PDA

View Full Version : Garage Sale Pickup Legitimacy?

magnificent5762
10-09-2011, 02:11 AM
Sup guys. I swung by a few garage sales with my dad today after my game and I ended up stopping at one with an old lady selling tons of various stuff. At one table she had some baseball stuff that she said was her son's, a few older ripped Yankee posters, some 80s junk wax, and an older ball box. The box was an Offical AL Bobby Brown Ball box. I popped it open and to my surprise, it was signed. It was signed on all panels by various players. The woman had no idea what it was and I ended up with it for $7, figured it was worth a shot.

Heres the kicker, it's a Mantle Sig on the sweet spot. Immediately I assumed most of the sigs were fake but for $7 I took the shot. They're all varied, not close to each other, and none are done in the same pen. My camera's dead right now, so I'll add better pics tomorrow, but heres a cell-phone picture of the Mantle. It doesnt look too bad, but compared to my legit Mantle ball, the second M it worrying me a little with the loop crossing itself on the bottom.

http://i931.photobucket.com/albums/ad156/magnificent5762/Autos/1009110102a.jpg?t=1318136980

(Horrible picture I know, but i'll get pics of all the sigs with an actual camera tomorrow)

Heres a list of the names I can make out: 14 Total

Mickey Mantle
Tom Sturdivant
Whitey Ford
Ralph Houk
Tom Hord (?)
Hank Bauer
Jake Tiller(?)
Gene Monahan
Rick Funaro (?)
Bill Skowron
Mickey Rivers
Steve Donahue
Bucky Dent (looks wayyy off his real sig)
Nick Tista (?)

Odds are this thing is fake. But its weird, its not one period of players. And the varying from Mantle to Monahan to Sturdivant makes me wonder if some are real and some are possibly clubhouse sigs? I dont see anyone faking a Tom Sturdivant or Gene Monahan. Like I said I'll add more pics tomorrow, but let me know what you think.

Fisk-Factor75
10-09-2011, 02:12 AM
Could be real....maybe from an old timers day at Yankee Stadium

beachboy22
10-09-2011, 02:16 AM
I have seen a few mantle balls that have the little loop on the M that are legit so it could possibly be real. For 7 bucks though I definitly would say it was worth the risk. And that's a good thought about old timers day possibly being a reason for time period of the payees variation.

magnificent5762
10-09-2011, 01:15 PM
I didnt even think about old timers day. Thats a possibility. Looking at most of the sigs, mainly Mantle, Ford, Houk, Sturdivant, and Bauer, their pretty close to examples I've looked up. The only issue I have is that the bucky dent signature is way far off. The rest I just cant find/identify. But i'll post some pictures later.

Is there any way to get this legitimized without paying hundreds to PSA or JSA or something like that?

gators241987
10-09-2011, 02:02 PM
I believe your looking at $150+ in fees.

magnificent5762
10-09-2011, 07:13 PM
I believe your looking at $150+ in fees.
Yeah I figured. Is there any kind of way I can get this looked at for an opinon for less? Even if its not solid and there is no COA I just wanna know for myself. Im a big Yankee fan so I probably wouldnt sell it anyway.

gators241987
10-09-2011, 11:33 PM
Pm me

SportsLover57
10-10-2011, 04:15 AM
For $7.00!? Either that woman was completely stupid or she didn't really value baseballs as much as baseball collectors do.

Gosh darn, if this signature turns out to be real, I'd be shocked. How the heck did you find a treasure like that? That's priceless. What was the old woman thinking!?

sprtsrul11
10-12-2011, 04:17 PM
are you selling it?

magnificent5762
10-12-2011, 04:49 PM
are you selling it?

probably not. I'd rather keep it. But shoot me an offer if you wanna.

Btw sorry for the wait everyone but I'm trynig to figure out how to get clear pics of the sigs.. Ive tried every camera I own, even tried my mom's camera which is a real nice one and nothing. Any tips?

taaamps
01-02-2012, 10:17 PM
I've never seen him sign his "M" like that but the fact that there are other sigs on the ball leads me to believe it's real. The other signatures bring the value down of the ball so i don't see why someone would add Mantle to it, especially on the sweetspot. For $7 you can't go wrong.

deemurdock
01-02-2012, 10:30 PM
Doesn't look like his real signature imo. Also if you want to get a better picture, shoot the pic in high lighting. The reason its coming out like that is because your shooting in low-light and there is a lot of jpeg artifact.

souperman79
01-02-2012, 11:20 PM
With so many Mantle fakes out there I would be hesitant to say it's real. Mantle is what started the guys that were caught during Operation Bullpen.

bdcsports
01-05-2012, 11:22 PM
The only issue I have is that the bucky dent signature is way far off.

It's pretty likely legit. Have you ever written your name on a piece of paper and then tried to do the same on a round ball>? LOL doesn't always turn out the same.

Stone Dude
01-06-2012, 02:12 AM
Use the macro setting. It's the picture of a flower

HOF collecting
02-02-2012, 09:59 AM
I will end the discussion... I'll pay you DOUBLE what you paid for it! It's legit.