, i never let politics make my decision for me.

theonedru
10-10-2011, 09:31 PM
i dont see why celebs or anyone for that matter making this kind of statement should be such a shocker and firing people for it. i mean how many times did we see Bush get compared to Hitler? i remember it seeing it all over the place, but now you put Obama and Hitler in the same sentence and its all the sudden a bad thing lol?

seriously the hitler thing is old, boring and played out as none of our Presidents are like Hitler, but at the same he was not calling Obama Hitler, he mentioned how crazy it was for Boehner and Obama playing golf together because they are simply complete opposites and they do not at all respect eachother, so it would in that sense be like Hitler and Netanyahu playing golf together lol.

people took it too far like always and mad a mountain out of an ant hill.

im still watching though, i never let politics make my decision for me.

They both do have/had death squads that have the authority to kill even their own countrymen if need be, they are both in positions of power, they both have lied and manipulated their countrymen so you cannot say there is nothing comparable.........

GeddonM3
10-10-2011, 09:41 PM
They both do have/had death squads that have the authority to kill even their own countrymen if need be, they are both in positions of power, they both have lied and manipulated their countrymen so you cannot say there is nothing comparable.........

lol until we figure out that either of these 2 men had an agenda to wipe out a certain people of religion or ethnicity,truly control the world,completely and utterly destroy multiple countries as Hitler did and dont even say Iraq and Afghanistan are anything close to that, and also tried to create a master race............. they dont have a thing on Hitler.

all politicians lie as do regular everyday people, alot of people are in a position of power. they are simply minor politicians when in comparison to Hitler lol.

so lets get real. Obama sure as heck anything like Hitler since Hitler never kissed anyones but and apologised like a little girl. and Bush was just wanting to kick some butt for what happened to us, retalliation for 9/11 mixed in with a lil vandetta against Saddam to kill him for his daddy.

Hitler is a completely different beast.

mrveggieman
10-11-2011, 11:16 AM
Wow. I haven't been on here in a couple of days so let me add my 2 cents. I thought that HWJ MNF intro was kind of catchy......back in 1989. The song is played out and is time for change. HWJ also talked about freedom of speech but again despite what some people believe espn is not a gov't organization but rather a private business so they are well within their right to terminate their business arrangement with him if he does or says something that would reflect negatively on espn. Yes he has the right to say whatever he wants on fox news, however if he does he must be prepared to accept the consequences.

sanfran22
10-11-2011, 11:41 AM
His new song is pretty funny....

bearfield
10-11-2011, 02:35 PM
His new song is pretty funny....

yes it is.

duane1969
10-11-2011, 03:14 PM

Since Hank Jr. is retired from touring that is hardly comparable. During the 80's Hank Jr. was the Carrie Underwood/Sugarland/Brad Paisley of country music all rolled into one. His net worth is around $50 million, not bad when you consider he earned it selling cassette tapes at $4.99 each and concert tickets at $15 each, not the modern day earnings of $18-$20 per CD and $75 per concert ticket like Underwood and others enjoy.

Let's see if Ms. Underwood or Sugarland can top this...

ACM Entertainer of the Year - 1986, 1987, 1988
CMA Entertainer of the Year - 1987, 1988
ACM Video of the Year - 1984, 1988, 1989*
CMA Video of the Year - 1985, 1987, 1989*
CMA Album of the Year - 1988
Grammy Winner - 1989
Emmy Winner - 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994

*(note that only 1 time in 6 years did he not win either ACM or CMA Video of the Year)

Underwood might come close to his accomplishments or even surpass them. Sugarland won't.

And as much as Underwood is liked, I find it hard to believe that she would be embraced as the MNF singer. No matter who it is, nobody can belt "Are you ready for some football!!???" like Hank Jr.

Also the MNF song is set to the tune of "All My Rowdy Friends" so the song itself will have to be changed, not just the singer.

bearfield
10-11-2011, 08:19 PM
Since Hank Jr. is retired from touring that is hardly comparable. During the 80's Hank Jr. was the Carrie Underwood/Sugarland/Brad Paisley of country music all rolled into one. His net worth is around $50 million, not bad when you consider he earned it selling cassette tapes at $4.99 each and concert tickets at $15 each, not the modern day earnings of $18-$20 per CD and $75 per concert ticket like Underwood and others enjoy.

Grammy Winner - 1989

*(note that only 1 time in 6 years did he not win either ACM or CMA Video of the Year)

Underwood might come close to his accomplishments or even surpass them. Sugarland won't.

And as much as Underwood is liked, I find it hard to believe that she would be embraced as the MNF singer. No matter who it is, nobody can belt "Are you ready for some football!!???" like Hank Jr.

Also the MNF song is set to the tune of "All My Rowdy Friends" so the song itself will have to be changed, not just the singer.

HANK JR owns that song, lock, stock, and barrel.

duwal
10-11-2011, 09:48 PM

Grammy Winner - 1989

why are you bringing up his accomplishments from 15-25 years ago? The discussion is on what Hank is making present day. Bearfield claimed that after being kicked off MNF Hank will have to be fine with just making around 30 million a year. And I'm saying he is not even close to that kind of total for this year or next year especially without the residuals and salary from the MNF intro. I showed that Carrie and Sugarland were 9th and 10th for country artists this past year in earnings after totaling up concert sales, CD sales, merchandise, appearances, etc.